Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FM2012 not running on Mac - SI aware and looking into it

Amateur

Same issue - Mac OSX 10.6.8

Same problem...Steam & Mac user (Mac OSX 10.7.3)

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Thain View Post
    i REALLY hope that those issues will not have any effect on my saved games...
    Your posts aren't helping anyone and are just unneeded spam, it seams you have just signed up to abuse staff who put plenty of hours in to help people.

Amateur

if you run steam in off-line mode (to prevent it updating), can you still play FM?

Default Come on sega, pust 'dem steam developers!!!!

Been loyal to this game since Amiga, down with lung disease, wife and kids shipped of to mother in law, have time to enjoy FM2012 for the first time. Step up, at least provide us with a quick fix.

I know it is quite a task to ask Steam to provide an update to solve this issue, but there MUST be a workaround!?!?!

My info:
    MAC OS X, 10.6.8
    Football manager 2012
    Latest Steam update

Any news before you leave for weekend !??!?!

Any estimates on when this is solved? Are we wasting our time hoping this will be solved today??

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by rhett_72 View Post
    if you run steam in off-line mode (to prevent it updating), can you still play FM?
    First thing I tried, still didn't load.

Amateur

Football Manager 2011 v 11.3.0 f 193246 quit unexpectedly...................... whats going on? how many years do i have to go back???? that is what exactly happen when u buy something.. sad story

Amateur

211 users browsing this post. At least we're not alone in our suffering for this issue ^_^

Amateur

same problem mac user osx 10.7.3

Banned

Steam is a great system, but this issue is crap.

Do SI have any kind of insurance provision in their contract with steam to provide for loss of image and brand value as a result of such problems?

Amateur

same problem! I have bougth my mac 2 weeks ago and now i miss my windows PC I hope Steam will do something! And i hope that Sigames never wil use Steam in the future!

Amateur

I think not. If you have the issue, you've already downloaded the "Update" so you have to wait for Steam to solve the proble (Maybe they call the society "steam" because they only have steam age technology and this will explain something...)

The only way to avoid this problem is to avoid shutting down steam BEFORE the update is done, but if you're reading this post it's because you already have the issue. sadly

219 angry player browsing this Thread...
    Last edited by Thain; 20-04-2012 at 15:24.

Amateur

Yes. Same for me. The game has stopped working since the new steam client has updated.

However, it is a serious thing that has happened. There may be a game so dependent on an external system

Amateur

Sooooo, I am browsing this thread from work waiting for the WE and I am a bit worried! I am on Mac, do you think turning off my internet connection, start Steam in offline mode, desactivate auto update in Steam, start FM, then switch on internet connection will work in order to play FM?

Amateur

Default Patience is a commodity

Same here for everything.. Played FM for many'a year on Windows, 3rd day of using my new Mac and this happens! Pretty gutted to be fair.. Hopefully this needs to be sorted as soon as possible but I'm sure SI are doing everything in their power to get it going! Everyone just needs to be a little bit more patient but there's only so much browser games you can play

Amateur

A potential fix for people desperately wanting to play the game is this.

Completely wipe your mac, I mean reformat it back to factory settings.

I did this earlier and could play the game. Unfortunately I restarted my computer thinking it was fixed and as soon as I tried after the restart same thing happened.

So just to clarify you must completely wipe your computer, so before doing so make sure you back up everything you need on an external hard-drive.

EDIT: For anybody not familiar with how to do that here is a link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4913938_clea...ard-drive.html

Hey Enforcer122, patience is a good thing, but I work with business critical software, and if my customers where to wait 12+ hours for an update (for their app to launch), heads would roll But true, patience is a good thing.

I would love a quickfix though, a little hack/workaround that would help our addictive lost souls :-D

Lurker

Problem exists for me also, I only got my Mac a few days ago after using windows pc, I hope this problem get fixed soon, as its extremely frustrating

Amateur

A potential fix for people desperately wanting to play the game is this.

Completely wipe your mac, I mean reformat it back to factory settings.

I did this earlier and could play the game. Unfortunately I restarted my computer thinking it was fixed and as soon as I tried after the restart same thing happened.

So just to clarify you must completely wipe your computer, so before doing so make sure you back up everything you need on an external hard-drive.

EDIT: For anybody not familiar with how to do that here is a link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4913938_clea...ard-drive.html

Amateur

Yes my friend that's a very good point! Brain Clough famously said 'They said Rome wasn't built in a day.. I wasn't on that particular job.' perhaps we should get Brian Clough on Steam? Things would happen then haha

Reserves

I tried this, and it does not work.

Amateur

Im a PC user and i have the same problem. The game starts loading up normally but then just shuts down

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Machete82 View Post
    Im a PC user and i have the same problem. The game starts loading up normally but then just shuts down
    Pretty sure that's not associated with this issue, had a look in the FAQ's?

Amateur

temporary solution. reinstall your steam and ignore the update, never restart it, and you can play...

Amateur

Well it is exactly the same issue everyone else seems to have. Played just fine yesterday but havent had any luck today.

hmmm seems like Steam installs the update on startup, I have no chance avoiding the update?

Amateur

251 mac football manager 2012 owners annoyed cos they cant play their game

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by stefantastisk View Post
    hmmm seems like Steam installs the update on startup, I have no chance avoiding the update?
    the initial download is fine, just don't update after launching steam

Amateur

Hmm. Its not even updating now. I've yet to install the 12.2.2 update and now it doesn't do anything when it tries to update... It says its paused and just does nothing when you ask to resume the download.

Hi everyone, sorry for the problem you’re encountering with running FM via Steam on the Mac, we are currently still waiting for a response for Valve in regards to this issue.

However, we are aware of a short-term fix which will allow you to play the game until the problem is properly resolved.

First uninstall Steam (keep the game files when prompted), then reinstall Steam but do not apply the latest update – it will ask you to restart following reinstall – do not allow it to restart at this point.

Install Football Manager 2012 – it will automatically be at the latest version and will allow you to load up the game and play it normally.

Do not worry about losing your Football Manager saves when uninstalling Steam, they are saved in a different location and will not be touched.

Apologies to any of you that have encountered this issue, as stated before we are attempting to contact Valve to get this resolved as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Neil Brock; 20-04-2012 at 16:52.

Amateur

Default Now works

Download Steam Mac client from Steam website. Allow Steam to auto update on start and now I have my FM back.

Amateur

Steam should have a roll back option with their software so users can revert back to the previous version when these update issues occur.

I don't think I'll ever buy a game that is exclusive to steam again. I returned to this FM series after a 5 year sabbatical this year and was concerned right from the start that the game was via steam only. This issue has now convinced me that I'll NEVER buy this or any game on steam again. Hard copy or I just won't bother in future.

Just adding what mods deleted...

Hope you are listening SEGA / SI
    Last edited by welshred76; 20-04-2012 at 16:36. Reason: Foul language

Amateur

EDIT: no its not sorry - still broken
    Last edited by Ipswich Staying Up; 20-04-2012 at 16:34.

Amateur

I'm from Denmark, but currently living in London. This means that my copy of Football Manager 2012 is still in Denmark.

If I do this short-term solution, will I be able to install Football Manager again without CD?

Amateur

It works for a while, but when or if you restart Steam it updates automatically and the game doesn't work again.

And, sincerely Neil, it doesn't sound as a real solution but more as an ECB decision: good for a moment but nothing more.

How is possible that you are still waiting for a response from Valve? After 14 hours?

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffon88 View Post
    I'm from Denmark, but currently living in London. This means that my copy of Football Manager 2012 is still in Denmark.

If I do this short-term solution, will I be able to install Football Manager again without CD?
    Yes, once registered on Steam you can download your game from anywhere on any PC.

Quote Originally Posted by jandileida View Post
    It works for a while, but when or if you restart Steam it updates automatically and the game doesn't work again.

And, sincerely Neil, it doesn't sound as a real solution but more as an ECB decision: good for a moment but nothing more.

How is possible that you are still waiting for a response from Valve? After 14 hours?
    Neil did say it was a temp fix and you shouldn't restart Steam.

Amateur

Frankly guys, we appreciate the support you are trying to give through the SI community, but let's be honest : what's happening with Steam and this FM is not very serious regarding the customers....

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Trion View Post
    Download Steam Mac client from Steam website. Allow Steam to auto update on start and now I have my FM back.
    That´s work!!! Thanks!!!

Amateur

followed Trion above, and just visited steam website, downloaded steam and reinstalled it over the steam i had.

when it loaded it gave me a message asking steam to restart which i cancelled and thanking me for participating in a beta.
    happened 3 times, then it loaded football 2012 as normal.

so back for now, not sure if i reload steam if will work again.

good luck

Amateur

Hello everyone,

Uninstall steam (keep the game files when prompted)

Re-Install steam

All works fine.

Did not even have to re-install my games.

Quote Originally Posted by welshred76 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Re-Install steam

All works fine.

Thanks for this, I've updated my post so it references this.

Amateur

Gbr

Same issue here, running mac osx lion, latest patch and using the ridiculous new steam update. Why would they release such a flawed update? Surely it is their duty as the only legal way to play the game to ensure updates have been tested fully. I'm unhappy enough about having to be tied down to having to install steam to play the game, furious I now cannot even play the game because of it.

I have paid money for a game I cannot play.. brilliant. Yes, I will have to be patient and wait for steam to fix this issue, but that does nothing for the fact that I brought the game and could not play it on my day off work. If steam are going to have the tenacity to force users to install their latest patches and release such sloppy updates, then they should have at least the decency to provide a means of downgrading to a previous version that actually works.

Amateur

Completely new to Mac, so here is a rookie question: How do you uninstall on a Mac?

Amateur

same problems here, wont launch, dont have time to reinstall everything wanted a quick go. Sick of Steam. ON a Mac.

Ok...now it starts!!!

Re install steam

Amateur

Do exactly what welshred76 says

Amateur

it works!!

Amateur

Tried installing Steam, just get a blank web page: http://media.steampowered.com/client...ller/steam.dmg

Completely new to Mac, so here is a rookie question: How do you uninstall on a Mac?
    http://community.sigames.com/showthr...=1#post7184737

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Trion View Post
    Works for me too, thanks.

Amateur

I didn't have to reinstall, download steam .dmg again open it and when you drag the app to the applications folder just say replace, it will start to update and ask you to restart just say no to the restart and it seems to fix the issue.

Amateur

yep worked for me too

Amateur

You shouldn't even need to re-install steam man..... So if I wait a few days, are you going to fix it so you DONT need to re-install it?
    Last edited by Kriss; 20-04-2012 at 17:20.

Amateur

The above-mentioned solution does not work for me. I have the same problem of "Preparing to load Football Manager" and then Football Manager 2012 v 12 . 2 .2 . 2 f 259407 quit unexpectedly.

I presume the above-mentioned solution is only a quick fix that works for only some.

I just figured I would put that out there so we don't get too excited.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeenut View Post
    I didn't have to reinstall, download steam .dmg again open it and when you drag the app to the applications folder just say replace, it will start to update and ask you to restart just say no to the restart and it seems to fix the issue.
    this just temp fix

Amateur

can somebody tell me how to uninstall steam im a complete mac noob n the instructions have me lost

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by kerrysen View Post
    can somebody tell me how to uninstall steam im a complete mac noob n the instructions have me lost
    I didn't have to uninstall. Just download Mac Steam client from Steam website and install over your current Steam client. i.e. go to website, download Steam for Mac, open .dmg file, drag Steam icon into Applications folder.

Quote Originally Posted by kerrysen View Post
    http://community.sigames.com/showthr...=1#post7184737

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by welshred76 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Re-Install steam

All works fine.

NO, not works after I restart steam
    Last edited by zippoice; 20-04-2012 at 17:42.

Semi Pro

Full Steam uninstall/reinstall:

1. Go to 'Applications' in a Finder window, and drag Steam to Trash
    2. Accept the prompt which asks if you want to delete the Application Support files as well (If you do not receive this prompt then navigate to 'Application Support' and put the Steam folder into Trash)
    3. Empty Trash
    4. Redownload and install Steam
    5. Allow it to autoupdate
    6. Launch FM

N.B. Do not close and reopen Steam after having gone through these steps as the client will autoupdate again. Also, do not update the client when a pop-up asks you to.
    Last edited by Luke Warrington; 20-04-2012 at 17:41.

Amateur

so you just basically installed it over your version of steam already? cuz i got as far as to replace it but didnt no whether too

Amateur

Gbr

How to provide a temporary fix explained in detail:
    First off, you need to access your ~library folder. if you are unsure how to do this, here is a fantastic guide:
    http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/acces...-in-os-x-lion/

- You then need to find this folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps
    - Copy the "steamapps" folder to your desktop (just drag and drop). Keep the finder window at this location open for convenience.

- Go to the steam homepage and download the client install .dmg.
    - Go to your main applications folder and move the steam application to trash.
    - Open the installer and drag and drop the application into your applications folder.

- Before launching steam again copy the "steamapps" folder into your open finder window in the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/ folder.

- Launch the steam application as normal, do not worry that it says it's updating the client. Fm 12 will now work as long as steam is not quitted as restarting steam after this will automatically update to the broken client version.

I hope this helps. I am playing the game as I write this (it's windowed).

nb: by copying and pasting your "steamapps" folder you are saving the downloaded game and will not need to re-download the files. Saved games are safe as they are located in your documents folder and not in the steam application folder you are deleting. I'm not sure if the other ways mentioned ensure the the game does not need to be re-downloaded, but i wasn't going to risk it.
    Last edited by EquinoxVIII; 20-04-2012 at 17:51.

Amateur

I've just done this - downloaded stem from the website. Opened the archive and dragged steam to my applications folder, overwriting the old file, waited for it to update and fm runs

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Warrington View Post

2. Accept the prompt which asks if you want to delete the Application Support files as well (If you do not receive this prompt then navigate to 'Application Support' and put the Steam folder into Trash)
    3. Empty Trash
    6. Launch FM

N.B. Do not close and reopen Steam after having gone through these steps as the client will autoupdate again. Also, do not update the client when a pop-up asks you to.
    This only can temp fix and I mentioned on the first page. That means I can not close the steam and have to keep the computer on.

Amateur

Yeah its worked for me to, but seems to be a temp fix as when I restarted steam to test it, it wouldn't work. So did the same process again and it works, just not going to Quit Steam until theres an update lol. I never shut the Mac down anyway, just let it fall to sleep, much better.

Amateur

3. Empty Trash
    6. Launch FM

The autoupdate you mentioned is the update that caused the problem. The update that caused the problem is during the steam is on, not the moment of starting the steam.\

my solution is after reinstalling steam, go to offline mode , do not let steam to update.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by stretts View Post
    Yeah its worked for me to, but seems to be a temp fix as when I restarted steam to test it, it wouldn't work. So did the same process again and it works, just not going to Quit Steam until theres an update lol. I never shut the Mac down anyway, just let it fall to sleep, much better.
    yes, that makes you can not shut the computer off. try my way, after re-installing the steam, go to offline mode immediately . that means do not let steam updated.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by zippoice View Post
    The autoupdate you mentioned is the update that caused the problem. The update that caused the problem is during the steam is on, not the moment of starting the steam.\

my solution is after reinstalling steam, go to offline mode , do not let steam to update.
    So there's no fix at the moment.

Amateur

This isn't the first time Mac users have been left without FM, after a Steam update. Not happy.

I only want to play FM, not have to uninstall, reinstall blinkng Steam! :@

Amateur

Hi guys, I have the same problem with you guys. I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.3. Yesterday I still played the game, just after this morning it's stop to launch.

So I see many people have succeed to reinstall the steam and the game is launched well.

A question here:

After you guys successfully reinstall the steam, and start the FM afterwards. So, the version of the FM is 12.2.2 or back 12.0 (the original one)

Just curious...

Amateur

I have solution. as I said above, after re-installing the steam(keep the files), change to offline mode immediately

Now, you can launch the game and close the steam.

Amateur

i have the same problem

Sports Interactive Grant Appleyard's Avatar

Hi Guys, quick update for you - as you can see from the Valve forum page - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2660869
    JoeR is on the case with this problem at their side. He's identified and fixed the problem with FM2011, and he's looking into FM2012 now. Once both are resolved he'll roll out an update straight away.
    We appreciate your patience in this matter.
    Grant

Amateur

This game is awesome but Steam, really, it sucks hard.

It's not possible that every time I have to suffer to play this game.

First Steam won't install on case-sensitive file systems, then it stops working if you install it on a file image (on the mac) and you have to clean the cache every time.
    Then Steam updates itself and yet again this fracking game won't start.

I know that piracy is bad but Steam is proving to be even worse. I'm telling you.

Is there an estimated time scale of when to expect this issue to be fixed? I only got FM today and, im itching to play

Amateur

thanks. hopefully it will be ready soon.

Gbr shepp

I must say i am very disappointed with yet another problem caused by stream. All us mac users want to do is play FM12 when we want to. Its about time the games people sorted there self out and gave us value for money. So yes how long have we got to wait for another fix??

Amateur

3. Empty Trash
    6. Launch FM

Having done this I went to start FM again and it has started to re-install the game.

Is this what is meant to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by parashepp999 View Post
    I must say i am very disappointed with yet another problem caused by stream. All us mac users want to do is play FM12 when we want to. Its about time the games people sorted there self out and gave us value for money. So yes how long have we got to wait for another fix??
    You might want to take this up on the Steam forum as well, that would also be the place to ask about timescales as it's actually their problem in this instance.

Amateur

I am playing FM2012 on my mac just now with no problems...

Lurker

Thank you! I hope it's soon, the wife's out and I want to play!

Amateur

Annoying problem, but the temp fix is even easier than it seems above. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ then click download steam. You don't even have to uninstall first. It will download, open the dmg, install like normal and it will tell you a copy already exists -- just click "replace".

Done, took me 90 seconds and I'm playing FM now. I suppose I'll have to keep steam offline from now on until the real fix so it doesnt update itself.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    You might want to take this up on the Steam forum as well, that would also be the place to ask about timescales as it's actually their problem in this instance.

Good luck with that, I still haven't had my account activated...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Kreman View Post
    Having done this I went to start FM again and it has started to re-install the game.

Is this what is meant to happen?
    Mine did this too, I didn't let it update, and it's still not working..

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by maxheadlee View Post
    Mine did this too, I didn't let it update, and it's still not working..
    Just hope this doesn't lose my career save

Amateur

Any update on this?

I believe the guys at Valve are still investigating the issue, hopefully they'll have it back up and running properly soon.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by acmilano112000 View Post
    Annoying problem, but the temp fix is even easier than it seems above. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ then click download steam. You don't even have to uninstall first. It will download, open the dmg, install like normal and it will tell you a copy already exists -- just click "replace".

Done, took me 90 seconds and I'm playing FM now. I suppose I'll have to keep steam offline from now on until the real fix so it doesnt update itself.
    I have found that doing this, I have been able to now play

(Iam running Mac Lion)
    Last edited by DirtyJoe; 20-04-2012 at 21:48.

Me too, its only taken me 5 hours

Youth Team
    If you're blind then you shouldn't be allowed wings

I haven't been able to play for a week because my dissertation deadline was yesterday. All I wanted to do today was sit in bed all day with a hangover and play football manager

Amateur

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from disc this didn't work, tried unistalling and re-installing from steam website, this did work. Kreman your save files should not be affected, apart from losing progress since the last save if it crash while in use.

Amateur

god damnit I uninstalled then reinstalled normally Nother hour of reinstalling then

Amateur

I've got it back now, just randomly pressed play, it took around 20 seconds but its loaded, anyone elses working now?

Youth Team
    If you're blind then you shouldn't be allowed wings

working for me now as well, thank god.

Amateur

Back for me now

Yeah the fix should now be rolling out and you should be able to update your game. Let us know if you have any issues and again apologies for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    Yeah the fix should now be rolling out and you should be able to update your game. Let us know if you have any issues and again apologies for the inconvenience.
    Is this fix an auto-update from steam? Just wondering so I can advise users on our own forum.

Cheers in advance.

Yeah sorry I should have been clearer - just allow Steam to update and it should allow you to run FM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast