+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AI imaginative formations

Reserves

Default AI imaginative formations

Whats the most imaginative formation an AI has played against you? I dont usually pay that much attention but I just saw basingstoke has lined up with this

An odd formation which I would call a 1-2-2-3-2.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by ri916 View Post
    Whats the most imaginative formation an AI has played against you? I dont usually pay that much attention but I just saw basingstoke has lined up with this

I saw one like it, but they had the central midfielder pulled back in a DMC position and no sweeper. It was a good tactic, as they had five men in defense, five men in the midfield and seven men in attack. They were a bit vulnerable on the flanks, though, so I crushed them anyways

Third Team

i have seen some strange ones.
    Liverpool played a 4-2-1-2-1 against me (back 4 and 3 midfielders 2 wingers and a striker), i used the same fomration against them the next season and beat em 6-1
    Fulham played an odd one as well
    4-1-2-2-1

Amateur

i'm using a 4-4-2 fairly well at the moment and teams like to switch to a 3(central defenders) -3(wing backs & defensive midfielder) -2(two central midfielders) -1(attacking midfielder) -1(striker)

I have noticed teams going to 5 at the back against my side, when we are running wild with 3 strikers and a winger. Then the rest of the team lines up down the center of the field, giving them a 5-1-2-1-1! Sure, it protects the center of the pitch, but the fullbacks can run wild, and 3 men in midfield completely nullifies it.

I have also seen a team line up with 4-1-3-1-1 recently, same idea, try to dominate the center of the park, I guess? I think the opposition manager was just trying to keep me guessing as they always play 4-4-2 and I mentioned as much in the press conference, so he was trying to one-up me, I suppose? It was a case of 'who blinks first' and since my team was having the better of it they had to end up changing tactics midway to... 4-4-2! Come on, the formation I lined up ready to face? Seriously?

First Team
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ri916 View Post

Most people would call it 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. A fairly common formation in the 90s.

Third Team

The 5-3-2 variant is similar to what I played in during the early 90's in Germany, FB's were a little deeper until 92/93 when we starting playing more like WB's & the sweeper was replaced with an advanced CB, not quite a DM/Anchor man though.
    Last edited by Barside; 09-05-2012 at 19:39.

Semi Pro

Not an unusual formation per se, but in my FM08 game championship-side Watford played a hyper-attacking 4-2-4. They had the likes of Stephen Fletcher, Ebanks Blake, Damien Duff and Felipe Caicedo. They got third with an insane goal for tally, but unsurprisingly leaked goals like a sieve. Typical scorelines were 3-2's and 4-3's. Beat me in the playoff finals, the b*st*rds

Amateur

On my save game in Russia Amkar Perm played a formation with a midfield 5 of 1 DM, 3 CM and 1 AM. It also had 4 defenders and 1 up front.

It's been quite successful as they kept staying up year after year despite having a poor squad. I tended to do quite well against it though and dished out some thrashings. The manager who played it has retired now though, so I can see them tumbling into the 1st Division in my next season.

The old 4-1-3-1-1. Its just too narrow, and some of the players are just too close to each other (the central mids and AMc and DMc), for my liking.

I can see how against teams without any decent flank players you could ruin their game plan, entirely, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Liam View Post
    On my save game in Russia Amkar Perm played a formation with a midfield 5 of 1 DM, 3 CM and 1 AM. It also had 4 defenders and 1 up front.

It's been quite successful as they kept staying up year after year despite having a poor squad. I tended to do quite well against it though and dished out some thrashings. The manager who played it has retired now though, so I can see them tumbling into the 1st Division in my next season.

Amateur

I never seen a team with an odd starting tactic but they do at times change to some unusual tactic when they're chasing goal(s) or protecting a lead. The coolest one I've seen is... I don't know what it's called but it looks like a pine tree

ST
    ACML ACMR
    ML MC MR
    DM
    DCL DC DCR

Something like that IIRC

(The spacing between ML-MC-MR not shown correctly... I don't know how to fix this O.o)
    Last edited by PPPPPPPPPPPP10; 10-05-2012 at 20:25.

+ Reply to Thread