Rubbish teams winning World Cup

I really disagree with the basic premise of this thread. Any team that wins any tourney is by definition 'not rubbish'. The stresses; physical, mental, emotional; to survive the seven matches it takes to win a WC mean that any nation that wins it deserves to win it.

I really disagree with the basic premise of this thread. Any team that wins any tourney is by definition 'not rubbish'. The stresses; physical, mental, emotional; to survive the seven matches it takes to win a WC mean that any nation that wins it deserves to win it.

It's just a game mate ha ha

You seem tense. You need to chill.

I agree though. There's no such thing as a "rubbish" team if they win the World Cup.

I've seen plenty of strange teams win the World Cup in FM before. Wales, Scotland, Paraguay, South Korea, and some African countries too. Mexico are often very successful in FM too, but that's more understandable, given they have a population of over 100M and are football crazy. In fact it's astonishing how much they've underachieved in reality.

So to answer the question, it has to be Wales. Wales winning a World Cup will never happen in reality, whereas you could make arguments for other teams potentially winning it.

So to answer the question, it has to be Wales. Wales winning a World Cup will never happen in reality, whereas you could make arguments for other teams potentially winning it.

You mean like its impossible for Uruguay to win the WC?

Wales and Uruguay aren't directly comparable though. Sure you can look at population being somewhat similar (Wales 3m, Uruguay 3.2m), historical significance within football but ultimately, Uruguay, as a populace, are almost universally football "crazy", whereas the population of Wales have more split loyalties, ie. rugby. I actually think rugby is more popular than football there, but that's just a hunch.

John Charles though, phwoar.

ar (Wales 3m, Uruguay 3.2m), historical significance within football but ultimately, Uruguay, as a populace, are almost universally football "crazy", whereas the population of Wales have more split loyalties, ie. rugby. I actually think rugby is more popular than football there, but that's just a hunch.

Was literally going to post the same thing. I also think there will come a point where it will be nearly impossible for Uruguay to win the World Cup due to their small population. Obviously that won't be any time soon, but when big countries in Asia and Africa start fulfil their potential then it will be increasingly difficult for a side like Uruguay to compete at the highest level.

Wales and Uruguay aren't directly comparable though. Sure you can look at population being somewhat similar (Wales 3m, Uruguay 3.2m), historical significance within football but ultimately, Uruguay, as a populace, are almost universally football "crazy", whereas the population of Wales have more split loyalties, ie. rugby. I actually think rugby is more popular than football there, but that's just a hunch.

As an American with both Welsh and English blood, and having heard so many sheep jokes from English friends, it would be so awesome to see Wales produce a once in a lifetime player and win the World Cup.

^ Was literally going to post the same thing. I also think there will come a point where it will be nearly impossible for Uruguay to win the World Cup due to their small population. Obviously that won't be any time soon, but when big countries in Asia and Africa start fulfil their potential then it will be increasingly difficult for a side like Uruguay to compete.

Yet they were semi finalists in WC 2010

^ The problem with that though is one once in a lifetime player can't lift a team on his own anymore. Look at Messi with Argentina, and he's got plenty of other World Class players in the side with him. But because the rest of the team lacks balance, and the ability to play to his strengths, regardless of how good he is, he cannot lift the team single-handedly.

As an American with both Welsh and English blood, and having heard so many sheep jokes from English friends, it would be so awesome to see Wales produce a once in a lifetime player and win the World Cup.

I think that player was Ryan Giggs. But modern football nowadays rely more on a team rather than one sparkling individual for success though.

Look at Argentina. In the old days Maradona could single-handedly win them the WC. Now even with the talents of Messi Argentina struggle to get anywhere.

EDIT: Beaten by Nocuous. :o

^ The problem with that though is one once in a lifetime player can't lift a team on his own anymore. Look at Messi with Argentina, and he's got plenty of other World Class players in the side with him. But because the rest of the team lacks balance, and the ability to play to his strengths, regardless of how good he is, he cannot lift the team single-handedly.

Wouldnt Zidane be an example of one man who could? Messi is too small and limited by the Barca system to be a world beater.

Nigeria won the 2014 World Cup on mine, with Croatia 2nd and Slovenia 3rd.

Argentina are 1st World Rankings 2015

Nigeria 2nd

Kind of surprising for Nigeria, but they do have good players at that stage and are producing great newgens. Argentina is a given, amazing players and two 18 yr old wonderkids in the selection already (2014)

Zidane didn't win the 98 World Cup single-handedly. In fact he wasn't even France's best player that Tournament. He was banned for three games during it after all. I'd say Thuram was France's best at 98.

Oh my. Zidane was the best player on the field/pitch whenever he played. When he was healthy he could single-highhandedly win matches at the highest level. Im not a fan of the French but we must give the devil their due. Zidane was by far the best player of his generation IMO.

Oh my. Zidane was the best player on the field/pitch whenever he played. When he was healthy he could single-highhandedly win matches at the highest level. Im not a fan of the French but we must give the devil their due. Zidane was by far the best player of his generation IMO.

So every single time Zidane played a game of football, he was the MOTM? You're a loony.

You need work on your reading comprehension.

ZZ took France to the final pretty much single-handedly in 2006, not 1998.

1998 was all about defensive play and keeping hold of the ball.

However, he did win the final in 1998 (and lost it in 2006!).

Happy days...

And I'm not too sure about the title of that thread, BTW.

ZZ took France to the final pretty much single-handedly in 2006, not 1998.

1998 was all about defensive play and keeping hold of the ball.

However, he did win the final in 1998 (and lost it in 2006!).

Happy days...

He was a player who could influence a match in so many ways; he was also too big and strong to be taken out of a match through rough defense. The opposition would have to commit so many resources to counter him that it would allow other players to shine.

Sorry to go off point here...But to the people putting down Uruguay's chances of winning a world cup. Finished fourth in the World Cup, Won the Copa America...Come the next world cup their young squad will be better and there will still be a good mix of experienced players they will stand a good chance of bringing the trophy home.

In the past I've had Scotland and Nigeria win it. Scotland got through every round on penalties and Nigeria seemed to win purely by having pace players. Ukraine and Russia have been finalists but not won. I like it tbh, better than having the same few teams try win it.

In FM 2010 (or Fm 11 can't remember) I saw Scotland winning the 2016 World Cup, in my save atm Belgium won the 2016 World Cup, although I could see it if Hazard et al keep developing

That's impressive, since there won't be a World Cup in 2016.

Not a World Cup, but England beat Poland in the final of Euro 2012 on my latest save. Kyle Walker scored the only goal. I have leagues playable for most of Europe too.

Haven't made it to the World Cup yet, but Norway just won the EURO'12 tourny in my game.

Should be noted that this my first time playing with view-only leagues added, so each team had a full selection of players and no greyed-out ones.

Oh, and they beat England in the final, 2-1.

Colombia winning a World Cup isn't that unthinkable. In 1994 they were one of the favourites for the tournament.

I'm surprised at how many people have had Scotland win the World Cup. I wonder if there's something to it as to why they're so successful. In my games they're never particularly good, but seem to defend their way too good results.

World cup

2014 France winnners , Portugal Runners Up

2018 Germany Win, Chile RU

2022 England Win, Argentina RU

2026 Norway Win, South Africa RU (held in Mexico)

currently 2030 in my save and the top 5 teams are 1. Nigeria, 2. Brazil, 3. Germany, 4. South Africa, 5. Italy. England are down in 18th now. World cup is in Italy and Holders Norway are ranked 17th.

And I'm running leagues in 25 different countries too.

In 2046 now, and the most unusual teams to win it so far has to be Croatia. While they're a team that has produced some stars RL and have potential, I don't think they're generally regarded as one of the best, so seeing them win it in 2022 *and* 2014 is unusual.I haven't seen any othe upsets in this particular game.

in my save, Denmark won the 2014 World Cup. Russia was runner-up...

but this was the most surprising,

3rd place

was

won

by

Jamaica :eek:

FIFAWorldCupOverview_Stages.png

i wish these series of events occurred in real life. would've been a very exciting world cup. i was rooting so hard for Jamaica. don't think i've ever "rooted" for a NPC team in FM lol

Uruguay on mine, winners have been quite predictable otherwise. Brazil did have to overcome the mighty Burkina Faso in the 2026 final though.

As noted above Uruguay are 2 time WC Champs; 15 time Copa America Champs; finished 4th in the 2010 WC; won the 2011 Copa America. I would say they are not rubbish.

Archived