What is the point of holidaying?

I use the holiday feature for a few reasons.

1. Advance a season to allow me to take over at a newly promoted side

2. Get to the season update point while I cook myself some dinner

3. Just been sacked & waiting for a new job, no point just hitting continue if the auto-apply function works

4. There's an international break & like #3 I can't be bothered to hit continue for 10 game days when I could be off doing something else

I holiday through matches as I don't have time to sit and tinker every 90 minute game. I select the players I want to take the field and effectively press go. This way I can progress through the game in the limited hours life gives me to play.

1. International breaks, never really much news so i can do stuff on internet and skip those 10 days. (Unless im managing internationally of course)

2. If im a top side i sometimes use it to skip easy cup games.

3. In lower leagues i do it once ive sown up the title as the results dont matter then and the 46 game calenders can take a while, im too excited for new season. I just recently wrapped up the BSP with 8 games to go so holidayed until a cup final.

I never holiday games but I did holiday my current save to get past the first 18 months because I didn't want to start again. I then retired the manager and added mine to the club I wanted to manage. I find the 1st season pretty boring when I need to start another save.

When you get in about 70 seasons it can be very tedious to play every single game that comes your way. I've in charge at clubs for 50 seasons and at least 10 seasons in I've already got the best squad in the world. So 40 more of those seasons watching your team destroy teams in Cup matches or even in League matches against **** poor competition.

At the end of the day it's there for you if you want it. Some people only do an international career - so they can holiday until their next friendly match or whatever. I've done the International Manager only thing before. It was kinda exciting, I managed something like 15 different nations in a 40 year career; bringing World Cup, European Cup, Confederations Cup and other cups to the most unlikely teams.

1. In multiplayer games when somebody isn't available, the others can continue the game.

2. Editing projects - As a big user of the editor, the holiday function is vital for testing the database changes to see if things continue to work many years into the game.

I regularly holiday the game for 3 or 4 years at the start because I find it too repetitive otherwise. Always the same players available for transfer and often the same players turn out to be the best possible signings for a large bandwith of clubs (e.g. Bandalovski or Nelson from CSKA Sofia).

By holidaying I have more variation at the game start, can look for a nice challenge at a club which underperformed so far and have the first regens in an age at which they can start games and thus add more variation and excitement to scouting.

For other purposes I can't see myself using that option either, but I guess many casual gamers may want to speed a bit through perceivedly boring parts of a season.

When you get in about 70 seasons it can be very tedious to play every single game that comes your way. I've in charge at clubs for 50 seasons and at least 10 seasons in I've already got the best squad in the world. So 40 more of those seasons watching your team destroy teams in Cup matches or even in League matches against **** poor competition.

fwiw I would rather consider starting a new game when my save bores me so much that I cannot bother to attend my matches. What is it that keeps you away from that?

Getting to the top of the Richest Clubs List - starting with a very poor club. The only goal is to be the richest club. As long as I'm winning games and competitions I don't care.

Important thing is to sign young players, and sell them off with 50% of next transfer fee. Or I could sell players off for loads of money.

Basically I wouldn't be technically the Football Manager, as the Assistant Manager basically does my job. I am more of a Director role. Overseeing the signing and selling of players - asking for club improvements, stadium resizing, rebuilding etc.

It's quite a challenge to topple the Spanish giants from the top of the Worlds Richest Clubs.

I only use it if I am between jobs and want to auto-apply for any job which becomes available, or sometimes when I want to whizz through the part of the end of season break when all the players are on holiday.

I use it mainly for later games.

Its great building your team but once you've built it, it kinda can be boring until you can move into that new ground.

Got a great save with Parma atm, I norm do my transfers, play up to the close of the 1st window then holiday till Jan. Then its game on as norm.

I use the holiday feature for a few reasons.

1. Advance a season to allow me to take over at a newly promoted side

3. Just been sacked & waiting for a new job, no point just hitting continue if the auto-apply function works

These two for me as well. Other than these I wouldn't use it, I don't like the idea of skipping things I usually take care of as manager.

I holiday through matches as I don't have time to sit and tinker every 90 minute game. I select the players I want to take the field and effectively press go. This way I can progress through the game in the limited hours life gives me to play.

Exactly! I've been playing this since 2007 & no longer need to watch the games. Want to get through the seasons quickly to enjoy end-of-season transfer activity.

Exactly! I've been playing this since 2007 & no longer need to watch the games. Want to get through the seasons quickly to enjoy end-of-season transfer activity.

Even though I don't use the holiday feature (due to the game's nasty habit of gutting MLS teams if you leave them in charge for a second) I agree with the games being of lesser interest than the end of season stuff. I view the actual season as a chore that I have to go through in order to get the rewards of the off season.

I holiday between games unless it is a transfer window and then I will just keep on hitting continue.

Same as this, don't see the point in sitting there and hitting continue a load of times in between a match when 95% of the time I have no interest in any of the news.

Great to read your guys holidaying habits. Thats the thing I have never done it, even in off season I just like to go through everything, do most people here holiday in off/pre season.

Marty what exactly is this instant continue and how do I enable it.

I don't usually holiday other than in pre-season June, but the current season (10th) of my Bradford save, because of the database-bloating bug, I am actually holidaying between matches. It just takes too long to wait for the processing, so I tend to do other things while waiting anyway. Holidaying is more efficient. I have removed several leagues so I hope that given some time the database will decrease to a manageable size.

That's a valid point TBH, but unemployed manager is surely anyway always on holiday? :D

You still have your news subscriptions, so you still need to go through those to progress through time. That doesn't quite compare with lying on a beach in the Bahamas :cool:

Great to read your guys holidaying habits. Thats the thing I have never done it, even in off season I just like to go through everything, do most people here holiday in off/pre season.

Marty what exactly is this instant continue and how do I enable it.

Go into preferances and it is under the first tab (general) and is called "continue game timeout". It is just above the save game options.

Ye I agree with you Fabio MVP. I wouldnt really holiday, maybe if im unemployed then I may try it, but I never have so I doubt it.

Thanks marty, but what do you get out of "instant continue".

Well unless there is an inbox message that needs a response, such as press conference, then it will continue the game for you all the way up to the submit squad screen. This means I can browse the net or something while the days are processed without having to keep pressing continue. I can also watch the screen and it will read through my inbox and then I just to stop it if a message interests me.

You can if you don't watch your screen as they scroll through. The only real thing to look out for is your staff getting poached. If you are not watching you don't have time to counter offer. I don't really care though as staff are easily replaced and it is very rare.

Only holidays I ever take are on game day itself to avoid watching the match. I pick the team, set the tactics, then take the day off & come back & see how they did. Helps me get through the season quicker so I can get really involved with the end of season transfer merry-go-round. Player transfers, team improvement, end of season, really is my favourite part of the game.

Archived