What's that? A new Wishlist Thread? What you would like to see in future FM versions.

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

Well after 81 pages of somewhat fantastic (and sadly some less so) ideas it's about time we had a bit of a refresh. So please feel free to post any idea (ideally with a brief description of how it'd work) which you'd like to see in the game.

Just to clarify a few things mind, at no point will we ever allow Manager's to spend their wages/invest into the club so I wouldn't suggest that one. Also if you've posted an idea in the old thread which you still think is relevant for the game feel free to re-raise it here. Although if I get 300 pages worth of copy and pastes it won't be ideal.

As always with these types of things we very much appreciate any feedback from the community. And do remember if you suggest an idea and it doesn't appear in the next version of Football Manager that doesn't mean it never will. We've already got a fair few ideas ourselves of things we'd like to see go in, but as with all things time can only be stretched so far.

For anyone looking to reminisce, the old thread can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/24018-Wishlist-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-versions-of-the-game.-All-list-ideas-in-here.

Many thanks,

Sports Interactive

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about an option in the holiday settings to automatically offer a contract extension to any member of your backroom team is approached by another club.

It's darn annoying when you use a 2-3 gap in games as an ideal opportunity to go on holiday so that you can do other things around the house only to find that when you return 3 of your coaching team have moved clubs.

What about adding potential second nationalities taking from player descent ?

Like Markus Barzenska - haves only German nationality but also have polish descent and polish national team manager - Smuda, goes for Energie match to watch him so he still can gain polish pasport and play for polish team. So in game a player whos choice polish national team can talk to him about "make" a polish passport and play for Poland

its been looks like that:

Nationality: German

Second nationality: none

Potential nationalities: Poland

That type of gaining players to national teams we see last time much times like Obraniak, Perquis, Koscielny (whos choice France) also we hear (in Poland) a lot about Enzo Kalinski and a lot more players.

This option is be a great opportunity for countries like Turkey, old Jugoslavia countries, Poland of course, lot of Africans countries, some Brazilians, Italians etc.

Having ball boys in the game so I don't have to watch players run around for the ball, maybe a page that shows you out of all your new signings/whole squad who had the highest shirt sales that season/all time

I'd like the Scouts page revamped.

Currently - you have to Assign a scout and add filters to the scouting. But you can't adjust it, there's no way to edit that filter, without removing the assignment and recreating a new one.

I'd also like areas that are already being covered by a scout changed to a different colour. Sometimes I have 18 scouts. And remembering if I put a scout in South East Asia is a bit difficult. If the areas already being scouted were changed to a different colour I'd instantly see that.

Also - when you filter the Scout Assignment, to say include 3star potential only - the Screen BLOCKS the part of the screen telling you what countries this scout is familiar with.

To be honest - the whole Scouting and Filtering Scout Reports is an unsightly GUI mess.

Players/Staff out of contract.

Please put "Offer Contract" beside each person/player that is running out of contract.

Also - at the moment I have to add a Note to a player or staff member I don't intend on keeping. Sometimes with 12 coaches it's difficult to remember which 3 of the 12 you intend to let go.

I would like to see the option of "Don't offer New Contract", for staff - like with players "Not needed by club".

I think I mentioned it in the old thread, but I'll mention it here as well.

Somehow a way to work in a total of your incoming/outgoing payments due to monthly transfer payments. Possibly on a monthly, 3 monthly, 6 monthly, etc basis. I'm not a fan of 48 month transfer payments, but a system like this might give you a quick way of potentially balancing the funding of a signing using your incoming payments to cover it.

The board should restrict how many 48 monthly payments you're allowed.

With a budget of €25m you can sign a whole new team to the value of €150-€200m (depending on low sales of fringe players)

Ok, how about providing a personal tactics settings function, which is used for saving a single player's player instructions for each player in your squad, so that we don't have to change or tweak slider by slider the player instructions in a tactics screen when a substitution is made, provided the player substituted on has a preset player instructions by us (the manager). And normally for example we can be allowed to configure 3 sets of player instructions for a player, because you might want the player to play in three different positions such as ST(his main position), AMC(second role) and AMR(third role). And imo the saves of these personal tactics instructions should bedesigned to function solely and uneffected, as it is a function similar to arranging a personal training schedule for each player, and the currently player instructions should be renamed and functioning as a positional instructions for each position in the tactics and the preset personal tactics instructions should override the positional instructions generally set in a tactics. The benefits would be that: the main tactics setting for the team can still work fine as it has always been now, and when a first team player is injured or banned, we switch him with a rotation player without need to touch the tactics setting because the rotation player already has his own preset personal tactics instructions, he doesn't need to care about the first team player's instructions, he just needs to focus on the team instructions and his own preset instructions, thus brings convenience to us human players as well, because i always find tweaking sliders (instructions) everytime changing or substituting a player is quite inconvenient and i may worry about losing or forgetting the last time tested good personal instructions set for the player.

For example, my team plays 4-4-2, in the team instructions i can set how want the team to play as a whole, and in the player instructions section I may set for Right Winger the instructions for him to do what normally a winger should do, like, run with ball often, cuting inside, cross normal, through ball normal, mentality attacking, run forward always, and everything works fine on the pitch becasue say the starter is C.Ronaldo that I assigned, and during the match, in second half, C.Ronaldo is injured and has to be substitued, then I tell D.Beckham to substitute on, so basically I don't have to tell Beckham in detail what he should do on the pitch after replacing C.Ronaldo. He should know already what he should do as I preset in his personal instructions which is well trained and excersised in daily training. So my preset instructions for Beckham is run with ball rarely, hug line, cross always, through ball always, mentality normal, run forward normal, and everyting still works fine after a substituted Beckham on.

This is what I want to have in the game relating to saving a tactics instructions for a single player, which makes it easier for us not needing to adjust player instructions everytime we substitute a player. And moreover, the preset instructions should be able to be combined with trainings, when C.Ronaldo is asked to run with ball often in a match, then in training schedule he should also have high amount of ball control training respectively. Hope you get what I mean and I understand currently with the new tactics section we can assign different duties and roles for a player and also for a player substituted on, but it still doesn't allow us to actually save the tweaked instructions for each at least first team players who play a lot of matches. Normally a club has 23-25 registered players for the league, and when in some not so important match, I want to send on all rotation or backup players to play the match, then you can think about how many clickings and dragings we need to do in the tactics section tweaking almost every 11 player instructions sets before we click 'Play' for the match to begin.

Please, please, please address the constant useless information that is spouted at team meetings:

1) Change player status from "rotation" to "back-up", from "key player" to "important member". Most of these recommendations are very minor, but all are potentially damaging to player/manager relationships. No upside to this feature! Always better to absolutely ignore, but would be great if you took it away completely.

2) Complaints about "too much training". OK, but please include a button that says "request coach to sort this out". As it is I'm constantly going into the players' personal training schedules and having to muck around with the sliders. For goodness sake, the coaches should do these micro-training adjustments, not the manager.

BTW, I still really love this game!

I'd like to add on to the scout page revamp post that, though I don't really know how real life scout work, in the scout report, the scout doesn't need to list so many players for us to see. A scout moves around a country watching matches or trainings, he will only file a report for a single player and recommend to his manager after he thinks the player is somewhat interesting or providing catching-eyes performances. So the other players he doesn't have insterest and time to even file a report on and thus we should not see in the scout report lists. And also for those already well-known players, the scout doesn't need scout any more, such as Wayne Rooney. We don't see any scouts scouting rooney or messi, right?

I think player agents need to be more active when trying to find a player you do not want anymore a new club as they don't seem to put much effort into this.

Also it can be difficult to sell a player when he is no longer wanted as clubs aren't interested as they can't afford his current wages. Take man utd for example. Brown, gibson, oshea, phil nevile all took pay cuts to move to clubs so they would get regular first team football.

Tactics

I still love classic tactics, but I do like the way the TC tactics are set up and how the shouts work. The problem I have is that it is almost forcing you to play within SI way of playing the game.

What I am proposing is for us to be able to set up shouts and tactical systems in the same manner as the TC.

For example. The TC has 5 strategies and when changed the tactcical settings are automtically adjusted, these amounts are preset by SI. These same settings/options should be available for the classic tactics users, where instead of the automatic changes we specify the individual strategies. Basically it is a more convenient way of saving say 3 or 4 tactics (which is what most classic tactics creators will have). These should all be saved under 1 tactic and available via shouts just as the TC strategies are. So when we change to an attcking stategy via a shout it is basically loading a saved tactic.

Going a step further we should be able to set up our own shouts. Just like the TC tactics but instead of SI determining what values these shouts change we should be able to tailor them to our own unique needs. We could possibly even link them or set up a macro. So I could set up a shout that pushed my defensive line up by 7 clicks, but drops my DCs Mentality to say 5.

This sort of flexibility would be brilliant, Im sure im not alone when I consistantly find myslef make the same sort of changes when certain scenarios appear. A shout for these scenarios would be brilliant.

I know it can all be done under the normal tactical view, but I think it would be a good way of streamlining the tactical set up, especially for us classic users. At the very minimum, something as simple as a keyboard shortcut to load a pre defined tactic would also be massively helpful.

As good as the TC is, I just hope us Classic users dont get left behind!

Reserves/u19

We need to be allowed to pick these sides again.

Holiday Mode

Allow us to 'tag' certain clubs. So if a vacancy comes available either the game stops or the job is automatically apllied for. The ammount of interesting jobs I have missed out on is mental.

Cosmetic

- Allow an in-game 'editor' where we can change our kits every season.

- A 'virtual' trophy room

- Players celebrating and lifting the trophy in the 3d view

Please, please, please address the constant useless information that is spouted at team meetings:

1) Change player status from "rotation" to "back-up", from "key player" to "important member". Most of these recommendations are very minor, but all are potentially damaging to player/manager relationships. No upside to this feature! Always better to absolutely ignore, but would be great if you took it away completely.

Absolutely - if you're going to make a player complain about being moved from "Key" to "Important" and then potentially ask for a transfer request after a bad meeting. I'd also like to see a player respond with a comment "delighted his manager sees him in first team plans"

But in NO WAY should there be a "Change Status" button right there on the screen.

It's far to easy to accidentally click. That button should go to the Player Team Status - where you can then select what role you want for them - or even a pop up window, select the role, window pops down (you have this already in the Scout screen when you go to Filter)

It's just terrible UI in the Team Meetings.

2) Complaints about "too much training". OK, but please include a button that says "request coach to sort this out". As it is I'm constantly going into the players' personal training schedules and having to muck around with the sliders. For goodness sake, the coaches should do these micro-training adjustments, not the manager.

BTW, I still really love this game!

I wish this was just removed from the game. It serves no purpose.

I never make a change on this and it makes NO difference whatsoever. Pointless.

I'd like to add on to the scout page revamp post that, though I don't really know how real life scout work, in the scout report, the scout doesn't need to list so many players for us to see. A scout moves around a country watching matches or trainings, he will only file a report for a single player and recommend to his manager after he thinks the player is somewhat interesting or providing catching-eyes performances. So the other players he doesn't have insterest and time to even file a report on and thus we should not see in the scout report lists. And also for those already well-known players, the scout doesn't need scout any more, such as Wayne Rooney. We don't see any scouts scouting rooney or messi, right?

There's a myriad of problems with the Scouting feature. And this is another example.

There are WAY too many scout reports generated.

18 scouts = potentially 30,000 scout reports for me.

Scouts need only report on the "eye-catching" performances.

Scouting is a mess to be honest. And the UI to do with Scouts needs a complete overhaul.

I think player agents need to be more active when trying to find a player you do not want anymore a new club as they don't seem to put much effort into this.

Had Robert Snodgrass on loan now for 5 seasons. Not a single bid for him. Despite never playing in the Prem League side and NEVER playing for the club in 5 years, he's been on loan and playing well.

NOBODY will bid for him.

Definitely needs improving when you mark a player as unwanted, their acceptance to clubs of lower reputation should be much higher.

Wonder if people would be open to some sort of Tablet Expansion pack?

I'm thinking, during game play, and you launch your FM 2013 application. It sinks over wifi or by usb to your game.

You then get a tactics screen, where you can move players, sub players etc. change formation.

You'd also be able to adjust tempo, change player roles/duties and a few other things.

You could touch a player and use a "personal shout" "cross ball at byline" this sets their individual crossing to the byline.

It's just an idea. You could buy a little expansion app that gives you a full range of controls during the match. It could be something very optional, if you have a smartphone or tablet.

Tactics

I still love classic tactics, but I do like the way the TC tactics are set up and how the shouts work. The problem I have is that it is almost forcing you to play within SI way of playing the game.

What I am proposing is for us to be able to set up shouts and tactical systems in the same manner as the TC.

For example. The TC has 5 strategies and when changed the tactcical settings are automtically adjusted, these amounts are preset by SI. These same settings/options should be available for the classic tactics users, where instead of the automatic changes we specify the individual strategies. Basically it is a more convenient way of saving say 3 or 4 tactics (which is what most classic tactics creators will have). These should all be saved under 1 tactic and available via shouts just as the TC strategies are. So when we change to an attcking stategy via a shout it is basically loading a saved tactic.

Going a step further we should be able to set up our own shouts. Just like the TC tactics but instead of SI determining what values these shouts change we should be able to tailor them to our own unique needs. We could possibly even link them or set up a macro. So I could set up a shout that pushed my defensive line up by 7 clicks, but drops my DCs Mentality to say 5.

This sort of flexibility would be brilliant, Im sure im not alone when I consistantly find myslef make the same sort of changes when certain scenarios appear. A shout for these scenarios would be brilliant.

I know it can all be done under the normal tactical view, but I think it would be a good way of streamlining the tactical set up, especially for us classic users. At the very minimum, something as simple as a keyboard shortcut to load a pre defined tactic would also be massively helpful.

As good as the TC is, I just hope us Classic users dont get left behind!

Reserves/u19

We need to be allowed to pick these sides again.

Holiday Mode

Allow us to 'tag' certain clubs. So if a vacancy comes available either the game stops or the job is automatically apllied for. The ammount of interesting jobs I have missed out on is mental.

Cosmetic

- Allow an in-game 'editor' where we can change our kits every season.

- A 'virtual' trophy room

- Players celebrating and lifting the trophy in the 3d view

Nice. I thought about that too. Say, I shout, everyone drops their closing down by 5 clicks and mentality drops by 3 clicks. Ha!

1. Coaching courses. How should it work: I have a coach with Attacking ability 12. Once a year there is a course somewhere in the world. I send him and pay 500k pounds for this. He returnes after a week and his Attacking ability is 13 or remains 12 (depends on his professionalism and character). If the startinf ability is less than 12 - the price should be smaller (400k for example). I think you understand the idea.

2. New questions/answers in all interactions

3. New goal celebrations

4. Better 3D Engine (too many chances of NOT scoring when hitting the woodwork, defenders of world class sometimes don't perform the "Press more")

5. New leagues (at last!). What's the problem? You don't even have to do massive research, players are already in the db, just make the transfers for the teams and that's all.

6. The "Green injury" problem. A player gets a knock and info "Make sub - Keep him on the pitch". I press "Keep on" but after 2-3 seconds I receive that he can't continue and the Tactics screen appears for me to make a sub. Find a way to make this moment more comfortable please.

7. Better transfers by AI. I am from Ukraine. I played in FM for 2 seasons (all leagues loaded and 300000 players) - I saw that Dynamo Kyiv and Shakhtar Donetsk did not buy a single player for 2 full seasons! Shocking... There's also a problem with signing good players in Ukraine and Russia - teams who play in CL and EL (Shakhtar, Dynamo, Zenith, CSKA Moscow etc) often sell/loan good players and if they buy someone - he is s*it for the first team... I d'know, maybe you should try and make their reputation higher or what... This is a problem.

8. Remaking the training. This is an idea that is not possible to be in FM13 (I think). What have we now - default training "programs" for players (Defenders, Midfielders, Attackers etc) and a tool to create our own training programs. Good but not enough. I want to see day-to-day training programs. Sunday - physics, athletisism. Monday - tactics, technigue. Tuesday - defending, defensive positioning, Wednesday - Set pieces. Thursday - Watching opposition's matches to see their weaknesses. You get me, right? This is more like IRL, but I understand that this is really hard to make in FM.

More to come from me...

Next one, is regens. I currently find the regens with fm2012 are generally allocated with low creativity and flair but easily regened with high corner, crossing, free kick or penalty. And those whose preferred feet are either feet are usually regened with low PA and have DM/DC as their position. And team work is always not good enough for MC/DMC/DC but several times I see regened ST with very high teamwork. And having managed in a Portugese club for more than 4 years I don't get any good youth wingers. This area should be improved.

Please, please, please, please, please either delete the media interaction or make it more realistic. There are so many questions that don't have suitable answers and being repetitively asked the same things over and over is just plain annoying. Either revamp it so it's not long an annoying chore or otherwise delete it.

I'd also like to see the staff meetings sorted out. As a manager I really don't want to have to listen to complaints over and over again about players who want slightly more or less training. This is the job of the coaches, not the manager. Also don't want coaches continually telling me to un-list players and change my tactics. It's annoying and best removed.

Been a stat fanatic i have a lot of widgets up during the match, so this suggestion in another thread By Eugene Tyson would be great.

They could fix this really easily.

Simply let you set up the Widgets where you want. Then the TAB key or something to hide them all automatically.

Hit the key again and they come back up again.

I think that TV View should be inverted slightly IF a user wants to add widgets to the screen - so that they don't block any view f the match. How about a fully customizable "tv screen" window' date=' so we can adjust the size according to how many widgets we have open.[/quote']
Been a stat fanatic i have a lot of widgets up during the match, so this suggestion in another thread By Eugene Tyson would be great.
They could fix this really easily.

Simply let you set up the Widgets where you want. Then the TAB key or something to hide them all automatically.

Hit the key again and they come back up again.

Yeh the other idea was to let you choose an opacity for the widgets - and when you roll over a widget it comes to full opacity.

That way you could set it 5% and still see the whole screen. or Set it to 0% and a mouse over pops up the widget.

Few things I'd like to see -

1. Complete overhaul of scouting. Rip it up and start again.

2. Complete overhaul of training, only being able to train GK, Defending, Attacking, Tactics and Set Pieces is a bit rubbish IMO. There could be a whole host of training routines and you could pick and drop segments you felt (or were told by a coach) you needed/didn't need). sprints, jogs, weights, keep-ball, 2-touch game, 5-a-side, training match, shadow match etc, each with plus and minus points for attributes and morale.

3. More interaction with your chairman. Meetings where you have to explain your recent form and signings, some chairmen could thrust unwanted new signings upon you Abramovich style?

4. Transfers - At the top level the manager simply doesn't negotiate the wage/signing on fee anymore, maybe you could submit a request for say, a left-back and an advanced playmaker with a list of potential targets for each posoition and then the club does it's best to secure your preferred targets?

5. As I was typing that last point I thought of having a Director of Football at some clubs, working in tandem with you, you would have a relationship with him, good/bad/working and even have a power struggle and demand to the chairman he goes?!

6. Interview with chairman/directors when moving to a new club, outline your playing style, targets, funds you'd require to reach those targets and the chairman would have his demands like, promote from youth, champions league football or service a massive debt.

1. - agree

2. - agree - this could enhanced with "training days" where you want to say work with wingers against defenders. Say your pacy striker against your defenders. You might be up against some fast strikers in your next game. And testing how high up the pitch you can push without it becoming a risk - with the pace of the attacker.

Or simply work on a wingers crossing. They could have "training stats" so if someone performs badly in training you might think twice about playing them. You might have a player having a good training month and decide, "I'll give him a shot he's working hard".

3- That unwanted players thrust on you was a feature a few versions ago. I'd hate the conversation with the Chairmen, simply because it would the same dribble every single time, the lack of imaginiation in the conversations with the media is already tedious.

4 - Like

5 - DoF would be welcomed. It has been brought up before. And some people would prefer it as an "option". But I think that if you go to a club, they might have a DoF already, and there's nothing you can do about it. Other clubs won't have one, and you could request the board get one - but they might refuse too. It would add another element of the game. Having to deal with meddling Chairmen and a dodgy DoF. Or you could have a mix of nice chairman and dodgy Dof or vice versa.

2. - agree - this could enhanced with "training days" where you want to say work with wingers against defenders. Say your pacy striker against your defenders. You might be up against some fast strikers in your next game. And testing how high up the pitch you can push without it becoming a risk - with the pace of the attacker.

I would also like Training Days to include setting up 30 minute 5-aside matches

I would like to post this which was posted in another thread. Think the poster sums up the feeder club problem, which needs to be fixed.

In my opinion it is much too difficult getting feeder clubs in FM12.

After all, most of the big clubs around the world have several, if not a dozen, feeder clubs of different types. However, taking Bradford to the top, I have only one club as a feeder; Morton in the Scottish first division. All attempts have failed since then. I requested a loan feeder club and they actually came up with a few alternatives, but they were all non-league teams, aka completely worthless to me since the club is now one of the best in the world. I need a club in The Championship or equivalent, but all attempts to form such links have failed.

So the question to SI is: why give me the option to request feeder clubs when it is obvious that the chance of actually forming a link is close to zero? Just grey the damn thing out until the board actually have real options. It would be even better to request a loan feeder club in specific leagues chosen from a list, and have the board return to me with options once they have found clubs who want to join up. If this takes years that is fine - just don't give us the hope of forming a useful link and then return with the stupid "couldn't form a link" message and then repeat that process indefinitely. In other words; if the board say you CAN form a link with a feeder club, you WILL form a link - but it may take time to do so in the requested leagues.

I've often requested feeder clubs and the club come back with ZERO options.

It's ridiculous. I even loaded up the China and Japan leagues and still nothing.

Surely there's market in China, USA, Japan, South Africa or somewhere for 2 times German division champions and 2 time Champions League winner?

Like the ideas about training stats and more involvement with training activities but understand in the meantime the difficulties in applying them, as once in older version the training had 5-aside training sections and jogging and the like etc. But I was wondering then, if several first team players are away on international calls and some of the players are injured and you only have 7 players left, so i wonder how they can perform a 5-aside training. So of course we'd like training be revamped with more insight details but I personally really don't come up with an actual arrangement to actualize the purpose in training section.

Like the ideas about training stats and more involvement with training activities but understand in the meantime the difficulties in applying them, as once in older version the training had 5-aside training sections and jogging and the like etc. But I was wondering then, if several first team players are away on international calls and some of the players are injured and you only have 7 players left, so i wonder how they can perform a 5-aside training. So of course we'd like training be revamped with more insight details but I personally really don't come up with an actual arrangement to actualize the purpose in training section.

I disagree. You simply don't arrange a five-aside friendly.

I'd have one coming up to champions league match against say Barcelona. I'd put my most creative player, with pace, etc. basically someone with similar abilities to say Messi.

I could then put him up against defenders. I could try different combinations to see which was more effective in stopping that style of play. Then I'd have an informed decision on a tactic and players to play in that combination for that tactic for that day.

I might like to try "Zonal vs Man Marking" or "stand-off" or "press more" or "push higher up"

I could do this a few weeks before a game. Or if your main defenders are suspended/injured, at least you could try some players out together on the pitch in simulated training match to have that informed decision going into the game.

You could also do it for any other game, higher or lower level.

Again, it would be an option to skip that 5-aside game by simply not asking for one.

And I'd like to see "training stats" not just their improvement in their stats. But real stats on their performance in training.

Some players hit a dip in form in training and some players train well some weeks and not others.

Nowhere in the game is this reflected. I pick the same team for 99% of games. But in reality - you'd be looking at how the training is going. Lots of players IRL have been dropped for a game or two because of bad performances on the training pitch.

But training seems to have little or no effect on the players ability on the pitch on match day.

About 'training stats' I understand you right. Maybe I did't put it clear with my previous words, well, wait a minute, ok, I see.I just re-read your reply while writing this reply and I get what you mean.

I'd love the ability for any custom views I created to be included within my save game and also the ability to export to a file so I can import into my FM installed on my other computer (save games sync'd via dropbox) without having to reconfigure every time I either start up a new game, or play on my work laptop/other computer

I'd like to see more personality from the regens. I know you couldn't have real players being caught up in a roasting scandal but it'd bring a bit of excitment if the regens were ending up in the papers for mis-behaving. It's not as if real life footballers aren't in the paper on a weekly basis for brawling etc..

I'd like it if staff members would ask to have a conversation with you when they are offered a contract by another team. Such as Assistant Manager X has been offered a contract by team Y, he would like to discuss his possible options with you. Give you a bit more warning as the messages can be easily missed, especially at the start of a season, plus would make a bit more sense, especially if they listed you as a favoured staff member.

Also I wouldn't mind getting assistant reports from players out on loan presented to you in a similar way to international player reviews. Just to streamline your newsfeed a little bit more and make you less likley to miss out on any info you need.

Hopefully they come across as decent ideas at least

One thing I'd love to see is, when you leave a club after managing them for a long period (say a minimum of 10 years), you have the chance to recommend to the board who your replacement should be.

We've all had those saves when you take over a lower/non-league club and build them up through the divisions and really raise their profile and it would be a nice touch to be able to say to the board "I think X would be the perfect replacement for me", whether you recommend a current member of staff or a manager from another club. Obviously it would entirely up to the board whether or not they would take your advice on board.

I know I was one of the last to post in the old thread but I might as well mention them here along with some other ideas.

Game/Match Engine/General:

Ball boys to cut down on the time wasted getting the ball from out of play for set piece, which is especially painful at corners. Allow the player to train them to retrieve the ball quicker/slower for slight tactical advantages (such as allowing a quick throw in).

A quick results option that skips to the end result, stopping for half time, injuries, and sendings off.

Staff:

A staff shortlist - pretty much as it sounds.

Staff training - send your staff on training courses to improve certain stats... to an extent. Cost increases based on their existing level of proficiency. 1-->2 would cost nothing, 19-->20 would cost more!

Greater staff loyalty, yet also make it more difficult to retain staff who are considering an outside offer.

More explanation of why certain staff might not want a new contract. Sometimes they don't seem to be interested for no discenable reason, and the feedback given is poor even when there is a reason (a retiring staff member says "I'm not interested" instead of say "I'm retiring on DATE and will not be negotiating a new contract).

Increase the chance that managers can tempt staff back into a certain position if the offer is good enough. If an assistant manager receives an offer of 10x his current salary to become a first team coach at a world class club (a role he already has a preference for) then he should strongly consider it instead of rejecting it seemingly 100% of the time.

Increase the variation in retiring players' staff attributes. If I recall correctly they all start with something like 130CA?

An option to allow the assistant manager to renew staff contracts when they're going to expire or someone makes a bid for them.

Tactics

Allow managers to choose who takes direct free kicks.

Allow managers to refuse to allow players on their hat-tricks from taking penalties.

Player Contracts

The option to permanently lock out options from a contract, such as telling them that no you will never give a "match highest earner" clause.

Additional bonuses such as an assists bonus, a man of the match bonus, etc.

Change the demands of players based on your team's reputation. For example if you develop a reputation for say never offering a certain bonus then they don't bother asking for it.

More interaction with a player if talks aren't working through private chat such as "your agent demanded too high a fee", "your bonus demands were too excessive", "if you want to remain at this club then you will have to lower your demands".

Training

Much like how you can choose to train players in a specific aspect of the game, the option to tell players not to focus on a few aspects of their game would be an interesting addition, to allow distribution of those points elsewhere. The success of this would be based on the player's relationship with the manager, their mental stats, the manager's reputation and so on. Also this could only be done for a few categories at a time to avoid making it too easy to get the 'perfect' player.

Similarly allow players who can play in multiple positions to untrain positions to focus on other aspects of their game.

Youth Players

Change the system so that regen players have less rating in their positions when they start the game and make them more moldable. For example a youth striker might start off with say a striker rating of 8/20, and only by regularly having him play in this position will it increase and get locked in. However, if a striker actually shows stats more suited for say, a midfielder, then you could have him play in that position and the striker rating would decrease.

The system would also need to be changed so you could tell your youth team manager to play a player in a certain position (see below for more on this).

The idea is that very few players at this stage in their career will know exactly what position they play in.

Player interaction

More interaction with players (either in private, or through the press) to tempt them to come to your club. For example you could tempt a player with regular first team football, the chance to play with some of the greatest players in the world (if you have them), the chance to train at world class facilities, a much higher wage, trophies etc.

Allow the manager to reprimand players for say picking up needless yellow cards, unsporting behaviour, etc. Current options can be quite limited, and discipline only tends to come up with red cards.

Allow a manager to suggest a player fire their agent for being overly demanding. Perhaps if you build up a really good relationship with a player then they'll deal with you personally instead of through an agent demanding a 4M fee?

Team interaction

Team talks need to be greatly improved to allow managers more control over the tone as at the moment the outcome can feel very random. The ability to make certain demands of the team, for example telling them "I expect you to act like professionals", "I expect hard work from my players and if you can't be bothered then you're out" or "I do not tolerate unsporting behaviour at my club" to allow some molding of a team's general personality. How successful this is depends on the manager's reputation, the team's personality, and their relationship with you.

Assistant Manager/Reserve Team/Youth Team Instructions

Used for holiday mode as well as reserve and youth matches, this would allow you to give more flexibility over the tactics used when you're not in control. For example on holiday mode I could tell my assistant to rotate certain players in, prioritise certain matches/competitions, tell them to pick a certain player or play someone in a specific position, etc.

This is really more for long term players where you might not want to play every single game but still want more control over certain things than you currently get, short of taking full control.

Board Interaction

Allow managers to ask for an increase in staff wages, for example to allow you to develop youth players better, or to increase the quality of training. There have been times where I could have hired world class staff if they'd losen the restrictions a little!

Remove the 1 topic per day rule. It makes no sense that I can't ask for all staff limits to be raised, or to expand both training and youth facilities on the same day.

More feedback on when you can bring up a topic again such as "The board will not consider a new feeder club for the next 3 months / until the end of the reason", or "The board will not consider increasing our youth recruitment network with our current bank balance / this season".

Allow the manager more control over their demands on what increases to facilities and staff are made. If I have a very large amount of money in the bank then allow me to ask to update the facilities or youth recruitment to world class instead of having to wait years to increase it gradually. Allow me to ask to hire say 5 more scouts.

More choice in feeder clubs, such as being able to ask the board for a club in a certain division and/or nation.

Allow managers to ask for specific stadium improvements such as undersoil heating, a roof, improving the capacity by X thousand seats.

Bring back the option to improve corporate facilities. It seems to have disappeared in FM12 but was there in earlier versions.

Allow managers some choice over the naming of a new stadium.

Allow managers to ask for lower expectations for a year or two when you need to completely restructure the squad.

Finances

Improve the modeling of sponsorships. As it stands the rate of increase can be extremely slow. You can the biggest club in the world yet rake in a pathetic level of sponsorship money.

Allow managers to suggest that loans are paid off when you have sufficient funds.

Managers

Allow managers to announce their resignation/retirement for a certain date, and to accept job offers at a certain date such as at the end of the season. Also allow managers to give a reason - perhaps at a press conference - such as "The board refused to do X/Y/Z", "By winning the World Cup I've achieved my goals with international management".

More reaction from the footballing world when a renowned manager leaves a post, or achieves a certain landmark. What about if there was a testimonial game for my 10th year at a club? What if fans got really angry with the board for not doing more to keep me? What if players were really dissapointed and unhappy that I left?

As it stands there hardly seems to be any reaction.

News & Inbox

Being able to increase the limit on how many items remain in your news from 225 would be a very welcome option. Possibly make it an option in the Preferences section?

The work on merging certain items in FM12 was very welcome but needs to be continued. Transfers - especially at the start of a window - are a very good candidate, as are scouting reports.

Press Conferences

These need dramatic improvement to say the least.

How about refusing to attend them and picking up fines from the governing body.

Scouting

Allow managers to permanently assign their staff to specific nation(s) instead of constantly having to restart the assignment.

Also allow managers to have more control over which competitions/countries are scouted. Perhaps I want my staff to roam through the big leagues, or I want him to watch the bottom Italian leagues.

Give staff knowledge of a nation when scouting a competition based there. At present this only increases when assigned to a nation.

Administration & Debt

This needs to be a much bigger deal than it currently is. Wage slashing, selling players cheaply, a real risk of panic. It's a huge deal in real life, but in FM it doesn't mean too much.

Transfers

More realistic behaviour from the AI, and less cheating. I've had a case where my 20M bid was rejected but the next day the AI offered 8M which was accepted, then my new 8M bid was accepted. Make value more realistic and have greater meaning.

1. Better interaction between managers, i.e. instead of always "has no opinion", "has a poor opinion" or "feel you could become friends" how about adding "you are good friends" or "depsises you and would not wish to do business with you" as I believe Mark Hughes had with fulham lately?

2. These relationships should have an impact on transfer and loans, such as if the other manager dislikes you then its difficult to come to an agreement but if you get on well then you may get discount

3. As ive seen in FM handheld, when you tell a player that they have to wait for their turn in the first team, the fans give their opinion, as do the board. this should be brought into the PC version. This should be part of the player interaction tab.

4. The possibility of buying a player and loaning them back to the club youve bought them from for the rest of the season would be greatly received I think.

5. Watching the players run to get the ball during a 3D match is frustrating and a waste of time. Ball boys would be great.

6. More on player interaction - I would like to tell a player that they have been doing WELL in training and that they will get their chance in the first time soon, or next game etc, as I am SURE managers dont just tell their players how crap they are!

7. Being able to send coaches to seminars/evening classes so they can improve their abilities. As an example: I am playing for Arsenal. I want to send my assistant manager or coach to a tactical seminar. The seminar will cost the club 100k pounds. The higher ambition and/or determination and/or professionalism - the higher is the chance that my coach will have a "+2 increase" to the tactical training. We can build a scale, so that money needed to be spent will vary. Say, if the coach has Tactical Coaching 10 - the seminar will cost 50k. If Tactical Coaching is 15 - the seminar will cost 500k.

8. Adding in a press interview after you have resigned or been sacked from a job. Outlining why you quit, or your view on why you were sacked with the aim of bigging yourself up for your next job.

9. Feeder teams need to be sorted. Doesnt matter which team I am playing as, I have not had ONE successful request in regard to this and its ruining my enjoyment.

10. Champions league / europa league qualification should make a difference to the quality of players that you can attract!

11. specific stadium requests such as improve capacity by XXX number of seats, or add a roof etc

Tactically, two things I'd like to see:

- An individual width setting for players. Yes, there's a team width setting, but there should be a more intuitive way of adjusting the width of the players relative to each other. As it is, there are only three possible places a player can be: C, CL/CR, or L/R, which strikes me as incredibly rigid. Sometimes I want my wingers to tuck in and have the fullbacks play wider, or sometimes when passing down the flanks I want my central players to play slightly wider so that my wide players don't get isolated - as of now there's no direct way to do that.

- More situational tactical instructions. For example: I want to have my defenders push up, but have them come short from goal kicks to receive the ball. I want a midfielder to have an attacking mentality, but run into his own box when not in possession, closing down instructions be damned. I want to be able to tell my defenders: mark loosely, but mark tightly when in the box. Stuff like that.

At the moment, I'm Nottingham Forest. They're in League 2 having had some financial difficulties. One of my best players is Lee Camp and he's coming towards the end of his contract. At 32, he's willing to lower his wages from £3.9k a week to about £1k a week. Admittedly, in real life he may not be willing to do this when other clubs are interested in him. But he does love the club. But due to me being over the wage budget, I can't afford to reduce his wages and reduce the wage bill in turn. I think the board would snap your hand off if they had a chance to reduce the wage bill when in financial difficulty.

I don't have any idea on how it could be improved, but I do feel that it could be improved.

Oh yeah! The board should be a little more intelligent when determining player wages. At the end of a season when I'm slightly over the wage bill, I look over the players with expiring contracts and decide who I want to go and who I want to stay. The problem is, the board won't let me offer decent wages because I'm still currently over the wage limit, even though I know that in less than a month we'll be rid of deadwood and paying much less in wages. Maybe implement a way to tell the board that you won't be renewing the contracts of certain players so that they take that into account when allotting how much you can offer to the players who actually matter.

When players come to you because they want first-team football, we need options to say:

1. I told you when you signed you were a backup, be patient

2. The team is playing really well at the moment, you'll have to wait for your chance

Apart from fixing the essential issues like AI squad building & player development, improved ME defending, and the major bugs (add/remove leagues feature etc)... all of which have very indepth posts on on their own, the following may be good additions (or maybe not! :lol:)

UI Improvement:

• Button on the calendar that will list all fixtures being played that day. This will save a lot of clicks for those who like watching matches in other leagues and nations, or scouting via 3D.

• Improved 3D match screen so its not cluttered with widget panels. A good idea mentioned recently was to have the TAB key make them all dissapear and reappear when pressed.

New features:

• 3D stadium editor - you know you'll be adding it one day, it may as well be sooner rather than later ;)
  • Optional 'fog-of-war'. Currently we are given far too much information at a glance and in an instant on virtually any player we click on. An option in preferences to hide all visible attributes or a partial revealing of attribute ranges followed by a narrowing down of their accuracy the more we scout or watch a player play would add some challenge for those of us who seek it. Modifying skins year after year is getting boring and is only a crude fix for this, plus we can only have one extreme or the other - either full visible attributes or no visible attributes at all. A better middle-ground would be welcome.
  • Human Manager History - either randomly generated or custom made. Give human managers a history of who they played for, when, and what they achieved as a player. I actually do this myself, usually my first save is a sort of 'player-manager' game where I create my manager avatar as a 16 year old player and follow his career - building up a 20 season history complete with stats etc, then retire and become a manager (often for a team he played for). An option to randomly generate something like this would be welcome though and would remove the unreal sense of a Mr. Nobody walking into the Bacelona job. All optional of course.

Editor Improvement:

• The ability to mass edit EVERYTHING in the database. Currently we can only mass edit certain things. Some things like creating youth teams and B teams, editing kit colours, clearing team rosters etc have to be done on a one by one basis and can take hours or days for editors to complete.
  • More features in the editor that will allow us to tailor the games "difficulty" i.e. things like the impact of morale, fitness, newgen quality, AI transfer aggressiveness. Basically anything that allows the user to tweak some of the inner workings so they can make their databases as hard or as easy as allowable. Fifa Manager allows modders to edit certain parameter files that do this, FM should too imho. No need for skill levels if the playerbase is given the tools to tailor their game difficulty to their own needs!
  • Full modifiable Play Offs, complete with venue selection for the final. As far as I know currently we can only implement the old 1990's style play offs in custom DB's.

Cosmetic changes:

• To keep the match flowing and to cut out the long pauses in action, the 3D match needs ball boys. Also injured players should go off the pitch closest to were they got injured, and the referee should approach players he's booking instead of waiting for the offending player to walk half a mile at Balotelli walking pace to recieve their punishment.
  • Improved match experience - specifically proper end of match player celebrations on the pitch when your team has beaten a fierce rival in a derby match, or clinched the league title, or avoided relegation, or knocked a much higher rep team out of a cup. End of season lap of honour too!
  • 3D match on-field trophy presentation after winning something.
  • The abilty for the user to modify any TV camera view (zoom in/out feature, change angle feature etc). I don't buy the licences argument that is often quoted. Players all have generic features anyway, and we already have the TV view now which shows them pretty close up!

• Joey Barton style hissy fits when red carded. Ok I know you won't do this incase you get sued by a real life player - so have it for newgens only!! ;)

(Something i posted last year but definitely worth a look to improve pre seaon/training)

Reading this conversation from the man utd website made me look at my own teams fitness in football manager and kind of inspired me to change things around...unfortunately we cant go that indepth in the game but maybe something for si to look at in the future as this is the kind of stuff that makes the difference with each team and manager!!

let me know you thoughts............

First-class fitness

First-team fitness coach Tony Strudwick sits down with ManUtd.com's Nick Coppack...

Tony, what went on back at Carrington before the team flew out to America?

We have a structure here where the first two days back are pretty much screening and testing. Much of that is to establish where the players are at and where their weaknesses lie. There are more functional screens and medical screens with Dr Steve McNally. We need to know where the players are at and what their priorities are to get them right for the first game of the season in August. Beyond that, we've pretty much gone into the football really early this year. Other years, we've had a little bit longer. But the first game [against New England Revolution] was nine days in, so the priority in the first week was to expose the players back to football and integrate that with the levels of conditioning. Much of the conditioning work is completed within a football environment. The classic pre-season of running up hills and running for eight miles is out of the window. Now it's all about base work in a football environment.

Friendly games don't matter so much to fans but the pre-seaon tour is massively important to you, right?

I think the way we look at the pre-season games is that we want them to give us every opportunity to get it right for the first away game at West Brom. Consequently, the players need enough exposure to be in the right frame of mind for that. Pretty much what you saw in Boston was some players getting 45 minutes but, because we only had 17 outfield players there (most of our Under-21 players are linking up in Seattle), three players had to play 90 minutes. We had to identify the players we felt could cope with that 90 minutes so soon after coming back from holiday. Before West Brom on the first day of the season, we'll be looking at the appropriate exposure rates for each player on the tour in terms of game time and we build that up gradually until we hit the Community Shield. Then we'll give whoever needs it 90 minutes at Wembley so they're in top shape for West Brom.

When do you want the players to hit their peak?

Ideally, we have to hit peak on day one of the season at West Brom. In realistic terms, some of the players won't hit peak until the back end of September, believe it or not. It's just the way individuals react and it's down to the manager to establish where he feels players are at and adjust his starting XI accordingly. But, typically, some of the older guys get up to speed pretty quickly because they've got training exposure behind them and don't lose a lot in the off-season. Generally, they've got less of a margin to make up. Remember Paul Scholes last year - he started brilliantly with his performances in the Community Shield and the first day against Newcastle when he was man of the match. So you see that different players are all individuals and react differently so it's up to us to identify what their needs are and that's where the details change. Going back 10 to 15 years, fitness preparation was at team level. Now it's so individualised and bespoke. Even when we do gym sessions we have a generic structure put in place but, in and around that, we've got different individuals doing different things. It's why we need the level of staff we've got. We can't have attention to detail with just one or two key members of staff.

Is that the difference between United and lower division clubs?

I think so. I would guess it's the detail and the resources. The manager has been fantastic in growing this sports science department and it's really well supported by David Gill, who has a vision going forward - not just building a sports science department now but one for the future.

There's a long-term plan and a new facility, an extension at Carrington, so, from the sports science point of view, the club has been fantastic. We have to do that in the modern game, though, or else we'll get left behind. Pre-season is an important period for us, an important time for the strength team and sports science team, but it's an annual programme. It's not like we bring in a fitness team for pre-season and then, in six to 10 weeks, get rid of them when you start playing football. It's an ongoing thing now, although I must admit that pre-season is the most enjoyable time for me. There's not the intensity in the results of the games - it's about physical preparation and it's a priority from our department's point of view. We like that responsibility, it's challenging for us and enjoyable.

You have a lot of technology at your disposal. What, exactly, do you measure and monitor?

We can monitor pretty much everything: sleep patterns, every run, sprint, spike in performance... We have the capacity at Carrington to do blood analysis, saliva analysis and it can go as scientific or in-depth as you like. The big decisions for us to make now are around that data and deciding what's actually important and what are the important markers to compare ourselves to. By and large, we've bought into heart-rate technology and GPS technology a lot. We feel we have a good understanding of that and have got the computer systems in place at Carrington now to make the most of that. We've also invested in a system that monitors where players are at in terms of daily wellness.

Are the players into the scientific side of things?

Athletes are generally interested in performance and measuring themselves against others and themselves. They are definitely interested and it's part of an ongoing education system. The long-term vision will be almost like a triage system where players come in the morning, we screen them and identify any risk to their health and performance, they go onto another test on the iPad to tell us how they're feeling and then onto in-depth saliva and blood markers. That's where we are at and Dr. Steve McNally has been a big part of that and it's changed the working day for the average footballer. There's now a lot more monitoring and preparation, more gym work than in the past, and that's where we feel the game is going. We have to be on top of it. Players have an expectation now when they come to Manchester United. There's an expectation when players come from other clubs who have got good systems in place that we will provide at least the same level of analysis and detail. We hope to do that - the best players demand the best service and, of course, deserve it. We've got to step up to the plate and do that.

Fine margins can have a big impact in football. Is it as simple as saying, 'If we can increase a player's vertical jump by one centimetre, it can make a difference between a goal being scored or not'?

Definitely, and the modernisation process was epitomised last year with Javier Hernandez. There was a terrific recruitment drive and scouting process in place around his transfer and a lot of monitoring went on when he arrived. He came in and we identified where he was at and what needed work. The testing strategies meant a lot of work then went in to developing the player to play in the Premier League, to cope with the rigours of the Premier League. You have to remember, the English game is different from what a lot of players are used to. It's a very unique league, physically demanding, and we need to do all we can to support the players and give them every chance of performing well on a Saturday afternoon.

The work with Javier seems to suggest your techniques are working...

[Head of strength and conditioning] Gary Walker did an immense amount of work with Javier last year and Gary has got his priorities this year with the new signings. Those guys are major priorities for the sports science team. There's a new goalkeeper, of course, and he's going to be working a lot with [goalkeeper coach] Eric Steele. We've got to match the athlete with the demands that are going to be placed upon him and that's what sports science is all about.

The one down side from a player's point of view with all these advancements is that they can't hide during pre-season!

No, they can't. We're very fortunate with the players here though. By and large, they all work very hard and wouldn't have got to this level without exceptional ability a good level of professionalism. At other clubs, you maybe get one but don't get the other. I have to say, everybody has shown good focus in the last two weeks since returning from their summer breaks. In some ways it's felt a lot smoother than last season when we didn't have the World Cup players and one or two others were injured - Michael Owen, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick... This year, things are looking good.

A few idea's i have for fm13 or fm14.

:The chairman i would like to be able to see a profile for a chairman, that shows his weath,bio on him,age ect. This is just a small feature. I'd also like to see a list of people looking to buy buy clubs.

:Bigger richer consortium's buying clubs involving maybe, a few rich people with good weath buying clubs and sharing the shares, i'd also like to see a list of shares in a club. Also more depth when a club goes in to debt and rumors of people coming to save the club, ranging from mega rich owners to fan trusts, abit like we have saw with rangers in real life.

:An idea from ultimate soccer manager 98 i'd like the option of being able to set the ticket prices,also the price of things sold on stalls like match programmes. It would give you abit more control on making more money or if it goes pear shaped making yoyr club lose more.

:We see how in real life sky sports news is the number one sourse, on anything football from team news to tranfers. I'd like to see a sky sports type studio in the game, that shows the breaking news when you sign a player or a manager is sacked ect. It could also be used to read your news items from, this i feel would give a more life lke feel to the game.

@toon army 06

Chairmen - I agree

Consortiums - already happens within the game.

Ultimate Soccer 98 - have more things to worry about than a few quid from magazines. The real manager of a football club doesn't get involved in things like that.

News - yes a more detailed and practical news reel is needed. But not a sky sports or TV studio. The news reel is pretty shocking and needs an overhaul. Like a lot of other areas within the game User Interface severly lacks.

Archived