Tips for a newcomer to the lower leagues? looking to start a journeyman career

sultan1991

Hey guys im pretty new to this side of FM, my passion has always been developing EPL sides or newly promoted EPL sides into continental forces. Recently iv been reading some of these careers and its really inspired me!.

So im starting in the Blue Square Premier and plan to have a bit of a journeyman career, iv decided to pick my first team instead of starting unemployed, iv chosen Grimsby because the name has a strange pull for me... in anycase iv been looking through some threads and gained some insight but in all honestly im not a master tactician and was looking for some general assistance with things like...

tactics at a lower level

players to sign (had a quick look already so i have a good idea)

and i understand seasons are very long, i generally play every game but i was wondering do some people simulate or holiday games? this is more out of curiousity

Thanks for your help guys...im looking forward to this!

I'm currently playing a lower league game and I'd say keep tactics basic at that level. A 4-4-2 works wonders at that level. As for holidaying and simulating...I play every single game, I don't even holiday once the close season finishes. You never know what players you may miss in the transfer market.

Most important thing you need to do is get in the best possible staff that you can. Get in the best assistant manager you can ASAP, focus primarily on highest possible JPA and JPP attribute, do the same when signing any scouts. Vary where you scout, you'll probably only be able to scout in UK/Ireland, make sure to get one roaming there as well as a guy to scout your next opponent. In terms of signing players you'll be relying heavily on your scouts, if you're signing in players on frees (which you probably mainly will be) I'd suggest getting them in on a trial first to get a closer look at them. Get your assistant to look for possible loans as well if you're particularly short in certain positions. If you're looking at being a journeyman especially in the lower league I would say don't bother too much with developing youth players/buying in good quality young players, as you probably wont be at the club to see them develop to the best of their ability anyway.

I agree with the rest here. In lower leagues, I usually play a rigid, controlling game. Shorter passes, less creative freedom as a 4-4-2. The main thing I look for is physical stats in players at that level because normally you can only train part time.

I also play all matches. I just like to control subs, and enjoy watching :) Best of luck!

Archived