+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Potential Laptop vs Current Desktop

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th October 2011
    Posts
    203

    Default Potential Laptop vs Current Desktop

    I thought there was a specific place for these kind of questions but couldnt find it so ill post here....

    I currently run a pc with a q8200 cpu, nvidia gtx 460 gpu and 4gb ram, i have seena laptop i want which has an i7 2670qm , 8 gig and nvidia 540m gpu (2gb).

    my question is, will the far more modern and specced laptop show a marked improvement with the game?

    Cheers for any help.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    3rd June 2007
    Location
    Lucas Radebe's boot bag
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    yes... there will be an improvement....

    your quad core is decent.. but the i7 is a much better chip ..

    the extra ram wont make much of a difference.. only if you're multitasking while playing.. and the graphics card wont be much of a bottleneck with either system

    but .... if you're buying that laptop JUST for fm... dont .. that'll no doubt cost you 700 odd quid or something.. and thats over kill for fm

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th October 2011
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welshace View Post
    yes... there will be an improvement....

    your quad core is decent.. but the i7 is a much better chip ..

    the extra ram wont make much of a difference.. only if you're multitasking while playing.. and the graphics card wont be much of a bottleneck with either system

    but .... if you're buying that laptop JUST for fm... dont .. that'll no doubt cost you 700 odd quid or something.. and thats over kill for fm
    Its not JUST for fm, its for civilzation too :-D

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    3rd June 2007
    Location
    Lucas Radebe's boot bag
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    haha.. same thing with civ... can get a laptop half the price that will run those fine ..

    but then again.. if you have £800 sitting around spare.... why not

  5. #5
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th October 2011
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welshace View Post
    haha.. same thing with civ... can get a laptop half the price that will run those fine ..

    but then again.. if you have £800 sitting around spare.... why not
    its my bday pressie from the missus so im milking it for all i can!

    Got it for around 650 squids anways. Last one they had in pc world! have it on hold till tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Third Team
    Join Date
    6th August 2007
    Posts
    8,481

    Default

    You could always push the boat out & take out the finance package to buy this

    Not sure what they were thinking when they decided to add that monster to their product line or how many the expect to sell.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    3rd June 2007
    Location
    Lucas Radebe's boot bag
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    hahah 48gb ram... really?


    the ssd would be nice though

    so would the dual xeon processors .. wow

  8. #8
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th October 2011
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    You could always push the boat out & take out the finance package to buy this

    Not sure what they were thinking when they decided to add that monster to their product line or how many the expect to sell.
    That is obscene!

    How could you justify spending 10k on a pc? Mind you, i bet you could run every league at max database and get through a season in no time at all. Hmmm.......

  9. #9
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    13th June 2003
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Or ... what about the most powerful laptop in the world? Clevo P270

  10. #10
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    15th March 2010
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldyloxxx View Post
    That is obscene!

    How could you justify spending 10k on a pc? Mind you, i bet you could run every league at max database and get through a season in no time at all. Hmmm.......
    Nope. FM doesn't utilise more than 3 (maybe 4) gig of RAM, so anything over that isn't actually gonna make a difference. Whilst the processor would be a massive benefit, FM is only gonna use so much processing power before it just doesn't need anymore.

    You could get through pretty quick, but with regards to the RAM it isn't gonna make any difference if you had the same system but just 4GB memory.

  11. #11
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th March 2007
    Location
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.
    Posts
    6,670

    Default

    Civilization V is Large-Address Aware, though, so it can address up to 4 GB of RAM.

    And you can get faster PCs... 8x Xeon E7s, 256 GB of RAM, and 4 AMD FirePro cards in quad SLI...

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th October 2011
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slawbawn View Post
    Nope. FM doesn't utilise more than 3 (maybe 4) gig of RAM, so anything over that isn't actually gonna make a difference. Whilst the processor would be a massive benefit, FM is only gonna use so much processing power before it just doesn't need anymore.

    You could get through pretty quick, but with regards to the RAM it isn't gonna make any difference if you had the same system but just 4GB memory.
    Did i specify that i was talking about the ram?

  13. #13
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    12th April 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,481

    Default

    The Current Desktop / Potential Laptop system really needs an overhaul. While it considers the standard cases, it misses things such as your current desktop over performing and as such being worthy upgrades, like more RAM. I mean, if it can run FM and WoW at the same time, shouldn't we be upping it's stats to that of an Alienware?

    And who knows how good a potential laptop will be? Sure researchers can guess, but we aren't gods. For all we know it could break in a day or out perform anyone's expectations.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts