Playing his way up the leagues

So when FM2012 came out, I started a game as F.C. United of Manchester. Upon being promoted in my first season and arriving in the Blue Square Bet North league, I signed Thomas O'Brien in time for the 2012/13 season. I'm about to play my first Premier League game now, in the 2019/20 season, and guess who will be starting?

I have to say in all the versions of Football Manager I've played, I've never had a player be so effective through so many leagues. I signed Loris Karius as my keeper at the same time and I only just released him on a free after being promoted from the Championship. But seriously, O'Brien. The guy has helped me climb up through six leagues, getting promoted in all but two seasons. Just uncanny. Anyone ever had players like this?

Just to clarify: I haven't just kept him around and done nothing with him, he's played over 40 league games per season until the Championship and has played 23+36 in those two seasons, winning my club's player of the season when we got 2nd in the Championship.

Only regens. But I do have a DMC who signed for me as a 16 year old in Blue Square North and is still with me 15 seasons later in the premiership. Just about to break the all-time league appearances too.

Jamil Adam played for me in most games for me as Plymouth getting me from League 2 to the Premiership. Didn't play as much in the Championship, but he still played enough to hit over 20 goals. Absolutely loved it when he finally scored in the Premiership as well where he really is out classed by better strikers I've signed.

I has Johannes Nordstrom. I signed him midway through the 2012/2013 season at Billericay in the BSS and didn't sell him until my 3rd season in the prem. He played pretty much first team until the prem where i started using him as a sub. I didn't rate him that much but he always played fairly well and i felt bad selling him in the end.

In the same team i had a young german striker i signed in the BSP called Niko siefkes, im in about my 4th season in the prem and i still have him. weirdly enough hes only ever been used as a backup (just seeming to be one development step behind where we are). I play him in the prem as a sub but he always scores a decent amount of goals so hes a great backup striker.

I have screens if anyones interested..

I had a few guys on FM07 (I think) when I played as Torquay who were with me from League 2 to the Premiership. Two of them were guys who started on loan (Dorian Dervite and Rachid Ofrany) and came up with me all the way. The other was a guy who started on Torquay, a LM named Kevin Hill. He wasn't that good in the Championship and Premiership, but had good enough jumping, heading, work rate, and determination to get a few goals of corners and contribute.

Not quite BSN to PRM, but I signed Steven Smith (Arsenal youngster) in FM2011 when in the BSP, and he made 30 appearances in the PRM in our first season there. I have since sold him for not being up to scratch though.

Billy Traynor, a DM regen I snapped up in league 2 played 18 games last season in the PRM (again FM 2011). He's not the best midfielder in the team, but definitely a useful player.

I have a lad I signed from Burnley called Shay McCarten who I signed in Isthmian League 1 with Brentwood 8 seasons in Im in League 1 and he is still my leading scorer every season with 15 + he had one year where hes scored 3 but he was out for about 38 games injured.

Archived