+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Jerky 3d match engine

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st December 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Jerky 3d match engine

    Afternoon all, after some help and advice please. I have a pc that is a few years old with a 2.2 ghz processor. It runs FM 12 ok but with jerky 3d match engine. I bought a new graphics card a radeon hd6570 2gb but still the same problem. I borrowed an i5 with a 2.7 ghz processor to test the water but the same problem. Ive tried to research this problem but have not found a clear answer on what part of the computer causes this. Ive tried many things to cure including defragging, clearing cache, lowering game settings, etc but to no avail. Please help! What can i do to my computer to help? If i got a new computer, zoostorm with a 3.4 ghz processor and better graphics card say a 6770 is there any guarentee that would handle the 3d match engine?

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    17th August 2008
    Posts
    161

    Default

    have you tried running game booster? have you also tried going to: run->msconfig and try turning off any processes that you don't need running.

  3. #3
    Third Team
    Join Date
    6th August 2007
    Posts
    8,482

    Default

    Are you running in windowed mode?

    I am & will occasionally get a jerky match viewer, the problem is solved by switch from maximise to restore down or vice-versa.

  4. #4
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st February 2009
    Location
    Tromsø, Norway
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deacster View Post
    If i got a new computer, zoostorm with a 3.4 ghz processor and better graphics card say a 6770 is there any guarentee that would handle the 3d match engine?
    That specific card has issues, at least with the mobile version. I'm not sure if the desktop version of the card performs better

    http://community.sigames.com/showthr...d-6770m-512mb)

  5. #5
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,799

    Default

    Part of this is just down to crappy game code. I occasionally get the jerky 3d engine on an OC 6850 - so it's not the graphics card, nor is it the processor.

    If it happens all the time, then something else is going on. Do you have a web browser open in the background? Most of those use hardware acceleration now which can really screw up performance in some games, even on high end systems.

    And yes, a desktop 6770 is far, far, far superior to the laptop model.

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st February 2009
    Location
    Tromsø, Norway
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    And yes, a desktop 6770 is far, far, far superior to the laptop model.
    If that was a response to me, i meant performs as in "Is not bugged to the moon and back in FM" The Match Engine problems are likely due to the architecture of the card and poor programming of the FM match engine graphics, so if the architecture is the same, the problems are likely to be the same as well.

  7. #7
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    11th June 2010
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    What I've heard and read about AMD drivers is they are kind of miss or hit. The driver may work perfect but then after an update the game starts getting jerky. Next update the game works fine again but then some other game screws up and so on...

  8. #8
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikker View Post
    What I've heard and read about AMD drivers is they are kind of miss or hit. The driver may work perfect but then after an update the game starts getting jerky. Next update the game works fine again but then some other game screws up and so on...
    Yes, sometimes they are a bit poor. That being said, Nvidia also have issues at different times too. The best thing to do with AMD drivers is to wait a week after they've been released to see if there any major problems being reported.

  9. #9
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st December 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. I only use the computer for FM nothing else so no other programs or on line. Do you think it would be worth trying a nvidia card then?

  10. #10
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    11th June 2010
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deacster View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I only use the computer for FM nothing else so no other programs or on line. Do you think it would be worth trying a nvidia card then?
    Well, when I bought a new PC recently my "dealer" highly recommended to buy a Nvidia card because of problems with AMD drivers. Also my parents PC keeps being unstable constantly complaining about AMD drivers even though the latest where installed. But of course it can't be all bad as AMD graphic cards and processors are still being sold...

  11. #11
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,799

    Default

    AMD make better cards, imho.

    Much better value for money. OC6850 can be bought for under £100 and overclocks so simply through the driver software that anyone can do it - will outperform anything Nvidia offers for under £170 near enough.

    The driver problems are not as big as people make out, there's just the occasional hiccup.

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    13th June 2007
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakers View Post
    Much better value for money. OC6850 can be bought for under £100 and overclocks so simply through the driver software that anyone can do it - will outperform anything Nvidia offers for under £170 near enough.
    .
    No.

    The 6850 cards are roughly comparable to the 460 series Nvidia cards (with the 460 being significantly better in some tests).

    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-49.jpg

    Lost Planet 2
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-69.jpg

    Starcraft 2
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-79.jpg

    Unigine benchmark engine
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-85.jpg

    A 460 card will set you back about £100 if you shop around, £130 if you do not. A good 6850 card and not just the base model will set you back almost exactly the same.

    A £150 Nvidia card such as a 560 TI will destroy any 6850 card, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=330

    A £170 Nvidia card such as the GTX 570 is almost twice as fast as the 6850 cards. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=306

    £100 AMD cards compete against £100 Nvidia cards, they most certainly do not compete against Nvidia cards nearly twice their price else the £100 AMD card would get raised in price to £170.

  13. #13
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th April 2003
    Location
    Is finding it difficult to settle in the new forum. Is homesick. Is Unsettled.
    Posts
    15,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougyMarshall View Post
    No.

    The 6850 cards are roughly comparable to the 460 series Nvidia cards (with the 460 being significantly better in some tests).

    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-49.jpg

    Lost Planet 2
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-69.jpg

    Starcraft 2
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-79.jpg

    Unigine benchmark engine
    http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...6800-OC-85.jpg

    A 460 card will set you back about £100 if you shop around, £130 if you do not. A good 6850 card and not just the base model will set you back almost exactly the same.

    A £150 Nvidia card such as a 560 TI will destroy any 6850 card, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=330

    A £170 Nvidia card such as the GTX 570 is almost twice as fast as the 6850 cards. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=306

    £100 AMD cards compete against £100 Nvidia cards, they most certainly do not compete against Nvidia cards nearly twice their price else the £100 AMD card would get raised in price to £170.
    Sorry, no. Not when the 6850s can be stupidly overclocked with no worry. Plus the OC6850 models can be found for under £100 every so often.

    The £170 was a typo though, I meant £140.
    Last edited by Wakers; 08-05-2012 at 06:06.

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st December 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Ive been watching closely and the problens generally occur when the ball is in the air and the screen is moving quickly. When the ball is beinf passed around steadily it seems far smoother. Not sure if that helps the diagnosis?

  15. #15
    Amateur
    Join Date
    21st December 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Just bumping this up in case anyone can help?

  16. #16
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    11th June 2010
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    Better value for money? Well, I guess it depends where you buy them... Not where I bought my most recent graphic card (DK). And what's most important - stability or performance?
    In test AMD cards might show better performance but tests never reveal the instability cards/drivers may have as they are only tested for a short period.

  17. #17
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    31st July 2010
    Location
    Playing FM here: http://fm-fmo.weebly.com
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    The only time I get a jerky 3d match is in the early rounds of cup competitions when a lot of fixtures are being processed.

    League games are fine, as are later cup round matches.

    This leads me to believe that FM does a lot of background processing of data (possibly other Ai v Ai matches & player stat updates etc) while your current match is being displayed to you.

    Deacster, try this; start a test game and only load 1 nation and 1 division, eg Sweden. Watch a match and see if your game is still jerky. If it isn't then I'd recommend a bit of trial and error - starting a save with just a few leagues loaded, until you find a setup your PC can handle. If its still jerky with just 1 league from 1 nation loaded then its obviously something else completely, something only SI could advise you properly on.
    Last edited by Erimus1876; 10-05-2012 at 08:41.

  18. #18
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    31st July 2010
    Location
    Playing FM here: http://fm-fmo.weebly.com
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    For what its worth I don't think its your processor or graphics card. They're both better than mine (4 year old AMD Turon 2.2Ghz, and Radeon 3450M).

    Like I say, those run 95% of matches perfectly fine (low settings though). Only the FA Cup R1, the FA Trophy R1, and the 3rd qualifying rounds of the CL & EL, plus International qualifiying match dates, cause a jerky 3D game on mine because of the amount of other fixtures being processed that day.

    I can gurantee those dates will be jerky 3d match dates on mine, season after season.
    Last edited by Erimus1876; 10-05-2012 at 08:46.

  19. #19
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    28th February 2003
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    2,421

    Default

    Switch between fullscreen and windowed and see if there's a difference. Mine runs excellently in windowed by every few matches goes jerky fullscreen.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts