Help with Chelsea please anyone ?

Hi guys

Currently playing FM12 - the latest version as my first network game. I play with a tactic downloaded from here. 4-1-2-2-1 (used it many times to great effect). I signed Mbiwa, Belhanda, Douglas Costa and Srna. I have played 4 league games. Beat Sunderland away 5-3, having been 3-1 down at half time. I then drew at home to Villa 0-0 - despite having 25 shots. Only 4 on target though! It then got messy. Lost at Swansea 3-2 and then somehow lost to QPR 2-0 at home!! Morale is pretty low and nothing i say in teamtalks has anything but a negative effect. Never experienced this before. I did however manage to win my last game 4-0 against Rosenborg away. Next up is West Brom away in the league, a must win as the other players are seriously good. Anyone help me please ?!!!

Hi guys

Currently playing FM12 - the latest version as my first network game. I play with a tactic downloaded from here. 4-1-2-2-1 (used it many times to great effect). I signed Mbiwa, Belhanda, Douglas Costa and Srna. I have played 4 league games. Beat Sunderland away 5-3, having been 3-1 down at half time. I then drew at home to Villa 0-0 - despite having 25 shots. Only 4 on target though! It then got messy. Lost at Swansea 3-2 and then somehow lost to QPR 2-0 at home!! Morale is pretty low and nothing i say in teamtalks has anything but a negative effect. Never experienced this before. I did however manage to win my last game 4-0 against Rosenborg away. Next up is West Brom away in the league, a must win as the other players are seriously good. Anyone help me please ?!!!

Everything is alright then! Beating Rosenborg at Lerkendal is a good excuse to be happy with the season :)

A tactic that creates 25 shots but only 4 on target, conceding 6 goals in two away matches and scoring zero at home against Villa and QPR is not worth working with. Maybe it works with small teams and not huge favourites? Did you choose International past experience? If not, managing at Chelsea may be a very ungrateful job - just ask Villas Boas!

Edit: it might actually be a difficult situation even though you did choose International, because that is still not enough to be respected in big clubs like Chelsea.

hmmm i think i am on 'automatic' - which means what exactly ?! Also do you have any good tactics i could try for Chelsea with the current squad, plus those new signings ??

Automatic = Regional reputation, for some reason. In FM11 it was adjusted according to the league you added yourself into. Not so in FM12.

Well I do have a 4-2-4 tactic with defensive midfielders that I do quite well with. You may not have the right players for it, though, and you're likely to want to play your MC's.

hmmm yes, that wouldn't work with Ramires and Lampard. I do have a diamond formation i could use?

Chelsea is well suited to the 4-1-2-2-1 formation (defensive 433 with wingers). I find it strange that your shot to shot on target ratio is so high with it. Is it Mr.Hough's tactic? I would suggest one of the tweaks of that tactic instead, as it is quite extreme and a more balanced approach may work better with really good teams.

Automatic = Regional reputation, for some reason. In FM11 it was adjusted according to the league you added yourself into. Not so in FM12.

Just quickly guys as i want to know if i'm wasting my time but if my rep is set to 'automatic' and i'm managing Chelsea am i in the real life scenario of Villas-Boas - i've got no chance ??

Just quickly guys as i want to know if i'm wasting my time but if my rep is set to 'automatic' and i'm managing Chelsea am i in the real life scenario of Villas-Boas - i've got no chance ??

You need to win trophies before you gain respect among the players yes. You're in a Villas-Boas situation, so team talks will have little or no effect. This situation is almost unbearable if you're of the one tactic kind. I believe you can pull it off if you like to micromanage in-match, but if you don't you will basically just watch the team float down the river of fate. Good form, bad form, confidence, overconfidence, nervousness and the other general trends of football will just come and go as they please - it is all out of your hands.

So since you download "plug-and-play" tactics I'd say yes - such a bad start to the season will ruin the game since you need excellent form and confidence to compensate for your inability to affect the morale of the team.

Is this the first season?

Chelsea's squad isn't very well gelled at the start of the game because Torres and Luiz have only been there 6 months and Mata, Cahill, Lukaku, Romeu etc. have only just arrived. Signing a load of extra players will only make that worse.

hmmm, well clearly it's linked to being 'automatic' rather than being an ex international or ex pro, as i retired myself and added again but as an ex international this time -

result. 6 wins on the bounce in all comps against arguably harder opposition. Learnt my lesson and thanks to BiggusD for all the help yesterday.

Lastly - sorry about the needless new thread i made ! ;-)

Archived