screen size

• SI Staff

Hi - it's not currently possible to run the game full screen on the Xperia S as we don't currently have a skin that closely fits the phone's screen resolution. However, we're looking into making more skins for updates and you should expect to see some movement on this at some point in the near future!

For a company of your size, with the resource and reputation that you have, I do not think that this is good enough. It is said elsewhere on the site (on a locked thread) "it's not possible to have skins to fit every single resolution that's out there" - that is a bare faced lie. What you mean is that the app is not coded properly. For the price of the app, which is expensive for a mobile application, I think that more is expected. As for the resolutions that you have chosen, the tablet I have is the same resolution as the Google reference device for tablets yet does not fit. What resolutions have been chosen?

Finally, surely you know what the popular handsets are already?? It's not like Android is a beta product.

End of rant, but I think SI have let their QA slip.

• SI Staff
For a company of your size, with the resource and reputation that you have, I do not think that this is good enough. It is said elsewhere on the site (on a locked thread) "it's not possible to have skins to fit every single resolution that's out there" - that is a bare faced lie. What you mean is that the app is not coded properly. For the price of the app, which is expensive for a mobile application, I think that more is expected. As for the resolutions that you have chosen, the tablet I have is the same resolution as the Google reference device for tablets yet does not fit. What resolutions have been chosen?

Thank you for your kind feedback.

I largely implemented the Android version on the game in my own time to prove that it could be done and to improve upon the chance of its viability (SI/SEGA being corporations obviously want projects to turn a profit). I'm a big fan of the Android operating system and sincerely hope that the application will not continue upon the Android platform in a similar way to how it has established itself upon iOS.

With regards to the skins and resolutions supported, the ones which are supported are those which are most common upon Android (480x320 and 800x480) with a third skin (960x640) supporting larger scale devices, we made no secret of the available skins before the game was released nor how the game supports resolutions which are outside of these skins.

A fourth skin specifically created for HDTV resolution Android Tablets (1280x720) and HDTV resolution Android Phones (1188x720) will be available within the forthcoming update - this should be present in early May.

With regards to your comments about supporting 'every single resolution' - that was entirely accurate, in the timescale before release we had to make hard choices about which resolutions to support full-screen, the team working on the FMH project is very compact (on the coding front - its me and Rich, thats it) and simply put there is only so much we can do in a specific period of time.

We selected the WVGA (800x480) skin as the priority because that is the one which the vast bulk of Android devices utilise, now the game has been released we (as we said we would) have been looking to implement support for further resolutions.

Finally, surely you know what the popular handsets are already?? It's not like Android is a beta product.

We had an idea of which resolutions were out in the wild - however how these mapped to people who'd purchase FMH wasn't entirely know, as I'm sure you're aware different demographics of people tend to own different style devices - until FMH was actually in the wild it was impossible to know which resolutions would be most in demand, outside of the fact that the tablet market share would be tiny in comparison to that of mobile handsets.

Finally bear in mind that when I started work on the original prototype some popular handsets of today (eg. Samsung Note) didn't even exist ;)

End of rant, but I think SI have let their QA slip.

I think thats wholly unfair, the QA on FMH have done an amazing job imho and your complaint has absolutely no allegations against them at all (ie. you're complaining about a design decision I made not anything QA could affect).

If you want to disagree with that design decision it is obviously your right and I'm sorry you weren't happy with it, hopefully the forthcoming update will make you happier in this regard.

"A fourth skin specifically created for HDTV resolution Android Tablets (1280x720) and HDTV resolution Android Phones (1188x720) will be available within the forthcoming update - this should be present in early May."

This is excellent news; most excellent.

I initially thought zedthegreat's post was leading up to a comedy ending, but no. It is disappointing that people still carry this attitude despite it being widely documented that the Android version of FMH was not really in SI's plans to begin with. I would suggest he/she be grateful we have it at all.

"Thank you for your kind feedback." :)

"A fourth skin specifically created for HDTV resolution Android Tablets (1280x720) and HDTV resolution Android Phones (1188x720) will be available within the forthcoming update - this should be present in early May."

I initially thought zedthegreat's post was leading up to a comedy ending, but no. It is disappointing that people still carry this attitude despite it being widely documented that the Android version of FMH was not really in SI's plans to begin with. I would suggest he/she be grateful we have it at all.

Well said. :)

I'd rather they working on fixing bugs and making the game better then adjusting how it fits the screen.

I also found his comments a bit over the top. Didn't expect Android at all that soon. I got myself covered with iOS devices so far but one never knows down the road. BUT, as soon as you charge for sth. people will feel they buy the right to complain and in a way they do if the product wouldn't do what was promised. Can't see it here but I always admire MV's ability to respond in a calm and most professional manner.

• 3 months later...

Archived