Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FM2012 not running on Mac - SI aware and looking into it

Amateur

Unfortunately another issue has occurred. I don't know if I'm the only but since the last update Steam is occupying the cpu at 200%. It never occurred before, never.
    I never heard my Macbook Pro fans running as much as tonight. I don't know what's going on but it seems that there's a small bug that keeps the CPU running for no apparent reason.

Can somebody else double check whether this happens to you as well?

If so, can you ask Valve guys to investigate this? Thanks

Explanatory pic: http://cl.ly/0Y301q462l3r1O3N0J3e

Amateur

On a a side note: I tried both online and offline mode and I tried disabling the in-game steam community. Nothing has changed.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by elbryan View Post
    Unfortunately another issue has occurred. I don't know if I'm the only but since the last update Steam is occupying the cpu at 200%. It never occurred before, never.
    I never heard my Macbook Pro fans running as much as tonight. I don't know what's going on but it seems that there's a small bug that keeps the CPU running for no apparent reason.

I saw that mentioned on the Steam site in a thread not related to FM, so it has been reported.

Amateur

Mines working now, wish i'd of seen this thread this morning and saved myself a day of uninstalling and re-installing FM. Gutted i've got to re-download all my logos and face-packs again and i've lost all my saved games.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    I saw that mentioned on the Steam site in a thread not related to FM, so it has been reported.
    Oh thank you so much. I figured out it wasn't FM fault but, you know, lately has been quite a mess

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by crossy1686 View Post
    Mines working now, wish i'd of seen this thread this morning and saved myself a day of uninstalling and re-installing FM. Gutted i've got to re-download all my logos and face-packs again and i've lost all my saved games.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
    A small suggestion for the future: don't ever never ever touch your saved data. I guess you deleted it manually because Steam isn't touching your saved games as long as I know.

Amateur

havnt reeived an update from steam for the fix. where is it?

Amateur

goddit!! had to restart steam twice but it seems fine now. shouldnt steam be dry running these updates on various operating systems so they can see and de-bug any issues before rolling them out? but thanks to the SI guys for keeping us updated

Amateur

YEAH,just update, works for me 2

SOLUTION:
    Just go to Offline Mode on Steam and run FM. Works for me.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    Yeah sorry I should have been clearer - just allow Steam to update and it should allow you to run FM.
    cheers!!! it's launched now...

Semi Pro

It works now.
    Thanks for your support.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Thanks for your patience, \pulls tongue from cheek/

Nah, we all shared your frustration.

Amateur

Mine so far hasn't changed, says my Steam is up to date and still can't launch the game.

Part-Timer

Thanks for that. Working now after a frustrating day where I thought it was my game that was corrupt!

Thanks again

Amateur

Mine also is not working, even though the updates have been installed and everything has been restarted.

The update that has been installed is the same one that started the problem, the one from April 19th. I don't see any sign of a new update from steam.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by devlinmolloy View Post
    Mine also is not working, even though the updates have been installed and everything has been restarted.

The update that has been installed is the same one that started the problem, the one from April 19th. I don't see any sign of a new update from steam.
    You don't see anything until you restart Steam. When you restart it, the update will start and everything will run smooth (but the CPU consumption).

Lurker

mine not working either, currently running osx 10.7.3
    Didn't work all day yesterday so thought I would leave it until this morning.
    When I check for updates on steam it says I am up to date but when I click on play on FM i just get the 'preparing to launch' box which then disappears?

Any other ideas? really appreciate any help!

Amateur

I did restart it actually, several times. And verified the identity and several times. And reinstalled it several times.

I guess we still have to wait for a proper fix...

Reserves

Same is happening to me. My fan is constantly whirring really loud, never happened before.

Checked activity monitor as well and Steam is using up over 200%
    Last edited by Candre168; 21-04-2012 at 10:18.

Amateur

Problem solved after the new update.

One day down....bad....but accetable

Now the problem is that the game seems to be much more CPU demanding, overheating my poor laptop. What's up ?

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Thain View Post
    Now the problem is that the game seems to be much more CPU demanding, overheating my poor laptop. What's up ?
    Yes, this precisely.

Amateur

Still not working. My steam version is 1334987928. Anyone who get it work, running on this version or later.

Amateur

Just open steam and select "check for updates". For me this worked.

activity monitor says that steam is using 66% of my CPU and FM 130%. Wow could it be overclocking ?

This could be a big problem...overheating is really bad for our batteries

Amateur

My steam version is the same as vorvee's, and it is still not working.

The only update I have seen is the April 19th update that caused the problem. Is there really another update out there?

Amateur

They are working on this CPU problem. The slowdown is due to Steam, not FM. So, there's nothing that SI guys have to fix.

If you are willing to be sure you are running the latest version of Steam, you have to open it and wait 10 minutes and then *close* it.
    After you re-open it, the updates are going to be applied.

The latest version is this: http://cl.ly/460E3p0P3Y3728440s0w

Lurker

Just put mine on, and clicked on check for updates, says steam up to date but FM still not working

Amateur

steam still not updated, having the same problem

Amateur

Mine is on latest version, however, the problem is still.

Do I have to re-download/re-install FM2012? I re-installed steam and restored FM from backup files, but it did't work.

Amateur

The overheating problems seems similar to those experienced while using wine or other wrappers to rum Windows games on mac.

Well i hope that Steam will solve this and that my laptop will not melt meanwhile

Amateur

I'm having the same issue with the CPU with Steam I can't really play smoothly without it being fixed please SI contact Steam to fix this. 3 days without FM now.

Amateur

Unfortunately, even if you have the latest version. Which I now do, the one in your screenshot. FM prepres to load and then closes for unexpected reasons...
    Vorvee, I'm going to install FM again entirely

-----------------------------------------------

Update: installed FM, no change.

So....either it doesn't work at all even if you reinstall, update, & restart or it does work with this crazy CPU usage problem.
    Last edited by devlinmolloy; 21-04-2012 at 11:35.

Amateur

So....either it doesn't work at all even if you reinstall, update, & restart or it does work with this crazy CPU usage problem.
    Precisely.

Try simply to close-reopen steam ?

Amateur

It has to work. Furthermore, Valve is working to solve the CPU problem.

Amateur

just download client steam and install it, when it ask for replace, click yes.

Amateur

If you want, I found a small fix.

Run Steam, run the game. The CPU will go over 200%.
    Open Activity Monitor and get the PID of the Steam app: http://cl.ly/1m2T0C2O2u1u0n1P3u21

Now open Terminal.app (or whatever terminal you like) and issue "kill -STOP PID" (see the screenshot).
    This will pause the process.

Before shutting down the game, you may want to restart it: just issue "kill -CONT PID".

Enjoy

Amateur

Ok, it's not really that good as solution. Sometimes it may happens that you have to go back to the terminal, issue the -CONT signal, and then go back, go ahead and re-pause the process again.

Well.. it's better than nothing, anyway

Amateur

Still dont work.

Amateur

Hi guys, I've downloaded steam again when it asks if you want to replace say yes, and that's it, now I'm playing, I hope that you will work

Amateur

Anyone having this issue when re-installing? Gets to 15MB then says that network is not connected? This is really starting to grind my gears SI.

Pic here: https://twitter.com/#!/dannyok/statu.../photo/1/large

Reserves

I would be careful with this CPU problem. Overheating can be devastating for your machine. Better wait for a fix and keep your machine safe. Doubt it'll be long.

Yeah we've been in contact with Valve and they are looking into this CPU issue - we'll update you when we hear any further updates.

Amateur

Am I the only one who has updated, reinstalled, and it still doesn't work? I hear a lot of mention of the CPU usage problem, and that must be fixed. But I think that the problem of accessing FM is still not solved for many people. Neil, are Valve aware of this? THank you for all your help.

Reserves

Yeah we've been in contact with Valve and they are looking into this CPU issue - we'll update you when we hear any further updates.
    Thanks. Hopefully everything is fixed soon.

Am I the only one who has updated, reinstalled, and it still doesn't work? I hear a lot of mention of the CPU usage problem, and that must be fixed. But I think that the problem of accessing FM is still not solved for many people. Neil, are Valve aware of this? THank you for all your help.
    What exactly is happening when you try to play? Have you updated Steam? Do you get some kind of error message?

Amateur

My steam is updated but the problem still remains. The game wont launch. Starting to get really mad like...

Amateur

When I click on play FM, I get the window "Preparing to load Football Manager 12." Then the FM icon in my dashboard comes up as if it's about to start, and then I get error message from the Mac OS (unlike the previous message, it is not from Steam) "Football Manager 2012 v 12 . 2 . 2 f 259407 quit unexpectedly," and then FM goes away.

I've updated steam and done literally everything everyone said here and everywhere else. Several times. I don't know how many hours of troubleshooting it's been but way too many.

I purchased FM online and downloaded on April 20th, ironically on the day that the bug happened. Maybe that has something to do with it, but I have reinstalled FM today.

Amateur

Default Updates?

Has there been any indication as to when the CPU issue is expected to be fixed, and in the mean time is SI's official recommendation forMac users to refrain from playing FM12 until the issue is fixed?

Please advise SI.

I'm not a Mac expert so it's difficult for me to provide a comment which it totally informed but if you're not sure I'd err on the side of caution with this one. I'm still unfortunately waiting for an update.

devlinmolloy - just to clarify - you've never been able to run the game? Do you know what type of graphics card you have on your Mac?

Amateur

mine works now.

i spent last night with my wife instead of playing FM and realised i don't like her at all. damn you steam you have ruined my marriage.
    thank god it works now

Amateur

Will there be an official Football Manager announcement on the website or on Twitter etc as soon as the CPU issue is resolved?

Amateur

Neil, I have never been able to run the game. I downloaded it on Friday, and it has not worked. I have enough free memory and my processors are fine. I do think it has to do with steam, but I don't know. Are there other people for whom FM is still not loading, even with updates?

I'm not sure how to classify what graphics card I have on my Mac. But here is a copy and paste of the Graphics/Displays section of "About this Mac." I'm sure the relevant name/number is listed:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x27a2
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

Amateur

How to solve a problem with the CPU load at 200%?

Still not working, Steam says its up to date but the game is doing what it was before.

I'm very doubtful I'll buy this game again next year if it still forces me to use Steam.

Amateur

Works for me but its overclocking the cpu.

Amateur

I really do love Football Manager, and have done for many years....but there have been way to many issues over the past few years. General issues with Mac compatibility, but mainly huge issues with Steam. Please SI, go back to the way it was before Steam and do us all a favour.

PS Please get this CPU issue sorted ASAP.

Amateur

Ok so Steam really needs to get this CPU thing sorted quickly playing like this is almost impossible I really would love to play tomorrow this shouldn't be a issue for something you bought.

Amateur

just checked mine and its running at 100% cpu usage. my macbook pro sounds like its about to launch missiles.

hope they fix this asap

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    just checked mine and its running at 100% cpu usage. my macbook pro sounds like its about to launch missiles.

hope they fix this asap
    Mine was at 202% steady at one point, it was like an aeroplane was taking off in my room .

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Candre168 View Post
    Mine was at 202% steady at one point, it was like an aeroplane was taking off in my room .
    Same here. But what are Steam doing about it?

Amateur

my solution - launch FM then force quit steam through activity monitor.

haven't had any problems so far

Amateur

This is stupid SI

Neil, I have never been able to run the game. I downloaded it on Friday, and it has not worked. I have enough free memory and my processors are fine. I do think it has to do with steam, but I don't know. Are there other people for whom FM is still not loading, even with updates?I'm not sure how to classify what graphics card I have on my Mac. But here is a copy and paste of the Graphics/Displays section of "About this Mac." I'm sure the relevant name/number is listed:Intel GMA 950: Chipset Model: GMA 950 Type: GPU Bus: Built-In VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory Vendor: Intel (0x8086) Device ID: 0x27a2 Revision ID: 0x0003 Displays:Color LCD: Resolution: 1280 x 800 Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Built-In: YesDisplay Connector: Status: No Display Connected
    I'm very sorry to say your graphics card is below minimum specs for FM12 and you will not be able to run the game. Sorry about that.

The CPU issue is still being investigating, it's a case of tracking it down and again rolling out the fix.

Amateur

Still not working, i tried to force close the steam after launching FM2012, but then FM2012 used all the CPU.

Neil Brock, any news from Valve have they found anything major yet? Can we expect this to be fixed even today?

Semi Pro

It seems, for me at least that the processor stays under 20% playing in offline mode. Before hand it was up to 150% before i'd even loaded the game.

Amateur

Hey Guys,

best thing to do until the over clocking is fixed it to roll back to the previous version of steam, you can do this by doing the following:

Steam uninstall/reinstall:

1. Go to 'Applications' in a Finder window, and drag Steam to Trash
    2. when asked if you want to keep files or delete make sure you KEEP files (i think its the option on the left)
    3. Empty Trash
    4. Redownload and install Steam
    5. Allow it to autoupdate
    6. Launch FM

This worked for me and my friends, the only thing you need to remember is that you CANNOT restart steam or your computer afterwords!! if you do then steam will update again and the overclocking problem will return!

just check this forum every now and then to see when the overclocking is fixed, that way you know when you can update.

Amateur

I don't seem to have any problem at all - on or offline.

One question - and this may be me being dense - is the fact that the CPU % goes over 100% even an issue? Because if its 100% of not alot then it isnt an issue? Take this screenshot from elbryan's post earlier... http://cl.ly/0Y301q462l3r1O3N0J3e Yes his CPU% is high but it is a high percentage of low usage as in the bottom left corner it says that the overall CPU usage is 75% idle. This is what I occasionally see on my system but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm guessing i'm being over simplistic and hopefully someone can explain why i'm wrong!!

D

Amateur

So I woke up and started up Steam then restarted it and it updated, CPU problem is fixed now thanks to JoeR from Valve over at the Steam forums thank you. BACK TO FM YEAH

Amateur

Re-installed steam didnt work out for me

Actually the problem doesnt seem to be CPU-usage, its more like FM eating all the memory when trying to launch (FM using 2Ghz of my 4Ghz)

Amateur

The CPU issue has been fixed: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...89&postcount=7
    Auto-update and enjoy!

@Ipswich: it's because I have 8 cores and 2 were busy with Steam: 2/8 = 25% busy (75% idle)

Amateur

Just backing up Mo.AMM... the CPU issue is fixed (at least for me). Here's hoping for a problem free FM run again. Thanks JoeR from Valve.

Yeah just to confirm the CPU issue has now been fixed on Steam.

Amateur

The CPU issue has been fixed: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...89&postcount=7
    Auto-update and enjoy!

@Ipswich: it's because I have 8 cores and 2 were busy with Steam: 2/8 = 25% busy (75% idle)

Ok - I won't lie I'm still confused! I also have 8 cores... Is that saying that to run fm and steam as well as OS that the system only needs 25% of the available processing power?

D

Reserves

Steam is not updating itself for me.

EDIT: Took seven restarts but it has now
    Last edited by Candre168; 22-04-2012 at 11:24.

Amateur

Still not working for me saying the game is unavailable and that everything is fully updated i have restarted steam several times and checked for updates but still not working

Amateur

Halleluja halleluja !

Ok Thanks for your support ^_^

Amateur

Well.. it's a little bit different. The thing is that these programs are not covering all the available processing units. Furthermore the OS, once loaded, resides in the memory and there's no actual process which is needed to consume the CPU (in a sense).

It will take five years to me to explain this in detail. Just play FM

Lurker

Mine still isn't back to normal. Even before I get to an actual game it's running at nearly 170%

Amateur

I seem to have the right build of Steam but it still seems incredibly sluggish and ive had two "crashes" we're the comp just go bananas and steam close down and little bit later fm closes down, and all my progress is lost even with auto saves. This have never happened to me before this steam hick-up...

Still not working for me. Not sure when steam is going to be fixed but its a joke all round between SI and Steam. I don't have hours to go through the various fixes suggested and want a game to play when i have spare time not spend 2 hours trying to find fixes.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by slimucci View Post
    I really do love Football Manager, and have done for many years....but there have been way to many issues over the past few years. General issues with Mac compatibility, but mainly huge issues with Steam. Please SI, go back to the way it was before Steam and do us all a favour.

PS Please get this CPU issue sorted ASAP.
    Fully agree I love FM 2012 but not a fan of steam

Amateur

Has there been any fix yet? MAC user same problem

Quote Originally Posted by GVC28 View Post
    Has there been any fix yet? MAC user same problem
    Have replied to your PM. Thanks.

Amateur

Work for 2 days and crash today. I don't change anything...

Amateur

I post this in another thread, seems that this one is more popular. Until early this week I was a happy manager of a small Chilean team, now I can not enter FM12 in my MAC. I have deleted steam with appcleaner now three times, re-downloading FM the same amount of times, and the game refuses to start. I only see the initial flash screen, but when it is about to show the main screen (the one with new game, load game, etc) the only thing I got is an screen that says "Loading" in a bunch of languages.

As you can see in
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/fm2012.png/

The CPU usage of FM is 110%!
    Last edited by ferrando; 01-05-2012 at 01:20. Reason: image added

Still no solution. Pathetic.

Amateur

Thought I was the only one. I have an i5 processor and 8GB of ram on my macbook pro and my FM crashes regularly (usually when using the match engine but sometimes just browsing). I think the problem is with Steam though, b/c I've started to notice that Steam usually closes shortly before it crashes.

Amateur

Is there any more news with this? I updated my Steam a few days ago after not playing FM for a couple of months, and my FM pops up with a launch message when I try to open it, but this only flashes up for about a second, and then nothing else happens.

Sports Interactive
    Mac Support

Closing this down now as the original issue has long been sorted. Any individual issues should be posted in the Mac Specific Issues area of the bug's forum. Thanks.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3