+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What is the deal with international management??

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th February 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default What is the deal with international management??

    I was just wondering if all you FM gamers out there could sort of point me in the right direction when it comes to managing a national team??

    I'm currently in my second season with Torquay United, i have gained promotion to league 1 and am currently half way through the second season about 9 points clear at the top of that division. I have managed to get the club into a financially secure and even turning over a profit, as well as be lucky enough to have signed a few good prem league rejects who seem to be doing the business for me, noteable (Davide Petrucci) from Man United.....

    However my main drama is that i am looking to manage on a national level, so i started my search in the job security section and found that Luxembourg and Congo did not have a current manager in place, i've applied for both jobs and have come away with nothing, in fact i've been laughed off!!!

    Torquay may not be the biggest team in the world, however i've got them promoted and am in the final of the JPT trophy this year, Luxembourg and Congo are probably, in terms of the game smaller teams than TUFC???

    So if i can't get a job at these two nations, how the heck am i meant to get one at all??

    has anybody else had a similar problem??

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    20th May 2011
    Location
    Southport, UK
    Posts
    204

    Default

    You are only in your second season?! No matter how successful you've been, 2 seasons isn't enough to land an international job. What is your reputation?
    Last edited by Jay96; 29-05-2012 at 14:01.

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th February 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks very much for a reply, maybe i am expecting too much as i'm only in my 2nd year, however i thought such small nations would be willing to take a pop on a semi-successful manager. Instead of appointing these managers with 4/5/6 & 7's on all their ratings...... I really don't get that, i may be rather small on the world stage however the person who got the Luxembourg job had some of the worst stats i've seen!!!!!!

    My reputaion is 'National' and i'm described as a 'Talanted Manager'..... Sorry if i seem a bit slow with all the Football Manager stuff but i don't get much of an oppertunity to play....

    once again thanks for the advice.... have you had any international jobs?? if so what sort of sides and after how many years??

  4. #4
    Amateur
    Join Date
    20th May 2011
    Location
    Southport, UK
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado3k View Post
    Thanks very much for a reply, maybe i am expecting too much as i'm only in my 2nd year, however i thought such small nations would be willing to take a pop on a semi-successful manager. Instead of appointing these managers with 4/5/6 & 7's on all their ratings...... I really don't get that, i may be rather small on the world stage however the person who got the Luxembourg job had some of the worst stats i've seen!!!!!!

    My reputaion is 'National' and i'm described as a 'Talanted Manager'..... Sorry if i seem a bit slow with all the Football Manager stuff but i don't get much of an oppertunity to play....

    once again thanks for the advice.... have you had any international jobs?? if so what sort of sides and after how many years??
    Somebody more clued up than me will be able to tell you what reputation is needed for such jobs, and the point about such a poor manager being appointed happens throughout the game. Usually in the EPL bizarre appointments are made, someting that might need sorting out.

    International management doesn't really appeal to me, due to the long time between matches and the inability to build your own squads. However on a previous save I was Birmingham City manager, was promoted to the Premier League, about 5 years in and (I think) my reputation was 'Continental.' Anyway, I took the Nigeria job before I got very bored and began my current save.

  5. #5
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    11th June 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Your rep is national in England only. Most likely they haven't heard about you outside of England.

    In real life Allan Simonsen managed Luxembourg from 2001 to 2004. He once played for Barcelona (1979-1983) and was voted best player in Europe in 1977. He has never won anything as a manager so his rep was purely from his playing days.

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th February 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Ok so the poor stat managers being appointed seems to be rule of thumb after hearing what you have to say, i think there is a lot in the fact that my reputation is only national, therefore only being noticed within England. i suppose i would have to get Torquay promoted to the Premeirship to be noticed outside of England!!! however i feel that being promoted to the Championship in just two seasons would gain me some sort of reputation in Europe if not the world with such a small team.

    Something of interest, a very strange thing happened when i asked for a new Stadium, (I did this because i could not expand the current one, Plainmoor) First of they said yes, second off they are building a huge stadium with a massive grant given by some random company/charity or what ever it may be... Also with a huge stadium sponsorship deal.... strange!!!!

  7. #7
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    26th November 2009
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    I had successfully won back to back La Ligas with Real Madrid including the Champions League once and the Cup once in the 1st 2 years, and was laughed off by Panama, so it my be something in the coding of the game. Usually the 3rd or 4th year might get you offers, or acceptance if you apply to nations.

  8. #8
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    11th June 2010
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowmanuk View Post
    I had successfully won back to back La Ligas with Real Madrid including the Champions League once and the Cup once in the 1st 2 years, and was laughed off by Panama, so it my be something in the coding of the game. Usually the 3rd or 4th year might get you offers, or acceptance if you apply to nations.
    What was your international reputation? It's all that matters I believe. As far as I understand it you can only see your international reputation in using programs like Genie scout and FMRTE. The reputation you in the game I believe is national.

    In my Brĝndby IF save I managed them for 10-11 seasons before I suddenly was approached by England to take over the empty seat. I did and it's the only NT that has approached me. At that point I had won the league and cup consequently for 8 years and doing well over the years in the CL winning it once.

  9. #9
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st September 2011
    Location
    playing fm
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado3k View Post
    Ok so the poor stat managers being appointed seems to be rule of thumb after hearing what you have to say, i think there is a lot in the fact that my reputation is only national, therefore only being noticed within England. i suppose i would have to get Torquay promoted to the Premeirship to be noticed outside of England!!! however i feel that being promoted to the Championship in just two seasons would gain me some sort of reputation in Europe if not the world with such a small team.

    Something of interest, a very strange thing happened when i asked for a new Stadium, (I did this because i could not expand the current one, Plainmoor) First of they said yes, second off they are building a huge stadium with a massive grant given by some random company/charity or what ever it may be... Also with a huge stadium sponsorship deal.... strange!!!!
    How big is the stadium

  10. #10
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    26th November 2009
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikker View Post
    What was your international reputation? It's all that matters I believe. As far as I understand it you can only see your international reputation in using programs like Genie scout and FMRTE. The reputation you in the game I believe is national.

    In my Brĝndby IF save I managed them for 10-11 seasons before I suddenly was approached by England to take over the empty seat. I did and it's the only NT that has approached me. At that point I had won the league and cup consequently for 8 years and doing well over the years in the CL winning it once.
    I started the game as a former Panamanian International so I would've been well known to the Panama FA

  11. #11
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    27th November 2005
    Location
    Enter the dragon, exit Johnny Clarke
    Posts
    16,209

    Default

    I started as manager of Auckland City then moved to Crewe after back to back promotions to the Championship I successfully got the job as manager of Chile.

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th February 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    The stadium is 22,300 and something.... I guess they are thinking i'm on my way to the championship so matches those standards.... I found it strange because it more than doubles Torquays previous stadium which is around 4,000..... Plus the fact i'm going to be rich!!! i mean its something like a £320 million sponsorship deal!!! what is going on? a bug or what??

  13. #13
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    27th November 2005
    Location
    Enter the dragon, exit Johnny Clarke
    Posts
    16,209

    Default

    How many years is the sponsorship deal over?

  14. #14
    Third Team
    Join Date
    29th March 2007
    Location
    FMS Prediction League 2011-12 Champion
    Posts
    9,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado3k View Post
    Ok so the poor stat managers being appointed seems to be rule of thumb after hearing what you have to say, i think there is a lot in the fact that my reputation is only national, therefore only being noticed within England. i suppose i would have to get Torquay promoted to the Premeirship to be noticed outside of England!!! however i feel that being promoted to the Championship in just two seasons would gain me some sort of reputation in Europe if not the world with such a small team.
    Stevenage and Crawley got successive promotions IRL too, yet I would bet that only ardent followers of English lower league football (i.e. not many people) would be aware of who their managers are.

  15. #15
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    27th September 2005
    Posts
    15,861

    Default

    I got laughed off once by Uraguay when i applied but they later stopped laughing and offered me the job.

    It will be linked to a number of things reputation / success etc will be part of that.

    From a realism point of view do we know of any lower league manager's being offered international managers jobs - probably not. Anyway keep going and may be in a few more seasons you will have some success in your applications

  16. #16
    Amateur
    Join Date
    7th November 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, England
    Posts
    31

    Default

    International managment is quite boring imo, you could always make sure your Torquay game is saved then have a crack at international managment to see if you like it, if not then go back to your other save game :-)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts