So I have an awful processor... Best old version to install?

I'm really missing FM right now, and my choice is FM 08, FM 09 and FM 10.

I only have 1.60 GHZ of processing power, but I think all will be fine if I just run England and Germany (which is what I normally do.)

Thoughts?

I'm really missing FM right now, and my choice is FM 08, FM 09 and FM 10.

I only have 1.60 GHZ of processing power, but I think all will be fine if I just run England and Germany (which is what I normally do.)

Thoughts?

FM09 for the database (my personal favorite FM)

FM08 for the gameplay

FM10 if you're not a fan of classic tactics

Maybe download CM01/02 (or is it 00/01?). I think it is still a free download from the publisher's website. I don't know if it is deep enough for you, but your processor will gobble it up.

FM07

FM08 added lots of extra processing items which will slow it down.

Actually, FM08 was faster than FM07! I know because I tested it. Also, I remember one of the 'features' on the box being that they had worked on processing to speed up the game!

FM08 was one of the fastest and most stable versions of the game, in my opinion.

FM09 was the version that was super slow and unresponsive. At least that was my experience with it.

I know all of this because I tend to run speed tests on new FMs whilst trying to work out the best leagues and database set-up for a game.

Personally, I would recommend FM10 as my personal favourite version from recent years. It's definitely one of the best titles in the FM series.

FM10 is also probably the version I've put the most hours into. CM2, CM01/02, CM03/04, FM07 and FM08 all have special memories associated with them too.

FM10 is a great game though and one of the best SI have produced in my opinion. I still have it installed and will probably continue to play it in the future. There are so many things that I like about it, although I know it isn't without its flaws (but no FM game is).

When I load FM10 up now after having mainly played FM12 for the last six months, I'm struck by how much I like how it looks and how everything seems quite intuitive but then I guess that happens with a game when you put so many hours into it! For me, FM12 is quite an ugly game and I dislike many of the UI and skin choices, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, out of the versions you have listed, I would highly recommend FM10. If it was me making this choice, FM10 is the first version I would pick for sure. Then, after that, in second place, I might consider FM08. I'm afraid FM09 wouldn't get anywhere near a list of possibilities though. I really strongly disliked FM09 for various reasons.

So yeah, play FM10! ;)

Actually, FM08 was faster than FM07! I know because I tested it. Also, I remember one of the 'features' on the box being that they had worked on processing to speed up the game!

FM08 was one of the fastest and most stable versions of the game, in my opinion.

FM09 was the version that was super slow and unresponsive. At least that was my experience with it.

I know all of this because I tend to run speed tests on new FMs whilst trying to work out the best leagues and database set-up for a game.

This is the second time that I'll be agreeing with crouchaldinho on the same subject as before: the speed of FM08.

Being someone who's always changing versions of FM, I can safely say FM08 is the fastest version to date (faster than FM07 as well). For some reason, saving a game on FM07 takes an eternity too.

FM09 is shockingly slow and lacks certain important things such as width control of individual players (side arrows had been removed and there was no alternative put in place). Plus defenders had a screw loose on it.

I only have 1.60 GHZ of processing power

What kind of processor? This could be anything from Pentium 4 (weak) to Core i5 (great). You can only compare processors by their clock speed if they are of the same type, i.e. a fictional Core i5 clocked at 1.0 Ghz would completely outpeform a Pentium 4 at 3.6 Ghz in anything. Likewise, to compare two of the newer processors, an Athlon FX needs to be clocked at higher speeds than an Intel Core i5/i7 to be able to roughly compete with those processors.

That said, I didn't play the earliest iterations of FM, but from old threads on FM I've gathered quite some complaints about the computing speed when these were teamed up with modest PCs of their era - i.e. Pentium 4 / Athlon XP on FM 2005 or CM 4. Particularly when the game was set up with multiple leagues and competitions running. Suggesting that, at its core, the processing load maybe hasn't increased that massively. Coincidentally a 1.8 Ghz processor (likely a then popular Pentium 4) was being recommended for FM 2005 already. Of course I may be wrong. If the demos weren't that limited in terms of data loaded up, they'd be a good starting point to compare.

FM08 might be faster it might have a better match engine less easily exploitable with target man tactics but it's also the first FM where multiple choice media interaction reared its ugly head. It might process data quicker then 07 but the playing experience is bogged down by a lot more news items that require a response.

What kind of processor? This could be anything from Pentium 4 (weak) to Core i5 (great). You can only compare processors by their clock speed if they are of the same type, i.e. a fictional Core i5 clocked at 1.0 Ghz would completely outpeform a Pentium 4 at 3.6 Ghz in anything. Likewise, to compare two of the newer processors, an Athlon FX needs to be clocked at higher speeds than an Intel Core i5/i7 to be able to roughly compete with those processors.

That said, I didn't play the earliest iterations of FM, but from old threads on FM I've gathered quite some complaints about the computing speed when these were teamed up with modest PCs of their era - i.e. Pentium 4 / Athlon XP on FM 2005 or CM 4. Particularly when the game was set up with multiple leagues and competitions running. Suggesting that, at its core, the processing load maybe hasn't increased that massively. Coincidentally a 1.8 Ghz processor (likely a then popular Pentium 4) was being recommended for FM 2005 already. Of course I may be wrong. If the demos weren't that limited in terms of data loaded up, they'd be a good starting point to compare.

Intel Celeron CPU B815 1.6 GHZ

So I don't know if that has any impact on what I can run...

I booted FM 05 yesterday for a bit of a laugh, and uninstalled it after 20 minutes - just atrocious.

I'd love to give FM 10 a go, but I don't know if my processor is going to handle it, as the minimum is 2 GHZ...

And my laptop is tremendously quick right now, and I really don't want to slow it down...

FM08 .... the first FM where multiple choice media interaction reared its ugly head.

I'm not a fan of that either but I think FM08 was pretty minimal with the media interaction. Certainly nothing compared to post-FM09!

FM09 was the one that introduced press conferences and the like.

It might process data quicker then 07 but the playing experience is bogged down by a lot more news items that require a response.

I'd generally disagree with this, to be honest. I played a ridiculous (unhealthy) amount of both FM07 and FM08.

I love FM07 but FM08 was both faster with the processing and generally quicker to play. That's my experience with it anyway.

But overall, I'd have to say that I enjoyed both versions and there wouldn't be much in it.

I'd still pick FM10 out of the games listed in the OP and it's just my opinion that I wouldn't recommend going back past FM08. A lot of people are very nostalgic about FM07 and put on rose-tinted glasses when thinking about it (myself included as I was hooked on it) but I'm not sure how well it will have stood the test of time for some people!

Intel Celeron CPU B815 1.6 GHZ

So I don't know if that has any impact on what I can run...

I booted FM 05 yesterday for a bit of a laugh, and uninstalled it after 20 minutes - just atrocious.

I'd love to give FM 10 a go, but I don't know if my processor is going to handle it, as the minimum is 2 GHZ...

And my laptop is tremendously quick right now, and I really don't want to slow it down...

I'd guess that this laptop wouldn't handle FM10 too well but maybe others will know better. FM08 might well work though. Again I'm not sure.

In fact, I can check my collection of games for the specs. I'll be back in a moment!

I'm not sure if your processor is dual core though? I'm guessing not.

I very much doubt that it is to be honest.

I got my laptop free with a phone - as it's more for work for school, than Football Manager.

I just want to play it to be honest. Thanks for all the help guys, especially you Crouchaldinho :)

FM12 min specs:

Win XP/Vista/W7

processor 1.4GHz

1GB RAM

FM10 specs:

Vista/XP, Win 7

1.4GHz for XP, 2GHz for Vista

1GB RAM

FM08:

Win XP

1.2GHz processor

256MB RAM

FM07:

Win 98/2000/XP

800MHz processor

128MB RAM

Bear in mind that all specs listed above are minimum specs. You'll probably be okay running one nation's league system with a medium database if you only match the minimum specs.

Also, and sorry for the bombardment of questions, how much space will each take up?

I'm now talking about 08 and 10, as the former is probably my favourite, but 10 is a more up to date database, so I'd quite like to give that a go.

I have 4GB of RAM and my laptop is really, really quick right now - and I really don't want to slow it down too massively.

Thanks a lot mate :)

Thanks a bunch.

The thing that gets me is that Windows 7 isn't listed on FM 10. So would it be 1.4 or 2?

As that's what I'm running...

It does actually list Win 7 as being the same as Vista. I just didn't type it up properly.

Do you actually own FM10? If so, why don't you try it out?

If you don't, maybe try to install the demo if it's still available. I assume it is.

Also, and sorry for the bombardment of questions, how much space will each take up?

I'm now talking about 08 and 10, as the former is probably my favourite, but 10 is a more up to date database, so I'd quite like to give that a go.

I have 4GB of RAM and my laptop is really, really quick right now - and I really don't want to slow it down too massively.

Thanks a lot mate :)

It won't take up any RAM. It's your hard disc space that stores the game.

4GB of RAM is pretty good and may help you quite a bit with running FM.

In terms of hard disc space, I'm not 100% sure how much they take up but FM10 will definitely be more due to the 3D graphics stuff.

I would say FM08 would run on your computer but you would probably need to keep it fairly modest on the leagues loaded and database size. Regarding FM10, it could work, but I can't say really. If it was me, I'd download the demo if it's available (I'm pretty sure it would be on Steam). If FM10 did work, I imagine you'd have to be even more restrictive with your league and database choices.

I would download the demo via steam, but I don't have it and I really don't want to download it.

I think I'm gonna give FM 08 a go. FM at it's simplest - no 3D, quite a bit of press interaction, but not too much, and a quality match engine.

Not to mention, Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney are all still at United. :)

This is the second time that I'll be agreeing with crouchaldinho on the same subject as before: the speed of FM08.

Being someone who's always changing versions of FM, I can safely say FM08 is the fastest version to date (faster than FM07 as well). For some reason, saving a game on FM07 takes an eternity too.

I haven't played FM08 since FM09 came out, and I play FM07 more than any of the old versions, but I definitely agree. FM07 took ages to save. The bar would go to 100% but it wouldn't finish for another minute or so. FM08 was much better in that regard.

FM08 might be faster it might have a better match engine less easily exploitable with target man tactics but it's also the first FM where multiple choice media interaction reared its ugly head. It might process data quicker then 07 but the playing experience is bogged down by a lot more news items that require a response.

That's not actually true. FM07 was the first version for multiple choice media interaction. Playing it now and have had several news items with this.

Installed FM 08, downloaded the last patch (8.0.2) and took over at Newcastle.

Said I'd achieve continental qualification and got £44 million to spend! Signed Van der Vaart for £16 million and Vermaelen for £5 million.

Beat Birmingham 4-0 in my first game :)

Thanks a lot guys :D

Archived