Would you ever manage the rival of the team you support in real life?

Simple question really how far do you take your real life dislike of teams? Would you ever manage your real life clubs biggest rival?

I doubt I would manage Newcastle but I would and have managed Middlesboro on an older FM.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Palace supporter and our main rivals are Brighton, Millwall and Charlton. Probably would be able to manage Brighton or Charlton in a journeyman save, but would never ever manage Millwall. Hate them.

This is a difficult one really. I support Manchester United and on FM2007 I was part of an online clan where I had to play as Manchester City, so I didn't really have a choice and i've played as them since, due to the fact the shame has already occured. Other than that I've managed Liverpool and put them into 100's of millions of debt, a very fun save :)

In short, I doubt I would have ever played as a rival properly if I hadn't been part of the online clan.

I am an LFC fan and would never/have never managed Everton and never will!! althought I am currently managing United on FM2008 :o although only because they are linked with the other team I'm doing Walsall!

My true club is Rangers, I've never managed Celtic since I first started playing back in the mid 90's (only other Scottish team I've ever managed is Queen of the South). However, I've hat a soft spot for Spurs for 15 years or so and am currently managing Arsenal.

I'd definitely manage Man City, then I'll lose as many games as I can until I get fired, and then I'll just make another me (agent smith style!), takeover the fired me and lose as many games as I can before getting fired again! Keep at it until Man City go down as far as they can in tiers... Let's see how the sheikh like that! Rawr!

Of course I could. Oddly enough I can easily discern between reality and a football game, and if I manager Chelsea and Terry scores off a corner, I don't think '**** I hate that guy', because in the world of football manager, John Terry isn't a person, he's an entry in a database. Some of the members here really need to get out more.

Of course I could. Oddly enough I can easily discern between reality and a football game, and if I manager Chelsea and Terry scores off a corner, I don't think '**** I hate that guy', because in the world of football manager, John Terry isn't a person, he's an entry in a database. Some of the members here really need to get out more.

So I'm not the only one who sees it this way! Even when I was managing a rival, I was still ecstatic when we beat the team I actually support in derby matches. I haven't actually played the team I support since CM1 or 2 (can't remember which one).

I don't 'dislike' rivals as such, but still wouldn't manage them as I feel it would go against my loyalties. That however extends to 'in-game' rivals, either long-standing rivals of past clubs in a career, or rivalries I've developed personally (those that tend to be a recurring pain), so it's not a case of 'bringing real life into the game'.

No, can't bring myself to do it as a Liverpool fan I have never and will never play as Everton, Tranmere, Man Utd, Man City.

I can deal with managing the London clubs. Bar Crystal Palace, but that's to do Brighton and Hove.

I wouldn't manage Milwall or Real Madrid.

The other team I wouldn't bother with is Man City. I never accept bids from any of the 3.

I even went so far to take over as their manager when they were bidding for my players. Well I thought it was fair.

Basically, my player had a Minimum Fee Release Clause. But also had a Match Highest Earner clause.

I signed another player, so he got a wage increase. Then Real Madrid put in the Min Release clause.

I wasn't able to offer my player a contract now, as he had just accepted a contract. He ended up joining Real Madrid.

I reloaded the game and took over as Real Madrid manager and stuck the new manager on holiday indefinitely. He got sacked 2.5 seasons later.

That's how much I don't want to sell to any of those 3. Any other team, I would have been fine with it.

Our rivals are Sunderland, and that's just such a boring proposition.

Surely the only people who manage teams like Sunderland are their own fans?

Oh contraire! Managing Sunderland is mega-fun. Chairman pumps cash into the club. You can literally buy a world class team with 4 or 5 seasons.

The money train just keeps on rolling through.

No, I can barely tolerate to manage (for a while before moving on) Norwegian clubs I have nothing against, or clubs I even sort of like/respect... So the idea of managing Molde, Brann or VIF is completely out of question

Archived