After recently ditching my old laptop and getting a tablet, I downloaded fmh.

In all truthfulness I wasn't, expecting it to be much cop.........

Well how wrong was I, it feels like I have been in a time machine and gone back to the older cm games I used to lose half my life to.

So kudos to all, and thanks for keeping my FM flame alive :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, totally fixed by it. I have had a couple of the newer versions of FM on PC, but being of the older CM generation, and married with a child, I don't get the time to spend on the full version. Spending an hour or so a day on the train playing a cut down version like my favourite 00/01 version is brilliant!!

• SI Staff
Incidentally, talking of nostalgia, is there likely to be a retro version available for mobiles, like the old Domark CM93/94?!?!?!?! :D

I'd love to do this - unfortunately from a licencing perspective I don't think its feasible ... sorry.

I recently downloaded (legally) a copy of CM 00/01. I used to love playing this game on my old battered laptop which had just about enough processing power and memory to run a single league. It was a real nostalgia trip and playing it on a modern laptop meant I could select pretty much every league available and whizz through the season.

One thing that sprung to mind when playing CM 00/01 was how similar the game plays to FMH (so well done to SI!). Obviously there are differences between the two such as the skin design and the fact that CM 00/01 has a far bigger selection of leagues to choose from. I also like the the fact that you can fine players on CM00/01 - a feature I would love in FMH. However, after a couple of hours play on CM 00/01, I was pining for FMH again.

Another game I used to play around the time of the early versions of CM was a management sim called 'On the Ball'. It wasn't as good as CM but I used to enjoy the in-game animations that formed part of the match experience.

And then going further back was Football Manager (same name, no relation) on the Spectrum..

There are 1970s and 1980s versions of CM available as an app

Played them for about a day but they are pretty basic compared to the beast that is FMH

Edit : Just remembered why I stopped playing them after a few days ..

Bought some amazing players in '86 like Platini, Van Basten, Matthaus, Cezero, Brady, Klinsman, Souness but game kept crashing when I tried to sign El Diego

That's what I get for being unfaithful to FMH !!!

Archived