Incapable of placing shots??

Hey guys, quick question.

My striker currently has 17 finishing, 16 technique, 17 composure, and i started preferred move training to make him place his shots. My shooting coach is very good (4.5 stars, 20 attack/technical coaching). The problem is that my striker remains incapable of placing shots, after three times of training.

At the same time, another striker with finishing 11, composure 13, technique 17 has learned to place shots with the first try.

Is there something i am overlooking (a hidden attribute for example?)

I'm pretty sure it's just luck as to whether PPM training is successful. While visible attributes may determine how worthwhile it is to get a player to learn a PPM, I don't think they have any bearing on whether the actual learning is successful or not.

Don't think of it as him not having the actual ability to place shots. He just has trouble changing his mindset. Which is just potluck, as JamesB said.

Lots of coaches tried to curb Gerrard's "Roy of the Rovers" tendencies, or thought he could be a DM, but he's always liked to get forward whenever possible. Not because he couldn't change, but because he wouldn't.

There was a really noticeable few months of his Man Utd career where Antonio Valencia had really clearly been told to trust his left foot more: while he can't shoot off it, he actually got a couple of assists and put in some very decent crosses with it, but he has such a mental block about avoiding using his weaker foot, that he soon reverted to his weird 1-foot only style.

That's the in-game idea. Sometimes players won't adopt a new style, even if it will really benefit their play, and they're ideally suited.

Clearly your player is just too fixed on smashing it in to be consistently trusted to choose a sidefoot instead. At least, because of his technique and finishing, he should smash it into the top corner, Jimmy Floyd Hasseilbank-style, and not just welly it over the bar.

He may simply be in capable of having this as a prefered move, he may instead blast them....I'm sure you've seen the FM commentary text along the lines of of " xxxx and his trademark finish, he loves to blast them into the net".

Thats simply it...his preferred move isn't to place them. I think Alan Shearer irl was similar

Archived