Closed Thread
Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Any word on SI's plans for FM13 copy protection?

  1. #1
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    27th July 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default Any word on SI's plans for FM13 copy protection?

    With the release of Diablo III today, its been hard not to notice the storm of fury surrounding that many users have been unable to play their single player game due to them being unable to connect to the Diablo III servers. I for one have little to no issue with steam as it allows users to be able to play their games whilst offline once they are installed and verified, however if there are any plans to move to a system similar to the one used by Diablo III I'd be forced boycott the Football Manager series and SI until they drop such measures.

    So yeah, I'm basically just asking if there is any word on whether SI are going to keep the system the same as FM12 for FM13.

  2. #2
    Moderator and Technical Support
    Join Date
    27th December 2003
    Location
    Half the lies I tell aren't true
    Posts
    33,323

    Default

    To my knowledge, SI and SEGA have never given prior notice of the means of activation before the Demo is released, so I doubt if we will hear for some months yet.

  3. #3
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    27th July 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Do you think there is any chance of them reassuring us before then?

  4. #4
    Third Team
    Join Date
    6th December 2005
    Location
    Hugo Boss
    Posts
    9,517

    Default

    The TV advert for Diablo 3 clearly states an internet connection is required. This may sound harsh but it's just tough for those that fail to read what is a fairly obvious statement.
    I can't see SI changing from Steam. They love it.

  5. #5
    Moderator and Technical Support
    Join Date
    27th December 2003
    Location
    Half the lies I tell aren't true
    Posts
    33,323

    Default

    Personally, I doubt it- all we know is from what the SI/SEGA staff have said on here that , despite some issues with steam, they were reasonably happy with the activation run out and I dont think there will be many changes made this year.

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    24th February 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Is an FM 13 confirmed?

  7. #7
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    27th July 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgar555 View Post
    The TV advert for Diablo 3 clearly states an internet connection is required. This may sound harsh but it's just tough for those that fail to read what is a fairly obvious statement.
    I can't see SI changing from Steam. They love it.
    I know, and I haven't bought the game. However, I am worried that other game producers might try the same, hence why I'm asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrazT View Post
    Personally, I doubt it- all we know is from what the SI/SEGA staff have said on here that , despite some issues with steam, they were reasonably happy with the activation run out and I dont think there will be many changes made this year.
    I hope they stick with Steam, it is a good platform and it has been shown to be effective. Again though, if they try anything like what Blizzard tried with Diablo III, I wouldn't even consider buying the game.

  8. #8
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th May 2007
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Hopefully its with steam again, although with the news that Sega is partnering with Origin there is the potential for Origin exclusivity for Sega.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    19th June 2010
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Wasn't there reports of SEGA as a whole moving to Origin?

  10. #10
    Reserves
    Join Date
    21st July 2003
    Location
    Hiding in the Editor
    Posts
    11,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by !.m.! View Post
    Is an FM 13 confirmed?
    Not yet, to my knowledge.

  11. #11
    Reserves
    Join Date
    21st July 2003
    Location
    Hiding in the Editor
    Posts
    11,405

    Default

    Funnily enough, Miles has just said on his Facebook that FM13 is being worked on but that there won't be any announcements until late August at the earliest

  12. #12
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    27th July 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liniert View Post
    Hopefully its with steam again, although with the news that Sega is partnering with Origin there is the potential for Origin exclusivity for Sega.
    Oh dear...

  13. #13
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    28th June 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    If they go with Origin exclusivity, I might pass on FM13. Can't stand Origin's interface - although I did grudgingly install it so I could play Mass Effect 3. Steam feels much more streamlined for some reason.

    I have no qualms about SI including DRM, obviously. Pre-release piracy kills game developers, and a bit of inconvenience - barely noticeable for me personally - is a small price to pay to avoid that.
    Last edited by hugo_rune; 15-05-2012 at 18:06.

  14. #14
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    27th July 2008
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_rune View Post
    If they go with Origin exclusivity, I might pass on FM13. Can't stand Origin's interface - although I did grudgingly install it so I could play Mass Effect 3. Steam feels much more streamlined for some reason.
    I may actually join you in a little boycott if they choose to go with Origin.

  15. #15
    Reserves
    Join Date
    29th December 2006
    Location
    2011 Best FMCU Poster!
    Posts
    12,723

    Default

    I like Steam, but no way in hell I'm installing that malware known as Origin on my laptop. I trust Valve. I don't trust EA at all with all that sneaky ToS a while back.

    And I like Steam sales, so please, keep FM13 on Steam.

  16. #16
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd July 2010
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by !.m.! View Post
    Is an FM 13 confirmed?
    I heard that due to superstitions about the number thirteen it is going going to be called "Ultimate Football Manager".

  17. #17
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    6th May 2003
    Location
    I'm in the hall of shame in FM08 - most goals scored by a relegated team - 101
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Ah a classic game.

  18. #18
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    3rd April 2009
    Posts
    4,479

    Default

    The whole DRM thing is a disgrace and I'm shocked it's getting the rule rather than the exception with the blessing (or the silent, reluctant support) of most fans.

    If I'm forced to pay for a "digital copy" which is basically a glorified lease of the software, I expect to pay it much less than the real thing.
    My right can be suspended or revoked at a hat's drop, even if I don't do something wrong...

    Steam-only activation was already pushing it IMO (I buy my physical copy of FM, I want to be free to activate it ONCE and forget about Steam, online/offline mode etc), so should SEGA/SI go for something even more choice-crippling than that, they and FM can go eff themselves.

    Piracy is an excuse and a card to play in order to justify corporate greed and to push for a monopolistic market of videogames.


    I really hope SEGA/SI take one step backwards and allow for a one-off activation of FM2013 without forcing people to install and run Steam or any other intrusive platform.

    Want me to buckle under your DRM? Cut the price by 50% from day 1 and we can talk about it

  19. #19
    Amateur
    Join Date
    5th November 2008
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RBKalle View Post
    If I'm forced to pay for a "digital copy" which is basically a glorified lease of the software, I expect to pay it much less than the real thing.
    My right can be suspended or revoked at a hat's drop, even if I don't do something wrong...
    The physical copy operates under more or less the same constraints, though. Yes, ultimately noone is coming to break your CD, but since you talk about rights and theory then you are still pretty much only leasing the game and there is little difference, except for the medium used.

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    28,358

    Default

    Any speculation on this is about 3 months too early atm, personally I don't see it changing.

  21. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    35,513

    Default

    The real thing is the program, not the medium it comes on ffs.

  22. #22
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th March 2007
    Location
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.
    Posts
    6,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post
    The real thing is the program, not the medium it comes on ffs.
    When you purchase the product, you also purchase the DRM. So it makes sense to scrutinise the DRM solution.

    It's the reason why some games like Assassin's Creed and Spore were rightly criticised for their restrictive DRM.

  23. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    35,513

    Default

    Yeah, as usual that had absolutely nothing to do with what was said. Stop that.

  24. #24
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd July 2005
    Posts
    859

    Default

    Origin = no purchase for me. I don't care if the game ships with booze and hookers, I'm not letting it anywhere near my system.

  25. #25
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th March 2007
    Location
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.
    Posts
    6,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post
    Yeah, as usual that had absolutely nothing to do with what was said. Stop that.
    Didn't read your post there, apologies...

  26. #26
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    3rd April 2009
    Posts
    4,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post
    The real thing is the program, not the medium it comes on ffs.

    Sure but if I buy a physical copy with no restrictions in use besides the actual presence of the disc in the drive I have more "rights" than if I'm paying to get a digital copy whose use can be subjected to factors out of my control.

    When I buy a car I can drive it the way I see fit (as long as I respect the law and the road user code)

    With DRM it's as if I'm renting the car for an unlimited amount of time but the the rental provider can decide "it's Sunday and it's rainy outside, you can't drive today"


    Anyway I know such a debate is both Off Topic and definitely a touchy subject in here... So, as proved by the long (and troubled) debate about Steam last fall, there's no use insisting, because, as Virgil said to Charon

    "So 't is will'd where will and power are one / and ask thou no more"

  27. #27
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th June 2004
    Location
    Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.
    Posts
    35,513

    Default

    No, you actually don't. The T&Cs are identical.

    Analogies are all rubbish and should never actually be used in order to try and make any point.

  28. #28
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th March 2007
    Location
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.
    Posts
    6,670

    Default

    They're not always the same. If you purchase a product that does not require Steam (and you use that product), then you are not bound by Steam's terms and conditions. So if you have a choice between Steam and non-Steam, the terms and conditions are very unlikely to be the same (unless for some odd reason the product's terms and conditions includes Steam's terms and conditions).

    Analogies are not useless. Analogies are used all the time in learning, to "dumb down" ideas. False analogies are the useless ones.

  29. #29
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    3rd April 2009
    Posts
    4,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackter View Post
    No, you actually don't. The T&Cs are identical.

    Are you ACTUALLY claiming the ToS of, say, CM2, CM4, FM2007, FM2012 and Diablo III are the same?!

  30. #30
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    12th June 2005
    Location
    #wegoagain
    Posts
    25,748

    Default

    I don't care about DRM, never have, never will and can't understand for the life of me why so many people are so strongly against it.

    I only care about the game actually being any good, which it probably won't be.

  31. #31
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    28,358

    Default

    Car analogies are the useless ones honestly, why are you all getting worked up?

    We aren't going to know what FM13 will use for months yet and if this is a general discussion on DRM (and the value of analogies) then it belongs in OTF, not here.

  32. #32
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th May 2010
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RBKalle View Post
    The whole DRM thing is a disgrace and I'm shocked it's getting the rule rather than the exception with the blessing (or the silent, reluctant support) of most fans.

    If I'm forced to pay for a "digital copy" which is basically a glorified lease of the software, I expect to pay it much less than the real thing.
    My right can be suspended or revoked at a hat's drop, even if I don't do something wrong...

    Steam-only activation was already pushing it IMO (I buy my physical copy of FM, I want to be free to activate it ONCE and forget about Steam, online/offline mode etc), so should SEGA/SI go for something even more choice-crippling than that, they and FM can go eff themselves.

    Piracy is an excuse and a card to play in order to justify corporate greed and to push for a monopolistic market of videogames.


    I really hope SEGA/SI take one step backwards and allow for a one-off activation of FM2013 without forcing people to install and run Steam or any other intrusive platform.

    Want me to buckle under your DRM? Cut the price by 50% from day 1 and we can talk about it
    i couldnt agree more to be honest. sad but true

  33. #33
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    28,358

    Default

    Enough, as people can't take even a very broad hint this is closed.

    As said if you want a general discussion on DRM do it in OTF, if you want to discuss FM13 DRM come back in a couple of months minimum.

  34. #34
    First Team
    Join Date
    5th June 2007
    Location
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010
    Posts
    22,222

    Default

    Edit: sorry Kriss, started writing this before you closed the thread.

    Ultimately from SI's perspective Steam activation has worked brilliantly, they've had a few issues (Mac users who upgraded their OS being locked out, users being accused of piracy, people not being able to access the game occasionally, Steam randomly forgetting it is in offline mode), but from their point of view piracy is down, sales are up, and the vast, vast majority of users are playing on the latest update which makes it easier to fix bugs. The customers they lose who don't want Steam being intrusive or locking them out are minimal compared to those who can't pirate the game, so it is the right business decision (in a simple, purely money-based outlook).

  35. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    28th April 2005
    Location
    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.
    Posts
    28,358

    Default

    No prob, that's probably an excellent way to round off the discussion for now, my money is on Steam again (I have no inside knowledge) when we do know we'll have a point for discussion.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts