The Birth of a Messiah

Yinga Garten

After reading several managerial journeys in this forum, I have decided to take on my first documented journey on FM2012. After previous undocumented successes with Colchester and Vauxhall in previous saves, I have decided I am ready for an even bigger challenge.

Save Info

Leagues Loaded

England - Regional First Divs (Level 8)

I am using a custom database which holds 22,000 players, I shall load more leagues in different countries as I progress further into my save.

Beginnings

As a Leeds United supporter, I have decided I want to take a team on which is in Level 8 of the English League system which is based in Leeds. I had two options, Farsleyor Garforth. I have decided to become manager of Garforth Town. My manager shall be named after myself and his previous experience will be as a Sunday League footballer.

Garforth Town

556px-GarforthTown.png

Founded: 1964

Nickname: The Miners

Stadium: Wheatley Park Stadium - Capacity: 3000 (278 seated)

Chairman: Dean Broadbent

Division: Evo-Stik League First Division North (Level 8)

Rivals: Farsley, Guiseley

Media Prediction: 17th

Objectives

To be the best of the best, and of course, to have fun.

I have inherited an okay squad upon which foundations can be built upon.

1y1hT.jpg

As you can see, the five star ability players are being sniffed around at by clubs higher up the divisions. Ollie Hotchkiss even has interest from lower-end League 2 clubs. I have already released 5 players which are surplus to requirements (who aren't included in the image above).

Here are the parameters the board has given me concerning wages.

aRmHt.png

I'm planning to go over that wage budget (which I got increased by a meagre £10), to a similar amount which it currently is now. Their is one player in the squad who is on £75 p/w and I have deemed him surplus to requirements.

Transfers

I have made a move for Danny Fernandez (one of my strikers on my Vauxhall save) on £20 p/w. Thanks to my scout, I have also got a good pool of players to look at.

First Match

In the intra-squad friendly, the first team beat the reserves 4-0, not worth a screenshot in my opinion.

Pre-Season: July/August 2011

mXVCz.png

Have to say, this has been a solid pre-season. With the highlight being a 3-1 win over Whitby (who are a division above), who, to be fair, had 10 men for a whole half. But other than that, I'm confident going into the start of the season now.

@iHeadHunta x: Cheers :thup:

Results: August 2011

Evo-Stik League First Division North

t9ep6.png

The season kicked off with a convincing loss to promotion-chasing Skelmersdale, then we bounced back against Trafford with a comfortable 2-0 win. This then lead on to a disappointing 2-1 loss to Woodley Sports where we played poorly. The month ended with a bore draw against Farsley.

The amount of injuries at this level amazes me, had about 7 players injured already, 3 in the first match alone.

Results: September 2011

FA Cup - Preliminary Round

xaWZw.png

The month started in controversy, as we controversially went out of the FA Cup to lower division side Rye. Things didn't get off to a good start as my goalkeeper, Neil Postlethwaite, was sent off for handling the ball outside the box in the 35 minute. Straight after that we went 1 down. After the interval, we conceded again. Before a quick double solution got us a goal back. But it wasn't enough to spark a comeback. I was furious at supposed 'top referee' Howard Webb (how he was referring the match I do not know). I made my frustration clear in the following press conference and appealed the decision, amazingly, to no avail. Even after the FA stayed silent on the issue.

I had to move onto my next league match without my No. 1 keeper.

MOQI6.png

The month started off perfectly with comfortable wins over Salford and under-achieving Lancaster City. Then dreadful results against relegation threatened Clitheroe and Curzon Ashton (who had lost their previous match 7-0 to Durham), this was then followed up with a slightly better but still disappointed loss to Cammell Laird. The month then ended with a solid draw to play-off contenders Radcliffe Boro.

League Table

1uTrZ.jpg?1

It's shown over the past month that we need another proven striker to partner Paul Walker up front, I'll keep on rotating who goes up front to try and find the correct partnership.

Results: October 2011

A busy month was ahead, with the team competing in two cups alongside the regular league matches.

KRJLX.png

What turned out to be a fine month in the league, started off perfectly with comfortable wins against AFC Fylde and Mossley (without conceding in either). But the voodoo against relegation threatened teams continued against Harrogate Railway, as we struggled to a 1-1 draw. But we came back well against Witton to record yet another comfortable win without conceding. The month was rounded off with a 1-1 draw, which saw midfielder Mario Bryan sent off in the first half for two yellows. But Adam Priestley scored a gem of a goal and we held on for the draw.

The results this month in the league earned me 2nd place in the Manager of the Month award.

Doodson Sports Cup - First Round

1rw6i.png

We were drawn against Evo-Stik League First Division North 1st-placed team Brigg in the first round, so I couldn't see us getting through. The lads put in a decent performance, but we went out, but I was satisfied with the performance.

FA Trophy - 1st Qualifying Round

mApc3.png

I couldn't see us getting past Redditch (who are a tier above us). They didn't really turn up for the tie first time round, but we failed to take advantage of that as it ended as a bore draw. In the replay, they turned up for the first half, where they went 2-0 up, after that they coasted into the 2nd Qualifying Round.

League Table

xxLW0.jpg

A good month has left us just outside the play-off's (although having played more games than the teams around us). I won't get too ahead of myself though, there's still a lot of work to be done.

Results: November/December 2011

qpqiL.png

I've not really got much to say, mediocre set of results really. Apart from the terrible results at Prescot and Skelmersdale (the latter being more understandable), we literally seemed to fall apart at Prescot. The voodoo against lower sides seemed to continue as Harrogate Railway got a last-minute equaliser.

West Riding County Cup - 2nd Round

8ASPB.png

An easy win over Goole (who are arguably the strongest team in this competition from my perspective), has set us on the path to winning this trophy. The rest of the teams are either reserve teams from clubs who are at Level 6 (Guiseley, Harrogate and Halifax) or Level 9/10 clubs. I expect to win this and I'll be disappointed if we don't. We have got Yorkshire Amateur (Level 10 club), in the Quarter Finals.

League Table

ugEFK.jpg

NOTE: The New Year's round of matches has also been played, but it went past me as our match against Farsley on that day was postponed.

Play-off's are still attainable, just. But the goal difference has taken a battering after heavy defeats against Prescot and Skelmersdale. If I can be serious about reaching the play-off's, then the voodoo against lower sides needs to end.

Good luck with the latter half of the season, first season is just about getting the team together under your control, any success is a bonus.

I was looking at the first season as building a solid base on which to push for promotion next season. I would like to win the West Riding County Cup though, which is very attainable, just for the sake of silverware. Garforth have already won it 4 times before and according to the game, they are the defending champions.

Results: January/February/March 2012

VYiUE.png

Results picked up in January and were constantly good up until the end of March, losing only four matches in that time. But it looks like it won't turn out to be enough for a play-off spot (which you will find out in a moment).

West Riding County Cup - Quarter Final/Semi Final

PuTOa.png

Two easy wins against Level 10 and 9 sides (respectively) has lead us easily to the final. Where we shall face another Level 9 side (Barnoldswick) in the final at Valley Parade (Bradford City's ground).

League Table

inLzp.jpg

The season is practically over now for Garforth Town, with the side 9 points adrift from the play-off's with four matches to play. A season summary shall follow once the final match of the season is played against Barnoldswick.

Results: April 2012

QKqPE.png

What seemed to be a solid month was ruined by the final two matches. The play-off's were out of reach at this point and the players had their minds on the holidays already it seemed. I was hoping this wouldn't ruin the West Riding County Cup final.

League Table

p87RJ.jpg

So a middling season really. I'm satisfied really, even more so if we win the following match...

May 2nd 2012: THE WEST RIDING COUNTY CUP FINAL

X6ghv.png

Truly excellent result. We were 5-0 up at half-time and cruised to the finish line. I have claimed my first trophy as manager of Garforth Town.

Everyone has come out to praise me.

tHCyV.png

zEHzX.png

So that wraps up my first season at Garforth Town. A summary shall be up tomorrow for the season and what has been happening elsewhere in England.

kG0ek.png?1

Garforth Town - Season Review - 2011/12

Evo-Stik League First Division North - 11th

League Table/Results Pt. 1/Results Pt. 2

A decent season in all really. Consolidating our position as a comfortable mid-table side. I believe this is a fair evaluation of the team, but next season I want to change this.

Board Expectation - Learn from the experience of competing in the league.

Board Evaluation - The board are delighted that the team have finished in a respectable position this season. - Superb

FA Cup - Eliminated: Preliminary Round

Result

We went out to level 9 side Rye in controversial fashion, as my keeper Neil Postelthwaite, was sent off before the end of the first half for handling the ball outside the box. We couldn't cope with the 11 men of Rye and we soon went down to 9 men. At that point the match was lost, despite a late consolation.

Board Expectation - Reach the 1st Qualifying Round.

Board Evaluation - Slightly concerned, but can understand why the team was defeated by Rye. - Okay

FA Trophy - Eliminated: 1st Qualifying Round

Results

We drew level 7 side Redditch, so I couldn't see us winning. Surprisingly they didn't turn up for the match first time round, but we failed to take advantage of that, forcing a replay. We then went out convincingly.

Board Expectation - Learn from the experience of competing in the FA Trophy.

Board Evaluation - The board are delighted that the team reached the 1st Qualifying Round. - Good

Doodson Sports Cup - Eliminated: 1st Round

Result

I didn't really bother with this cup, fielding a weakened team against parallel level 8 side Brigg, it showed as we were convincingly beaten.

Board Expectation - Reach the 1st Round.

Board Evaluation - The board are pleased that the team reached the 1st Round. - Good

West Riding County Cup - Winners

Results

Very easy competition, which involves level 8, 9 and 10 sides and reserve sides of teams at Level 6. The only real challenge we faced was Goole in the 2nd Round, who were a parallel level 8 side, it was plain sailing from then on as we wrapped things up with an excellent 5-1 win over Barnoldswick at Valley Parade to lift the trophy. I hope to retain it next season.

Board Expectation - Reach the 2nd Round.

Board Evaluation - The board are delighted that the team won the West Riding County Cup. - Superb

Club

Transfers

In - I focused on signing youngsters at high potential levels to help make the rise through the divisions more smooth, other signings focused on experience at this level.

Out - I released five players as soon as I arrived. Over the first third of the season I forced Chris Howarth out as his wages were a problem (£75 p/w). The rest were poached by other clubs as they were not under contract.

Finances

Not good at all. Even though I went £200 over the wage budget set, the club still would have made a loss.

Player of the Season

Jamie Price

A constant rock in defence and our most consistent player this season. Also pitched in at centre midfield for several matches as well.

New Club Records

Highest Gate Receipts - £1,000 vs Cammell Laird, Evo-Stik League First Division North, 4/2/12

Lowest Attendance - 79 vs Redditch, FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round, 26/10/11

Average Attendance - 191

Biggest Win - 5-1 vs Barnoldswick, West Riding County Cup Final, 2/5/12

Biggest Defeat - 1-5 vs Prescot, Evo-Stik League First Division North, 26/11/11

Highest Scoring Game - "" ""

Highest Scoring League Game - "" ""

Most Games Won in Row - 4 - 14/1/12 to 4/2/12

Most Games Lost in Row - 3 - 14/9/11 to 24/9/11

Most Games without Losing - 6 - 21/2/12 to 20/3/12

Most Games without Winning - 6 - 22/10/11 to 12/11/11

Most Games without Conceding - 3 - 21/2/12 to 3/3/12

Most Games without Scoring - 2 - 14/9/11 to 17/9/11

What Next?

I'm going to take a break from Football Manager for a bit. Plans are already in place for next season; all staff going apart from the Assistant Manager, getting rid of players on wages not worth their quality, getting experience and back-up in every position. I'll see you all sometime soon.

What's Happening Elsewhere? - 2011/12

Premier League

Champions - Manchester United

Champions League Qualification - Manchester City, Blackburn, Tottenham

Europa League Qualification - Chelsea, Wolves

Relegated - QPR, Norwich, Swansea

Championship

Champions - Reading

Promoted - Blackpool, Burnley

Relegated - Southampton, Coventry, Crystal Palace

League 1

Champions - Sheffield United

Promoted - Huddersfield, Preston

Relegated - Yeovil, Notts County, Walsall, Bury

League 2

Champions - Swindon

Promoted - Bristol Rovers, Port Vale, Rotherham

Relegated - Cheltenham, Crewe

Conference

Champions - Wrexham

Promoted - Cambridge

Relegated - Bath, Ebbsfleet, Southport, Barrow

Conference North

Champions - Blyth

Promoted - Hinckley

Relegated - Gloucester, Worcester, Solihull Moors

Conference South

Champions - Woking

Promoted - Boreham Wood

Relegated - Eastbourne Borough, Thurrock, Weston-super-Mare

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isthmian League Premier Division

Champions - Wealdstone

Promoted - Canvey Island

Relegated - Leatherhead, Billericay, Horsham, East Thurrock

Southern Premier Division

Champions - Weymouth

Promoted - Frome

Relegated - Stourbridge, Arlesey, Barwell, Evesham

Northern Premier Division

Champions - Hednesford

Promoted - FC United

Relegated - Whitby, Stocksbridge, Mickleover, Frickley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Premier League First Division North

Champions - Mossley

Promoted - Skelmersdale

Relegated - Bamber Bridge, Cammell Laird

Northern Premier League First Division South

Champions - Ilkeston

Promoted - Stamford

Relegated - Sutton Coldfield, Shepshed

Isthmian League First Division North

Champions - Maldon & Tiptree

Promoted - Grays

Relegated - Brentwood, Redbridge

Isthmian League First Division South

Champions - Whitehawk

Promoted - Walton & Hersham

Relegated - Eastbourne Town, Godalming

Southern First Division Central

Champions - Fleet

Promoted - Slough

Relegated - Woodford Utd, Leighton

Southern First Division South/West

Champions - Tiverton

Promoted - Stourport

Relegated - North Leigh

FA Cup

Wolves 0 - 3 QPR

League Cup

Tottenham 1 - 3 Manchester City

Community Shield

Manchester City 2p - 2 Manchester United

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Chesterfield 2 - 5 Charlton

FA Trophy

Gateshead 3 - 0 Tamworth

Champions League

Manchester City 1 - 2 Manchester United @ Allianz Arena, Munich

Europa League

Olympiakos 0p - 0 Paris Saint-Germain @ National Arena, Bucharest

kG0ek.png?1

Garforth Town - Season Preview - 2012/13

Board Expectations

Evo-Stik League First Division North - Safe mid-table

FA Cup - 1st Qualifying Round

FA Trophy - Learn from the experience

Doodson Sports Cup - 1st Round

Evo-Stik League Presidents Cup - 1st Round

West Riding County Cup - 2nd Round

My Expectations

Evo-Stik League First Division North - Play-off push

FA Cup - Don't fall at the first hurdle, the Preliminary Round

FA Trophy - Not bothered

Doodson Sports Cup - Not bothered

Evo-Stik League Presidents Cup - Didn't even know this existed, so not bothered

West Riding County Cup - Retain it

Extra Info

Transfer Budget: £0 (n/c from last season)

Wage Budget: £540 p/w (£300 p/w increase from last season)

Balance: (£34,520)

Media Prediction: 16th

Bookies: 50-1

Halfway Update: 2012/13

In a change of updating and to give more convenience for me, I shall be giving updates halfway through the season and at the end of the season until Garforth rise higher up the leagues.

Evo-Stik League First Division North Results

t7AfJ.jpg

(Missing from this screenshot is a 1-0 win over Prescot with Luke Carr getting the goal)

After a dreadful start without a win in five matches things turned around after a tight win at Curzon Ashton, form then picked up. I'm delighted with the results so far, only really losing to teams higher up the table.

League Table

SKjvX.jpg

After recovering from an awful start, things look good as we are just outside the play-offs.

Cup Results

FA Cup - 1st Qualifying Round (beaten 3-1 by Halesowen)

FA Trophy - 3rd Qualifying Round (beaten 1-0 by Dover)

Doodson Sports Cup - Preliminary Round (beaten 2-0 by Whitby)

Evo-Stik League Presidents Cup - 2nd Round (beaten 2-1 by Newcastle Town in extra time)

West Riding County Cup - Still in it

I'll post full results during the end of season update.

Summary So Far

After a dreadful start to the season I was worrying that this would be another mid-table season, my fears were eased once we went on a good run after beating Curzon Ashton. Near the end of October I asked for a wage budget increase from the chairman, and it was granted, increasing the budget to £670 p/w. Thanks to this I've been able to bring in back-up which are capable of getting the job done.

Positives

+ Luke Carr has emerged as a goalscoring machine after he was signed near the end of last season, scoring goals for fun in some matches. Like when he bagged 4 against Scarborough Athletic for example. He earned Player of the Month for November due to this.

+ Kenny Woods, the chairman has been extremely kind in increasing my wage budget. I think this has given me the edge now over our rivals now.

+ Players like Ollie Hotchkiss (despite being plagued by injury), Jamie Price and Tom Piotrowski have emerged after average turnouts last season, contributing to the team doing so well.

+ My scout seems to have struck a goldmine, finding some great players with great potential.

Negatives

- Our inability to beat the big teams, we need to overcome this if we can get promotion.

- The result against Wakefield, we were 2-0 up before falling apart.

Targets for the rest of the season

- Reach the play-offs

- Retain the West Riding County Cup

- Keep up the performances of Luke Carr and others

End of Season: 2012/13

Evo-Stik League First Division North Results

0vGMm.png

Yet another run of excellent results helped to bring an excellent 2nd half of the season for Garforth Town.

League Table

95bE8.jpg

So this left us in the play-off's, which I knew was easily achievable after the chairman increased the wage budget, with the new signings making the impact needed. Frickley ran away with the title really after Radcliffe Boro failed to take advantage of their games in hand.

Play-Off's

Semi-Final

I was surprised to find out that the play-off's were drawn, instead of being 2nd vs 5th & 3rd vs 4th, but this outcome still came out anyway. We were drawn against Lancaster City, a good side but I knew we would have the edge.

MxrGL.jpg

We were dominated all match by Lancaster City, but a stroke of luck came as the match seemed to go into extra-time. We were awarded a penalty. Tom Piotrowski buried it to send us through to the final.

Final

In the final it was Radcliffe Boro, who I thought would be way too strong for us. They were miles away from the rest along with Frickley, they beat us twice as well.

L0BO3.jpg

What a great win, Radcliffe Boro never turned up on the day and barely threatened at all. Goals from Darren Kelly and Saheed Sankoh sealed promotion.

Now to end the season there was the matter of retaining the West Riding County Cup, which sadly we won't be able to retain next season.

The West Riding County Cup Final: 2012/13

761Km.jpg

A true managerial and player master class as the lads come back from 1 down to win with ten men in extra time. We beat Pontefract Coils, Liversedge and Wakefield to get to the final.

WOk7a.png

hGhWT.png

Everyone has come in to celebrate the club and me for retaining the Mickey Mouse trophy.

I've just found out that we'll be in it next season, so I'll win it for the 5th time in a row.

A season review shall be up soon, not so sure if I'll continue documenting this save due to a lack of interest from others.

kG0ek.png?1

Garforth Town - Season Review - 2012/13

Evo-Stik League First Division North - 4th (promoted via play-off's)

esH57.jpg

A truly excellent season, we couldn't have done much better than 4th seeing as Frickley, Radcliffe Boro and Lancaster City were miles away all season. Results are elsewhere in the thread, don't see any need to link them.

FA Cup - Eliminated: 1st Qualifying Round

After a shaky 1-0 win over level 9 side Startford thanks to Elliot Dent's goal we went to face level 8 side Halesowen in the 1st Qualifying Round. We were beaten comprehensively 3-1 and were knocked out of the competition.

FA Trophy - Eliminated: 3rd Qualifying Round

We went on a good run beating level 7 sides Hitchin and Bury Town 3-0 respectively before we were unlucky beaten 1-0 by Dover thanks to a last minute strike.

Doodson Sports Cup - Eliminated: Preliminary Round

Honestly couldn't care less about this, went out to Whitby losing 2-0.

Evo-Stik League Presidents Cup - Eliminated: 2nd Round

We beat rivals Farsley in extra-time in the 1st Round, 2-1. But we couldn't beat Newcastle Town in extra-time in the 2nd Round, going out 2-1.

West Riding County Cup - Winners

Another easy run to the final (bar Wakefield in the semi's, which we easily won), we were up against Ossett Town. I can't say much more about the result than what was said above.

Club

Transfers: N/A

Finances: N/A

Player of the Season: N/A

New Club Records

N/A

What Next?

Well, I got carried away and I've already completed next season, so I've been unable to get screenshots and properly update this career thread. I'll just say, next season was a good one. A full season review for 2013/14 will be up in the next few days, with a squad review and more to get everyone caught up with what has happened.

What's Happening Elsewhere? - 2012/13

Premier League

Champions - Manchester City

Champions League Qualification - Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea

Europa League Qualification - Blackburn, Arsenal

Relegated - Wigan, Reading, Blackpool

Championship

Champions - QPR

Promoted - Leicester, Nottingham Forest

Relegated - Peterborough, Leeds, Doncaster

League 1

Champions - Crystal Palace

Promoted - Southampton, Colchester

Relegated - Port Vale, Stevenage, Rotherham, Hartlepool

League 2

Champions - Wrexham

Promoted - Notts County, Plymouth, Cambridge

Relegated - AFC Wimbledon, Bury

Conference

Champions - Luton

Promoted - York

Relegated - Alfreton, Fleetwood, Braintree, Boreham Wood

Conference North

Champions - Southport

Promoted - Droylsden

Relegated - Hyde, Vauxhall, Colwyn Bay

Conference South

Champions - Ebbsfleet

Promoted - Farnborough

Relegated - Hampton & Richmond, Weymouth, Canvey Island

Isthmian League Premier Division

Champions - Concord Rangers

Promoted - Tooting & Mitcham

Relegated - Leatherhead, Billericay, Horsham, East Thurrock

Southern Premier Division

Champions - Worcester

Promoted - Chesham

Relegated - Stourport, Banbury, Cirenchester, Hemel Hempstead

Northern Premier Division

Champions - Matlock

Promoted - Kendal

Relegated - Skelmersdale, Mossley, Buxton, Bradford PA

Northern Premier League First Division North

Champions - Frickley

Promoted - Garforth

Relegated - Harrogate Railway, Durham

Northern Premier League First Division South

Champions - Hucknall

Promoted - Mickleover

Relegated - Rainworth MW, Retford

Isthmian League First Division North

Champions - Billericay

Promoted - Uxbridge

Relegated - Tilbury, Wivenhoe

Isthmian League First Division South

Champions - Bognor Regis

Promoted - Folkestone

Relegated - Faversham, Chipstead

Southern First Division Central

Champions - Daventry

Promoted - St. Neots

Relegated - North Greenford, Dunstable

Southern First Division South/West

Champions - Paulton

Promoted - Taunton

Relegated - Thatcham, Warrington

FA Cup

Sunderland 3 - 2 Tottenham

League Cup

Tottenham 1 - 4 Bolton

Community Shield

Manchester United 2 - 1 QPR

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday

FA Trophy

Kettering 1 - 3e Mansfield

Champions League

Barcelona 1 - 0 Lyon @ Wembley, London

Europa League

Marseille 2 - 0 Blackburn @ Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam

Archived