+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you ever manage the rival of the team you support in real life?

First Team Squad Member

Default Would you ever manage the rival of the team you support in real life?

Simple question really how far do you take your real life dislike of teams? Would you ever manage your real life clubs biggest rival?

I doubt I would manage Newcastle but I would and have managed Middlesboro on an older FM.

Reserves

No, definitely not. I could possibly take managing Chelsea, but no way would I manage Arsenal or West Ham.

Amateur

No way in hell I'd ever manage the joke that is Pompey. Wouldn't manage Juventus either, being a Viola fan.

Banned

I could manage Chelsea, but not Spurs.
    I hate them and should see the Spurs thread

Amateur

i have looked at managing Everton but couldnt bring myself to do it as its like committing the worst sin ever.

Amateur

I'm a Palace supporter and our main rivals are Brighton, Millwall and Charlton. Probably would be able to manage Brighton or Charlton in a journeyman save, but would never ever manage Millwall. Hate them.

Third Team

Short answer? No.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by aderow View Post
    Short answer? No.
    Is there a longer answer?

Banned

I've managed Arsenal, so yes. Good save too. It's fun managing your rival, and I've enjoyed doing it with Arsenal and trying to succeed. It's just a game FFS.

Chelsea looks like a good save too.

Amateur

Nope, never managed Derby and never would. Have managed Leicester though.

Amateur

no, would never manage Real Madrid, maybe if I just make a joke save where I ruin them and sell all the players for 1 euro and put Ronaldo in goal etc lol

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    Is there a longer answer?
    I imagine the entire thing would be censored tbf.

Banned

This is a difficult one really. I support Manchester United and on FM2007 I was part of an online clan where I had to play as Manchester City, so I didn't really have a choice and i've played as them since, due to the fact the shame has already occured. Other than that I've managed Liverpool and put them into 100's of millions of debt, a very fun save

In short, I doubt I would have ever played as a rival properly if I hadn't been part of the online clan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by akaranzo View Post
    no, would never manage Real Madrid, maybe if I just make a joke save where I ruin them and sell all the players for 1 euro and put Ronaldo in goal etc lol
    Those are extremely fun saves if I do say so myself

Moderator and Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by aderow View Post
    Short answer? No.
    Longer answer: no, never.

Amateur

I am an LFC fan and would never/have never managed Everton and never will!! althought I am currently managing United on FM2008 although only because they are linked with the other team I'm doing Walsall!

Amateur

I have in the past, and was very successful too.

Amateur
    Lost... And also naked.. Do you know where i live?

Nah, Man Utd are scumbags and Barcelona are all actors.... That being the Leeds and Real Madrid fan in me, also would never manage the German's, the Argentines or Millwall.
    Last edited by FrazT; 22-05-2012 at 06:07. Reason: Unnecessary

Amateur

Never going to manage Ajax, even refuse to buy players of them, even though they got quite a few decent ones.

International Squad

Not a chance.

Amateur

Nope would never manager Derby, but i would manage Notts County and Mansfield.

Amateur

I know its just a game but to manage your rival's club and achieving success with them would be really awful

Amateur

As a Man United fan, I feel weird managing any other English club. I will only manage United or any team from any other country except England.

First Team Regular

I managed Everton as part of the Small Club to Big Club challenge.

Amateur

Eeek. Nope. Being a West Ham fan, that means no Millwall, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd. Takes away options in the Prem.

Third Team

no, i would never manage Man City (even though the ability to buy whoever you want is tasty) or loserpool

Banned

I definitely not

Amateur

My true club is Rangers, I've never managed Celtic since I first started playing back in the mid 90's (only other Scottish team I've ever managed is Queen of the South). However, I've hat a soft spot for Spurs for 15 years or so and am currently managing Arsenal.

Amateur

I'd definitely manage Man City, then I'll lose as many games as I can until I get fired, and then I'll just make another me (agent smith style!), takeover the fired me and lose as many games as I can before getting fired again! Keep at it until Man City go down as far as they can in tiers... Let's see how the sheikh like that! Rawr!

Amateur

Nope. Would never ever manage Mansfield. Always like to start a lower division game with the mighty Gladiators (Matlock) and love it when i get to division with Mansfield in :-D

Amateur

No, I couldn't manage Sheff Weds. It would make me feel all dirty inside!

I did for a little bit when Luton got that huge point deduction, to see if it was possible to keep them up. I can't remember what happened. I don't think I played a whole season

Amateur

I did manage Liverpool once in FM11, just so i could sell all their best stars and buy a heap of crap players on big salaries for 5 years.....then resigned

Semi Pro

I would never manage Inter or Juventus. But then again, i dont like managing topclubs.

Amateur

Of course I could. Oddly enough I can easily discern between reality and a football game, and if I manager Chelsea and Terry scores off a corner, I don't think '**** I hate that guy', because in the world of football manager, John Terry isn't a person, he's an entry in a database. Some of the members here really need to get out more.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Nocuous View Post
    Of course I could. Oddly enough I can easily discern between reality and a football game, and if I manager Chelsea and Terry scores off a corner, I don't think '**** I hate that guy', because in the world of football manager, John Terry isn't a person, he's an entry in a database. Some of the members here really need to get out more.
    So I'm not the only one who sees it this way! Even when I was managing a rival, I was still ecstatic when we beat the team I actually support in derby matches. I haven't actually played the team I support since CM1 or 2 (can't remember which one).

Amateur

Barnsley at a push, never Leeds or Bradford though.

Amateur

I support United and wouldn't dream of managing Man City, closest I would go for is probably Chelsea.

Amateur

I have tried to, I just can't get into the save. Also I don't like managing in the premiership anyway

Reserves

I don't 'dislike' rivals as such, but still wouldn't manage them as I feel it would go against my loyalties. That however extends to 'in-game' rivals, either long-standing rivals of past clubs in a career, or rivalries I've developed personally (those that tend to be a recurring pain), so it's not a case of 'bringing real life into the game'.

Third Team

Yes. It's just a game.

I do actually quite like leading Spurs to ruination.

Amateur

No, can't bring myself to do it as a Liverpool fan I have never and will never play as Everton, Tranmere, Man Utd, Man City.

I can deal with managing the London clubs. Bar Crystal Palace, but that's to do Brighton and Hove.

Youth Team

I wouldn't manage Milwall or Real Madrid.

The other team I wouldn't bother with is Man City. I never accept bids from any of the 3.

I even went so far to take over as their manager when they were bidding for my players. Well I thought it was fair.

Basically, my player had a Minimum Fee Release Clause. But also had a Match Highest Earner clause.

I signed another player, so he got a wage increase. Then Real Madrid put in the Min Release clause.

I wasn't able to offer my player a contract now, as he had just accepted a contract. He ended up joining Real Madrid.

I reloaded the game and took over as Real Madrid manager and stuck the new manager on holiday indefinitely. He got sacked 2.5 seasons later.

That's how much I don't want to sell to any of those 3. Any other team, I would have been fine with it.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

Our rivals are Sunderland, and that's just such a boring proposition.

Surely the only people who manage teams like Sunderland are their own fans?

Part-Timer

I don't think I could. It's bad enough wincing when I lose, if I had to wince every time I won as well FM would be pretty miserable.

Amateur

Nope, it pains me to see Derby do well, even in a game.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post

Oh contraire! Managing Sunderland is mega-fun. Chairman pumps cash into the club. You can literally buy a world class team with 4 or 5 seasons.

The money train just keeps on rolling through.

Youth Team

I they paid me enough, i'd consider it.

Youth Team

No, I can barely tolerate to manage (for a while before moving on) Norwegian clubs I have nothing against, or clubs I even sort of like/respect... So the idea of managing Molde, Brann or VIF is completely out of question

Part-Timer

No and always feel guilty when i buy a play who has played for the scum....i mean the ugly lot who call themselves Norwich

Amateur

Once in a hotseat game back when you could only either play the English or Scottish leagues. Both of us are Rangers supporters and tossed a coin to see how would get to be them, needless to say I lost and went Celtic. Ended up dominating and had mixed emotions.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Whippy View Post
    I they paid me enough, i'd consider it.
    why? you cant do a thing with the money you earn

I guess a reason could be that your favourite club sacked you, so you take your revenge by making their rivals big.

Third Team

I would do that any time. My choice of club is solely influenced by what I as a manager would deem a good career move, so I look at the potential, the expectations and the current team of a club when making a decision.

This way I have for instance often managed WBA, Wolves and Villa which irl would probably a really strange mix of clubs...

That being said, I actually kind of stay away from the clubs I support irl to some extent. Knowing a team that well makes the fm experience feel unrealistic, as does selling your rl favourite players because they are not performing good enough in the game.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

I just sold Tiote, Ba and Cabaye, which feels really weird.

But I also got a combined £35m for them, so I just couldn't turn it down.

Amateur

I couldn't manage Charlton, not in a million years. The thought of even celebrating a goal/win/promotion, even in a fictitious version of them is horrible.

Up The Gills!

Amateur

I've never managed or wanted to Manage Rangers, I don't even hire staff that have previously been at Rangers, would never buy any player who has ever played for Rangers! I wouldn't sell a player who played for a team I choose to manage just for that reason though. I've had Gatusso, Michael Ball and a few others in teams I've chosen to manage or teams I've taken over.

Amateur

In fairness, i'm a Sunderland supporter and up until my current save I couldn't manage them. I guess because when you manage the team you support, the will to win becomes amplified, and you take the defeats far more personally? At least for me it does anyway.

But to answer the original point; no. I wouldn't manage Newcastle.

Third Team

No. I like a challenge sometimes.

Amateur

As a United fan, I wouldn't manage any other PL team, nor Leeds. I have managed F.C. United of Manchester (am using them at the moment, actually), though. But that's stretching the word 'rivals' a lot.

Part-Timer

No. On a normal savegame there are hundreds of clubs I could manage, there is no need for me to choose to manage Ipswich. Why would I? Even if I there isn't an available job in England I can always find one abroad and have some fun (or curse) with the bizarre (or plain idiotic) rules in a different league system.

Amateur

United fan here. Never choose to manage United at the start, always try float around Europe and hope they offer me a job or my application is successful. Never is, eventually I get fed up and manage anytime in England. I have manager liverpool and chelsea with no issues.

Amateur

I wouldn't start in the club I dislike, but if an offer comes through later I'd definitely take a job.

Amateur

Short answer - NO WAY!

Chelsea or Sp*rs. Got nothing against their players (except Terry, Cole & Adebayor) but just can't do it. Tried with Spurs before but didn't care enough.

I started a journeyman save with the intent of getting the Inter job. I wanted to feel like I had earned it, and didn't want to manage the squad that Inter starts with (too familiar with them, plus many changes required). Managed Verona, Bologna, Cagliari, Ghana, and Serbia, and was offered... The Juventus job! It was just such a jump up in prestige and transfer budget and squad quality that I had to consider it. Ultimately the idea of a 30m transfer kitty when I had to make due with less than 3m up until then was too much to say no to. Still in charge some 20+ years later, and it is funny when I am happy that we have beat Inter, but hey, it was Inter's loss, Juve offered me the job at a time when Inter were successful, but since, Juve have become the top club in Europe, winning the last 5 Champions Leagues (no reloads either)!

I knew it was either or. I would never be able to go FROM Inter to Juve, or vice versa.

Amateur

Not a chance in hell I would manage City or Liverpool. When I do a save I need to get a buzz out of the team I'm managing, it just wouldn't happen managing these two. Plus I don't like them very much.

First Team Squad Member

Never. I've not even managed any other Scottish team before either.

Amateur

I'm a Bristol City fan and I have never managed the blue few. Never will. Sometimes get tempted to give Cardiff a go but always think better of it.

Youth Team

I would never do a save with Lazio, and I would probably find it difficult to play any Italian club other then the one I support, on the other hand I could see myself playing Real Sociedad at some point, but its not the same kind of rivalry and hatred

Semi Pro

Not a chance. The Newcastle job has come up a couple of times, and looked tempting, but I just couldn't imagine myself having the same will of wanting to do well. I've never even considered Sunderland, but that would almost certainly be a no too.

No - being a Gunner - no Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Stoke (or most English teams for that matter) and none of the teams that are rivals to my old local side Stevenage - so no Luton, Cambridge, Woking, Barnet

Part-Timer

I mainly support Athletic Club, Houston Dynamo, and Tottenham.

Wouldn't manage FC Dallas.

Wouldn't manage Real Madrid, but wouldn't have an issue managing any other Basque team (Athletic is friendly with most lower Basque teams and the Real Sociedad rivalry doesn't really involve a lot of anger or hatred).

I would have no big issues managing Arsenal- yeah, I'm a Spurs supporter but I do admire Arsene Wenger. Maybe it helps that I'm not English. I hate Chelsea and the Manchester clubs, though.

Amateur

No i would never manage sunderland, im always happy to see them crash and burn (but i do like having them in the prem for a guarenteed 6 points a season). I might manage middlesboro as to be honest ive always seen them as really weak rivals. But i couldnt bear too manage sunderland.

Amateur

Already managed Man Shi*ty

It's just a game.

Amateur

Can can't ever see myself managing Mexico City Victory, Mexico City Heart, or the Brisvegas Roar.

Amateur

I'd only manage Inter if I want to take them to Serie B.

Part-Timer

Liverpool fan here, and no way I would manage Manchester United.

Everton? Maybe. I'm not from Merseyside (or England :P ) so the local rivalry doesn't mean so much.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by lil ole me View Post
    I did manage Liverpool once in FM11, just so i could sell all their best stars and buy a heap of crap players on big salaries for 5 years.....then resigned
    Did you watch how they went in the league following that?

Amateur

In an older version before the board had as much influence as they do over transfers, I started out as manager of my own team, Sunderland but left after about ten seasons to take on a new challenge with Hartlepool. Got them to the brink of the Premier League when the Newcastle job came up. Took the job and ran the club into the ground, quite literally. Sold all their better players for as little as I could and replaced them with nobodies for mega transfer fees, long contracts and enormous salaries.

Needless to say I got sacked after my second relegation in successive seasons.

Played another Newcastle game in 2010, but that was mainly to test out some tactics and training regimes as much as anything else.

Would I do it again ... well as someone said above, only supporters of Sunderland would play their own club, well; to throw a question back to Newcastle fans what challenge is there in playing Newcastle in reality, probably about the same as playing Sunderland. There was another comment about managing Sunderland being boring, well if you have a strong dislike for a club, you are not going to give it 100% - but then again it is only a game and not reality.

Much prefer Lower League stuff anyway.

Norm

Amateur

I have (Sheffield Wednesday) and failed.. wasn't sure if i was happy with my record or not.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SabreJoe View Post
    Barnsley at a push, never Leeds or Bradford though.
    I love it when Huddersfield fans class us as a ''rival'' :L

Amateur

I would sooner burn my computer in a wheely bin than manage Celtic in Football Manager.

Amateur

I'm a Chelsea fan but I've managed Tottenham,Arsenal,Manchester United and West Ham.Although I managed all of those clubs on fm11 in a save in which I had managed 26 clubs... by 2016. I won everything with England though,so i kept getting jobs.)

Amateur

I could deal with managing Arsenal. Of course, I would fine players who score against Spurs

Amateur

I have managed Huddersfield (They are nothing to us)

Would never manage......... Beeston (L**Ds United) or Burnley (The Dingles)

Semi Pro

No absolutely not. Would rather manage an obsure African team.

Then again, I might be tempted to destroy Plymouth...

Amateur

On a journeyman save I managed Leeds because in real life if I was offered the job I'd take it if the Hull job wasn't available.

Other than that, hell no.

Reserves

I can't believe how much hatred there is in this thread

Just like real life, its only a game.

Part-Timer
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Yes, on FM09 I managed Liverpool for 5 seasons. Was very enjoyable

Semi Pro

Could possibly stretch to Man U or Sjoke, but absolutely not under any circumstances Man City or Burnley.

As for the rest - Oldham, Bury, Macclesfield, Rochdale etc, they aren't really our rivals, so yes.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by manunited4life123 View Post
    As a Man United fan, I feel weird managing any other English club. I will only manage United or any team from any other country except England.
    HAHA good one

I would never manage Man Utd or Everton. Same goes with Chelsea. Simply can't stand any of them.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DougyMarshall View Post
    I would sooner burn my computer in a wheely bin than manage Celtic in Football Manager.
    Couldn't agree more mate. Even when I'm managing in a different country it makes me cringe seeing them win games.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    I can't believe how much hatred there is in this thread

Just like real life, its only a game.
    Some of it might be hatred, but given the fact that in most circumstances in FM it only takes a maximum of 30 minutes to get offered another job there is rarely a need to take a job at a club you don't want to manage. Taking a job to activately destroy a club is a little dark, I wouldn't do it as I can be bothered to waste my time doing something so pointless (and given the way that non full detail leagues simulate results limits the damage a player can inflicit in a short time).

Amateur

I did idly speculate about what sort of challenge managing Luton would be given their recent woes, but I couldn't bring myself to actually do it.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ndebergerac View Post
    My true club is Rangers, I've never managed Celtic since I first started playing back in the mid 90's (only other Scottish team I've ever managed is Queen of the South). However, I've hat a soft spot for Spurs for 15 years or so and am currently managing Arsenal.
    I support rangers to i ciould never manage celtic i felt i let myself down in the game, when i joined rangers i won the league there first in 5 years then celtic obe the next. it left a sour taste even though its a game.

Semi Pro

Never. I reckon if I did I wouldn't be able to sleep and would need to constantly take showers to rid the disease.

I remember some charity thing ages ago, where you wear your rival teams top to raise funds for charity. Not a chance.
    Other clubs I like and support then no worries but not my true club.

Amateur

Only thing I'll never do: Play with River Plate or buying players who play or played for them.
    They just can burn in hell or in second division

Subs Bench

It's a game, I have no qualms about managing the my clubs rivals.

Amateur

I am a Manchester United fan, could see myself managing Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool but not Manchester City.

Amateur

As a Spurs fan, i would never in a million years mangage Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham. I could not bring myself to try to do well with them, it would be the least enjoyable thing I could do on it and a complete waste of time !

Amateur

Could never manage Hearts, hate them so much couldnt do it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast