Hitting the Woodwork

I find it quite perplexing the amount of times I hit the woodwork in a season, month, match take your pick... It isn't unusual for me to hit the frame of the goal at least four times in a match. I'm not going to go on about how this is FM's way of ensuring realistic results, and becasue the ME is inadequate at making the game hard, the player is made to hit the woodwork on many occasions to compensate, largely because I believe that to be untrue. I play in the Blue Square Prem, my main three strikers finishing stats are 15, 13, and 9 so I could understand if they didn't quite find the bottom corner every time, however it is a tad excessive the amount of times 'the ball cannons back off the bar!' appears at the bottom of my screen! Am I doing something wrong tactically, or is this just a part of the game many people have a problem with?

Thanks

This year we have the saga of Liverpool's fondness for striking the frame of the goal.The average number of times an EPL side struck the post or bar in 2011/12 was around 15,so Liverpool's total of 33 was certainly excessive.Glen Johnson has come out in print with the view that had all of those shots counted as goals,then The Reds would have found themselves around 15 points better off,on the cusp of Champions League qualification and,one presumes,not currently seeking a new manager.

http://thepowerofgoals.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-costly-was-woodwork-to-liverpool.html

The game is a unrealistic in the amount of woodwork hits.

It should be an average of 15 or so. But Liverpool proved the exception last season, with 33 hits. But that's still only less than once per game.

If it was real life then you'd make headlines, with something like 68 times hitting the woodwork in a season, which is basically unheard of.

SI should really address this.

In the game you will also have more shots at goal than you would in real life. So there should be more hitting the woodwork in game. Maybe the percentage of shots hitting the woodwork is too high, though, I don't know.

In the game you will also have more shots at goal than you would in real life. So there should be more hitting the woodwork in game. Maybe the percentage of shots hitting the woodwork is too high, though, I don't know.

Is that true? I know the amount of shots in FM is seriously corrupted by the 10+ 30 yard potshots each teams attempts every game, however these are not the ones which get anywhere near the woodwork.

I usually have 20-30 shots at goal a game. On average I would say that 15-20% of these are long shots.

http://socceranalysts.com/category/shots-on-goal/

This shows a lot about average shots a game. Very interesting read.

Very intersting indeed. It is amazing to see how consistent the stats of 'where shots went' were throughout the league. Very little variation between any of the sides.

The most funny thing is (looking at the first pie chart) how often goals are scored compared to just hitting the target. No super AI goal keepers there :)

Didn't notice that. So, every 21 shots on target there are 9 goals. That's just over 1 in 2. That can't be right?!

The explanation to the chart isn't that great but I guess it's more like 1 in 3 shots that are on target ends with a goal.

My explanation:

10% of all shots end with a goal. 20% are on target. That means 70% are off target or blocked. That means that 30% are on target (3 out of 10). 1 out of 10 shots at goal ends with a goal so 1 out of 3 shots at target ends with a goal. (English isn't my first language so it might be better explained by others :) )

The explanation to the chart isn't that great but I guess it's more like 1 in 3 shots that are on target ends with a goal.

My explanation:

10% of all shots end with a goal. 20% are on target. That means 70% are off target or blocked. That means that 30% are on target (3 out of 10). 1 out of 10 shots at goal ends with a goal so 1 out of 3 shots at target ends with a goal. (English isn't my first language so it might be better explained by others :) )

I understand what you mean.

1 in 3 seems a bit more reasonable!

What bugs me even more is the snide press conference remarks about it. "Your team hit the woodwork an unbelievable six times in this match; you must have felt like the digital football gods were directing their anger in your direction" or whatever the actual comment is.

If you do a search you'll see this has been raised multiple times. However I do agree with you I think this also but I dont know the actual % or average match times this happens to decide if it really is an over the top happening

Its believed to be linked to the match engine and the current desire for the players to be overly accurate when attempting to score goals e.g. always aiming for side netting / top corners / roof of net etc so that this then increases the chances of the ball hitting the woodwork

Check out the bugs forum as this is likely to have had a formal SI reply I would think

Archived