+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Champs League Semi Final - Leeds 14 - Barcelona 2

Third Team

Default Champs League Semi Final - Leeds 14 - Barcelona 2

I know this is wrong. Just wondering why?

I suppose FM will want PKM files - not really sure what they are. I have the before save and the after save.

The only edit I did to the data base was invent a player, but he's not even playing. I don't usually win games like this.

But with 10 men ...

Seems to be a common problem - from what I've read previously on the forums - you win a Big game with 10 men by a ridiculous margin.

Part-Timer
    Playing FM here: http://fm-fmo.weebly.com

Kinda puts Leeds 7 Chelsea 0 in the shade a bit

Amateur

Is that really the only edit though? Seems hard to believe you could sign all those players in 3 years...

Amateur

That's what I was wondering. Seems more at play, reputation boost, finance boost..

Third Team

Nope.

Got a sugardaddy in 2nd season.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Tyson View Post
    Nope.

Got a sugardaddy in 2nd season.
    Do you miss Ken Bates?

I'm in my second season and Leeds almost got taken over by a tycoon but it fell through. I'm not Leeds though.

Third Team

Amateur

Show who you transferred out.

Amateur

With that team the result isn't that surprising.

Part-Timer

I must be crap at scouting, I haven't heard of half them players. I start in the Championship aswell and I've not heard of any of your first season signings. Mind you I just set scouts to cover all available regions and a competition each and don't bother scouting nations individually. Good price for Bale by the way.

To be honest I would rather not have a sugardaddy as I enjoy improving a bit at a time over quite a few seasons and would get bored like that. Are you glad your were taken over?

Third Team

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by marty78 View Post
    I must be crap at scouting, I haven't heard of half them players.
    Only through some notes I have from playing the game before, really.

Good price for Bale by the way.
    The season before I bid €80m and it was rejected lol

To be honest I would rather not have a sugardaddy as I enjoy improving a bit at a time over quite a few seasons and would get bored like that. Are you glad your were taken over?
    I didn't want one really. I started at Leeds to eventually get them to champions league in a 10 - 15 year plan. This was going to be my long career save. I was planning on perhaps winning a Europa Cup and moving on. Hadn't really decided.

But all of a sudden I had a €130m kitty.

Third Team

Just in case people don't believe me about sugardaddy

Third Team

Here's how I mostly find my youth players

This doesn't work all the time.

But if you go to the World>Overview>World

Then sort by Youth Intakes - and choose the Month that it happens in, usually March.

Scroll down to some big name clubs.

Here is a 14 year old worth €1.8m

He's probably got great potential.

Then I'll scout him for a while. Probably until he's 16 or 17 to see how he's getting on.

If they're already 16 or 17 I'll scout them 2 or 3 times and see if the fit in.

Ajax also are a good team to check their youth intake

I usually check PSV and Feynoord too.

Along with Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Anjil, Liverpool, Barcelona, Malaga, Real Madrid and a few others.

Usually find a few gems. Some aren't and are sold off.

Eugene, cant say anything about the match, without seeing it, hence why they'd want the PKM. But the first issue is the seeming inability of the AI to use their one man advantage. Not saying there are not more issues but couldn't say without watching how they attack/defend. Having said that its a pretty stellar team that could accomodate for the loss of a man.

Part-Timer

I didn't know you could search youth intakes like that. You learn something new every day.

Part-Timer

Just in case people don't believe me about sugardaddy

Is that way a better way to get great young players turn in to world class players instead of having scouts search them?

I hopein fm13 they let you select to scout all the players on the list, without having to pick who you want scouted.
    Last edited by toon army 06; 03-05-2012 at 23:49.

Third Team

strange things happen.
    i have just had AI newcastle beat chelsea 8-1

Reserves

Theres no point questioning how the OP managed to get that team. You couldnt pick a team of 10 players from the whole world that would be able to put 12 goals past barca in one match, thats what should be the focus of this thread

Barca isn't actually the greatest team defensively. If you were SOMEHOW able to dominate possession AND have their defenders, critically Puyol and Pique and midfielders Busquets and Mascherano, to have a bad day, then it could theoretically end up with a score like this

Remember Man City 6 Man U 1? Man U 8 Arsenal 2?

Third Team

12-0 is about as daft as it gets though, something has gone horribly wrong in the match engine to generate that kind of scoreline.

Amateur

Considering the millions of matches being played on the match engine, I'm not surprised results like these happens from time to time.

Third Team
    I don't have an ignore list. I am not a little kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    12-0 is about as daft as it gets though, something has gone horribly wrong in the match engine to generate that kind of scoreline.
    Agreed, if that was my team who won by that scoreline I would look to remove that supertactic downloaded thing or just delete the save. That is crazy

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by scott MUFC View Post
    strange things happen.
    i have just had AI newcastle beat chelsea 8-1
    That's very true. After the defeat, I was told in the news media that it's their biggest defeat since Athletico Madrid (12-1). I couldn't find the match though (dead link) and I wasn't too bothered in checking it out.

I think it was referencing this match 12–1, Athletic Club Bilbao 12–1 FC Barcelona in 1930–31, in La Liga.

Records meant to be broken, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by ri916 View Post
    Theres no point questioning how the OP managed to get that team. You couldnt pick a team of 10 players from the whole world that would be able to put 12 goals past barca in one match, thats what should be the focus of this thread

That's exactly it. I was expecting to go out of the game. Considering I had West Brom in the Final of the FA Cup and I was classed as underdogs.

I won the final 4-3, after a last minute goal. Pesky Shane Long always plays well against me.

But Messi can't beat me.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-the-victorious View Post
    Barca isn't actually the greatest team defensively. If you were SOMEHOW able to dominate possession AND have their defenders, critically Puyol and Pique and midfielders Busquets and Mascherano, to have a bad day, then it could theoretically end up with a score like this

Remember Man City 6 Man U 1? Man U 8 Arsenal 2?
    No they're not really. But I was down to 10 men. In fairness though I think I was 4-0 up before the sending off. The goals kept rolling in.

Technically, Barcelona should have bossed the midfield, I only had Bale, M'Villa and Vadillo in midfield. How Barca didn't captialise on that I don't know.

Yeh I remember those scores, but did Man city or Man U only have 10 men for those games?

Freak results happen, but I think there's something up with the match engine (see pic below of another GREAT victory from a previous save, where I went 10 men albeit with a much better team).

Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too. There's some exploit happening if you're down to 10 men. I totally agree. I've seen this happen before with FM12.

Quote Originally Posted by vlobben View Post
    Considering the millions of matches being played on the match engine, I'm not surprised results like these happens from time to time.
    Agreed, and disagreed. There's permutations, then there's probability, then there's the law of averages.

I wouldn't even know how to calculate the odds on getting a scoreline like that, against Barcelona.

Where a scoreline like that really should be guestimated at around a 1,000,000,000/1 - I feel something within the match engine actually increased my odds of winning the game, rather than decreasing my odds, when I went to 10 men.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by ReggaeBwoy View Post
    Agreed, if that was my team who won by that scoreline I would look to remove that supertactic downloaded thing or just delete the save. That is crazy
    At no point was a "supertactic" used.

My tactic is simply to put players into position, I assign them their best duty and role. And I don't even bother with the Tactics Creator, Free Kick setups or any of that.

Just leave them as is.

I've had this before, in another save, using a different formation.

And in this Save I had not created any players, not created any edits to the player database.

Something just goes screwy with the Match engine sometimes when you're down to 10 men in a big match.

Third Team

At no point was a "supertactic" used.

My tactic is simply to put players into position, I assign them their best duty and role. And I don't even bother with the Tactics Creator, Free Kick setups or any of that.

Just leave them as is.

I've had this before, in another save, using a different formation.

And in this Save I had not created any players, not created any edits to the player database.

Something just goes screwy with the Match engine sometimes when you're down to 10 men in a big match.

I give credit for the results, but something surely is wrong with the match engine. Even for the person who battered Barca with 14 goals with ten men, it would sitll be an issue if thatw as the same scoreline with 11 or even 14 men. I have never seen a result like that in my save but god knows, maybe it is do with the way people use the editor or something similar

Third Team

Can I just add - the Man U v Barcelona scoreline.

That was the Champs League Final.

I am slightly disappointed in the results. Basically I expected a much more "realistic" outcome. I was prepared to do battle.

I had just got a fresh cup of tea. I had my jaffa cakes propped on a plate beside me. Settling down for the Champs League Battle with Barcelona, where I did OK in the first leg!

Finishes 14-2 on Agg.

Same thing really happened with the Man U Barca game. I was settling down, early Sunday morning, cooked myself a nice fry of sausage bacon, eggs, beans, toast, nice cup of tea. Sit down to play Man United in the Champions League Final! And I win 7-0.

It does kinda take the gloss off it in a weird way. It's nice to win by that much. And even nicer with 10 men. But it just didn't feel real.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by x42bn6 View Post
    You are bound to get someone in this thread saying it's not a bug because it can happen in real-life, so it is not a bug. Do you want to hard-code in the game that Leeds can't beat Barcelona?!!?!?!?11

Stop whining and go back to playing your game.

It is happening quite often with him and other people so there

First Team Squad Member

Yeah winning the champs league final by that score line completely devalues the achievment. I thankfully havent seen any 12-0's or anything close really, but i feel winning 5-0 in a champs league semi final away from home defeats the purpose of the comp so i can only imagine what 12-0 is like.

Amateur

14 SoT, 12 goals!

Amateur

As much as I like to see Barca get stuffed like this, I have to admit I'm more amused at you selling Robinho back to Citeh.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
    14 SoT, 12 goals!
    Fish in a barrel.

Part-Timer
    Playing FM here: http://fm-fmo.weebly.com

Can I just add - the Man U v Barcelona scoreline.

That was the Champs League Final.

I am slightly disappointed in the results. Basically I expected a much more "realistic" outcome. I was prepared to do battle.

I had just got a fresh cup of tea. I had my jaffa cakes propped on a plate beside me. Settling down for the Champs League Battle with Barcelona, where I did OK in the first leg!

Finishes 14-2 on Agg.

Same thing really happened with the Man U Barca game. I was settling down, early Sunday morning, cooked myself a nice fry of sausage bacon, eggs, beans, toast, nice cup of tea. Sit down to play Man United in the Champions League Final! And I win 7-0.

It does kinda take the gloss off it in a weird way. It's nice to win by that much. And even nicer with 10 men. But it just didn't feel real.

Aye, total immersion ruiner. To me this sort of thing is far worse than having my team hammered 12-0 because I know how weak and easily exploitible the AI is. Like you, I don't tinker with tactics for that reason. I couldn't get any satisfaction with a winning result like that because despite what Mr 1% may say, that simply would never happen without a serious match engine flaw. I'm one for looking back at stats and records on my game history and something like that would seriously have me thinking about replaying the fixture just to keep a bit of realistic integrity to my game.

I recently watched an AI Valencia beat an AI Anderlecht 14-0 in a champions league QF game (albeit Valencia didn't have anyone sent off until it was 6-0), but even though my team wasn't invloved I reloaded my save and replayed it so it produced a more realistic outcome (3-1 on that occassion, and it remained 11v11). Results like that can happen in RL, but knowing the problems this current ME has with playing againts 10 men, and defending in general, I suspect the achievement of such results has nothing to do with realism at all - hence a reload.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jolanthustrel View Post
    As much as I like to see Barca get stuffed like this, I have to admit I'm more amused at you selling Robinho back to Citeh.
    He had a min release clause of 27.5m.

He was 31 I think. Good riddance.

I had younger better players coming through. He was a stop gap player until I could figure out which of my youth team would break through. So a decent striker for 13m was nice, he could play left or right wing too, a nice utility player.

I wasn't arsed renegotiating his contract, if City wanted a 31 year old striker for €27.5m - then good luck.

Amateur

Wow, whoever was in goal for Barca had a complete nightmare.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus1876 View Post
    Results like that can happen in RL, but knowing the problems this current ME has with playing againts 10 men, and defending in general, I suspect the achievement of such results has nothing to do with realism at all - hence a reload.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I have gone too far into the close season now to think about going back though.

I have the pre- and post-save of the game for SI.

Just want to know how I get the "PKM" I keep hearing about. Or if there's anything else I need to give to SI so they can at least look at it.

They might find the exploit and perhaps fix it for FM13 - I understand there won't be any more hotfixes or patches at this point.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by cemendur88 View Post
    Wow, whoever was in goal for Barca had a complete nightmare.
    It was Victor Valdes - he scored an OG for the last goal. TAXI FOR VALDES!

I'll upload the player stats for the match when I get home.

Third Team

Just want to know how I get the "PKM" I keep hearing about. Or if there's anything else I need to give to SI so they can at least look at it.
    Click in match restult >>> Match Controls >>> save game

Third Team

Great, I'll give that a whirl.

I do think it was due to some sort of ME exploit. I'll upload files to the Match Engine Bugs and link back to this thread later this evening.

Cheers for all your thoughts guys (and gals?)

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Your stadium seems to have developed incredibly in 3 years, 53,000 gate?

Third Team

Yeh the new owners like. I'm getting another 1,009 seats this season.

Sugardaddys.

Third Team

It's the first time ever in the history of me playing Football Manager that a club I manage actually got a Sugardaddy.

It's nice and all. It wasn't what I was going for before I started the save.

Third Team

Marian Horny. \0/

Third Team

Hmm remind me not to Google that name at work again lol.

Yeh he seemed to have bags of potential, and played really well. Unfortunatley, I had been trying to sign Alan Marín for a few seasons, but could never get a work permit.

When I signed Marín, he plays so well that Marian could not get a game in.

I sold him off and have a 30% of next sale. If he goes for big money later on in the game I'll get a nice bit of cash.

Not that I need it.

Youth Team

Can't believe we STILL have apologists reminding us of some pre-war goalfest to "prove" there's always a remote chance of Barça getting annihilated by a 10-men side after all... ???

Seriously, even if it was a one in a billion occurence is STILL absurd and it should definitely get looked at if the red card is sometimes triggering a "god mode".
    It's a mood killer and for some even a game killer...

Winning is everything, but if success can be achieved by adopting an unrefined tactic and just waiting for AI clubs to sabotage themselves or the ME to screw things up

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by RBKalle View Post
    it should definitely get looked at if the red card is sometimes triggering a "god mode".
    It's not usually, I've had dozens of matches involving red cards which don't result in extremes like this.
    It seems there's something peculiar to this match and although it's not an isolated incident it is the exception rather than the rule.

Amateur

I wonder if it's about AI tactics or morale of both teams, or maybe both?

Third Team

People complain when their team loses, now we have people complaining when they destroy Barca with 10 men. I feel so sorry for SI!

I'm also starting to think that managing Leeds is really easy, judging by threads over the last few days.

Third Team

For the record. I'm not complaining.

But I've seen it reported before that with 10 men you can destroy a team.

Seems like there's something wrong with how the results are calculated from time to time with regards to red cards and the team being down to 10 men.

It's not a complaint, but rather that something that SI can look at to see if they can make the game better.

That's what we all want, right?

Third Team

Sorry I forgot to put a safety wink to denote my sarcasm.

I wish my team would play better with 10 men but it never happens.

For the record. I'm not complaining.

But I've seen it reported before that with 10 men you can destroy a team.

Seems like there's something wrong with how the results are calculated from time to time with regards to red cards and the team being down to 10 men.

It's not a complaint, but rather that something that SI can look at to see if they can make the game better.

That's what we all want, right?
    Its not really the case that you destroy them usually, merely that they don't seem to take advantage of the extra man, in my experience anyway. This result is something different though. You wouldn't expect it with 11 men. Would love to see the pkm. Not really sure what to make of it though.

Amateur

Such a shame you had this ruin your game really. After you pull off a magnificent 2-2 draw at the Nou Camp, you completely lose immersion in your second leg. Shame. It rather ruins the achievement of your first leg performance.

Part-Timer

amazing win eugene

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by themadsheep2001 View Post
    Its not really the case that you destroy them usually, merely that they don't seem to take advantage of the extra man, in my experience anyway. This result is something different though. You wouldn't expect it with 11 men. Would love to see the pkm. Not really sure what to make of it though.
    I suppose I could make it available on my dropbox later.

Quote Originally Posted by Piethief100 View Post
    Such a shame you had this ruin your game really. After you pull off a magnificent 2-2 draw at the Nou Camp, you completely lose immersion in your second leg. Shame. It rather ruins the achievement of your first leg performance.
    It ruined the experience of the champions league semi final - for sure. The game isn't ruined. I'm going to stick at LEeds until I've done 10 seasons. I have youth players I want to try and develop before I move on.

Quote Originally Posted by FMtillidie View Post
    amazing win eugene
    Thanks

dont know if its already been said .. but clearly you have a superb team anyway..

and the fact you've scored 3 before the send off even happened will contribute drastically to barca giving up...

their is a distinct surge when you go down to 10 men though for sure..

either way.. i wouldnt worry about it.. the score is cosmetic as you were already 3 goals ahead before the red card..

nice work though Eugene, great team you've built

Whats with your team and red cards any way?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by welshace View Post
    dont know if its already been said .. but clearly you have a superb team anyway..

and the fact you've scored 3 before the send off even happened will contribute drastically to barca giving up...

their is a distinct surge when you go down to 10 men though for sure..

either way.. i wouldnt worry about it.. the score is cosmetic as you were already 3 goals ahead before the red card..

nice work though Eugene, great team you've built
    You were clearly going to win anyway, so as Welshace says don't worry too much about it affecting your overall game.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-the-victorious View Post
    Whats with your team and red cards any way?
    They get sent off in big matches on purpose so I win by a larger margin.

Thanks Welshace, it's nice to have a bottomless pit of money to just buy whomever I want on a whim.

Just had a 96m bid Messi (straight up cash) accepted. Couldn't agree terms though. Ah well.

I just signed a 33 year old Kaka for free though. So that's nice.

I know the result I got was a fluke. I know I would have probably won after being 3-0 up anyway. But going down to 10 men, that should/could have buoyed their spirits a bit.

Certainly didn't expect to score another NINE goals after the sending off.

Amateur

dangg... and i thought i was the **** for beating Man Utd 10-0 with Roma

Third Team

Did you have a player sent off?

Semi Pro

When the new Sugar Daddy pulls out this is going to make what happened to Leeds the first time look like a storm in a teacup

Third Team

Hope not. I just got them to buy the stadium!

Leeds Enrons II

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RBKalle View Post
    Can't believe we STILL have apologists reminding us of some pre-war goalfest to "prove" there's always a remote chance of Barça getting annihilated by a 10-men side after all... ???

Seriously, even if it was a one in a billion occurence is STILL absurd and it should definitely get looked at if the red card is sometimes triggering a "god mode".
    It's a mood killer and for some even a game killer...

Winning is everything, but if success can be achieved by adopting an unrefined tactic and just waiting for AI clubs to sabotage themselves or the ME to screw things up
    Well said. Glad i gave up on this unrealistic game months ago.

Reserves
    Granada, Spain @GranadaCdeF_en & @HeathISF Editor: InsideSpanishFootball.com

Quote Originally Posted by BenArsenal View Post
    Marian Horny. \0/
    That's what I was thinking...

Got Horny and played outstanding sexy football, you're opponents simply had no answer for.

Third Team

Some players you have to buy just for their name

Amateur

Always wondered why my team usually plays so much better with 10 men. However, I have never seen a result such as this in my saves...kind of glad for that actually. Could it be about the tactic being used? I know you said you didn't really do anything special at all with it but what if a very basic tactic can get the best out of this situation? Or some specific formation? I've been setting up a tactic myself and tinkered with it a bit, but we do play really well after getting a man sent off but never really demolished a team though.

Amateur

If only this was IRL.
    What year are you in, because you've let some Regular Leeds players out!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Swiifteh View Post
    If only this was IRL.
    What year are you in, because you've let some Regular Leeds players out!
    Its 2015 in the OP picture.

+ Reply to Thread