+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I Install Older Games on Windows 7?

Amateur

Default Can I Install Older Games on Windows 7?

hi guys, I have just got a new PC, windows 7, I have saves that I still often play on Football Manager 2007, can I install it? When I try to install it, the colour scheme changes to basic and when I click ''install'' at the end, this is the message I get:

''Summary not available.

This may be a result of an invalid summary type request --e.g. requesting and install summary when an uninstall has occurred''

what can I do?

Get a windows XP disc is what I would do. It might be hold and might restrict RAM, but its still the best windows ever made. I got Vista on my laptop and I friggin hate it, only reason I keep it is because the factory reset is Vista OS. Vista is horrible. My girlfriend got windows 7 on her laptop and whilst its ok I just find it a pain in the backside.

Get XP.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by ManagerFootball View Post
    Get a windows XP disc is what I would do. It might be hold and might restrict RAM, but its still the best windows ever made. I got Vista on my laptop and I friggin hate it, only reason I keep it is because the factory reset is Vista OS. Vista is horrible. My girlfriend got windows 7 on her laptop and whilst its ok I just find it a pain in the backside.

Get XP.
    Your opion is not a fact. There are more people who consider windows 7 the best so far than people who still hold on to windows xp. Why on earth should the OP pay to get a windows version that may not help him at all and restricts his hardware because the software is too old?

As for the error message, you can right click on the install file, select properties, choose the compitability tab and try running it in compitability mode for an earlier version of windows.
    Last edited by vlobben; 31-05-2012 at 15:33.

Moderator and Technical Support

Viobben is correct- I would also suggest clicking on Run as Administrator as well.

In every benchmark test ever conducted XP is really not that far away from Windows 7 and it does a couple of things alot better.

XP forever man.

Youth Team

Microsoft is abandoning Windows XP Support in 2013.

It is not good advice to recommend an operating system that the company itself is discontinuing.

XP really doesnt need anymore support for a couple of years past that. Just beef up your anti-virus software and dont do anything silly and you will be fine. Anyway hackers etc are starting to focus on exploits for Vista and Windows 7. They know all big business will or have switch by 2013.

XP all the way man.

I got windows 7 here, but for some reason Windows 7 wont allow my motherboard to unlock and overclock my CPU which is a big shame. I would switch to windows 7 otherwise. XP is still the king though, only just I admit.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by vlobben View Post
    As for the error message, you can right click on the install file, select properties, choose the compitability tab and try running it in compitability mode for an earlier version of windows.
    I've found compatibility tab, can you please tell me what setting the following should be set at please:

Run this program in compatibility mode for: xp or 7?
    run this program as an administrator: yes or no?
    run in 256 colours: yes or no?
    run in 640 x 480 screen resolution: yes or no?
    Last edited by Clarky323; 31-05-2012 at 16:33.

Moderator and Technical Support

a. XP
    b. yes
    c. yes I think
    d. no

Amateur

Something I like to add that many people forget todo and that can minimize crashing alot.

When you install a older game that uses directx9 make sure you allow it to install.
    Directx9 has some .dll files that aren't in the newer versions (Directx10 & 11).
    When you install a older version of Directx it will not replace anything of your newer ones only missing files are added.

BTW Win7 is widely recognized as the best and most stable version to date, XP comes 2nd followed by Win98.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by FrazT View Post
    a. XP
    b. yes
    c. yes I think
    d. no
    I've tried that and I get the message: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

how do I change to one of these two? thats if it worth it at all

Amateur

I know this isn't that helpful really, but I've been playing FM2006 on my Windows 7 computer with absolutely no issues whatsoever. So I'd be surprised if the subsequent version doesn't work. I didn't need to faff around with compatibility mode either. Are you administrator on your PC - that might make a difference? Have you tried right-clicking the setup file and running as administrator (can't remember doing this, but I did install the game 2 years or so ago)?

I also second RSCA4ever's advice about installing DirectX when it asks.

Edit: But I disagree with Win98 being more stable than 2000
    Last edited by sjm; 31-05-2012 at 17:51.

Amateur

I have just installed CM 01/02 without a problem at all, didn't even change any settings, also, I am the admin of the pc.

This is the message I am currently getting: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

I want to know how to change it?

Uninstall the game. Then copy the disc contents into Documents and install it from there.

Let me know if it worked

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Clarky323 View Post
    I have just installed CM 01/02 without a problem at all, didn't even change any settings, also, I am the admin of the pc.

This is the message I am currently getting: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

I want to know how to change it?
    Right click the installer then properties then "Run in 16bit Colours".

Quote Originally Posted by sjm View Post
    Edit: But I disagree with Win98 being more stable than 2000
    Yeah good old reliable 2000
    Doesn't beat MS-DOS 5.0 though!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by RSCA4Ever View Post
    Right click the installer then properties then "Run in 16bit Colours".
    still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ManagerFootball View Post
    Uninstall the game. Then copy the disc contents into Documents and install it from there.

Let me know if it worked
    nope. still the same

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by RSCA4Ever View Post
    Doesn't beat MS-DOS 5.0 though!
    Ah... when things worked

Amateur

I found a post using google where someone has the same issue. The suggestion was to install FM 2007 on a PC with XP running, and then copy the installation folder from the XP PC to the PC running Windows 7. If you have an old PC or even your old hard disk with FM installed on it, it might be worth a shot.

I take it you did try right-clicking on the setup file and running as admin right... In the past that's always fixed my install issues with games on Win 7.

Amateur

I found a post using google where someone has the same issue. The suggestion was to install FM 2007 on a PC with XP running, and then copy the installation folder from the XP PC to the PC running Windows 7. If you have an old PC or even your old hard disk with FM installed on it, it might be worth a shot.

I take it you did try right-clicking on the setup file and running as admin right... In the past that's always fixed my install issues with games on Win 7.
    I did yes but I got this message: ''The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag''

also, my old pc stopped working so I used an old laptop until I got the new pc, I played FM2007 on that so the files are still on there, anyway, so you say just copy the whole FM2007 folder onto the new pc and it may work?

Amateur

My old pc stopped working so I used an old laptop until I got the new pc, I played FM2007 on that so the files are still on there, anyway, so you say just copy the whole FM2007 folder onto the new pc and it may work?
    Can't hurt to try, can it.

Amateur

I will try it, probs tomorrow but do you know how to change from graphical display to console? I've asked about 4 times but haven't had an answer yet

Amateur

Well the error message is suggesting you run the setup from the command line using the -console parameter, but I can't see how that's a good idea. To do so, start the dos prompt (type cmd in the start menu), navigate to the setup file and enter "setup.exe -console" (or create a shortcut). But I doubt that'll solve your issue somehow.

btw, I highly doubt you want to select 256 colours in the compatibility options; 256 colours is so last millenium...

Amateur

btw, I highly doubt you want to select 256 colours in the compatibility options; 256 colours is so last millenium...
    I know, I tried and noticed straight away!!

Amateur

''Can't find data folder'' ''installation may be corrupt''

so its not working, one thing left to try and that is the console thing, why don't you think it will work anyway?

Amateur

so its not working, one thing left to try and that is the console thing, why don't you think it will work anyway?
    Because the setup is a win application with a GUI. I suppose there's a possibility that you can also specify the path etc. from the command line but I'd have no idea how. You can always try "setup.exe /?" to see if it provides a list of parameters...

''Can't find data folder'' ''installation may be corrupt''
    Have you tried adding the "Sports Interactive" folder to your "My Documents" folder manually? You might want to copy the entire folder from the other PC, as well as the installation directory.

Amateur

Have you tried adding the "Sports Interactive" folder to your "My Documents" folder manually? You might want to copy the entire folder from the other PC, as well as the installation directory.
    the ''Sports Interactive'' folder was already on my computer after I installed FM2008, so I copied the FM2007 folder (with everything left in it) into that folder but still didn't work.

Banned

Try the compatibility mode again, but only with run as admin and WinXP compatibility, not 256 colours.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post
    Try the compatibility mode again, but only with run as admin and WinXP compatibility, not 256 colours.
    I tried this straight after it didn't work with the 256 colours and I still got that message telling me to change to console mode

Amateur

I've found the answer! I had the exact same problem as you clarky, but in the compatibility settings instead of choosing xp I chose windows 2000, which is also compatible with the game. After changing this in the properties I was able to install the game - hope this helps

Amateur

hi, anyone know how to install cm 96/97 or 97/98 on windows 7 without using ms-dos???? is it possible?

Amateur

Might be possible if you set the compatibility settings on the properties of the installer to windows '98 but I've only tried it with the later versions.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tfell View Post
    I've found the answer! I had the exact same problem as you clarky, but in the compatibility settings instead of choosing xp I chose windows 2000, which is also compatible with the game. After changing this in the properties I was able to install the game - hope this helps
    thanks I'll try it

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tfell View Post
    IT WORKS!! THANKS!! YOU DESERVE A

Amateur

IT WORKS!! THANKS!! YOU DESERVE A
    no problem!

+ Reply to Thread