+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Confused about this sending off.

  1. #1
    Stoke City Researcher
    Join Date
    1st January 2007
    Location
    Nihilism.
    Posts
    3,588

    Default Confused about this sending off.

    You can see the 10 or so minutes building up to the red card, and just like in the actual match nothing of particular note happened to warrant a red card. In the actual game itself Kevin Davies was running down the left, Shawcross came across and tackled him. Andy Wilkinson was in the box without a single Stoke or Bolton player within several yards of him. Yet somehow, as soon as Shawcross made the tackle he got sent off.


  2. #2
    FC Oss Researcher
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    do you have a video of it? Looks very odd

  3. #3
    Stoke City Researcher
    Join Date
    1st January 2007
    Location
    Nihilism.
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    The video only adds to the oddness of the sending off. It's just uploading now and then I'll post it up.

  4. #4
    Stoke City Researcher
    Join Date
    1st January 2007
    Location
    Nihilism.
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTCHxiJRw4

    Here it is, you can see Wilkinsons name pop up as he crosses the ball and then track his movements from there.

  5. #5
    Third Team
    Join Date
    6th August 2007
    Posts
    8,482

    Default

    Something definitely isn't right there, certainly worth uploading the match pkm for SI to have a look at.

  6. #6
    FC Oss Researcher
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    the only thing I can think of is he is booked for an earlier incident but I don't think I have seen this done in fm?

  7. #7
    Stoke City Researcher
    Join Date
    1st January 2007
    Location
    Nihilism.
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    The sending off isn't so much the problem, its the entire lack of explanation about it.

  8. #8
    FC Oss Researcher
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    well, really the sending off is the problem, Can't really see any reason for it

  9. #9
    Reserves
    Join Date
    8th January 2004
    Posts
    12,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Furia Roja View Post
    the only thing I can think of is he is booked for an earlier incident but I don't think I have seen this done in fm?
    I think this is possibly the answer.

    He was booked as soon as the ball went of play which suggests an earlier incident, maybe not covered by the highlights - need to view full match.

    Upload the pkm though and SI will take a look.

  10. #10
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd February 2010
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Only if the ref played advantage on a previous bookable offense but as La Furia Roja said, i don't think i ever saw that on FM.

  11. #11
    Third Team
    Join Date
    29th April 2003
    Location
    Feels he should be in the game
    Posts
    7,010

    Default

    Neither did I. And certainly it would still require an according explanation in the game.

  12. #12
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    13th August 2010
    Location
    Inowrocław, Poland
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    It's not included in the game. Even if it was, I'm sure it would take less than eight minutes to get the ball out of play and the incident would be described in match report.

  13. #13
    Amateur
    Join Date
    9th November 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I've had a couple weird send offs like that as well.

  14. #14
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    17th February 2007
    Location
    FMS Awards 2011 Winner of Best Story from a Celtic Nation for Jumping Through Hoops
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Furia Roja View Post
    the only thing I can think of is he is booked for an earlier incident but I don't think I have seen this done in fm?
    Thing is if he is now picking up a second yellow card for an earlier incident then that isn't allowed.

    If a player commits an offence that leads to a straight red or a second yellow then the referee is obliged to stop the game and send the player off. He cannot go back and do it later like he can with a first caution.

  15. #15
    First Team
    Join Date
    5th June 2007
    Location
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010
    Posts
    22,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_1967 View Post
    Thing is if he is now picking up a second yellow card for an earlier incident then that isn't allowed.

    If a player commits an offence that leads to a straight red or a second yellow then the referee is obliged to stop the game and send the player off. He cannot go back and do it later like he can with a first caution.
    ... unless, of course, there is a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

  16. #16
    FC Oss Researcher
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_1967 View Post
    Thing is if he is now picking up a second yellow card for an earlier incident then that isn't allowed.

    If a player commits an offence that leads to a straight red or a second yellow then the referee is obliged to stop the game and send the player off. He cannot go back and do it later like he can with a first caution.
    Yes, according to the Laws of the Game 2011/12.

    The referee may play advantage whenever an infringement or offence occurs.
    The referee should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:
    If the infringement warrants an expulsion, the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a subsequent opportunity to score a goal.

    Unless the ME thought it was an attacking move and the ref should play on as it presented an opportunity to score a goal? Just throwing it out there, personally I don't think this is the case as it was not a CCC.

  17. #17
    Third Team
    Join Date
    29th April 2003
    Location
    Feels he should be in the game
    Posts
    7,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Furia Roja View Post
    Yes, according to the Laws of the Game 2011/12.

    The referee may play advantage whenever an infringement or offence occurs.
    The referee should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:
    If the infringement warrants an expulsion, the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a subsequent opportunity to score a goal.

    Unless the ME thought it was an attacking move and the ref should play on as it presented an opportunity to score a goal? Just throwing it out there, personally I don't think this is the case as it was not a CCC.
    The laws of the game are not at all relevant here. We all know that irl the ref can wait with a booking until the next stop in the game.

    The issue is though, that this is not in FM. And that there was no sign of any infringement whatsoever. And no indication of any, even if there had been an infringement.

  18. #18
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th July 2011
    Location
    Sunny Skegness
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Its ok saying it could of happened earlier and I have seen yellows given after the end of a piece of play due to allowing advantage but that video was actually quite a long passage of play where the ball went from one end of the pitch to the other! Stoke were actually attacking at the start anyway so play wouldn't of got that far if the foul was before hand. Got to say this sending off is a total mystery but the match engine certainly wanted Wilkinson sent off!

  19. #19
    Reserves
    Join Date
    8th January 2004
    Posts
    12,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayahr View Post
    The laws of the game are not at all relevant here. We all know that irl the ref can wait with a booking until the next stop in the game.

    The issue is though, that this is not in FM. And that there was no sign of any infringement whatsoever. And no indication of any, even if there had been an infringement.
    How do you know its not in FM?

    I can't say for certain but I think I've seen refs book players for earlier incidents, I could be wrong though.

  20. #20
    FC Oss Researcher
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayahr View Post
    The laws of the game are not at all relevant here. We all know that irl the ref can wait with a booking until the next stop in the game.

    The issue is though, that this is not in FM. And that there was no sign of any infringement whatsoever. And no indication of any, even if there had been an infringement.
    I think you misunderstand. We are saying that the ref CANNOT wait until it goes out of play for a second caution unless it is a clear scoring opportunity, which it was not.

    If you read all of the posts, I as well as others have said that we have never seen this enforced in FM.

    I think it is a bug in the ME personally.
    Last edited by La Furia Roja; 09-05-2012 at 03:18.

  21. #21
    Amateur
    Join Date
    6th November 2010
    Location
    British Empire
    Posts
    821

    Default

    I would just like to say although this does appear to be a serious issue and people have made some good points, that i found this video hilarious.

    having played so much of football manager over the last few years and championship manager before that i don't think i've ever seen the ref play advantage and then book/send off a player after like in fifa. however i haven't watched a game in 3d in a very long time and it is really weird that there is NOTHING in the match report to say why he got a yellow, dissent? but even if it is something it should be included in the match report which is why i think it's %100 a bug.

  22. #22
    Third Team
    Join Date
    29th April 2003
    Location
    Feels he should be in the game
    Posts
    7,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by La Furia Roja View Post
    I think you misunderstand. We are saying that the ref CANNOT wait until it goes out of play for a second caution unless it is a clear scoring opportunity, which it was not.

    If you read all of the posts, I as well as others have said that we have never seen this enforced in FM.

    I think it is a bug in the ME personally.
    I totally agree.

    My perception of the rules is that a ref CAN wait with a second yellow card at his own discretion until the next stop of play and the restriction to that discretion only applies in case a straight red is to be given. But anyway.

    Given that nobody has ssen it in the game so far, it's safe to assume it's not in there and thus I agree it's a ME bug.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts