+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Players overriding penalty taker instructions

Amateur

Default Players overriding penalty taker instructions

Do players have the ability to do this if they have scored 2 goals in a game and they want the hatrick? Twice ive been given a penalty and Naymar has taken it even though he is not on my list of penalty takers and both times he had scored 2 goals in the game when the penalty was given.

Third Team

Yes, that's what happens. It's quite annoying though as couple of times my defender scored two goals and then went on to shoot the penalty and he missed. I want a pop-up box asking me if I want to let him shoot the penalty or my regular penalty taker to shoot.

Amateur

I think its a nice touch, though I agree it should be optional.

Third Team

It happens but only when the result is no longer in doubt. It won't happen when the game is close.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by aderow View Post
    It happens but only when the result is no longer in doubt. It won't happen when the game is close.
    Really? I didn't know that. I thought it always happens. At least it is for me!

Part-Timer

I dont agree with this. I might be imagining things, but I seem to remember unsuitable PK takers go for the hattrick in key game situations.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio MVP View Post
    Yes, that's what happens. It's quite annoying though as couple of times my defender scored two goals and then went on to shoot the penalty and he missed. I want a pop-up box asking me if I want to let him shoot the penalty or my regular penalty taker to shoot.
    agree it should give you an option and then if you say no (and your team are cruising) the player could come to you unhappy with not being allowed

Semi Pro

Didn't Drogba sulk a few seasons ago because Lampard wouldn't let him take a penalty when Drogba was chasing the EPL Golden Boot, and Chelsea were already a few up or something??

But agree it should definitely be optional or bin the hat trick thing.

There's no room for sentiment out there!! When your foot is on their throat, crush them....not bring your donkey CB up whose on a hat trick and invariably misses anyway!!

Amateur

it seems, in reallity, even more players override or try to override that instruction.

Part-Timer

I'm not entirely sure on this, I've seen it happen at some pretty crucial moments.

Also, at what point is a game beyond doubt? If you're 2-0 up with 20 minutes to go, is that safe for a weak penalty taker to take one? What about 4-1 with 30 minutes left?

No two games are the same, and so there is no definite way of judging whether or not a game is safe.

Part-Timer

I think it would be easy to have a tickbox in your tactics - Allow penalty taker instructions to be overruled when player is on a hatrick if lead is -[Drop down box here]

Don't have one in game though, I don't think players tend to ask the managers permission before doing this sort of stuff.

Obviously, they could make their own decision, and clearly if that decision costs you the game because they've ignored your instruction, you should be able to discipline them.

+ Reply to Thread