Is the game too lenient on sacking managers sometimes?

So here is the situation i find my current save in.

Its February 2023 and my Rangers team have dominated the Scottish game since the start of the save, i am about to win my 12th SPL title in a row and i have won the Scottish Cup and League Cup 10 and 9 times respectively between 2011/12 and 2022/13.

I have also won the CL twice and lost in the finals twice so at this point my Gers team is considered by the game to be the top team in Europe (a man can dream).

But my problem is this...

Celtic have not even come close to sacking their manager Neil lennon, he has won the League Cup and Scottish Cup in 2012 and that is it. In over 10 years of FM time they have won nothing else, including a period a few years ago when they finished 4th in the league and this season are over 10 points behind Hibernian who are very much the 2nd biggest team in the league now (new owner took over 3 seasons ago and they are buying some really good players).

It just strikes me as insane that any Old Firm manager would still be in a job after effectively 10 years without a trophy.

In real life they got rid of Strachan who had won them 3 titles the first time they faltered and came 2nd on the last day of the season. Then they got rid of Mowbray before he even had a chance to finish a season because they where X points behind Rangers.

Is there some kind of bug that results in OF managers simply not being expected by their board to deliver anything?

I certainly think there is an issue with clubs finishing as perennial runners-up in leagues like the SPL where there are only 2 or 3 realistic title contenders & this is only heightened when the manager has legend/icon status from his days as a player, on my save Ally somehow stayed at Rangers for nearly 15 years despite Celtic's total dominance of the league.

Yes, I think it is way too lenient. I think there should be a lot more turnover especially at big continental clubs, or a club like Celtic who don't win something when they are expected to.

I have found that when playing long term with Rangers. Neil Lennon might become under pressure, but as soon as the season finishes Celtic are 2nd. At the end of the day that's fine for the board.

The board don't seem to take in account overall long term success as his job security gets reset back to stable for the following season.

That does seem too lenient. Can't see even a club legend like Lennon lasting that long.

Sometimes I think past performance is discarded too easily though, I regularly see the likes of Arsene Wenger and David Moyes come under pressure because they are sat, say, 6th and 10th respectively after a few months of the first season.

I always feel sorry for FM David Moyes, he consistently gets the boot early on & if he performs miracles in season 1 he is guaranteed to get sacked when he fails to achieve the same level of results in season 2.

Tough one to get right in the game though as Moyes & to a slightly lesser extent Wneger are the real life exception who prove the rule that credit for past achievements is worthless & a manager is always a month or two away from getting sacked.

I always feel sorry for FM David Moyes, he consistently gets the boot early on & if he performs miracles in season 1 he is guaranteed to get sacked when he fails to achieve the same level of results in season 2.

Tough one to get right in the game though as Moyes & to a slightly lesser extent Wneger are the real life exception who prove the rule that credit for past achievements is worthless & a manager is always a month or two away from getting sacked.

In my earlier save, he'd flirt with being sacked during the first half of the season before leading Everton on a strong run to the finish. He then took over at Liverpool (if I recall correctly) and won the league and Champions League with them. Definitely the best-performing manager in the Premier League in my game!

Yeah, well it's strange in a way that celtic aren't a force. Rangers often arent too in FM of late. They're always decent, but sometimes they just.. slip and never seem to return fully, only partly.

In Fm2010, celtic were outstanding, had a st mirren (my team) vs Celtic champions league final. In 2011, and what little I've seen of 2012, they just dont seem to really reach the same levels and get pipped by other teams.

I like that in a way, as I like changing things from the norm. However I also like a bit of compettition, but it doesnt often come in the SPL.

That does seem quite lenient, has there been any pressure on him? Like media stories saying "Sack looms for Celtic Boss" or having to answer questions about him in a press conference?

On one of my saves Peterborough managed to get into the Premier League and establish themselves as a mid-table side, however they had an absolutely horiffic start to one season and ended up sacking their manager and appointing Yaya Toure. Before he'd even had a chance to manage one game a story popped up in my inbox saying he had to win to keep his job! They didn't win but fortunately he wasn't sacked until their relegation was confirmed later in the season.

Archived