Ridiculously fast newgen central midfielders;

Anyone elses game full of them?

I understand that some central midfielders are really quick, but there seems to be far too many in my game. Also, because alot of CA will be used for this speed, players judged as world class have slightly poorer stat distribution, for example, poorer technical attributes that personally I deem to be more important than speed. Every other position seems fairly well distributed, but theres loads of rapid CM, DM, and AM around for me.

Like I said, anyone else?

It's another of those wacky templates SI seem to love so much ;)

The "sailor-hat" centreback, the "left-arrow CM", the "fish winger" and the infamous "wash icon" striker

Every time I see such "miscasts" I wonder how such a player could make it through 3-4 years of "hidden academy" without nobody noticing he was being played in the wrong position.

Anyway the Match Engine is so biased toward pace and acceleration such speed merchants can easily become valuable players despite them being painfully untalented at anything but running.

The "sailor-hat" centreback, the "left-arrow CM", the "fish winger" and the infamous "wash icon" striker

Every time I see such "miscasts" I wonder how such a player could make it through 3-4 years of "hidden academy" without nobody noticing he was being played in the wrong position.

Anyway the Match Engine is so biased toward pace and acceleration such speed merchants can easily become valuable players despite them being painfully untalented at anything but running.

yes, your sounds rightg.gif

Quality descriptions. Nice to know it wasn't just me noticing it anyway.

This is probably my favourite ever post I've seen on this forum. Those descriptions are brilliant. As mentioned the Speed Kings in centre-mid can actually be useful, but I wouldn't want to my midfield stacked with them. Having at least on guy in there that can pick a pass is necessary too.

IRL *cough*splutter*Theo Walcott*cough*splutter*

It's great watching my hopelessly inadequate CM (Dribbling attribute of 8, first touch of 11) knock a ball 20m past the centreback with his first touch, sprint past him and be one on one with the keeper, only to blast it to the corner flag. Go Pace!

Any young player I get that has Fast Pace and Fast Acceleration, I train them to be a striker.

Emphasis training on composure and finishing and beating offside trap, moving into channels etc.

Time they're in their prime they're ripping teams up.

It's great watching my hopelessly inadequate CM (Dribbling attribute of 8, first touch of 11) knock a ball 20m past the centreback with his first touch, sprint past him and be one on one with the keeper, only to blast it to the corner flag. Go Pace!

i was about to say a similar thing, currently playing in the Swedish League, i have a CF who is lightning fast with a finishing attribute of about 15 but composure of 5, the amount of chances he smashes wide is alarmingly funny!

lmao that's best thing ive read in a long while :D

I think the player development system also has a lot to do it. Since Acceleration and Pace are considered important, heavily weighted attributes for all positions, any high PA player will get a large amount of CA poured into those attributes as he develops. It's also the same reason there are so many defensive midfielders with the Bravery of a nervous poodle. Since "Bravery" is not heavily weighted even for centrebacks and DMs, it hardly ever develops beyond the semi-random number given when the newgen is created.

So while the templates do need to be refined to better reflect real world player roles something also needs to be done about attribute weighting and CA distribution. Personally, I like the idea of dividing physical, mental and technical attributes into completely separate categories so each player has a Physical CA/PA, Mental CA/PA and Technical CA/PA that develop and decline at different rates and for different reasons. This way, high PA won't necessarily be a near-guarantee of incredible physical attributes (in other words, more Xavi-type players and more Kuyt-type players) while preventing injuries and player age from causing dramatic reductions in Mental attributes (particularly since Mental attributes should generally continue to increase in a player's 30's). It would also allow for a better representation of youth players. Instead of having younger players be horrible at everything with the physical constitution of an injury-plagued 45 year-old goalkeeper, they could start with their Physical PA near complete development (so they're at their physical peak in their early 20's) while having their Mental PA fairly low (while designed to gradually rise and peak toward the end of their career).

I think the player development system also has a lot to do it. Since Acceleration and Pace are considered important, heavily weighted attributes for all positions, any high PA player will get a large amount of CA poured into those attributes as he develops. It's also the same reason there are so many defensive midfielders with the Bravery of a nervous poodle. Since "Bravery" is not heavily weighted even for centrebacks and DMs, it hardly ever develops beyond the semi-random number given when the newgen is created.

So while the templates do need to be refined to better reflect real world player roles something also needs to be done about attribute weighting and CA distribution. Personally, I like the idea of dividing physical, mental and technical attributes into completely separate categories so each player has a Physical CA/PA, Mental CA/PA and Technical CA/PA that develop and decline at different rates and for different reasons. This way, high PA won't necessarily be a near-guarantee of incredible physical attributes (in other words, more Xavi-type players and more Kuyt-type players) while preventing injuries and player age from causing dramatic reductions in Mental attributes (particularly since Mental attributes should generally continue to increase in a player's 30's). It would also allow for a better representation of youth players. Instead of having younger players be horrible at everything with the physical constitution of an injury-plagued 45 year-old goalkeeper, they could start with their Physical PA near complete development (so they're at their physical peak in their early 20's) while having their Mental PA fairly low (while designed to gradually rise and peak toward the end of their career).

Yes this may be a good idea. There are too many physical monsters after a while.

Archived