Should I sell my star?

I am currently in my first season at a League 2 at the mid-season mark in first place by 5 points. Among the several regens that I am playing with, I have a Welsh international who has many attributes in high green and no red. His average rating is 8.87. His worth is listed as 1.5 million and I have received an offer around 3 million for him. I'm curious if I should a) sell, b) sell later when he is more valuable, c) keep him and deal w/ his disappointment. A coach comment says he "Appears likely to sign for the highest bidder." With two premiereship clubs as interests, I doubt I can compete!

I'm wondering what other people's experiences of selling star players for multiple millions while still in lower leagues has been. Has it enabled you to significantly improve the club? Did it affect your ability to improve the stadium or training facilities? Or did you just flat-out rue your decision to let a player go?

It depends on how long is contract is and how well your team is doing - some of my star players when I was managing Luton Town were desperate to leave when I was in league 1, but I had them down on long term contracts and three years later when I was competing in the Champions League I somehow managed to convince them to stay ;)

• SI Staff

Appears likely to sign for the highest bidder

This means he's a bit of a mercenary - so if you don't accept you better believe you'll be in a good place come his contract renewal or he might just walk on a bosman ....

Also how professional do you believe he is? - you already know he's greedy, if he's reasonably professional he'll keep playing to a decent standard, but if he isn't be might sulk in which case you'll be left on a sticky wicket.

Thanks, Marc, I didn't connect those two aspects. I rejected Villa's advances, he got upset (refused to negotiate), but has continued to play well (form of a 8-9-7). Here's hoping he comes round!

Archived