FM 13 for 64bit. Is it possible?

I'm sorry if this was discussed and I may be wrong but someone from SI told me on this forum that FM is a 32bit game, thus doesn't support any RAM over 4gb. If that is true, considering that 64bit operating systems are becoming quite popular, they should make the game for 64bit systems too, in the next installation. I hate it that I can't use my spare 4gb of RAM to play my journeyman career faster and I really think SI should look into this...

Well according to the Steam website, 53.10% of Steam users are on 64 bit Windows 7 in March so there is definitly enough users (more 64 bit than 32 infact :))

(Info taken from http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey)

The question is how many of those 53% play FM though? From my personal experience, a lot of FM players only use Steam for FM and barely play any other games on their PC/Mac.

Allocation of RAM depends on the OS, not the other software you're using. If you have 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64 will allocate all of it, if it deems it necessary, to run FM - or any other software. Windows 32 bit however, will only allocate the RAM it is capable of, which is around 3.4 GB at most, if I remember correctly. The proof of this is in the pudding; Before I start up FM, I see that the RAM usage is in the region of 1.3 to 2.1 GB. That is my laptop's "normal" state, without me actively using any software. Starting up FM, I then see the RAM use quickly go up to 4 GB initially, and then gradually will use more and more RAM, the longer I play. I have seen 7 to 8 of my 12 GB RAM in use during long FM stints. I play with large database and all european leagues playable + Argentina and Brazil premier divisions.

The problem with 32-bit isn't just the 4GB ceiling which the OS can access, but that each process can only claim 2GB max.

So even if you've got a 64-bit OS with 16GB of RAM, then so long as FM remains a 32-bit program it can only use 2GB RAM maximum.

Allocation of RAM depends on the OS, not the other software you're using. If you have 8 GB RAM, Win 7 64 will allocate all of it, if it deems it necessary, to run FM - or any other software. Windows 32 bit however, will only allocate the RAM it is capable of, which is around 3.4 GB at most, if I remember correctly. The proof of this is in the pudding; Before I start up FM, I see that the RAM usage is in the region of 1.3 to 2.1 GB. That is my laptop's "normal" state, without me actively using any software. Starting up FM, I then see the RAM use quickly go up to 4 GB initially, and then gradually will use more and more RAM, the longer I play. I have seen 7 to 8 of my 12 GB RAM in use during long FM stints. I play with large database and all european leagues playable + Argentina and Brazil premier divisions.

I'm running every playable league with the top 2 divisions of all European leagues & international/continental competitions on full detail plus an approx player/staff pool of 250,000 & I rarely see FM exceed 2.3GB RAM usage.

As a 32bit programme FM cannot​ address the amount of RAM that you claim to be seeing.

The problem with 32-bit isn't just the 4GB ceiling which the OS can access, but that each process can only claim 2GB max.

So even if you've got a 64-bit OS with 16GB of RAM, then so long as FM remains a 32-bit program it can only use 2GB RAM maximum.

Actually that isn't entirely correct, because I had a 32 bit Vista and it recognized 3.2GB of memory (if I'm not mistaken) of my 4GB, until Vista SP1 was released that change that to 4GB, but it always use 3.2 in 32 bit version.

Correct :D

Actually that isn't entirely correct, because I had a 32 bit Vista and it recognized 3.2GB of memory (if I'm not mistaken) of my 4GB, until Vista SP1 was released that change that to 4GB, but it always use 3.2 in 32 bit version.

It may recognise you have around 4gb ram (in reality it will only access around 3.2 -3.4gb) its the fact that FM has not been coded as able to fully exploit a 64 bit o/s

Will not happen any time soon.

Simple reason is you do not need a gaming PC too run this game,basically a supped up microwave will run it and Sega likes that just fine.

They do not need to have a team working on a 64 bit version as people will buy it without this.

It would be great if they did but from their point of view...it ain't broke so don't fix it.

I have seen people ask if their almost 8 year old system can run the game and the sad truth is "it will run it fine,although maybe without the 3D match".

I'm running every playable league with the top 2 divisions of all European leagues & international/continental competitions on full detail plus an approx player/staff pool of 250,000 & I rarely see FM exceed 2.3GB RAM usage.

As a 32bit programme FM cannot​ address the amount of RAM that you claim to be seeing.

If this is true, it must then mean that FM has a serious memory leaking issue. It would be interresting to see if anyone else with a large amount of RAM see the same as me? If you have 8 or more GB of RAM available (and a 64 bit OS), how much is being used while playing FM?

Will not happen any time soon.

Simple reason is you do not need a gaming PC too run this game,basically a supped up microwave will run it and Sega likes that just fine.

They do not need to have a team working on a 64 bit version as people will buy it without this.

It would be great if they did but from their point of view...it ain't broke so don't fix it.

I have seen people ask if their almost 8 year old system can run the game and the sad truth is "it will run it fine,although maybe without the 3D match".

I think we're at a place now where the reach of a 64bit OS is far beyond the exclusive realms of gamers. I was recently shopping to find a laptop for my Mother, and was amazed that 64bit OS seems almost standard in some stores. After all, mid-range systems, and even some around the £300 mark, come with 4GB of RAM.

Also, this isn't something that would stop people on old machines from playing the latest FM. Creating a 64bit exe, doesn't mean that a 32bit exe can't be supplied too. EA released Crysis with both I seem to recall.

Wider 64bit PC gaming will also be upon us in the near future. The next gen of consoles will be out soon(ish), and with them games that will natively run 64bit. With PC gaming currently tethered to consoles (with FM being a notable exception), I think the next gen will make 64bit exes standard for PCs too. Hopefully SI will be able to bring us that too.

Exactly my point, Mr. Pompey.

I was just correcting @this_is_gav saying it uses 2GB of memory, on 32 bit program, but uses in fact 3.2GB of memory (i think it that is the value).

he was referring incorrectly to the limit imposed on 32 bit applications that have not addressed the /largeaddressaware issue...

so you were both talking about different things tbh....

maybe they will do a 64bit game this year, they hired extra staff for all the extra income they got because of steam and all the pirates

I hope so; even my grandmother has a 64bit computer. The problem is that there is no real competitor anymore to force SI making this move. Even though I didn't liked the new CM franchise, but it's thanks to them that SI started with the 3d.

I would also like to see this happen, although I can only see it becoming reality if SI released both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, as they have always said they want to target as many "possible" purchasers as possible, and make the game as "inclusive" as possible. I should imagine there are very few people around who are unable to run FM at the minute, but if SI switched to an exclusive 64-bit game, then that number would shoot up

• 3 weeks later...
I play 250 leagues with 116 nation and (player pool 390,000 at start) on a 8 gig ram computer and i wish to see it all my ram usable for fm... Yes It's on my wishlist... an 64 bit fm13...

Wow exactly how long does it take you to complete a season? I have the same amount of ram but would never attempt that amount of leagues because I think it would take ages to process just one game never mind play a full season.

• 11 months later...
Wow exactly how long does it take you to complete a season? I have the same amount of ram but would never attempt that amount of leagues because I think it would take ages to process just one game never mind play a full season.

I doubt processing the games actually takes that long, unless he has put them all on full detail (though multicore processors can chunk out full detail results quite fast). From my experience processing is slowest during transfer windows and when new seasons are about to start, which is not all that surprising. The day to day stuff seems relatively quick though I'm only running about 100k players. Got some stuff on full detail, notably countries and leagues where i've managed before. I got an old i7 870 processor which will spike to 100% for a bit while doing the full detail matches. Note that ticking the "use saturday and wednesday match days" in network settings would usually mean matches are being processed while you play your own match.

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. amd trinity a10-5800k black edition with 16 gb ddr3 ram id like to see a 64 bit fm if its possible to do it of course. (surely it wouldnt mean changing much would it) and if so maybe the could i dont know release both versions if its just simple fixes

The common consensus in the games sector seems to be that dedicating time & resources to developing a 64bit .exe isn't a worthwhile endeavour, this could change when PS4 & Xbox whatever come out as dev teams might start to consider making use of the extra RAM available in the hardware.

Posting the STEAM statistics aren't much use when looking at FM, per se. SI/SEGA have consistently said that the average Computer Spec of an FM player is much lower than that of a typical STEAM gamer.

Even if they did release a 64 bit version, the performance increase probably wouldn't be the sea change some might hope it is. It'll help, definitely, but not massively. They could probably optimise some of the functions and get a performance gain just as big.

I'm guessing if they were going to implent the change for FM2014 they wouldn't confirm anything in here :)

Only SI knows how it would change the game and what difference it would make, I'm sure they have looked into it and have a rough idea.

Archived