Can I Install Older Games on Windows 7?

hi guys, I have just got a new PC, windows 7, I have saves that I still often play on Football Manager 2007, can I install it? When I try to install it, the colour scheme changes to basic and when I click ''install'' at the end, this is the message I get:

''Summary not available.

This may be a result of an invalid summary type request --e.g. requesting and install summary when an uninstall has occurred''

what can I do?

Get a windows XP disc is what I would do. It might be hold and might restrict RAM, but its still the best windows ever made. I got Vista on my laptop and I friggin hate it, only reason I keep it is because the factory reset is Vista OS. Vista is horrible. My girlfriend got windows 7 on her laptop and whilst its ok I just find it a pain in the backside.

Get XP.

Get a windows XP disc is what I would do. It might be hold and might restrict RAM, but its still the best windows ever made. I got Vista on my laptop and I friggin hate it, only reason I keep it is because the factory reset is Vista OS. Vista is horrible. My girlfriend got windows 7 on her laptop and whilst its ok I just find it a pain in the backside.

Get XP.

Your opion is not a fact. There are more people who consider windows 7 the best so far than people who still hold on to windows xp. Why on earth should the OP pay to get a windows version that may not help him at all and restricts his hardware because the software is too old?

As for the error message, you can right click on the install file, select properties, choose the compitability tab and try running it in compitability mode for an earlier version of windows.

I loved XP but Windows 7 in my opinion is just as good if not better as for Vista that software is a pile of cow dung.

Remember by the beginning of 2013 XP software will no longer be supported by Microsoft.

XP really doesnt need anymore support for a couple of years past that. Just beef up your anti-virus software and dont do anything silly and you will be fine. Anyway hackers etc are starting to focus on exploits for Vista and Windows 7. They know all big business will or have switch by 2013.

XP all the way man.

As for the error message, you can right click on the install file, select properties, choose the compitability tab and try running it in compitability mode for an earlier version of windows.

I've found compatibility tab, can you please tell me what setting the following should be set at please:

Run this program in compatibility mode for: xp or 7?

run this program as an administrator: yes or no?

run in 256 colours: yes or no?

run in 640 x 480 screen resolution: yes or no?

Something I like to add that many people forget todo and that can minimize crashing alot.

When you install a older game that uses directx9 make sure you allow it to install.

Directx9 has some .dll files that aren't in the newer versions (Directx10 & 11).

When you install a older version of Directx it will not replace anything of your newer ones only missing files are added.

BTW Win7 is widely recognized as the best and most stable version to date, XP comes 2nd followed by Win98.

a. XP

b. yes

c. yes I think

d. no

I've tried that and I get the message: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

how do I change to one of these two? thats if it worth it at all :)

I know this isn't that helpful really, but I've been playing FM2006 on my Windows 7 computer with absolutely no issues whatsoever. So I'd be surprised if the subsequent version doesn't work. I didn't need to faff around with compatibility mode either. Are you administrator on your PC - that might make a difference? Have you tried right-clicking the setup file and running as administrator (can't remember doing this, but I did install the game 2 years or so ago)?

I also second RSCA4ever's advice about installing DirectX when it asks.

Edit: But I disagree with Win98 being more stable than 2000 :D

I have just installed CM 01/02 without a problem at all, didn't even change any settings, also, I am the admin of the pc.

This is the message I am currently getting: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

I want to know how to change it? :)

I have just installed CM 01/02 without a problem at all, didn't even change any settings, also, I am the admin of the pc.

This is the message I am currently getting: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

I want to know how to change it? :)

Right click the installer then properties then "Run in 16bit Colours".

Edit: But I disagree with Win98 being more stable than 2000 :D

Yeah good old reliable 2000 :thup:

Doesn't beat MS-DOS 5.0 though! :D

Right click the installer then properties then "Run in 16bit Colours".

still the same.

Uninstall the game. Then copy the disc contents into Documents and install it from there.

Let me know if it worked :)

nope. still the same

I found a post using google where someone has the same issue. The suggestion was to install FM 2007 on a PC with XP running, and then copy the installation folder from the XP PC to the PC running Windows 7. If you have an old PC or even your old hard disk with FM installed on it, it might be worth a shot.

I take it you did try right-clicking on the setup file and running as admin right... In the past that's always fixed my install issues with games on Win 7.

I found a post using google where someone has the same issue. The suggestion was to install FM 2007 on a PC with XP running, and then copy the installation folder from the XP PC to the PC running Windows 7. If you have an old PC or even your old hard disk with FM installed on it, it might be worth a shot.

I take it you did try right-clicking on the setup file and running as admin right... In the past that's always fixed my install issues with games on Win 7.

I did yes but I got this message: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

also, my old pc stopped working so I used an old laptop until I got the new pc, I played FM2007 on that so the files are still on there, anyway, so you say just copy the whole FM2007 folder onto the new pc and it may work? :)

My old pc stopped working so I used an old laptop until I got the new pc, I played FM2007 on that so the files are still on there, anyway, so you say just copy the whole FM2007 folder onto the new pc and it may work? :)

Can't hurt to try, can it.

Well the error message is suggesting you run the setup from the command line using the -console parameter, but I can't see how that's a good idea. To do so, start the dos prompt (type cmd in the start menu), navigate to the setup file and enter "setup.exe -console" (or create a shortcut). But I doubt that'll solve your issue somehow.

btw, I highly doubt you want to select 256 colours in the compatibility options; 256 colours is so last millenium...

Can't hurt to try, can it.

''Can't find data folder'' ''installation may be corrupt''

so its not working, one thing left to try and that is the console thing, why don't you think it will work anyway?

so its not working, one thing left to try and that is the console thing, why don't you think it will work anyway?

Because the setup is a win application with a GUI. I suppose there's a possibility that you can also specify the path etc. from the command line but I'd have no idea how. You can always try "setup.exe /?" to see if it provides a list of parameters...

''Can't find data folder'' ''installation may be corrupt''

Have you tried adding the "Sports Interactive" folder to your "My Documents" folder manually? You might want to copy the entire folder from the other PC, as well as the installation directory.

Have you tried adding the "Sports Interactive" folder to your "My Documents" folder manually? You might want to copy the entire folder from the other PC, as well as the installation directory.

the ''Sports Interactive'' folder was already on my computer after I installed FM2008, so I copied the FM2007 folder (with everything left in it) into that folder but still didn't work.

Try the compatibility mode again, but only with run as admin and WinXP compatibility, not 256 colours.

I tried this straight after it didn't work with the 256 colours and I still got that message telling me to change to console mode

• 2 weeks later...
I've found the answer! I had the exact same problem as you clarky, but in the compatibility settings instead of choosing xp I chose windows 2000, which is also compatible with the game. After changing this in the properties I was able to install the game - hope this helps :)

thanks I'll try it :)

I've found the answer! I had the exact same problem as you clarky, but in the compatibility settings instead of choosing xp I chose windows 2000, which is also compatible with the game. After changing this in the properties I was able to install the game - hope this helps :)

IT WORKS!! :eek: THANKS!! YOU DESERVE A :applause:

• 6 years later...

Which game are you trying to install?

If you are using W10, then changes to how it handles DRM issues have meant that older games may not run in W10, so you will need to use trial and error to get them to run as there is no magic formula.

21 hours ago, djoki94 said:

Do you remember man, after you instaled the game, did you play it? 

I instal the game, and I cant play, can you help me?

Can't remember to be honest, it was over six years ago!

• SI Staff

@djoki94 The only 2 things that I can think of off the top of my head, is trying to run it as an administrator. You can do this by right clicking on the desktop icon and selecting 'Run as administrator'. Secondly if that still doesn't work, again right click on the FM 2007 icon, select properties and open up the compatibility tab. Check the box called 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and in the drop down menu select an older operating system, probably windows 7, or XP if that is available to you. This recently helped me get old CM games on my personal PC, so hopefully it may help you out.

Microsoft also released a patch for Windows that disabled the copy protection used by older disk based games, though you should be able to re-enable those features to get the game to run by following the instructions found here: https://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/24/microsoft-update-breaks-safedisc-games-on-windows-vista-7-and-8/

Archived