Why would he do this!?

(Man Utd) Pellegrini retires 6 days before the CL final against Liverpool.. The day after I was linked to the job, and on the night of the final I was offered the job. I declined though as I've been at Real for 6 seasons and wanna stay as long as possible.

... but why would you not wait a week to retire!?

I understand that, but surely, no managers in the world would retire 6 days before a CL final, even if he had already decided to retire on this day a year ago! He would set it back a week, no doubt.

And yes, that was weird. I probably would have rejected the offer even if I wanted to go there. It's just too unrealistic - both things, anyway.

Retirment date was set regardless of other events!

Why Man Utd would offer managers job on eve major final is confusing unless current manager was retiring?

I just read this post again. I think I misread it the first time.

He retired 6 days before the final. He quit the job. Started painting and playing golf. Walking his dog in the park. He retired lol.. The Ass Man was in charge the 6 days prior to the final, and I was offered the job on the day of the final. Again, none of this makes sense. I sure as hell wouldn't retire a week before a big event such as this. This could be a potential highlight of my career.

I reported an issue before on a similar note with a manager changing jobs days before a Championship play-off final to a similar sized team that finished below mid table

Yeah I've seen that too. Weird.

Archived