Proper time for "why can't you play like this every match" pep talk?

So I'm currently managing Northampton in my journeyman save. Midway through the season I go on a nice little 7-game unbeaten run. This is followed by a run of 4 straight defeats, one of which was a 4-1 loss in which my team basically gave in.. Immediately after this run, a nice 4-0 win. I choose to give the "why can't you play like this every match?" talk, which angers a fair few of my players. I understand that they probably want some praise after the good win, but surely they can see why consistency is a valid point to bring up? I've noticed on the few occasions I give this pep-talk, my team doesn't respond well, so is there ever a good time to give it?

True, that works, but has anyone ever said "why can't you play like this every match" and had it have a positive effect? I figure that when an inconsistent team gives a good performance it should be appropriate, but my players tend to not react well.

For the record, I normally use a calm tone.

I see it as a talk which decreases morale slightly but helps avoid complacency in the future. I use it after outstanding performances (rating <9.0) where morale is already superb.

I think it has a lot to do with the odds and whether you were expected to win comfortably. If you're Manchester United and you happen to beat Arsenal 4-0, you wouldn't use it, but if you beat Wolves 4-0, you would in order to emphasise consistent high standards, as opposed to your players just having a really really good day.

You might want them to have that really really good day every game, but I think their anger is telling you you're being unrealistic, given whomever it is they've just beaten.

Who were you playing?

I'll take my chances dealing with complacency through other means, thank you. So I just praise wins and good performances calmly and with some restraint (well done, no superlatives), see them become happy and then I deal with complacency next time.

I fall into the same camp as most others, tried it and it failed and never used it again. But therein for me lies a problem, that being one of those aspects within the game that seemingly never gets used. So why have it there, as you would think it should be there to be used.

So looking at it, and in answer to Gyoza's question when would be the best time to use it?

"Why can't you play like that every match"

The question itself, irrespective of tone is one of frustration it would be fair to say. You could quite easily insert a FFS in front of it, a Bl**dy Hell, and just about any other form of expletive you like :). That then would suggest inconsistent form, your team are scraping wins against lower ranked teams, or drawing possibly. Against higher ranked teams possibly playing ok but losing as would be expected. But, on the whole pretty much underperforming, and maybe be sitting in the lower half of the league when you should be sitting in the upper half.

I would suggest that it could possibly be used when playing a similar ranked team and you win. The score line itself would not necessarily be important, but moreso the performance, a one nil victory in a match you dominated and played well is just as good as a two or three goal winning margin. So it would be about performance I would guess.

More confirmation on the performance can be gleaned from the last bit of commentary at the end of the match. I look to this all the time as a gauge on the team performance and the subsequent team talk. Some of the good performance indicators are insert name deserved their win, insert name and co never looked like losing this.

Negatives would be insert name would feel he could have won the game/ contributed more. Both used for your own and the opposition team. So a handy bit of information to keep an eye out for.

So why a similar ranked team? Similar ranked teams are more or less going to be match odd related as opposed to league position related. Those teams where the odds are quite even or slight favourites, and, maybe slight underdogs. These type of games suggest that if you play as expected than you could/should come away with a victory. Winning in these types of matches and bearing in mind this is about performing inconsistently, you played well, the team has performed well, and final match commentary is positive. So to me this is the ideal opportunity to suggest post match the question "why can't we do this all the time?" As ostensibly you would then be telling the team this is the level at which you would be expected to perform at every match.

Trying this on lower or higher ranked team probably would not work and the reason should be quite obvious, as it will be a case of performing as expected with lower ranked teams or you have over performed (or the opposition under performed) with higher ranked teams.

Negative reactions would be expected to a degree when using it and it in its own way kind of makes sense, as was mentioned earlier it is a team talk aspect that is seemingly one of frustration with your players overall league performance. How players will act is as we know dependent upon their professionalism. Even with that it would be possible to have two players with a good professionalism and one responds well and the other doesn't. As that is the way players are. Some would take it on board and say "yep you're right", others might fell they are being hard done by, possibly because they feel they contribute in every match (that is where private chats come into play;)). Lower professionalism players may feel it a bit daunting so react negatively, "you mean I have to do that every week", and some may look to take on the challenge.

Well that is my musings on the topic :D. I figure having written that down I may give that team talk a go in future and see how it pans out. As it stands my lot are borderline for the use of it so it may come into play quite soon.

I finally used it to get a positive reaction! Won 4-0 in a CL game after a 6-2 loss in the league and calmly said "Why can't you play like that every match".

So it must be used after a big loss where you gave them the hairdryer?

So it must be used after a big loss where you gave them the hairdryer?

Pretty much. I've used it a couple other times after a good win following a poor result and gotten mixed reactions. Seems to work best after I give them the hairdryer though.

I think logically, IRL if a Sir Alex, or Jose said this to their players, they wouldn't all start sulking. I think the influence and standing of the manager within the club should make this teamtalk proportionately more effective. A highly influential manager most probably wouldn't be faced with a sea of sulking faces. They'd just listen, shut up, be grateful for the faint praise and get out of the dressing room.

If I am a footballer, I wouldn't appreciate being speak to like that. It is as if the football manager is expecting us to win every time...which does not happen in real life.

Disagree. Same team, same tactic (with some modifications depending on the opposition), five wins in a row, four heavy losses in a row, then a 4-0 win. Alternating between creating 6 CCCs in a match with having 2 shots (both long-range, both off-target). I'd say it's a pretty damn valid point to make.

Praise them when they win, then bring them back down to earth the next game with "I expect a win" or "I have faith in you to win". I do this all the time, except against far stronger opponents.

I have refrained from using "Why can't you do this all the time" after a bad experience in an older FM.

So I'm currently managing Northampton in my journeyman save. Midway through the season I go on a nice little 7-game unbeaten run. This is followed by a run of 4 straight defeats, one of which was a 4-1 loss in which my team basically bent over and asked to be raped. Immediately after this run, a nice 4-0 win. I choose to give the "why can't you play like this every match?" talk, which angers a fair few of my players. I understand that they probably want some praise after the good win, but surely they can see why consistency is a valid point to bring up? I've noticed on the few occasions I give this pep-talk, my team doesn't respond well, so is there ever a good time to give it?

Out of interest which players have you found to be good and which are you getting rid of?

I am on season 4 of a Northampton save.

I joined them midway through their 3rd season so some of the players may be different. But I found their fullbacks (Paul Black and John Johnson) to be good. I also kept Adam Moffatt (DM) and Mark Jacobs (winger) in the first team, and kept Salihu (striker), Pozgain (AM) and Wedderburn (midfield/CB) as backups. I got rid of my defensive pairing (horrible concentration), Atkinson (good winger and captain, but missed an inhuman amount of CCC), and Ngoo (5-star potential but not mobile enough to be a lone striker and too sluggish in mind and body)

• 2 weeks later...
I joined them midway through their 3rd season so some of the players may be different. But I found their fullbacks (Paul Black and John Johnson) to be good. I also kept Adam Moffatt (DM) and Mark Jacobs (winger) in the first team, and kept Salihu (striker), Pozgain (AM) and Wedderburn (midfield/CB) as backups. I got rid of my defensive pairing (horrible concentration), Atkinson (good winger and captain, but missed an inhuman amount of CCC), and Ngoo (5-star potential but not mobile enough to be a lone striker and too sluggish in mind and body)

That's interesting - I'm in season 6 now and still got Jacobs in the Championship... though his pace isn't great for a winger he still gets plenty assists. Pozgain went early on for me, and Wedderburn just wasn't quite good enough. Johnson is a decent player but I had a plethora of full backs so ditched him too.

Archived