+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [FM 12] The One, The Only, The...Cerud??

Reserves

Very steady so far in Serie B.

Great job so far!!

Part-Timer

Great stuff! I remember reading somewhere that Pro Vercelli have won more Serie A titles than Lazio, Napoli and Fiorentina combined, so the pressure's on to achieve! Keep up the good effort.

International Squad

Pro Vercelli were one of the top teams in the early days of the Italian league.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Very steady so far in Serie B.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatTraveler View Post
    Great job so far!!
    Thanks, deltablue and TheGreatTraveller!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Great stuff! I remember reading somewhere that Pro Vercelli have won more Serie A titles than Lazio, Napoli and Fiorentina combined, so the pressure's on to achieve! Keep up the good effort.
    Cheers, Dave. Yeah, Pro Vercelli have won 7 Serie A league titles between 1908 and 1922.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Pro Vercelli were one of the top teams in the early days of the Italian league.
    Indeed. One of the top who have fallen on hard times.

Youth Team

27 October 2014

Toronto FC Wants Cerud

Last place finishes are starting to become the norm for Toronto FC, but Chairman Richard Peddie wants to beat the odds. René Vandereycken was fired earlier today, paving the way for Peddie to offer the job to someone new. Several names have been introduced as alternatives, including Jan Wouters, Dave Dir, and Franky Van der Elst; however, it is Po Vercelli manager Cerud who has emerged as the frontrunner. While a move to Toronto would return Cerud to his native Canada, he has been unavailable for comment.

Last edited by cerud; 21-05-2012 at 01:40.

Youth Team

October 2014 Update

U.S. Pro Vercelli Calcio 1892 - Serie B bwin

The League

Starting the month with two losses had me believing that we were headed for where everyone though we were supposed to be, a relegation battle. However, we pulled back with a great win against Nocerina and should have won in Grosseto. I'm actually happy that there's matches in this league that I expect to win, even when we don't. It makes me confident that we belong here and that we can continue to do better.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

We are now a quarter of the way through the season and in 10th place, a great achievement for a club of our stature and reputation. However, we are very leaky in back. Our goals against has us on par with clubs in the relegation zone. My attacking side is doen well; if I can just fix the defense, we could really make a run in this league. I'm thinking much of the problem is my main goalkeeper. I've had Rocchi on my team since the beginning. He was one of my first signings when I took over management of the club. However, he's letting things slip. My new back up, Jordan Hantz, is younger and doing much better. I may be forced to see Rocchi off in the January transfer window.

In other news, I've begun to see my name attached strongly to the Toronto FC job in the MLS and also with the San Jose Earthquakes. Not planning on moving yet, but if I get an offer, I will take a look at it.
    Last edited by cerud; 22-05-2012 at 08:04.

Amateur

Looking good at the moment, some pretty decent wins there especially against Nocerina!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Scarman View Post
    Looking good at the moment, some pretty decent wins there especially against Nocerina!
    Cheers, Scarman! I was especially happy about that one

Youth Team

November 2014 Update

The League

I've learned that I must do one of two possible things. One, I need to stop the massive amount of offside goals I have. Or two, I need to pay off the referees to a higher amount of what other clubs are doing. Not sure which. After about 5 goals denied due to offside, I started counting. This month, I had 15 goals counted offside in addition to the first 5 or so, for the grand total over 20+ offside goals in 6 matches. Ludicrous? Yes. Still, the final three matches went great, even though I needed to score 17 goals or so in each matcs just to have 2 per each count ;)

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

Amazingly, we're up to 6th place! I have no idea how we're holding up at this level but we are. In addition, we are only 2 points away from 3rd place. This has been an amazing run in Serie B so far and I'm curious about how the next month will shape up as it should mark the season's halfway point.
    Last edited by cerud; 22-05-2012 at 08:03.

Reserves

Might even make the playoff.

Youth Team

Might even make the playoff.
    We'll see, deltablue Still a lot of season to go.

Youth Team

December 2014 Update

The League

We took quite a fall this month. Still having problems with offside goals. The Empoli match was especially frustrating. They have 20+ shots on my net yet their only goal came from one we gave them. We put it in our own net. Apparently I can score against myself, but the 2 goals I scored against them were both disallowed yet again. Clubs must love playing me...

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

The season is a match off of being at the halfway point now. I'm happy at what we've accomplished so far. I truly believed that we would be in a survival battel for this campaign yet we are finding ways to stay at the mid-table. The table is also fairly tight and a playoff position is not entirely out of the question. It will depend on how well a 3rd place team does because if they finish with a high point difference between them and 4th place, there is no playoff and they are promoted automatically along with the 1st and 2nd place clubs. Realistically, I'm hoping for a top 10 finish now. I believe we can do it; however, if we can solve the defensive issues, higher is plausible as well.
    Last edited by cerud; 22-05-2012 at 08:03.

Reserves

4 points separating 4th from 11th!

Youth Team

4 points separating 4th from 11th!
    I know! It's a crazy table. A win or a loss and my club can move quite a lot in the table. Hoping just to maintain, but I'll take higher ;)

Youth Team

January 2015 Update

The League

Our best month yet in Serie B!! Our first match was against league leaders Varese away from home. Going into the half, we were tied 2-2. They were outplaying us in terms of control, but the majority of their shots were from outside the box. I appealled to the players in the break and they came out and took the game to Varese. It was an unbelievable performance! Bocalon broke his goalless drought at 18 hours and Coralli went on to get 2 hattricks this month. Ascoli, the 2nd placed club, fell to us as well. Not only did we take all possible 12 points, we did so beating the top two clubs. Not bad for a month's work.

The Standings

Transfers

I brought in three players during the break, two signings and a loan.

Jérémy Deichelbohrer - GK - Our backup was now better than our first squad goalkeeper. Rocchi was let go and Deichelbohrer brought in. He comes from the lower Swiss leagues. Not sure what he was doing down there, but he's ours now.

Giacomo Biondi - D C - Biondi is our loan signing from Florentina in Serie A. I want to quell the number of goals scored against us and together with Deichelbohrer, I hope these two can help.

Álex Cruz - M/AM R - Cruz was made available to me by his agent. I signed him on a free transfer to replace the rotating right wingers I was using beforehand. I actually brought him in in December and he's been on a tear in the league so far.

Managerial Thoughts

With the four wins this month, we have pushed back into possible playoff contention. In addition, our wins against the top two clubs has brought us close in points to them, only 3 points off 2nd and 5 points off the top spot, both being automatic promotion spots. Now, I'm not considering those right now I just want to perform like I know we can. Our new signings should help us lower the number of goals scored and, hopefully help us hold onto a few more wins. Already, I can't complain about how this season has unfolded. I can't help but be cautiously optimistic on a playoff spot... Crossing my fingers!
    Last edited by cerud; 22-05-2012 at 03:55.

Amateur

Fantastic month! That win will teach Catania to injure your players at the start of a season ;)

Youth Team

Fantastic month! That win will teach Catania to injure your players at the start of a season ;)
    Indeed! Thanks, Scarman!

Youth Team

February 2015 Update

The League

Ugh...what a way to follow up our fantastic January. We threw away every lead we had. I think this also marks my first month as a manager without a win. Time to drink whatever the Italian equivalent of gin is...

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

We did pretty bad this month. Thankfully, so did everyone else! I think the top half of the table just went through a crisis of faith. We are still only 4 points off of 2nd place. I'm also comforted by the fact that top place Noverina has only 1 fewer goal against than us. Even though it looks like my defense is leaking, so too is everyone else's. It crazy how close this table is. If I look at clubs within 5 points of me, that would include 2nd to 14th place. Yet another season that will inevitably come down to the wire.

Youth Team

13 March 2015

Cerud Reaches 100 Mark Milestone with Pro Vercelli

The ucoming match against U.S. Grosseto F.C. will mark Cerud's 100th match as manager of Pro Vercelli. As he reaches this centennial mark, Cerud has turned the once storied club into a true contender in Italian football yet again. Two back-to-back promotions have the Bianche Casacche in Serie B bwin and fighting for more. Speaking to media, Cerud marked the occassion.

"Pro Vercelli has been a great ride. What we have been able to achieve here together is laudable. However, I don't see it as the end. Pro Vercelli was the most awarded club of its time 100 years ago. It would be nice to see the club returned to where they rightfully belong."

Youth Team

2014-2015 Youth Candidates

Youth Candidates

There's a few candidates that have potential. Probably one of my better youth intakes.

Giuseppe Trabucco - D LC - Nothing really stands out too much, but he has decent levels across the board.

Fabio Olivetti - M R, AM RL - I like his acceleration and pace right now. Should continue to improve to have speed down the right side.

Loris Vason - M C, AM RC - Pretty happy with his physical stats all around.

Youth Team

March 2015 Update

The League

We were able to get back to our winning ways this month. Our loss against Nocerina was to the top club in the league, but should have only been a draw. They were awarded a penalty that never was. Even my tirade in the media afterwards was met by silence from the Italian FA. Still, 3 clean sheets is a very good set of results.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

In 3rd place and only 4 points off top spot. Never would I have thought this would be a possibility with only 10 matches left to go in the season. I am now stating explicitly that I want to at least make the playoffs. Ideally, an automatic spot would be great, but I don't want to get greedy just yet. It's interesting to see that it's not just us from the the Prima Divisione that's doing well. Cittadella who were promoted along with me is sitting in 6th place, the final playoff spot. This could shape up to be an interesting final quarter of the season!

Youth Team

April 2015 Update

The League

Alright, we're back on schedule and our winning ways. I'm happy with only 2 goals against in 4 matches. Taking on Siena was especially good as we lost to them earlier in the season and they were ahead of us in the standings. However, these 4 wins so late in the season have really shook the table.

In other news, Claudio Coralli has just broken a club record that has stood for over 100 years, since 1912. He now has scored the most goals in a season.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

Uhh...what?!?! We are sitting in the top spot with 6 matches left to go. When we took out Siena, we jumped over the top two clubs and moved to top spot based on goal difference. Another win and we're now beginning to move up. Again, I don't want to be overconfident, but.... ;)
    Last edited by cerud; 23-05-2012 at 00:46.

Youth Team

1 June 2015

Beerschot AC Want Cerud

With Jos Daerden taking over the job at Standard, Pro Vercelli manager Cerud has emerged as the frontrunner for the newly vacant position at Beerscot AC. Cerud, who is currently in the midst of the final stretch of the Serie B bwin season, has been playing the opportunity cool, declining to comment.

1 June 2015

Cerud Moving to England?

With Jos Daerden taking over the job at Standard, Pro Vercelli manager Cerud has emerged as the frontrunner for the newly vacant position at Beerscot AC. Cerud, who is currently in the midst of the final stretch of the Serie B bwin season, has been playing the opportunity cool, declining to comment.

Last edited by cerud; 23-05-2012 at 02:47.

Youth Team

3 June 2015

European Interest in Cerud Heats Up

Cerud has now emerged as the frontrunner to take over Swansea City now that Mike Phelan has taken over managerial duties at Tottenham Hotspur. The Pro Vercelli manager has become a hot commodiy for several clubs now, including other Premier League side QPR. It remains to be seen if the talented manager will look beyond Italy or not.

Youth Team

2014-2015 Season in Review

2nd Place - Automatic Promotion

The League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - An unbelievable season that has now given us 3 promotions in a row! We have the top spot for the last few games, but just couldn't hold onto it. Still, a second place finish is an automatic promotion so we'll take it. If you look at our Past Positions graph, you can see how we became a better club as time progressed. I also think that our signings in the Januay transfer window helped immensely. With this, we now return Pro Vercelli to Serie A football!

The Cups

TIM Cup - We were out of this competition before our season even started. Serie A side, Cesena, took care of us pretty easily.

The Stats

Goals Scored - 93 (- 4 from last season, 1st in league)
    Goals Conceded - 53 (+ 9 from last season, 11th in league)
    Average Attendance - 4 125 (+ 721 from last season, 16th in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - There was significant movement in the squad at the beginning of the season due to back-to-back promotions. I expect I'll need to do it all over again now.

Matteo Bianchetti - D C - Bianchetti continues to grow into a top defender. He also contributes his fair share of goals off of set pieces.

Najib Ammari - M/AM L - When I brought Ammari in to run the left, I never thought that he'd grow with the club. Yet, here he is, still improving every year. He is a danger every time he has the ball, not only in setting up other players, but in scoring as well.

Riccardo Bocalon - ST - Bocalon still had a good year. While goal production went down, he still had 16 in all competitions. However, he was able to transition his game into a playmaker, with 15 assists.

Claudio Coralli - ST - Coralli broke our club record for most goals and the league record as well. He was a commanding presence on the pitch. He hasn't shown his age yet either, so I believe he has at least another good year in him.

The Backroom

Finances - We're making money now!

Facilities - Still the same. However, I did just get upgraded Junior Coaching.

The AwardsThe Goals Revisited
    • Don't get relegated - Achieved. Yeah, took care of that.
    • Get fullback players - Achieved. One even made Team of the Year.
    • Make a profit - Achieved and we're officially in the black now.
    Plans for Next Season

I have signed a new one year contract at $300 000/year. However, I am thinking about looking for a new challenge. The three jobs that my name was attached to - Swansea City, QPR, and Beerschot AC - have all been filled by others without an offer being sent to me. That's fine. I'm not sure where I'll look to move to of even if I will. It might be good to play a season in Serie A, I'm not sure yet.

On another note, I've finally been made a Favoured Personnel! I guess all it takes is 3 promotions.
    Last edited by cerud; 05-06-2012 at 08:09.

Reserves

Not sure why being linked to Swansea would be in a Yorkshire paper ;) Was wrong on the playoffs but in a good way.

Youth Team

Not sure why being linked to Swansea would be in a Yorkshire paper ;) Was wrong on the playoffs but in a good way.
    Sure sure. Just using what news agency pops up when I get it in my inbox. I'm using the Real Names for Clubs, Awards, Competitions, etc mod and it includes one for news agencies. Must be from that.

Youth Team

1 July 2015

Pro Vercelli Hiring as Cerud Exits

In a surprise announcement, Cerud has made public his resignation as manager of Pro Vercelli. Following his departure are Alfonso Azurza and Jérémy Denquin, two coaches on Cerud's backroom staff. After three promotions, the club has returned to Serie A TIM football. The whiplash of Pro Vercelli fans has been of shock and sadness. Earlier today, Cerud attempted to clarify his position.

"I have just returned from a meeting with [Chairman Mssimo] Secondo and handed him my resignation. My time with Pro Vercelli has been marked with triumphs. I have enjoyed my time at the club but feel that new challenges lie elsewhere. I appreciate the fans' contributions and know that they have a club to be proud of and to continue to be proud of."

Cerud leaves Pro Vercelli winning Manager of the Year once during his time there.

While this probably comes as a surprise, especially after I let go three potential jobs last month, I feel ready to move on. My stop in Italy has helped build my reputation to the point where I have some say in where I go to next. There's still a few places I want to go to before I make a bid for the top clubs and now is the time to do it.

Managerial Club Record

Plans

Time to find a job! I'm not sure where I'll end up, but it's likely that I'll be unemployed for a bit given tha most jobs have been filled.

Reserves

That was another great success.

Youth Team

6 July 2015

Cerud moving to South America?

Argentinos has parted ways with Ricardo Caruso Lombardi after a season ending in relegation. The focal candidate that has emerged is newly unemployed manager Cerud. He has been unavailable for comment.

22 August 2015

Cerud Speaks on Los Angeles Galazy Job

The firing of Aaron Winter has left the Galaxy without a manager and Cerud has been made the most likely candidate. In addition, and a surprise for the normally quiet Cerud, he has declared interest in the job. This marks the first time Cerud has openly commented on job opportunties anywhere.

"Los Angeles is a club that is underachieving. I would welcome the opportunity to offer my expertise in reviving them."

Amateur

Los Angeles could be a hell of an adventure! Bringing some Galacticos to Galaxy and trying to fit in salary cap.

And Eurosport's logo.

Reserves

Looks like you need to revive the lost Galaxy.

Galaxy could be very interesting.

First Team Squad Member
    Usually found in Southend stalking RickyButton

Managing in America is a very different experience, almost like being in a different galaxy...

Third Team

Missed quite a bit,well done with Pro Vercelli and good luck at Galaxy.MLS is always a good amount of fun to play

International Squad

Excellent job at Pro Vercelli Cerud. I would have had a crack at Serie A myself though.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by nie jem frytek View Post
    Los Angeles could be a hell of an adventure! Bringing some Galacticos to Galaxy and trying to fit in salary cap.

And Eurosport's logo.
    Looks like you need to revive the lost Galaxy.
    Galaxy could be very interesting.
    The Galaxy do seem truly lost. Their squad is depleted. I wonder how they even field a decent starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulHartman71 View Post
    Managing in America is a very different experience, almost like being in a different galaxy...
    The North American experience makes sense to me, but I'm also Canadian, so the whole world of drafts, playoffs, etc. are in all our team sports. It adds a unique layer, even though it does remove the whole promotion/relegation battle, which I do love too.

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    Missed quite a bit,well done with Pro Vercelli and good luck at Galaxy.MLS is always a good amount of fun to play
    Thanks, BWG!

Excellent job at Pro Vercelli Cerud. I would have had a crack at Serie A myself though.
    Yeah, I thought about it, but had a bit of a falling out with the Board and Chairman over wage budgets. There are individual players that make more money in a season than what I was being offered as a wage budget for Serie A. I took it as kind of an insult.

Youth Team

27 August 2015

Cerud Takes Over the Galaxy

In a move that has been expected for some time, Canadian head coach Cerud has officially moved to MLS. The recent firing of Aaron Winter began speculation that the unemployed Cerud would be seeking the Los Angeles job and was further fuelled in a recent press conference Cerud gave a few days ago stating his intentions to return to soccer management. As he was presented in front of the Home Depot Center, Cerud stated:

"Coaching in the MLS has always been a dream for me and now I have that opportunity. The Galaxy have been a fixture in this league and are one of it's most successful clubs. My goal is to return that sense of glory and give LA yet another sports team to be proud of."

Los Angeles Galaxy - Major League Soccer

I enjoy managing in the MLS. I find the thrill of the drafts exciting; I like trading players and speculating on multi-team deals. I grew up in a town where the NHL ruled all and hockey was a way of life so long is involved the colours of copper and blue (Go Oilers!). Moving to the MLS is something that I wanted to do and I figured now was the opportunity.

I've signed a deal until the end of 2016 at $1 000 000/year, my first million dollar contract! The Galazy are awash in money, so they can afford it.

About the Club

The LA Galaxy were created from other local clubs with the inception of Major League Soccer in 1996. They were one of ten teams in the league's inaugural season, which was created as part of the United States' bid to host the World Cup in 1994. While the team continued to be one of the better one's in the league, it was the signing of David Beckham in 2007, that began to make the MLS a serious league. The Los Angeles Galaxy were instrumental in the creation of the Designated Player rule, also known as the "David Beckham" rule, which has enabled the league to grow while still retaining a salary cap.

In this history, the club has won two league MLS Cups, three US Open Cups, and the CONCACAF Champions League once.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1996
    Nickname: Galaxy
    Fierce Rivals: Chivas USA
    Other Rivals: San Jose, DC Unted

The Stadium - Home Depot Center

Year Built: 2003
    Capacity: 27 000 all-seater
    Owner/Rent: $750K/year

Facilities

Corporate: Average
    Training: Top
    Youth: Good
    Junior Coaching: Average
    Youth Recruitment: Above Average

Here is the Home Depot Center.

The club is doing alright. Not good, not bad...just mediocre.

There's only 8 matches left in the season, so I'm not hoping out for a miracle. I figure we'll regroup and get ready for next year.

You should atleast be able to challenge for a play-off spot this season.

Semi Pro

Also you need to add have a son in the Achievements anyways looks like a really good thread i will keep my eye on it

Reserves

I'm shocked Winter managed to get 37 points from that team before he got sacked!!!

Who are your DPs?

Youth Team

You should atleast be able to challenge for a play-off spot this season.
    Should be possible, but the squad is really hurting. WOuld be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by toonbalmy87 View Post
    Also you need to add have a son in the Achievements anyways looks like a really good thread i will keep my eye on it
    Cheers toonbalmy87! Although getting a son in this is more like a miracle instead of an achievement given how difficult it is to even become Favoured Personnel now. Thanks for following

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    I'm shocked Winter managed to get 37 points from that team before he got sacked!!!

Who are your DPs?
    I'm shocked Winter got any points! My DPs right now are Robbie Keane, Juan Manuel Olivera, and Juliano. They're both signed until the end of 2016. I may try to change this later on but I still need to do a fully assessment of my squad.
    Last edited by cerud; 25-05-2012 at 05:24.

Youth Team

2015 The Takeover

The Galaxy have already played 26 matches of a 34 match season, so not much left to go.

The Stats

Major League Soccer: Win the MLS (will not be judged this year)
    Lamar Hunt US Open Cup: Not regarded as important

Wage Budget: $16 415 610
    Currently Spending: $6 370 374
    Salary Cap: $3 254 867
    Spending minus Allowance: $3 126 739 ($128 128 cap space available)
    Allocation Funds: $690 853

Kit Sponsorship: $2.4M (expires 2018)
    Additional Kit Sponsorship: $186K (expires 2018)
    Additional Kit Sponsorship: $186K (expires 2017)

Average Ticket Price: $30.00
    Average Season Ticket Price: $458.00
    Season Ticket Holders: 7 890
    Estimated Value: $175M

Standings - League | Conference
    Past Positions - League | Conference
    Fixtures - The playoffs are still possible; however, I don't see us having a good showing there. The squad's morale is horrible and it will take a while for the club and I to get to know one another.

Goals
    • Hire a backroom staff
    • Make the playoffs

Not much else I can strive for this late in the season.
    Last edited by cerud; 25-05-2012 at 17:43.

Reserves

I expected things to be worse.

Youth Team

I expected things to be worse.
    Thanks, deltablue ;) Somehow, this depleted squad was able to scratch out a season. I still think the squad need an overhaul, but I'll have to work with some of it for a while as I don't think other teams will trade for these large contracts.

Semi Pro

Cheers toonbalmy87! Although getting a son in this is more like a miracle instead of an achievement given how difficult it is to even become Favoured Personnel now. Thanks for following
    I know what you mean i was doing a challenge where i as at a club until 2041 i was a Legend in there information part Won EPL Chmpions League all the major cup with a team that started at the bottom of the English tier so BSQS and yet the didnt rename a stadium after me and i didnt have a son grrr :mad:

Anyways good luck with Galaxy i like the MLS but never seem to get a good player in the draft

Amateur

Good luck at Galaxy!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by toonbalmy87 View Post
    I know what you mean i was doing a challenge where i as at a club until 2041 i was a Legend in there information part Won EPL Chmpions League all the major cup with a team that started at the bottom of the English tier so BSQS and yet the didnt rename a stadium after me and i didnt have a son grrr :mad:

Anyways good luck with Galaxy i like the MLS but never seem to get a good player in the draft
    Thanks, toonbalmy87. I've had some luck in the draft in a save I had earlier with the Vancouver Whitcaps. Hopefully, I can renew some of that at the Galaxy

Good luck at Galaxy!
    Cheers, Scarman!

Youth Team

Nice move to LA - time to turn them around and boost your rep a bit. Get rid of Robbie Keane and bring in a decent DP, the you'll be fine ;)

Youth Team

Just catching up here, cerud...

Well done on a great final season with Pro Vercelli; you certainly peaked at the right time! Personally, I probably would have had at least one season in Serie A, but the LA Galaxy job is pretty high profile and you'll have a decent chance of winning some trophies there. Good luck!

First Team Squad Member

Only 8 games to go but looks like you could still make the play-offs, especially if the club achieve the 'new-manager form' that most do following a new manager!

International Squad

Sign Beckham.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    Nice move to LA - time to turn them around and boost your rep a bit. Get rid of Robbie Keane and bring in a decent DP, the you'll be fine ;)
    Thanks, DodgeeD. Looking for the rep boost and just love the opportunity to manage in MLS. Robbie Keane is still listed as 4.5 stars, but he looks very injury prone now.

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    Just catching up here, cerud...

Well done on a great final season with Pro Vercelli; you certainly peaked at the right time! Personally, I probably would have had at least one season in Serie A, but the LA Galaxy job is pretty high profile and you'll have a decent chance of winning some trophies there. Good luck!
    Yeah, I figured it was the right time to go. A season in Serie A would have been nice, but when the Board offered me a wage budget that other teams use for a single player, I knew my days were numbered. The Galaxy is a high profile club and should be fun!

Only 8 games to go but looks like you could still make the play-offs, especially if the club achieve the 'new-manager form' that most do following a new manager!
    We'll see, PaulHartman71 I've been taking a bit of a break and the wife and I have had relatives visiting, but should get back into it soon.

Sign Beckham.
    Alas, he retired in 2013.

Semi Pro

I came in here expecting to see your rise to Serie A...instead you're in the States. A surprising move but I guess you know when you're ready to move on.

Good luck in bringing back the glory to LA (and understanding those MLS rules! ;) Being a Canadian, you should have no trouble understanding them though!)

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Raware View Post
    I came in here expecting to see your rise to Serie A...instead you're in the States. A surprising move but I guess you know when you're ready to move on.

Good luck in bringing back the glory to LA (and understanding those MLS rules! ;) Being a Canadian, you should have no trouble understanding them though!)
    Thanks, Raware Yeah, MLS rules makes sense to me because drafts, etc. are similar to the NHL and other North American sports.

Youth Team

August-September 2015 Update

The League

I joined for the final match in August so this update will cover that and September. This first month was a good introduction into North American soccer. However, while we are scoring a lot, our defense is bad. We have 1 centreback and barely any defense in general. This is our main problem but we won't be able to do much until the off-season.

The Standings

Transfers

Given the nature of trades in MLS, I've decided to highlight the chronology of any we do each month.

30 August 2015 - traded Diego Sainz to Houston for a 2016 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (Houston) and a 2017 SuperDraft 2nd Round pic (DC United).

2 September 2015 - traded Jay Nolly to Sporting Kansas City for a 2016 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (Chivas USA).

2 September 2015 - traded Clyde Simms to DC United for a 2017 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (DC United) and a Supplemental Draft 3rd Round pick (DC United).

4 September 2015 - traded $30K in allocation money and a 2017 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (DC United) to Seattle for Moises Whitfield.

Managerial Thoughts

The Western Conference has us up to 2nd place. We are in a good position for the playoffs so I'm just hoping that our defensive woes don't hurt us in the final few matches.
    Last edited by cerud; 28-05-2012 at 02:12.

Amateur

Strong start, looking likely for a play-off spot. How many games in a season?

Youth Team

24 October 2015

Cerud Back to Europe?

Despite Los Angeles Galaxy manager Cerud's recent success in turning around that club, speculation has already begun that he will back on his way to Europe to manage Greek side AEK Athens. The Greek club recently sacked Giorgos Donis from teh position and have begun looking for an immediate replacement. Cerud has been unavailable for comment.

Youth Team

Strong start, looking likely for a play-off spot. How many games in a season?
    Cheers, Scarman! There's is 34 matches in a season and then the playoffs afterwards for the teams than qualify.

Youth Team

October 2015 Update

The League

Our final month of the regular season saw us continue our unbeaten record; however, we did drop two matches to draws. We did have some strong opposition, including the Supporter's Shield winners Sporting Kansas City. They put Jay Nolly in net, who we had just traded to them. He showed exactly why we traded him.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

And so we finish in 2nd place in the Conference and qualify for the semi-final stage of the playoffs. Our first game will not be scheduled yet until they figure out who our opposition will be. That's will come in the following weeks ahead.

However, we did get some other good news...

Reserves

Convincing qualification.

Part-Timer

An interesting career move there! A very decent start with the Galaxy though, in with a decent chance of winning the title.

Great Job in finishing Top3, gives you the chance to be further up on the Play-offs and a bigger chance of winning the title.

Third Team

Excellent start to life at LA Galaxy.Good luck with whoever you get in the playoffs.

Youth Team

Convincing qualification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    An interesting career move there! A very decent start with the Galaxy though, in with a decent chance of winning the title.
    Great Job in finishing Top3, gives you the chance to be further up on the Play-offs and a bigger chance of winning the title.
    Excellent start to life at LA Galaxy.Good luck with whoever you get in the playoffs.
    Thanks all! The Galazy have done much better than I thought we would, given that we have a single centreback, a youth leftback, and more centre midfielders than the entire league needs ;)

However, there's been a development...

Youth Team

26 October 2015

Cerud Gone in 60 Days

While the Galazy may be scratching their heads as to Cerud's resignation made public earlier today, the rumours around the league have this move as the makings of something bigger in the works. In Cerud's brief tenure with the Los Angeles club, he managed to move them into a playoff spot. However, one of the worst kept secrets in MLS has always been Cerud's love for another club.

Earlier today, the Vancouver Whitecaps announced that longtime manager Martin Rennie would be stepping down after a disappointing season. Cerud, who had been attached as a possibility to the Whitecaps job a few years ago, is seen as the likely candidate for the position. The news of his resignation with the Galaxy seems to have confirmed rumours. It is unknown if the Whitecaps has approached Cerud as of yet or even if he has applied for the position.

I know that this is probably a shock move, but the Vancouver job is one that I simply cannot let go. I haven't been given the job yet, but I have applied and am considered the likely candidate. Their performance this year was bad, but they have a much better squad set up than the Galaxy did, in the fact that they actually have players!

I hope that the job is mine; however, there has also been news that San Jose has sacked their manager, Frank Yallop, another Canadian. He has also stated publically that he wants the Vancouver job. I hope I wasn't premature in my decision...

Managerial Club Record

Plans

Vancouver or bust!

Youth Team

6 November 2015

Cerud Heading Back Home

With the opening of the Vancouver Whitecaps head coaching position, it seemed like a perfect match for a prodigal son to return. Cerud has accepted the top job with the Whitecaps in a small ceremony outside of BC Place. In a press conference, where he was introduced by Chairman Bob Lenarduzzi, Cerud welcomed the opportunity.

"When I first visited Vancouver when I was twelve, I fell in love with this city. I knew that one day I would live here, but I just didn't know how that would work or what I would do. Twenty-three years later, I think I've figured it out. I have been a fan of the Whitecaps since their days in the NASL. Now is the time to transform this club into a consistent contender, not just in the MLS, but in CONCACAF as well. That is what I intend to do."

Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Major League Soccer

I have just signed a deal until the end of the 2016 seeason for $450 000/year. I have a few things I want to take care of while I'm here. The first will be to bring the Whitecaps up into a contender for the MLS Cup and the Voyager Cup in the Canadian Championship. And if I have to crush my former Galaxy club in the process, all the better!

About the Club

The recent revival of the Vancouver Whitecaps began in 2009; however, the club itself has existed since the mid 1970s. This introduction into the MLS was a rocky one, finishing dead last in their first season. The club celebrated this first MLS Cup in 2013, but have been unable to return.

The club has also won two Voyager Cups in the Canadian Championships, the first in 2012 and the second in 2014.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1974
    Nickname: The Whitecaps
    Fierce Rivals: Seattle
    Other Rivals: Portland, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact

The Stadium - BC Place

Year Built: 1981
    Capacity: 21 000 all-seater
    Owner/Rent: Vancouver Whitecaps

Facilities

Corporate: Good
    Training: Average
    Youth: Good
    Junior Coaching: Adequate
    Youth Recruitment: Average

Here is BC Place.

Unfortunately, FM12 is not able to fully recreate BC Place in terms of capacity. It's capacity is 21 000 for soccer; however, it has the ability to open to 54 320 for larger matches. The roof is also fully retractable.

Reserves

Welcome home.

International Squad

Quote Originally Posted by cerud View Post
    Alas, he retired in 2013.
    I mean Brooklyn.

Reserves

Welcome home. Lose to TFC though, we need points.

Youth Team

Welcome home.
    Thanks, deltablue

Welcome home. Lose to TFC though, we need points.
    Cheers, rancer ...and NEVER!! ;)

Youth Team

28 November 2015

Cerud Still in High Demand

With the recent sacking of Nenad Gracan, Croatian side NK Osijek have begun the search for a new manager. Again, perennial managerial favourite Cerud has emerged as the frontrunner. However, rather than his normal coyness, Cerud did issue a statement.

"While I am flattered at the level of interest in me, I have no desire to leave my post with the Whitecaps before I've presided over a single match."

Undoubtably, the Vancouver Board will be pleased at this blunt statement of position.

Youth Team

12 December 2015

Just a couple of quick updates. We're wheeling and dealing in the transfer market. I will post an update closer to the SuperDraft.

In the mean time, I've negotiated a few things with my Board...

Third Team

Good luck with Vancouver,hope you can eventually turn them into a success story

Youth Team

Blimey... another club! Good luck again

Youth Team

Good luck with Vancouver,hope you can eventually turn them into a success story
    Thanks, BWG.

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    Blimey... another club! Good luck again
    I know, I know...! But I had to! They're my team!

Youth Team

2016 Academy Player Intake

MLS clubs get new players in multiple ways. There is the SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft. There is also each individual club's Youth Academy where young players are brought into the club on Academy contracts.

Here is this year's intake:

Stefan Cucca - AM L, ST

Tim Xausa - D RL, WB R

John Hadzic - D/WB R

Yeah...nothing really to say. Our academy better start putting out better players. Hopefuly our junior coaching increase will help.

Youth Team

2016 Pre-Season

The Stats

Major League Soccer: Be competitive in the MLS
    Nutrilite Canadian Championship: Win the Canadian Championship

Wage Budget: $3 806 234
    Currently Spending: $4 310 010
    Salary Cap: $3 409 786
    Spending minus Allowance: $1 944 301 ($1 465 485 cap space available)
    Allocation Funds: $1 003 725

Kit Sponsorship: $3.61M (expires 2016)
    Additional Kit Sponsorship: $121K (expires 2017)
    Additional Kit Sponsorship: $101K (expires 2019)

Average Ticket Price: $32.10
    Average Season Ticket Price: $413.00
    Season Ticket Holders: 15 951
    Estimated Value: $56M

National Club Ranking in USA: 17th

Goals
    • Draft well - I have 3 1st Round picks!
    • Make the playoffs
    • Win the Canadian Championship

The Canadian Championship has to be a priority as it decided which club for Canada qualifies for the CONCACAF Champions League. It's a short competition, with only 4 clubs in it, so I can finish it off quick and get back to concentrating on the league. I'm also very happy with having 3 1st Round picks. I have the 4th, 5th, and 12th picks overall.
    Last edited by cerud; 30-05-2012 at 23:37.

Youth Team

3 January 2016

2016 Summer Olympic Games Heats Up as Cerud Takes Canada U23s Job

The success that Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Cerud has had in club soccer is exactly what the Canadian contingent is hoping to bank on as the Games come up in a few months. The CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Round is starting in two months and no nation has qualified yet. In accepting the job, Cerud stated:

"The Olympics Games is an opportunity to represent one's country. While head coaches can manage wherever, I've always dreamed of taking Canada into international competition. These boys have trained for a long time. I aim to see us into these Olympics."

Canada Under 23s - Canadian Soccer Association

We have the CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifiers coming up in early March. First priority is to create a squad. The groups are as follows:

Group A: Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, United States
    Group B: Cuba, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico

We should qualify from our group above Costa Rica and El Salvador. The United States may be tricky.
    Last edited by cerud; 29-05-2012 at 23:18.

First Team Squad Member

interesting career move, can understand your decision to go your hometown club though. good luck with them and the Canada u23 side, hope to see you in the olympics

Youth Team

interesting career move, can understand your decision to go your hometown club though. good luck with them and the Canada u23 side, hope to see you in the olympics
    Thanks, PaulHartman71 Yeah, with the 2016 Olympics this year, I figured this would be a great way to gain some international management experience quickly. The Qualifying Rounds are in a couple months with the Olympic themselves soon after. Then I can quit the U23s as they have nothing else to do for another 4 years.

Youth Team

2016 MLS SuperDraft and Supplemental Draft

MLS SuperDraft

1st Round2nd Round3rd RoundMLS SuperDraft Grades
    • Houston - A+
    • Chivas USA - A+
    • FC Dallas - A+
    • Seattle - B+
    • San Jose - B+
    • Portland - B
    • Los Angeles - B
    • Sporting Kansas City - C+
    • New York - C+
    • Real Salt Lake - C+
    • Chicago - C+
    • DC United - C+
    • New England - C+
    • Philadelphia - C+
    • Vancouver - C+
    • Toronto FC - C
    • Columbus - D
    • Colorado - E
    MLS Supplemental Draft

We waived all of our draft picks in the Supplemental Draft as there were no players would be able to make the squad.

Reserves

You got some solid picks. They should all play a part of the team in the upcoming season.

Youth Team

You got some solid picks. They should all play a part of the team in the upcoming season.
    Thanks, rancer. I like my 1st round picks and Rodríguez and Green should get some playing time. I have a lot of midfleiders and will need to unload, but I can at least tutor Silver. Stephens may see some time too as I need a backup right winger. The other two will likely get released on waivers before the season, but we'll see.

Youth Team

That was quick!! Hard to resist the hometown club as PH71 said. Best of luck with the Whitecaps. Interesting move with the U23 job as well.

Amateur

That stadium looks good. In terms of finances, how different are LA Galaxy to Vancouver?
    Do you have any designated players?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    That was quick!! Hard to resist the hometown club as PH71 said. Best of luck with the Whitecaps. Interesting move with the U23 job as well.
    Yeah, I think fans in Los Angeles may be feeling a little bit of whiplash ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney FC06 View Post
    That stadium looks good. In terms of finances, how different are LA Galaxy to Vancouver?
    Do you have any designated players?
    BC Place just underwent a massive overhaul last year in real life. The Whitecaps share the stadium with the BC Lions, Vancouver's team in the CFL, the Canadian Football League (North American football...you know? the sport where they have to talk to 4 minutes to figure out the next 4 seconds of play? ;) )

As for as finances go, both teams are doing well. LA has a lot of money, about $75M; whereas Vancouver has just under $20M. However, Vancouver also just bought their stadium before I came to the team and has no loans or debt.

My DP players are Marinho and Alejandro Bedoya. I've also just signed Bedoya to a longer contract. I may let Marinho go at the end of the season to try and get someone new. He just doesn't seem to find well within the current squad.

Youth Team

2016 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Soccer Qualifiers

8 March 2016

United States U23s 1 - 0 Canada U23s

We were lucky to only lose by one. This was our first match, so our tactical knowledge was poor. Thankfully our defensive game was good, to which I attribute to 3 of my players at Vancouver. I have 3 Whitecaps players in my squad, all defenders. They and our goalkeeper kept us in this game and the competition.

10 March 2016

Canada U23s 4 - 0 Cost Rica U23s

A much better game! Our tactical knowledge increased dramatically to an adequate level. While the match stats show a fairly level game in which we edged, the level of play on the pitch showed us well on top.

Youth Team

12 March 2016

Canada U23s 6 - 1 El Salvador U23s

We took an early lead adn then things started to get out of hand. El Salvador started playing for blood, injuring 3 of my players in the last half of the match and forcing me to 10 players on the pitch due to previously made substitutions. It's didn't slow us down as 2 of our goals came with only these 10 men.

Group A Table

So, the final group table has us qualifying for the semi-final round just below the United States. CONCACAF has two nations that qualify for the Olympics, so we only need to win the semi-finals and we will qualify. However, our likely opposition will either be Mexico or Honduras, both good footballing nations. We're not finished yet!

Mexico or Honduras should be tough.

Reserves

Honduras would be far better.

Youth Team

17 March 2016

Mexico U23s 3 - 0 Canada U23s

This match was simply a one-sided slaughter. The first half sent us crying in the corner. We held them in the second half to an even draw, but it wasn't enough. The better squad advanced through.

Final

Mexico U23s 4 - 0 Honduras U23s

So, not even the United States advanced. The two likely nations to move on to the Olypmics qualified.

Youth Team

2016 Off-Season Transfers

Squad | Transfers - The MLS is always a busy place for trades, especially with the multiple drafts and the ability to trade anything that's not nailed down. We also made some good money in this off-season with the movement of one of our players to Norway.

Chronology

5 December 2015 - traded Michel Amon to the Philadelphia Union (USA) for a 2016 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Philadelphia).

2 January 2016 - traded $3K in allocation funds to FC Edmonton (Canada) for Robbie Rajkovic.

5 January 2016 - signed Blair Gavin on a free transfer.

5 January 2016 - traded Mancuso to Sporting Kansas City (USA) for a 2016 SuperDraft 2nd Round pick (Kansas City) and a 2017 Supplemental Draft 1st Round pick (Kansas City).

5 January 2016 - signed Jorge Villafaña on a free transfer.

7 January 2016 - MLS SuperDraft

12 January 2016 - MLS Supplemental Draft

21 January 2016 - signed André-Pierre Gignac on a free transfer.

21 January 2016 - signed Niclas Heimann on a free transfer.

21 January 2016 - traded $35K in allocation funds to Sporting Central Academy FC (Jamaica) from Roscoe Gallimore.

21 January 2016 - signed Nelson Rivas on a free transfer.

21 January 2016 - signed Matías Sánchez on a free transfer.

6 February 2016 - traded Nick DeLeon to Molde FK (Norway) for $2.4M.

10 February 2016 - traded Casey Townsend to Real Salt Lake (USA) for $725K in allocation funds, a 2017 SuperDraft 1st Round pick (Salt Lake), and a 2017 SuperDraft 3rd Round pick (San Jose).

13 February 2016 - signed Scott Bolton in a Weighted Lottery.

2 March 2016 - released Juan Francisco, Pablo Ponce, and Keith Stephens on Waivers.

3 March 2016 - released Stefan Cucca, John Hadzic, and Tim Xausa on Waivers.

3 March 2016 - MLS Waiver Draft
    Last edited by cerud; 03-06-2012 at 22:32.

Youth Team

2016 End of Pre-Season

The Matches

Canada - Vancouver Thunderbirds - won 3-0
    United States - Knoxville Force - won 8-0
    South Africa - Bay United - won 2-0
    United States - Seattle Sounders - tied 1-1
    Canada - Toronto FC - won 3-2
    Canada - Victoria United - won 7-1

Pre-Season Thoughts

We have definitely built a better squad with more depth, strong leaders, and good youth prospects. Our pre-season went well, but now it's time to test in the actual league. I think a playoff spot should be considered a minimum.

In other news, I've also begun to see my name attached to jobs in England's Championship League, France's Ligue 1 Orange, Spain's Liga Adelante, and Portugal's Ligo ZON SAGRES, to name a few. I'd like to stick around to see Vancouver into the CONCACAF Champions League, but if an offer comes that is simply too good.... ;)
    Last edited by cerud; 31-05-2012 at 03:50.

Youth Team

26 March 2016

Cerud Steps Down from Canada U23s

After a hard fought challenge for an Olynpic spot and failing to achieve one, Cerud has stepped down as manager of the Canadian U23s squad. The resignation was expected as the squad disbands to join either the senior or U20 squads. Speaking to the media earlier today, Cerud stated:

"The opportunity to coach for Canada was a dream come true. I only wish we could have beat our expectations. However, both Mexico and Honduras are quality squads. We knew that it would be a difficult match regardless of who we faced. The second half against Mexico was a good one for the boys, but we needed 90 minutes, not 45 minutes. But we'll be back in four years, stronger and more hungry."

Given that the Under 23s will not play any more matches for 4 years, setting down was a no brainer. I wish we would have qualified, but playing Mexico was always going to be difficult. I may go into international management again, but I'm not actively looking for it right now.

Managerial National Record

Plans

No international management plans now, just working on moving the Whitecaps up the league.

Youth Team

March 2016 Update

The League

Only two matches in March to begin the season, but we performed well. Began our campaign with a win away to New England and a tie to FC Dallas. I was hoping we would hang of for the Dallas match, but they scored in the final quarter.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

We're still early in the season, so there's not too much to say. Now that I've left my position with the Canadian U23s, I can devote all my time to the Whitecaps.

Reserves

Solid work to get some good players at a non-DP pricetag.

Youth Team

Solid work to get some good players at a non-DP pricetag.
    Thanks, rancer. I was very happy to sign the players I did at non-DP prices. However, I did have to bribe their agents a bit ;) Stilll blows my mind that FM allows us to pay agents directly in MLS, especially since in real life that would have me in jail.

Youth Team

April 2016 Update

The League

A very good month even though it ended with our season's first loss. We have showed that we can score goals from all over and from many contributors. The Real Salt Lake loss stung, but they are considered a top team.

The Standings

Managerial Thoughts

Still a very tight Western Conference. We are getting close to a quarter of the season in and the draw for the Canadian Championship will likely be the coming month. This will congest the schedule a bit, but I think we have the depth to match it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast