PPM suggestions - Central defender, shoots with power?

You get this suggestion because central defenders often have poor finishing stats, but often find themselves in front of the oppositions goal anyway - after corners or attacking free kicks, for example. The thought is, I presume, that telling them to shoot hard and not bother to try to place the ball, is better if they suddenly find themselves in a position to take a shot. That is my thoughts on that.

The strange thing is, that "shoots hard" can work very well with players who do have very good finishing stats as well. van Persie has that ppm, and in my game, playing as a lone striker, he scores just as plentyful as in the real world.

It has no effect on how they head a ball. I wouldn't waste my time with telling centre-backs to shoot with power. The only PPM I often give the CBs is to not dive into tackles, and that's only if they have very high balance and not so high tackling.

Dunno if this is the right approach, but I've tended to go:

- Shoots with power for players with high strength but low technique.

- Places shots for players with high technique but low strength

I think some degree of finishing matters in both cases, in that it affects the chance of the shot being on target in the first place. When shooting with power, you're hoping that the speed and force of the ball takes it over the line, even if the shot isn't placed perfectly, and even if the keeper gets a touch. When placing your shots, you're hoping that the ball gets put where the keeper can't get to the ball, even if the ball isn't played with all that much ooomph.

Personally I prefer it if my defenders who can't shoot don't shoot at all, making the PPM rather moot in most cases.

Thought as much. It's an annoyingly common suggestion, perhaps SI can set it so that coaches focus on suggesting PPMs that are relevant to the role.

Dream on LB!

Personally I prefer it if my defenders who can't shoot don't shoot at all, making the PPM rather moot in most cases.

I prefer my defenders to shoot when they find themselves deep in the box with the ball at his feet, rather than passing it back out. Sadly there is no "shoot the ball you damn imbecile!" PPM.

• 2 years later...

This one seems to come up quite often as a suggestion for central defenders and I have often wondered if it is at all related to how strongly a defender can clear a ball from his own penalty area (in addition to making him shoot more powerfully at goal)

I'm pretty sure the game just sees the low finishing/high strength combo and suggests this PPM regardless of position.

The one that annoys the hell out of me (or used to when I still paid any attention to my backroom staff) is them constantly telling me to train all keepers to avoid their weaker foot. How the hell would that ever benefit anyone in any situation ever?

Archived