+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

Youth Team

With such a great preseason your morale should be sky high which should give you a great start to the season.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Wow, tore New England apart.
    Thanks, deltablue Yeah, New England is kind of my bitch right now. I also just played them in my first MLS match of the season...won that 5-0. Over 15 goals against them in a month. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SRL88 View Post
    A few nice wins in pre-season.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazRTaylor View Post
    Was your goalkeeper bored dueing those pre season games?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJCFC View Post
    With such a great preseason your morale should be sky high which should give you a great start to the season.
    Thanks all. I purposely played lower clubs in my pre-season because I wanted my morale high for the 3 Champions League matches that were in between. Looks like it worked out pretty well

Youth Team

2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League

5 April 2017

Semi Final Leg 2

CD Cruz Azul 0 - 1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Whitecaps win on aggregate 4-2

Cruz Azul really took the match to us, hitting hard. We got lucky on a mad scramble off a corner in the 17th minute and, thankfully, that was all that was needed.

We now move onto playing CF Monterrey (MEX) in the CONCACAF Champions League Final!!

Youth Team

2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League

19 April 2017

Final Leg 1

CF Monterrey 2 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

In this first match away from home, we actually hit back at Monterrey very well. I don't think they were expecting difficult opposition! We went up by one in the first half off a brilliant long shot from Gallegos. We opened up a 2 goal lead, but Monterrey wasn't about to let us run away with in in the first game and stole one back in injury time.

26 April 2017

Final Leg 2

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 CF Monterrey

Whitecaps win on aggregate 6-2

Gallegos! The one man machine scored a hattrick as he led our club to our first CONCACAF Champions League title and the first one by a club from the MLS. Monterrey was met with a goalkeeper on fire in Heimann. It was just our day and no one was going to say otherwise!

Youth Team

26 April 2017

Just got my Board to agree to a bump in our junior coaching budget. Hopefully, this helps us with better Academy Apprentice intakes.

We are now listed as "Good".

Youth Team

March-April 2017 Update

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

The League

Couldn't ask for a better start! We blew New England out of the water with our first match, making that 3 times during the month of March. April started out much the same. We only had 1 home match so far, so our fans haven't had much time in our stadium now that it has been expanded but, in reality, I could easily ask for it to be expanded again as we're still selling out.

CONCACAF Champions League

First time winners and first time MLS holders of the CONCACAF Champions League!!! It feels great that our players are at a calibre second to none in the whole continent, but I already knew this. Cruz Azul gave us some problems, but Monterrey was surprisingly easier than I thought they would be.

The Standings

Transfers

12 April 2017 - traded Stephen Rodríguez to Chivas USA for a 2018 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (Chivas).

Managerial Thoughts

The same story as last year; we're on top with the Galaxy right behind us. I'm starting to wonder what else may be out there in terms of management. This club is strong and I've got the majority of the players signed for at least another year after this. Any manager should be able to step in and do well. However, I do want to see what the Club World Cup would be like. I expect I will finish this year in Vancouver, but I'll be keeping my eye on what other clubs are doing around the world as I expect 2018 may bring something new.

2013 Best FMCU Fountain of Youth Career, Marvel Draft Winner, 2014 Best FMCU Team & Career Thread

Cracking start to the season.

Youth Team

Well done on the CL victory! And a perfect start to the new MLS season too

Is this the start of a period of dominance?

Reserves

Fantastic win over the Mexicans.

Youth Team

Cracking start to the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    Well done on the CL victory! And a perfect start to the new MLS season too

Is this the start of a period of dominance?
    Thanks, SRL88, AK22, and deltablue Yeah, not much that I can complain about so far this season

Semi Pro

Great stuff! Congratulations on winning the CHampions League! The World Club Cup awaits.

Youth Team

Top stuff so far! trophies coming thick and fast.

First Team Regular

Definitely better than what Mike Bassett came up with!

Youth Team

Great stuff! Congratulations on winning the CHampions League! The World Club Cup awaits.
    Cheers, DazRTaylor! Looking forward to it, but I think I'll probably not stand up to higher level teams as North America is still not on par with other continents yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raware View Post
    Top stuff so far! trophies coming thick and fast.
    Thanks, Raware

Youth Team

20 May 2017

Cerud Heading Back to Where it all Began?

As interest in Vancouver manager Cerud grows, so to does his history in the nations that he's managed in. The latest club to look into retaining his services is back in South Korea, where Cerud's beginning into football management all began. Seongnam have recently sacked Hwang Sun-Hong and the former Incheon Korail manager seems to be the likely target for the club. However, no word from the Cerud camp as to whether he wishes to return to South Korea.

21 May 2017

Relegated Sunderland Look for a Change

Following the recent news of the firing of Julio César Cáceres with Sunderland, Whitecaps manager Cerud has been mentioned as the Board's top pick as a replacement. The drop into the Championship marks a decade in the top flight of English football. Whoever is hired will likely be expected to return the club there as soon as possible.

Youth Team

May 2017 Update

The League

Only 4 matches in league play this month, but we had a few postponed due to the Canadian Championships. I just finish with the CONCACAF Champions League last month and now I need to fight to get into it all over again! No rest! Well, the schedule has hurt us a bit and the 2 ties are due to tired players. I have a bit of a break with an international period coming up, so hopefully the squad uses it to good advantage.

Nutrilite Canadian Championship

We drew FC Edmonton in the first round, which was interesting. I was born in Edmonton so it was like getting to go home. However, I doubt they wanted me as he took good care of them. Interestingly, Edmonton gave us more problems than over half of the MLS teams we normally face! The first draw against Toronto FC showed exactly why they are only second best in the country now. They literally got nothing. The home match next month will give me a chance to rest a few players and try out a few prospects.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

Still on top, but barely. I think Los Angeles will always be right there with us. Their squad is a good one and not many teams can do anything against them. We have a match in hand, so we're probably better than the points show, but we'll need to be carefull as our schedule will push us to exhaustion. I'd love to open up some distance between us, but I don't see that happening with how good of a team the Galaxy are.

Reserves

Well done on Champions League. And so far so good in the regular season.

You're making everything look easy.

Reserves

Great start in the MLS.

Youth Team

Great achivement winning the champions league. You've had a great start to this season too, keep it up!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    Well done on Champions League. And so far so good in the regular season.

You're making everything look easy.
    Thanks, rancer. The squad is one of my best, especially given all the squad rules that MLS has.

Great start in the MLS.
    Great achivement winning the champions league. You've had a great start to this season too, keep it up!
    Thanks, deltablue and JackJCFC!

Youth Team

2017 CAF World Cup Qualifiers

3 March 2017

Group Stage

Senegal 2 - 4 Nigeria

Senegal tried to push back towards the end of this match, but it was too late. We held on for a vital win and the biggest of the qualifiers so far. This puts us back on level with Senegal on points but ahead on goal difference. A vital win indeed.

3 March 2017

Group Stage

Nigeria 8 - 0 Libya

This was a match that we were expected to dominate and we met those standards. The 8 goal difference also helped open up our goal difference over Senegal, which will be very necessary.

Youth Team

25 June 2017

Whitecaps Announce Link with Man City

Two top clubs, one great match. Three time consecutive Barclay's Premier League winners Manchester City have linked up with the Vancouver Whitecaps in a financial partnership meant to expand the brand of both clubs. Details of the deal remained undisclosed, but it is expected that the Whitecaps will receive in excess of $1 million for the partnership.

Very happy about this and completely unexpected! Our Board found this link without me asking for it and the money will definitely help.

Youth Team

June 2017 Update

The League

Still having to fight these ties and draws which are getting annoying. I was especially hoping that we would be able to hold out against the Galazy, but they stole a late goal off a disasterous pass from our leftback. Still, we have kept up our unbeaten streak, so I can't complain too much.

Nutrilite Canadian Championship

Champions! We win our second consecutive Voyager's Cup in the Canadian Championship, booking our position in the next CONCACAF Champions League once again. The home match was more difficult, but I had made several changes. I used a few prospect players to give them playing time as based on the first match, this competition was already locked up. Plus, it's Toronto...no reason to be scared.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

Los Angeles have begun to pull ahead, but they've also played 3 more matches than us. The one thing that I'm very happy about this year is our goals against. Only 8 goals against us in 13 matches. This is great as I've been using my young backup in order to give him experience and he's played amazingly. Both goalkeepers are great and signed for a few years yet, so there's no reason to think that this can't continue along for a while.

Amateur

Congrats on winning the Champions League! Solid start to the new season as well

2013 Best FMCU Fountain of Youth Career, Marvel Draft Winner, 2014 Best FMCU Team & Career Thread

Still going along nicely.

Reserves

Still got good chance to catch LA up.

Doing well.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Scarman View Post
    Congrats on winning the Champions League! Solid start to the new season as well
    Still going along nicely.
    Still got good chance to catch LA up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatTraveler View Post
    Doing well.
    Thanks all! It's been a truly great season so far. I'm very happy with this squad, although there are areas where I would like to improve. I also have a couple players wanting improved deals...DP level improved deals. Looks like I'll need a few replacements and made some trades.

First Team Squad Member
    Dat Guy Welbz is now 223 goals away from equalling Henry's record at Arsenal

congrats on the Champions League win, looks like that has given you some real big career prospects once you eventually leave 'home'!

Youth Team

July 2017 Update

The League

The break at the beginning of the month coincided with the group stages of the Gold Cup. Unfortunately (or fortunately...not sure ), my players that were called up to their respective national teams went on to the further rounds and left me severely depleted for our matches. I was using reserve players and players out of position just to put together a squad! Still we kept up our unbeaten run, including grabbing a couple ties, both off injury time goals. The New York match was lucky as the goal we got was from an own goal, but we'll take it! Definitely has been my best season so far in my career. Hoping that it continues.

The Standings

Transfers

22 July 2017 - signed Kim Falkenberg on a free transfer.

Managerial Thoughts

Still a couple games in hand on Los Angeles and we've closed the point gap to 3 points. If those 2 matches were played, we'd likely be ahead. I'm very happy that the squad has not had any morale or complancey issues given our record. The number of draws is a little annoying, but given the rest some player need in our insane schedule due to other commitments, I really can't complain.
    Last edited by cerud; 10-06-2012 at 23:17.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by PaulHartman71 View Post
    congrats on the Champions League win, looks like that has given you some real big career prospects once you eventually leave 'home'!
    Thanks, PaulHartman. Yeah, I'm happy with the Champions League title as I wanted to at least give a serious challenge with the Whitecaps. As for moving, we'll see. I am seriously considering it once this season is finished. Not sure where though, but it's nice to know that I have options

Good Month, especially when you consider you were without some key players.

Youth Team

Good Month, especially when you consider you were without some key players.
    I was worried about having so many gone on international commitments, especially since the Gold Cup lasts a while! I also had a few injuries to deal with, but we pulled through

Youth Team

2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League

2 August 2017

Preliminary Round Leg 1

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 5 - 0 CSD Municipal (GUA)

Our first match of the 2017-2018 Champions League and we begin to defend our title! Again, it was all Gallegos. His 4 goals propelled us onward, making the second leg more of a formality.

9 August 2017

Preliminary Round Leg 2

CSD Municipal 1 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Whitecaps win on aggregate 7-1

A bit of a let up in this match. I started a few younger players to give them some playing time. We did well, only giving up a goal on a penalty kick. Still, We did let them into the match, only wrapping it up in the 86th minute. We should have finished this one earlier.

The Group Stages

With the preliminary stage finished, the groups have now been drawn for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Group A
    • Alajuelense - Costa Rica
    • Comunicaciones - Guatemala
    • New York - United States
    • Pachuca - Mexico
    Group B
    • Chicago - United States
    • Cruz Azul - Mexico
    • Dirangén - Nicaragua
    • Suprissa - Costa Rica
    Group C
    • Los Angeles - United States
    • Marathón - Honduras
    • Pumas - Mexico
    • Vancouver - Canada
    Group D
    • Chivas - Mexico
    • Olimpia (HON) - Honduras
    • Reading United - United States
    • Tauro - Panama
    An alright group. Pumas have won the Champions League before and will be tough competition. We played Marathón in last year's group stages and did well. Los Angeles is always a fun match and I expect no different. Interestingly, one of our feeder clubs, Reading United, also made the cut as winners of the US Open Cup. I'm be curious to see how they do in their own group.

Reserves

Getting tight at the top.

Youth Team

Getting tight at the top.
    We're actually slowly gaining on the Galaxy. It's just that they've played more matches than us. I'm cautiously optimistic in catching up with them by the end of the season

Youth Team

23 August 2017

Group Stage

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 Los Angeles Galaxy

The first match of the group stages was against my old club, Los Angeles. I still think they harbour a grudge against me as I left for Vancouver after only 60 days. We took the match handidly, not even really letting the Galaxy do much. The vast majoirty of shots they had were wide and not going to hurt anyone.

30 August 2017

Group Stage

Pumas de la UNAM 3 - 1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Pumas handed us our first loss of the season in any competition. While we were able to match their level of play, they capitalized on their chances much better than we did. Even our one goal we did was lucky. Still, we are in 2nd place, tied with the Galaxy on points but leading in goal difference. We should qualify out of this group.

Youth Team

August 2017 Update

The League

Four league matches and four wins. I'm much happier this year that our busy schedule is not hurting our league play. Last year during this time, we were getting many ties and a few losses because of tired players. This year, I think we are managing our assets better. And as always, winning by 6 goals against Toronto is always good to do to your rivals!

A good qualifying round against Municipal saw us into a tough, but manageable group. Pumas, as shown by their win against us, will be the most difficult of the group. If we can manage a win or tie against them at home next month, I'll be very happy.

The Standings

Transfers

8 August 2017 - traded Brian Miller to the Columbus Crew for a 2018 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Columbus) and a 2019 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (Columbus).

Managerial Thoughts

We have pulled within a single point of Los Angeles now and still have two games in hand. I'm not worried about the clubs below us; the Galaxy and us are ahead of all other by a lot, including the Eastern Conference. We are still undefeated in the MLS this year. 11 matches left to go to get to the playoffs.
    Last edited by cerud; 11-06-2012 at 23:43.

Amateur

Congrats on the CL title! Though I'm saddened to see Sheanon not playing for the Union

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by cswalk08 View Post
    Congrats on the CL title! Though I'm saddened to see Sheanon not playing for the Union
    Sheanon has been good, but he's wanting higher wages now than I'm willing to pay. I've already brought in a better replacement, but no one wants Sheanon in trade. Might just have to released him on waivers.

Youth Team

9 September 2017

Group Stage

Chad 0 - 4 Nigeria

A solid win away in Chad. They only got one shot, a header off a free kick. Other than that, Chad barely even touched the ball.

Final Round

So, all that's left is the final round. The winners all advance to the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The draw is as follows.

Cameroon v Ivory Coast
    Morocco v Nigeria
    Tunisia v South Africa
    Algeria v DR Congo
    Ghana v Egypt

Morocco is the 24th FIFA ranked nation; whereas, we are at 26th place. It should be a even round.

Amateur

Going pretty strong in the league, keep it up! Pity you couldn't keep up the unbeaten season, but I suppose Pumas are a really strong team

Youth Team

Going pretty strong in the league, keep it up! Pity you couldn't keep up the unbeaten season, but I suppose Pumas are a really strong team
    Thanks, Scarman. Yeah, the fatigue is catching up to us.

Youth Team

9 September 2017

Group Stage

CD Marathón 1 - 2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Marathón gave us a more difficult match this year than last. Their only goal was from a penalty shot in injury time, but they fought hard.

27 September 2017

Group Stage

Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

A much better win against the Galaxy. I was happy to get this win, especially after they handed us our first MLS loss this season only a few days previous.

Youth Team

September 2017 Update

The League

Well...it was bound to happen sometime, I guess. Los Angeles handed us our first loss of the MLS season. The schedule has finally started catching up to us as player fatigue is setting in. We've been able to rotate the starting squad well, but an entire season of playing close to every 3-4 days...tough to do. Still, our unbeaten streak going back to last season was over 30 matches. Can't complain.

Two quality wins and have kept us 2nd in our group, only a single point behind Pumas. Qualification is likely.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

Our battle to catch Los Angeles is still the same, a couple of points behind, but still 2 games in hand. That tells you just how hectic our schedule has been. They haven't even been able to reschedule these matches that we must still play in order to catch up to a similar number of games played! But we have qualified for the playoffs, which is good. Takes a bit of the pressure off. I would like to lead the standings for the regular season though to win the Supporter's Shield again, but that's not the main prize. I'd rather be rested up for the playoffs than sacrifice for a smaller goal.

Reserves

Great getting that revenge win over Galaxy, still well poised to overtake them in the league.

Third Team

Congrats on winning the CL title,hope you can have some success in defending the title.Doing very well in the league,hope you can overtake them in the league as well to make it a brilliant season.

Youth Team

Great getting that revenge win over Galaxy, still well poised to overtake them in the league.
    Cheers, deltablue. Still feeling confident about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    Congrats on winning the CL title,hope you can have some success in defending the title.Doing very well in the league,hope you can overtake them in the league as well to make it a brilliant season.
    Thanks, BWG. I'd like to lead the regular season schedule but its not that important in the end. Making the playoffs and winning the Cup is the main prize!

Youth Team

Awesome! One of my better midfielders has been wanting DP wages for a while now, but I can't have another DP contract. I got him down to $425 000/year, but the cap is $325 000/year. So, instead of making him a DP player, I offer the $100 000 difference to his agent and he accepts! Thank you SI for sanctioning bribery in football!

Youth Team

14 October 2017

Final Leg 1

Morocco 2 - 5 Nigeria

Our first match of the final leg for CAF World Cup Qualifiers was away in Morocco. We are both fairly even in FIFA rankings. However, it was a match in which we dominated. By the half, we were up 3-0. Morocco managed to even us in second half scoring, but we keep our 3 goal difference as we head back home for the the second leg next month in a very good position to qualify.

Youth Team

4 October 2017

Group Stage

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1 - 0 Pumas de la UNAM

An unbelievable match for us! He rallied hard against Pumas at home and managed a gola off a corner. The fact that we were able to hold them off and scoreless has moved us ahead of them to top of our group!

25 October 2017

Group Stage

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - 0 CD Marathón

We never gave Marathón a chance. Mattocks has also been on fired lately. His 2 goals now make it 9 goals in the last 4 matches. He's been hungry as Gallegos has gone out injured. He's risen to fill the void.

Youth Team

14 October 2017

Cerud Has His Pick

Interest in the managerial abilities of Vancouver head coach Cerud is coming in from all sides. Clubs in Brazil, the Netherlands, and Greece are known to be considering approaches to the CONCACAF Champions League winning manager as his MLS season comes to a close. However, Cerud is still on contract for another year with his current Canadian club. It remains to be seem whether he can be enticed away from his dream job and into a higher level.

Youth Team

22 October 2017

Paraguay Want Cerud

After failing to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, the Paraguayan National Team have decided to chance their direction and philosophy. It is felt that current Vancouver and Nigerian manager Cerud is the answer. However, Cerud is in the midst of a positive campaign to qualify for the World Cup with his Nigerian side and it is unlikely that he would leave.

Youth Team

22 October 2017

Cerud Reaches 100 Matches as Whitecaps Head Coach

The upcoming match against the Colorado Rapids will mark Cerud's 100th match as manager of the Vancouver Whitecaps. In his reign, Vancouver have won two Voyager Cups in the Canadian Championship, an MLS SUpporter's Shield, and the CONCACAF Champions League. In the press conference before the match, Cerud noted the occasion.

"While I'm happy to manage the club for my 100th time, my focus is on the task at hand. This match is one of many that have put us in the commanding we are in. I treat it as one match, no different than another. However, I'd still like to win to remember it by!"

30 October 2017

BC Place to Grow for the Second Year in a Row

Apparently last year's stadium expansion was not enough for the Whitecaps. BC Place, home of Vancouver's MLS club, is slated for another expansion once the season's play finishes this year. The construction time should be quicker than last, with the project expected to be completed before the year is out.

Youth Team

October 2017 Update

The League

Well, I now know where all the postponed matches in league play were put. This was an insane month with 6 league matches and 2 Champions League matches. There was also a 10 day international break. When we did play, we had matches almost every 2 days. Needless to say, my players were crawling onto the pitch by the end of the month. Still, we managed some great wins and dominant scorelines.

The win against Pumas was amazing! It catapulted us to the top spot in our group. Interestingly, it also allowed Los Angeles to gain traction. Their final match was against Pumas and they won, meaning that the 2 teams that qualified out of our group for the Quarter Finals are us and the Galaxy! One major Mexican club...eliminated!

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

In finally playing all of our outstanding matches, we easily moved ahead of Los Angeles in the Western Conference standings and into the top spot in the entire MLS. We finish the regular season on top heading into the playoffs. Also, we gets a bit of a much needed break as the wild card spots are playing out first. Playoffs matches will likely begin in 1-2 weeks.

Youth Team

28 October 2017

Whitecaps Win 2nd Consecutive Supporter's Shield

As the final matches of the MLS regular season wrap up, point leaders Vancouver Whitecaps were awarded ther second Supporter's Shield in as many years. While they trailed the Los Angeles Galaxy for much of the season, their game difference meant that the Whitecaps held an advantage in catching and making up the point difference. Cerud spoke to media earlier today.

"The Supporter's Shield is a magnificent achievement because it highlights the often greulling campaign overe the past months. Now that the regular season's finished, we prepare for the playoffs. I've always said that the regular season is like an extended pre-season. The playoffs is the real prize. And we're ready for it."

Youth Team

Great work in the league and Champions League again, keep it up

Brilliant season thus far .

Youth Team

Congrats on the Champions League win I've always enjoyed playing the CONCACAF Champions League on FM - I think it's the contrast you get between playing teams from Belize and battling it out with the Mexican big names.

Congrats on a second Supporter's Shield. Now win the Play-offs

Reserves

Good job. Now go win the MLS Cup.

Youth Team

18 November 2017

Final Leg 2

Nigeria 1 - 4 Morocco

Tied on aggregate 6-6; Nigeria advance on away goal rule

An absolutely disgusting match! I have no idea what happened to us. We took an early lead in the 4th minute until the 20th when Morocco took over. I had one player who came off the bench to replace another who was doing bad. He ended up with 2 mistakes leading to goals and a 3.4 rating!!! 3.4!!! I've never seen that bad before.

Thankfully, they didn't score any more goals. We were able to hold on and qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia!

Reserves

Very good year.

Youth Team

2017 Season In Review

1st Place - MLS Cup Winners

The League

Standings - League | Conference
    Past Positions - League | Conference
    Fixtures - Even though we trailed Los Angeles for a lot of the season, I was never worried. I knew that once we evened out our playing schedules, the points would come. This was probably one of my best seasons ever. Only 2 losses in league play. I would have loved to hold on and go undefeated, but it wasn't meant to be. The insane schedule that I was handed due to all competitions meant that players were just worn out by that stage of the season. Our only breaks came on international breaks as we were playing pretty much in between weekend matches with other competitions. Still, we ended up on top and with our second Supporter's Shield!

The Playoffs

MLS Western Conference Semi Final Leg 1
    Philadelphia Union 4 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Uh...what? The playoffs were not supposed to start like this! Everytime we tied the match up, he Union would find a way to grab another. Their final goal came in the 93rd minute and left us no time to try and scrape one back.

MLS Western Conference Semi Final Leg 2
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4 - 2 Philadelphia Union

Vancouvere Whitecaps FC win on aggregate 7-6

We tied up the aggregate in the 7th minute and took the lead in the 9th. However, the Union were not going to go easy. They had two penalty kicks in the final 20 minutes, both from bad tackles by my rightback, Falkenberg. They got the first but thankfully hit the post on the second. Needless to say, Falkenberg sat on the bench for the next couple of matches.

MLS Western Conference Final
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 Los Angeles Galaxy

After our scare against the Union, we knew we had to show up to play. We never gave the Galaxy a chance. They barely ever touched the ball and we made good on our chances.

MLS Cup
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 - 0 Chicago Fire

The match was played in Columbus and we treated it like home pitch. Mattocks was on form as he started us early in the 5th minute. This led right to the end of the match were Vancouver won their second MLS Cup and my first!!

The Cups

CONCACAF Champions League - Champions! The first MLS Club and first Canadian club to hoist the continental trophy.

Nutrilite Canadian Championship - Champions again! We won our second consecutive Voyager's Cup to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League to defend our title there.

The Stats

Goals Scored - 119 (+ 22 from last season; 1st in league)
    Goals Conceded - 34 (- 7 from last season; 2nd in league)
    Average Attendance - 25 449 (+ 5 050 from last season; 3rd in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - It is almost impossible to pick the top players of this season because they all stepped up and did amazing. As for transfers, the $2M we received from Reis really helped us buy quality players we needed to step up to the next level.

Nelson Rivas - D C - Defender of the Year. Rivas is getting up there in age, but still has the quality to be the main piece of my defensive line.

Darren Mattocks - ST - Bringing in Mattocks from Toronto FC was two-fold. First, he's a quality striker and we needed a few. Second, he's a former Vancouver top draft pick and a club favourite. He was great all season, but his final third was absolutely dominating.

Noel Gallegos - M/AM C, ST - USA Player of the Year and League MVP. It was costly to bring his in from FC Dallas, but absolutely worth every penny!

The Backroom

Finances - We did much better this year as our increased stadium capacity enabled us better gate receipts. However, we wil be spending about another $6M to increase it again very soon.

Facilities - We increased capacity at the beginning of the season and are looking to do so again. Construction begins once the players leave for holidays.

The AwardsThe Goals Revisited
    • Win the MLS Cup - Achieved! We are the champions!
    • Win Canadian Championship - Achieved! Again!
    • Reach Semi Final of CONCACAF Champions League - Achieved! Continental Champions!
    Plans for Next Season

I'm think it may be time to leave Vancouver while I'm ahead. I've achieved what I set out to do. The main players are all signed to contracts for at least another year. The club is in the Quarter Finals of the CONCACAF Champions League and look good to defend. I believe that another manager can step in and have a great position to grow from. Plus, the stadium is being expanded again, so there should be more money coming in! I will be leaving the club in a better position than when I entered. Time to go.

But first, the Club World Cup in December! Then time to go.
    Last edited by cerud; 16-06-2012 at 00:08.

Youth Team

Great work in the league and Champions League again, keep it up
    Brilliant season thus far .
    Thanks, JackJCFC and SRL88!

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    Congrats on the Champions League win I've always enjoyed playing the CONCACAF Champions League on FM - I think it's the contrast you get between playing teams from Belize and battling it out with the Mexican big names.
    I've always enjoyed MLS and CONCACAF too. Definitely have the good, the bad, and the ugly

Congrats on a second Supporter's Shield. Now win the Play-offs
    Good job. Now go win the MLS Cup.
    Very good year.
    Thanks guys! The season ended perfectly.

Youth Team

26 November 2017

Whitecaps Win MLS!

For only the second time in their history, the Vancouver Whitecaps have hoisted the MLS Cup as champions of the league. This marks a tremendous quadruple for the club this season, having already won the Voyager's Cup, the CONCACAF Champions League title, and the MLS Supporter's Shield. Surely, the club will be able to defend their titles next year.

28 November 2017

Cerud Recognized by United States Soccer Hall of Fame

Cerud has now reach a level not many soccer coaches ever attain. Today, he was entered into the United States Hall of Fame as one of the top managers to have ever managed a club in the country. Speaking to media earlier today, Cerud expressed his surprise.

"Are you counting my 60 days in Los Angeles?? You do realize that Vancouver is in Canada...right?"

Cartographers were unavailable for comment.

Great job. They must've been very impressed with what you did in LA.

Reserves

You tell em.

Youth Team

Great job. They must've been very impressed with what you did in LA.
    You tell em.
    Oh I told them, deltablue As for LA...I'm not sure if LA is happy with what I did in LA...

Youth Team

28 November 2017

On another note...I just got a very interesting offer. This is also the first actual offer I've ever received while already employed.

Lokomotiv have no debt, no loans and a decent setup. However, they have been slipping over the past decade or so. I've delayed for a week as I really want to manage Vancouver through the Club World Cup...even though we will likely be slaughtered

I probably won't take it, but the offer is a first!

Youth Team

8 December 2017

Group Day Today

Alright, so the 2018 FIFA World Cup draw has happened and here are the groups.

Group A: Algeria, Ireland, Russia, Saudi Arabia
    Group B: England, Iceland, Japan, Uruguay
    Group C: Argentina, Belgium, Cameroon, Mexico
    Group D: Czech Republic, Nigeria, Portugal, United States
    Group E: Chile, Germany, Iran, Spain
    Group F: Brazil, Denmark, Ghana, Uzbekistan
    Group G: Colombia, Croatia, France, South Korea
    Group H: Canada, Italy, Slovakia, South Africa

We have been handed a tough group, but I believe an achievable group. However, we will need to be on our best in order to qualify beyond the group stage.

Amateur

Congrats on all the trophies!
    (I definitely wasn't rooting for Philly in the conference semi-final) What does the Union's roster look like?

Third Team

Congrats on winning the MLS Cup in what turned out to be a successful season.Good luck in the World Cup,definitely have a shot at going through but as you said,you'll have to play to your best.

Youth Team

Congrats on all the trophies!
    (I definitely wasn't rooting for Philly in the conference semi-final) What does the Union's roster look like?
    Thanks, cswalk08. Philly is alright, a "middle of the road" team. Their main DPs are Diego Costa and Rodrigo Camacho.

Congrats on winning the MLS Cup in what turned out to be a successful season.Good luck in the World Cup,definitely have a shot at going through but as you said,you'll have to play to your best.
    Thanks, BWG. Still have the Club World Cup. And some...interesting surprises there!!

Youth Team

2017 Club World Cup

9 December2017

Quarter Final

Lekhwiya Sports Club 2 - 3 Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Lekhwiya are the current AFC Champions League title holders. The media ranked us fairly evenly with them, so I went in confident of a good showing and it started right from the beginning with a goal by Boateng 41 seconds into the match for us! However, Lekhwiya fought back and scored a couple to take the lead from us. Fortune changed after they missed a penalty shot and we tied up the match in the 50th minute. Lugo finished off the win with a penalty shot of our own late in the match.

14 December 2017

Semi Final

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - 0 Manchester City

Man City are the current UEFA Champions League holders and our parent club as well. This was to be our end; Man City would roll over us and we would go home thankful for the opportunity just to play, or so the script said. However, no one gave it to us!! Rajkovic scored off a brilliant header off a corner to gave us the lead in the 22nd minute. For some reason, Man City was never able to get into the match. When they had the ball, the passed circles around us, but we hit when it counted. The 75th minute saw Lugo get our insurance goal after a mad scramble in the 16 yard box to give us the unexpected win! We book our place in the Final!

Youth Team

2017 Club World Cup

17 December2017

Final

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4 - 2 SC Corinthians Paulista

Champions

A complete loss for words. I didn't expect to win a single match in this competition. The Vancouver Whitecaps are world champions! What was that? Right. The Vancouver Whitecaps are world champions!

The match began with Corinthians taking the early lead in the 14th minute. I figured, "Okay. Here we go." However, we hit back immediately off a corner in the 17th minute and quickly took the lead in the 19th minute. Suddenly, this was a different game. A brilliant cross in the 38th minute led to a 2 goal lead. I was hoping to hold onto this going into the half, but Corinthians clawed one back in extra time. Still, we led going into the break 3-2.

The second half was a nervy affair. It began with both sides trying to find space but neither giving it up. And then, disaster. Bamba, my leftback took a second yellow card and was forced off the pitch. You could hear the hearts of Canadians and underdog supporters everywhere breaking. But we weren't done. Lugo took advantage of some found space and gave us an insurance goal in the 69th minute with only 10 men.

That's how it ended and us held the Club World Cup. The first for a CONCACAF club!
    Last edited by cerud; 13-06-2012 at 22:25.

Third Team

Wow

Massive congrats on that achievement,absolutely sensational!

Amateur

Huzzah! Truly phenomenal! This must be e"vancouver" (even cooler) than where you possibly saw the season going.

Youth Team

Wow

Massive congrats on that achievement,absolutely sensational!
    Huzzah! Truly phenomenal! This must be e"vancouver" (even cooler) than where you possibly saw the season going.
    Thanks, BWG and cswalk08. Yeah, I don't think I said a word from the Man City match to the end of the Corinthians one I was too scared too!

Youth Team

18 December 2017

BC Place Expansion to Include Ground Improvements

As BC Place gets ready to expand their capacity by another 4 000 seats, they will also be adding in under-soil heating. In a phone interview with Cerud, he said,

"Under-soil heating? They do realize we have a retractable roof to counter adverse weather conditions, right? Well...I guess if you have money, might as well spend it..."

Last edited by cerud; 14-06-2012 at 01:59.

Amateur

Fantastic achievement winning the Club World Cup! Showing your parent club whose the boss as well

Reserves

Well done cerud! Is this your final year at the club?

Not a bad way to leave Vancouver, eh?

Youth Team

Fantastic achievement winning the Club World Cup! Showing your parent club whose the boss as well
    Take that, Mancini!

Well done cerud! Is this your final year at the club?
    Not a bad way to leave Vancouver, eh?
    Well, you know what they say about "All good things..."

Youth Team

27 December 2017

Cerud Leaves 'Dream Job' for New Challenge

In what he had previously called 'his dream appointment', Canadian manager Cerud has left his post with the Vancouver Whitecaps. While expected by many, the success of the club in the CONCACAF Champions League and Club World Cup had many wondering whether he may have changed his mind. He spoke earlier to media in a press conference in front of BC Place.

"Helping to guide the Whitecaps to Canadian Championships, MLS Championships, and continental and world success has been more than I set out to accomplish here. What we have been able to do here has showcased the city to the football world. When Italy, South Korea, or Nigeria think of football, they will now think of Vancouver and Canada.

I also feel that it's my time to move on. This club is well situated for someome new to inject new blood, new ideas, and new philosophies in order to keep it growing. I have no plan! No idea as to where I will end up. But when I get there, I'll tell them of what we did here together in Vancouver."

The time has come. There is nothing left to win or lose. I leave without an agenda or direction. Come what may.

Managerial Club Record

Plans

Looking at want ads.

Youth Team

2017 International Year in Review

Nigerian National Football Team

FIFA Ranking - 19th

The Standings

World Rankings | Past Positions - I took over the Nigerian National Team on 19 February 2017 so I've had so time to get to know the squad. We have also grown our ranking as we have qualified for the FIFA World Cup this coming year as well.

The Competitions

FIFA World Cup CAF Qualifiers - My first match with Nigeria was against Chad in this qualifier. We broke a few records with our historic 8-0 win. It also led us on a road to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in 2018 in Russia.

Friendlies - Only a single friendly match so far under my reign. A solid 4-0 win against Egypt.

2018 Preview

FIFA World Cup - Be competitive.

Reserves

Wow, what a triumph to (white)cap off a great time with Vancouver.

Youth Team

Great work with Nigeria, hopefully you can have some sucess at the world cup.

Maybe you can make the knockout stages in the WC?

Youth Team

Wow, what a triumph to (white)cap off a great time with Vancouver.
    Thanks, deltablue! Figured I'd leave on a high

Great work with Nigeria, hopefully you can have some sucess at the world cup.
    Maybe you can make the knockout stages in the WC?
    I hope that we can make it past the group stage and our group draw makes it possible. Not easy, but possible.

Youth Team

8 March 2017

Cerud Returns to Football in Málaga as Spalleti Joins Napoli

The hiring of Luciano Spalleti with Napoli had opened the job at Málaga for Canadian-born manager Cerud to enter back into European football. Cerud, having left Vancouver three months ago, claimed that he was excited to return to club football. With only 13 games left in the season, Cerud still have every chance of a successful season. Málaga are in the finals of the Copa del Ray and sit in 6th place, more than enough to claim a Europa League spot. 4th place Sevilla are 8 points ahead of Málaga, so Champions League play may be too far removed for this season.

In speaking to the media, Cerud stated, "Spain is the global epicentre of world football. To be offered the opportunity to manage in this proud nation speaks to the huge amount of trust that [Chairman] Fernández has put in me. I intend to repay it. Málaga are a strong club with a rich history, but have not won this top league yet. Looks like we've got some work to do!"

Málaga C.F., S.A.D. - Liga BBVA

My contract is a whopping $1.8M/year for 3 years!!! These guys got money! I've never managed in Spain before, so there are a few new things. Such as, my reserve team is it's own club? Eh...I'll figure it out.

About the Club

Málaga C.F. began in 1948 and are the predecessor of CD Málaga. They have played in European football before, but have not had any success in winning anything, domestic or abroad. That needs to change.

The club is in good shape with decent finances and no debt. However, the club has spent most of their available cash this season on players. Wage budgets may also be too high.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1948
    Nickname: Los Bosquerones (The Anchovies)
    Fierce Rivals: Sevilla, Betis
    Other Rivals: Cádiz, Granada

The Stadium - La Rosaleda

Year Built: 1941
    Capacity: 28 963 all-seater
    Owner/Rent: $2/year

Facilities

Corporate: Adequate
    Training: Average
    Youth: Adequate
    Junior Coaching: Adequate
    Youth Recruitment: Above Average

An alright set up, but definitely room for improvement. A $2/year rent is great, but I'd rather we owned the stadium so that we could expand it. Might have to look into that. Anyway, here is La Rosaleda.

Currently, the club has been having a great season. There were expected to finish in 8th place and have been above that. They are also in the final for the Copa del Ray, my first opportunity at a Spanish cup!

13 matches left. Time to see what I can do.
    Last edited by cerud; 14-06-2012 at 18:36.

Semi Pro

Cracking move mate

In my save, Malaga won the league a few years ago

Reserves

Good luck with Malaga cerud. Hopefully you can break the dominance with the historically two big clubs!

You probably have a LOT of money!!

Youth Team

2017-2018 The Takeover

Málaga C.F., S.A.D. - Liga BBVA

The Stats

Liga BBVA: Achieve a respectable position (will not be judged this year)
    Copa de Su Majestad El Ray Don Juan Carlos: Reach the semi final (will not be judged this year)

Media Prediction: 8th of 20

Wage Budget: $56 537 230
    Currently Spending: $52 547 124
    Transfer Budget: $6 737 301

Main Kit Sponsorship: $4.83M (expires 2019)
    General Sponsorship: $499K (expires 2019)
    General Sponsorship: $447K (expires 2018)
    General Sponsorship: $429K (expires 2019)
    General Sponsorship: $550K (expires 2019)
    General Sponsorship: $550K (expires 2021)

Average Ticket Price: $44.80
    Average Season Ticket Price: $558.00
    Season Ticket Holders: 23 344
    Estimated Value: $66M

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - The club has done well, but there's a few too many losses in there for me.

Goals
    • Qualify for UEFA Europa League
    • Win the Copa del Ray
    A short list, but doable. We are in a Europa qualifying spot right now and I aim to keep it. Our opposition in the final for the Copa del Ray is CD Tenerife, from the league below us! I will expect nothing less than a win.
    Last edited by cerud; 14-06-2012 at 22:43.

Youth Team

Cracking move mate

In my save, Malaga won the league a few years ago
    Thanks, DazRTaylor! I think they could do it again

Good luck with Malaga cerud. Hopefully you can break the dominance with the historically two big clubs!
    Cheers, rancer. I hope so too.

You probably have a LOT of money!!
    A lot indeed! Much money than I had with the salary cap in Vancouver and imposed by the MLS.

Reserves

Malaga? Nice

Amateur

Good luck in Spain!

Amateur

Good luck! Hopefully you can bring the same success to Malaga you brought to Vancouver

Youth Team

Malaga? Nice
    Good luck in Spain!
    Good luck! Hopefully you can bring the same success to Malaga you brought to Vancouver
    Thanks, guys!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast