Jack's Journeyman Career

JackJCFC

Having tried and failed at several challenges and with my Wales save now too slow to play i thought i'd try my hand at a journeyman career, something i've never tried before. I usually like to stay at one team for decades and build a team from nothing so this should be an interesting one.

I've loaded leagues from England, Germany, Sweeden, Portugal and Holland which gives me plenty of options.

Manager Profile

I don't really have any aims as such as i'd just like to see where the save takes me, the only thing i will say is that i will focus alot on youth and bringing youth through at the clubs i'm at.

Ill post an update as soon as i find a job!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So applied for every job going and this is what came up. All Swedish teams, the only one i recognised was Hammarby but having looked at their team and league postition, i decided against it as they were bottom with 0 points after 12 games.

joboffers.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After looking at all the team i decided to go to IK Frej who are currently sitting 2nd in Swedish 1st division North. They have a pretty good large squad which should be useful, will be opting for a 4-1-2-1-2 to begin with and seeing how that pans out.

Facilities aren't great but i'm not too bothered about that as i doubt i'll be around long enough to make a difference!

Just to add, ill be doing monthly updates starting with July.

July 2011

BK Forward (A): 1-0. A tough start to my spell as manager away against the top team. In the end it was a close game, we looked to hit them on the counter attack and had plenty of chances but it was a 55th minute header from a corner which decided the match. Not a winning start but positives to be had.

Vasalunds IF (A): 0-1. My first career victory. Again, it was a close match that was decided on a 57th minute header from a corner. We had a good 2nd half and had the chance to score more but it’s the 3 points that matter.

Umea FC (H): 0-2. We dominated the first half hour but Umea hit us with 2 goals just before half time, to make matters worse we went down to 10 men seconds before the half time whistle. We managed to contain the score and create few chances in the 2nd half but it ended in a disappointing defeat.

Karlstad BK (A): 2-0. Poor performances all round in a match we should have won.

League

Dropped from 2nd to 5th this month but its pretty tight between the top 6 teams so that’s to be expected. Disappointed with 3 defeats but hopefully I can sort out my tactics in the future. The boards target at the moment is to avoid relegation as we are the newly promoted side.

August 2011

Akropolis IF (H): 4-3. We got off to a great start with 2 goals in the first 6 minutes, however, Akropolis managed to come back in the game with 2 goals before half time. They made it 3-2 just a minute after half time. The game looked out of our reach until sub Erstadius came off the bench to bring it to 3-3 on the 82n minute. Ledezma made it 4-3 in the 92nd minute with seconds left for a sweet victory in a crazy match.

Syrianska IF Kerburan (H): 2-2. A close game with all the goals coming in the first half. They took the lead after 24 minutes but we hit them on the counter and equalised on the 31st. Syrianska then took the lead for a 2nd time on the 34th minute before we score the 4th and final goal of the game on the brink of half time.

IK Sirius (A): 5-0. The scoreline doesn’t really represent that game. We went 2-0 down after 30 minutes but after half time we came out playing well. As the match went on we pushed further forward and Sirius got 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. Bit of a morale destroyer.

Vasby United (H): 1-0. With morale still damaged from the previous game our first half performance was poor with Vasby having the better of the play. This continued into the 2nd half until we fortunately took the lead from a corner with 15 minutes left, we managed to dig in and get an important 3 points.

League

Happy with 7 points this month, obviously disappointed with the big defeat but its good to see us picking up a lot of points at home. Just the away form to sort out.

Pity promotion seems out of reach now.

I never really had an expectation of promotion, given the stature of the team i'd be happpy with a top 5 finish, if i'm very lucky then i may be able to push for 2nd.

September 2011

Hammarby TFF (A): 0-3. A straightforward win against a team already relegated. Good for morale and a bit of a boost to my tiny goal difference.

Dalkurd FF (H): 1-1. A fair result in the end. We took the lead in the first half having been the better team. However, Dalkurd pushed on in the 2nd half and created several chances, putting one away to earn a point.

IK Lulea (A): 0-2. A great performance, we controlled the first half, taking the lead through Ledezma on the 26th minute. Jovanovic made it 2-0 just after half time to give us a comfortable lead that was easily defended for the remainder of the game.

Valsta Syrianska IK (H): 2-1. Ledezma gave us a first half lead but a keeper fumble at the beginning of the 2nd half gifted the opposition a goal. However, we were in full control of the match and were able to pick up the 3 points from headed set piece.

League

A great month for us, picking up 10 points and securing a top 4 finish. With 2 games left we sit 4 points behind 2nd place which now looks unlikely so 3rd is the target, that said, we still have to play the champions in our final matches.

August 2011

BK Forward (H): 0-1. A close game with BK having more chances, they stole the points on the 85th minute which was unlucky. This means we are certain to finish 4th.

Bodens BK (A): 2-0. A poor performance, Thor was sent off after 15 minutes but it remained 0-0 until the 47th minute, we tried to play on the counter but created little, Bodens doubled their lead with 5 minutes left.

League

A disappointing way to end the season but all in all happy with 4th place. I find it hard to see how I could have made the top 2 as the team does not currently have the quality to compete at the top. My contract is up in November and there is a lack of jobs going around at the moment, I’ve already rejected one attempt to renew my stay but I have a feeling I may extend my stay for a year as I feel with the right signings I could push for promotion, that said I am still looking elsewhere for jobs.

Season Update to follow...

IK Frej

League

Predicted: 13th

Finished: 4th

Took over after 10 games having been in 2nd place, had a bit of a dodgy start picking up 3 points in my first 4 games but finished strongly to take 4th place.

League

Cups

Out of the Swedish cup before I arrived.

Transfers

Not much to talk about in terms of transfers, hope to get rid of some of the deadwood in the off season.

I’m currently looking for new wingbacks, central midfielder and another striker, all of whom I’m hoping to pick up on a free.

Transfers

Finances

Improved Junior coaching to adequate and we are still managing to make a small 5-10k profit per month.

Finances

When the youth candidates come through in December I’ll post a short update of any players of good potential/ability.

March 2012

With preseason out of the way, our first game was in the first round of the Swedish Cup.

Swedish Cup

IK Sirius (A): 2-1. Wasn’t all that bothered about this game but we managed to run them close. Sirius were the better team for most of the match and had a 2-0 until the 82nd minute when we pulled one back but it was not meant to be.

April 2012

IFK Lulea (A): 2-3. Conceded early on but pulled it back to 2-1 at half time. Added a 3rd early in the 2nd half but conceded with 15 minutes to go to give a nervy finish. Good start to the season.

Vasteras SK (H): 1-0. An early goal was enough for a win in a match we completely dominated, could have been a lot more.

Vasby United (H): 4-1. A hat-trick from Tedengren was the highlight in a superb match and a great win.

League

The perfect start to the season sees us in 3rd place as 1 of 3 teams that won all their matches this month. Hopefully we can keep this up and compete for the title, although now is the time that other jobs in Europe are becoming available so should the right job appear, I may leave.

May 2012

IF Sylvia (A): 0-1. Dominated the match having over 20 shots but only managing the one goal. Got the important 3 points but need to be more clinical in front of goal.

Ostersunds FK (H): 5-0. Game was over after 17 minutes and we were 4-0 up. Completely overran them and it was a joy to watch.

Vasalunds IF (A): 0-0. Couldn’t hit the target in this match, had over 12 shots too. Went down to 10 men for the last 20 minutes so a point isn’t all bad.

Arameisk-Syrianska IF (H): 5-1. A straightforward win with all 3 of my subs getting on the scoresheet.

League

Another great month for us, our home form really helping our goal difference at the moment. Have a big match against Sirius next month which could give us a good bumper if we win.

June 2012

IK Sirius (H): 3-1. An early goal settled us down, we went 2-0 up before half time but Sirius pulled one back just after. However, the match was put out of sight when we scored a third from a corner.

Syrianska IF Kerburan (A): 4-3. A shock defeat with several defensive errors proving costly, puts the work from the last game out of the window.

Dalkurd FF (A): 2-1. Defensive frailties exposed once again. Despite them being down to 10 men for the 2nd half we still couldn’t win which is extremely disappointing. May have to consider a different tactic for away games as it doesn’t seem as effective.

Enkopings SK (H): 2-0. Back to winning ways at home for a much needed 3 points.

Akropolis FK (A): 2-0. A change in tactic couldn’t change our poor away performances which need to be solved fast if we are to have a chance at the title.

League

Poor month, picking up 6 points and losing all our away games. Needs to be sorted quickly.

August 2012

IFK Lulea (H): 2-0. A standard home win that puts us back on top. One bad note however is that a key defender and striker got injured. The defender being out for 6 months.

Vasteras SK (A): 1-1. Not a great performance by any means but at least it’s a point away from home.

Vasby United (A): 0-0. Dominated the match and should have won. Not a good result at all.

Ostersunds FK (A): 2-1. Went 1-0 after a penalty. Went down to 10 men with 10 minutes left and conceded again before grabbing an consolation goal. Utter garbage.

League

Think the any chance of the title has gone now, away performances have just become joke. On top of that I’ve got my best striker out for 3 months and defender for 6 months. I always intended to leave at the end of this season but it seems the game is making it an even easier choice.

Septmeber 2012

IF Sylvia (H): 1-2. We were leading 1-0 through an own goal until the 84th minute when we concede two in 6 minutes.

Vasalunds IF (H): 1-3. This was a must win game if we were to challenge for 1st and we bottled it. We took the lead in the first half but quickly surrendered 2 goals. A red card put us down to 10 men for the 2nd half where we were woeful. This is now 5 games without a win.

League

Now sitting in 5th place and on a massive slump i’ve decided to resign. I’ve never seen a team go backwards so fast and its just become too annoying to continue in charge. I await the first sackings elsewhere in Europe for my next job.

After a couple of months of unsucessful applications Southport finally decided i was worth the risk and employed me until the end of the season. They are currently lingering in 22nd in the BSP but are in an easily savable position.

Squads not great but it certainly has the potential to be at least midtable. Hopefully i can strengthen it with a few free transfers to give us that extra push.

Finances are 100k in the red but thats not too important right now, we are £1k under budget for wages which gives me some room for manouvre.

My targert is for a mid table this season then a playoff push in my first full season next year should i still be here.

November 2012

Alfreton (A): 1-2. A great start as manager, I set up in a 5-3-2 formation as hard to break down and playing on the counter. We went 1 up after 2 minutes but Alfreton got one back soon after. We stuck again on the 16th minute and held out for an important 3 points.

Ebbsfleet (H): 1-2. Almost snatched a draw but a goal 7 minutes from time stole the points.

League

Happy with my start as manager, got the morale up and the team out of the relegation zone. If we can keep these performances up then mid table should be achievable. Also sorted out some great free transfers who will be arriving in January so the team could have a great 2nd half of the season.

December 2012

Accrington (A): 3-1. This was more damage limitation than anything else, all in all we weren’t bad and morale remains high.

Hereford (H): 0-3. Another tough match, we conceded twice in the last 10 minutes which was annoying.

Fa Trophy

Barrow (A): 6-0. Played reserves and went attacking but got destroyed more than I expected.

Grimsby (A): 0-2. A good win, took the lead through an own goal, had keeper sent off after 50 minutes but we doubled the lead shortly after.

Forest Green (A): 2-1. Took the lead early on but conceded twice in the 2nd half with their 2nd goal being a penalty.

Mansfield (H): 0-1. Poor game from us, created very little and deserved to lose.

League

Not a good month at all from us, I just hope the players I’ve bought in can make an impact and push us up the table.

January 2013

Lincoln (A): 1-0. An even game just an unfortunate scoreline with Lincoln getting the early goal. Desperately need a striker who knows where the goal is.

Hayes and Yeading (H): 0-1. Again, created nothing and deserved to lose.

Guiseley (A): 0-0. Out played and got a point but in reality this was a match we should have been winning.

AFC Telford (A): 2-2. We had 10 new players in the starting 11 compared to last month and they are still gelling, we came back from 2-0 down to claim an important point.

League

In the relegation zone still and we really need to pick up some form if we are to avoid going down. Hoping that the new player can gel fast.

February 2013

Stockport (H): 2-2. Dominated the game but had to get 2 goals in the last 10 minutes for the draw.

Barrow (H): 1-0. A good win for us with the early goal settling us down. Players starting to gel now, although I’d expect my strikers to be scoring more.

Gateshead (H): 1-0. A debut goal from 39 year old Kevin Phillips gave us the lead, we went down to 10 men with 20 minutes left but managed to hold on.

Newport County (H): 2-0. A comfortable win and a valuable 3 points, 3rd win and clean sheet in a row shows the great progress we are making.

Dartford (A): 2-0. Rotated the squad and had a disappointing performance against a poor Dartford side.

Kettering (A): 0-2. Two quick goals just after half time were enough for a win in a match where we were the better team.

League

A great month for us, picking up 13 points and going 7 points clear of the relegation zone. Team has really gelled and the defence has been impressive bar the game against Dartford.

March 2013

Kidderminster (H): 0-0. Went down to 10 men after 8 minutes but held out for a great point against the top team.

Wrexham (A): 1-0. An even match but Wrexham stole it on the 90th minute.

York (H): 1-2. We were winning until the 85th minute when we conceded to quick goals, massive disappointment.

Woking (A): 1-1. A 93rd minute goal from us was enough to gain a point in a somewhat fortuitous draw.

Stalybridge (H): 2-1. An important win in this relegation battle. We went 2-0 up after 10 minutes but a late Stalybridge goal made the end a nervy one.

Alfreton (H): 2-1. Another big win for us, we completely dominated the game, a comeback threatened when they scored late on but we held out.

League

A decent month for us, I think we could have picked up a couple more points but it doesn’t matter as safety looks almost guaranteed as we are now 9 points clear of relegation.

Congrats on safety! Now you have a summer to take care of the squad.
Should do a lot better in your first full season.

Cheers, its gonna be a big summer for transfers with alot of overpaid players leaving on frees. I've already bought in a whole new starting 11 compared to when i arrived, i just need to add some strength in depth for the promotion push.

April 2013

Braintree (A): 1-1. Had a man sent off after 20 minutes but scored shortly after. Braintree scored just before half time and had a penalty saved in the 2nd half as we just about held on for a point.

Ebbsfleet (A): 0-1. An even match with our goal coming from the penalty spot, nevertheless, a great 3 points for us.

Accrington (H): 2-1. Dominated the game and got 2 first half goals. Accrington pulled one back with 10 minutes left but we held on for another great win against a top team.

Hereford (A): 2-0. Poor game from us, hardly had a shot and deserved to lose.

Grimsby (H): 2-0. A solid win to end the season, we controlled the match and could easily have scored more if we’d have taken our chances.

League

A great month for us with some impressive wins. Overall a good end to the season which eventually saw us 15 points clear of relegation.

Southport 2012-2013

League

Predicted: 16th

Finished: 18th

Took over in November with the team in the relegation zone. Managed to bring in some quality players in January, took a while for them to gel but once they did we went on a great run that saw us 15 points clear of relegation. If we can take similar sort of form into next season then playoffs are a real possibility.

League

Cups

Out of the cups before I arrived.

Transfers

Completely restructured the squad, bringing in pretty much a whole new starting 11. Got rid of some of the deadwood with more leaving at the end of their contract this summer. Hopefully I can lower the wage bill so I can bring in some more quality players. Most of the players I signed are already as a decent League 2 standard.

Transfers

Hard to pick one outstanding transfer but in my opinion these two were the best.

Marlon Jackson

Sam Walker

Finances

Finances are in bad shape but I’m not too worried about that at the moment, I’ll try to arrange some lucrative friendlies in the summer to help on that front, getting promoted would also help massively.

Finances

I've just signed a new contract which takes me until the end of next season, i don't see myself being here long term but promotion next year may change my mind. Apart from that i'm just monitoring any opportunities that come up.

August 2013

Gateshead (A): 2-0. Really bad performance from us, conceded two early goals and created virtually nothing.

Ebbsfleet (H): 0-0. We were the better team but just couldn’t hit the target, still a decent point.

Forest Green (A): 1-0. Had over 12 shots but not 1 on target. Another poor show from us.

York (H): 0-0. Again we were the better team but still no goals which is becoming a worry.

Mansfield (A): 0-1. Finally got a win! A great defensive performance and a clean sheet aswell as managing to score, hopefully this can kick-start our season.

League

Not quite the start I imagined, keeping the scores low but struggling upfront, not sure why this is and I hope the win at the end of the month boosts the confidence.

September 2013

Chelmsford (H): 0-0. We had the more chances and were the better team but our scoring woes continue.

Kettering (H): 1-0. An even game but a goal on the hour mark proved to be the difference. That’s two goals this season!

Woking (A): 0-0. Again, dominated the game in terms of chances, just cant seem to score.

Fleetwood (A): 1-0. Was always going to be a tough match and we were just edged out by a strong Fleetwood team.

Stockport (H): 2-1. Scored two goals straight after half time, went down to 9 men due to injuries with 10 minutes left which led to Stockport getting a goal back.

Barrow (H): 2-0. A change to 4-3-3 and a comfortable win. The downside being I lost 2 strikers and a RB to injury.

League

A good month for us this time with a few wins that has allowed us to make up some ground on the playoff positions. As long as we can keep the defence tight we are always in with a chance.

Might just add that the main reason we have so many clean sheets is probably due to the fact i have Chris Kirkland in goal!

November 2013

FA Cup 4th Qualifying round

Droylsden (H): 3-0. Played a team of backups and it was a comfortable victory with Kevin Phillips getting 2 goals.

Grimsby (H): 0-0. Neither team played that well, both had chances but struggled to hit the target.

Bromley (A): 1-2. Took a first half lead through McCallum but Bromley got one back after half time through an own goal. However Jackson hit his first goal in 13 hours to give us the 3 points.

FA Cup 1st Round

Cambridge (H): 2-1. We were 2nd best in the first half but took the lead through McCallum. Cambridge continued to dominate in the 2nd half but we went 2 up after a long ranger from Izzet. Cambridge got one back late on but we held on for the win, with huge credit to Kirkland for keeping us in it.

Cheltenham (H): 1-2. We took the lead through a first half penalty but they equalised before half time. The 2nd half was fairly even but Cheltenham stole it on the 90th minute.

Accrington (A): 1-1. We were the better team but wasteful in front of goal meaning that this is 2 points dropped.

Newport County (H): 1-1. They took the lead completely out of the blue and we were all over them. We equalised before half time and Kevin Phillips missed a penalty shortly after. In the 2nd half things were the same and we were lucky not to lose, with Kirkland saving a penalty with 10 minutes left.

League

A poor month for us in the league as well fell further behind in the race for playoff’s, we’ve dropped points in games that we shouldn’t have but hopefully we can rectify that in December. Things are going well in the FA Cup however, having made it to the 2nd round and drawn BSN team Eastwood, the likelihood of making it to the 3rd round is high.

December 2013

Hayes & Yeading (A): 0-3. An even game but this was a rare occasion in that we actually took our chances to get a great win, goals came from defence, midfield and attack.

FA Cup 2nd Round

Eastwood (A): 1-1. Had a man sent off after 2 minutes but still dominated the first half, taking the lead after 34 minutes. Eastwood created nothing in the 2nd half but managed to get a goal back after a Kirkland own goal to force a replay.

FA Trophy 1st Round

Newport County (A): 2-0. Played backups in this one but we still managed to play better and create more, the problem once again is that we didn’t score them and Newport did. Not bothered about this trophy anyway but a poor loss.

FA Cup 2nd Round Replay

Eastwood (H): 2-1. We got an early goal at the beginning of both halves to give us the advantage, Eastwood went attacking near the end, pulling one back but it wasn’t enough as we progress through to the 3rd round.

Gateshead (H): 0-1. Conceded early as Gateshead controlled. Had a good 2nd half with plenty of chances but couldn’t score.

Forest Green (H): 4-0. A great win against one of the teams lingering just above us in the table, the goals do us the world of good in terms of goal difference too.

Ebbsfleet (A): 2-0. They took the lead against the run of play just before half time, in the 2nd half they were stronger and grabbed another. A poor result for us.

League

Lost more ground of the playoff positions and really need some good form now to make it, need to sign a new RB in January and probably also a striker who can actually score goals as that’s the problem at the moment. Pleased with the FA cup run through and could make it through if we beat Ebbsfleet.

January 2014

FA Cup 3rd Round

Ebbsfleet (A): 2-2. Took an early lead but switched off and found ourselves losing at half time. We looked to be heading out until we got a 2nd with 10 minutes left from the penalty spot to get a replay at home.

Mansfield (H): 2-2. Didn’t play well at all and were 2nd best for the most part, we just about managed a draw so at least it’s a point.

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

Ebbsfleet (H): 0-0 ET 4-2 Pens. A nerve wracking game, we were the better team throughout but the game was goalless for 120 minutes. Ebbsfleet missed their 1st and 4th penalties with us missing the 4th meaning that we went through to the 4th Round against Everton at home.

Chelmsford (A): 0-0. Should have won this one, we had the chances and wasted them.

York (A): 1-0. York completely controlled the game, we were lucky it was only 1-0.

Kettering (A): 2-1. Terrible result against the bottom team, our goal was a late consolation. Our form seems to have disappeared as we’re now closer to relegation zone than playoffs.

AFC Telford (H): 1-2. A 90th minute goal gave them the win, another rubbish result against a team in the relegation zone.

League

Our form is the worst in the league having only picked up 2 points this month. Got the Everton game a few days into February but apart from that nothing to look forward to. Can’t wait until end of season when I can leave, my time here is done.

February 2014

FA Cup 4th Round

Everton (H): 0-3. It took 35 minutes for them to score but they pummelled us and had over 20 shots, we were always going to lose this one, especially in our current form.

Woking (H): 1-1. Poor performance another draw. Not much else to add.

Stockport (A): 2-0. Another poor performance and loss. Still cant score despite having league 2 standard strikers. Seriously considering leaving.

Fleetwood (H): 2-2. Looked set for the win until an own goal 7 minute from time gave them a point, unlucky in the end but not a bad result.

Barrow (A): 1-5. Finally the teams scores a few goals! Jackson scored a superb hat-trick which will hopefully be a big boost to both him and the team. The decision to move to an attacking 4-3-3 proved to be the right one, let’s see if it works longer term.

Hinckley (H): 2-0. Absolutely dominated the match and could have had a lot more than 2 goals.

Kidderminster (A): 2-1. Unlucky to lose. Had 8 shots on target but their keeper played a blinder, in the end it was an own goal which settled the match.

League

A bad start to the month but picked up a couple of wins near the end and performances improved which gives me some reason for optimism. I think the best we can hope for now is a solid 8th 9th place. Good news on the finances, they are now positive after the FA Cup run.

March 2014

Wrexham (H): 2-1. Scored two early goals as we took control of the match. Wrexham threatened a few times but it was an own goal 7 minutes from the end from which they got their goal.

Braintree (A): 0-1. A solid win with the goal coming from a penalty. We were down to 10 men after 50 minutes but held on well.

Cambridge (H): 4-1. A great win including two goals from Irish midfielder Frank Scott helps continue our end of season form, unfortunately I think its too late to make much of an impact higher up.

Bromley (H): 5-0. Goals Galore in this one as we ran riot, we were 3 up after 30 minutes, with another 2 goals for Jackson.

Grimsby (A): 0-3. 2 early goals from Moult helped us on our way to a comfortable away win.

League

The race for the playoffs is on! A great 100% winning month for the first time ever in charge of Southport, one that has earned me manager of the month. This end of season form has really made me question my early season tactics, if I’d played like we was now we’d be up there, I’m quite tempted to stay on another year to see if I can do it!

Not the best league results, but it's starting to come together now. Great run in the cup though!

The form we were showing then was so frustrating, but a tactical change has sorted that all out, in great form now!

April 2014

Cheltenham (A): 1-0. We controlled this match from start to finish but a rare Cheltenham break away got a goal which was completely against the run of play, unfortunate, probably signals the end of playoff hopes.

Accrington (H): 1-0. An early goal from a corner proved to be the difference in a solid performance.

Newport County (A): 0-1. A tough match with both sides having good chances, we just about nicked the win with a 73rd minute goal.

Hayes & Yeading (H): 3-0. An easy win despite some very tired legs that were out there.

AFC Telford (A): 2-3. A tough game and good win against a feisty Telford performance with all three strikers scoring.

League

Another good month bar the Cheltenham result, glad we put together some strong end of season form even if it meant we didn’t make the playoff’s. 8th is still a good position and I hope that we can build on that next year having signed a new 1 year contract.

Archived