+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Third Time Lucky - Starting Where I Should Have

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    You'll be winning the CL in no time ;)
    Haha, I wish. Going to be hard to attract decent players in Championship currently deciding if I should stay or leave for a bigger side.

Amateur

Congrats on promoting again!

First Team Squad Member

Goals Galore to Claim the Title

Well Dave Nugent went a bit mad at the end of the season to make sure we went up as champions. Some impressive wins and like I said earlier although promotion was all that really mattered being Champions is great. We scored bucket loads but also conceded far too many not sure this type of all out attack will work in the Championship but it will be fun to find out.

Best 11

Nugent was easily the best signing and stepped up big time to replace Dicko during his injuries, despite not playing loads of game Dicko still scored loads. Lee Campbell the 6 foot 8 beast of a striker ended up playing on the left wing a lot over the season and breaking into double figures was pretty good for someone still so young. Elliot Whitehouse also got into double figures for the season from CM scoring some important goals. Suso Santana was not quite as good as last season but still put in some pleasing performances. Despite all the goals we let in the defence was pretty good ratings wise.

First Team Squad Member

Staying At Crewe.........For Now

I have turned down two job offers so far this summer, the Swansea one was tempting but their wage budget is too low for the amount they are currently paying players. Sporting just don't have the finances to persuade me to move from Crewe.

Reserves

Outscoring the opposition is the way to go...

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    Outscoring the opposition is the way to go...
    Sure is, should be interesting in the Championship. Although it is proving hard to sign players.

First Team Squad Member

First Cup Win!

We also claimed victory in the JPT obviously the biggest English domestic cup competition. We were lucky with the draw getting a few home games and reasonably easy opposition. Dave Nugent stepped up in the final to seal an easy win with a nice hat trick.

Youth Team

Nice! Congrats on the JPT!

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by cerud View Post
    Nice! Congrats on the JPT!
    Cheers, it's so important I nearly forgot to post about it.

Reserves

Forest . Congrats dude.

Youth Team

Congrats on the JPT!

Great season with Crewe. Brilliant work .

I would have taken the Swansea job .

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham Forest View Post
    Forest . Congrats dude.
    Hope you enjoy the challenge at Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by acidmonkey View Post
    Congrats on the JPT!
    Cheers dude.

Quote Originally Posted by SRL88 View Post
    Great season with Crewe. Brilliant work .

I would have taken the Swansea job .
    Thanks, I thought about the Swansea job and can honestly say if I was with any other club I would have left and took that offer.

First Team Squad Member

Transfers and Friendlies

Nowhere near as much movement as last season in the transfer window. First up was Fiston Maguire on loan from West Ham he is a decent DMC but will be playing at DC for us still only 17 years old he has very good attributes and will be starting a lot of games. Thomas Picci was a free transfer and is a current Italian U-21 international, I expect him to play quite a few matches he has good mental attributes and is rated at 5 stars for potential I can see us making a decent profit from him in a couple of seasons. Paul Connolly another loanee from Leeds is a good solid player that can play at RB but is a natural LB. Leandro was another free transfer and will probably be our starting GK, I am finding it hard to find a good GK for a side like mine. Lee Cattermole I tried to sign a month before his contract expired but he wanted £22,000 a week once his contract ran out he was willing to sign for £6,500 a week a bit of a difference. Lastly Thiago Rockenbach is a decent enough half Brazilian half German player that can play MC, AMC, ML and AML also another free player.

We are currently £800,000 in debt and over the wage budget by £9,000 a week mainly due to all the promotion raises in peoples contracts. I am hoping we can push into the top half of the Championship and maybe the play-off's if Dicko and Nugent can play as well as last season then we will score plenty of goals again, I am looking forward to seeing if all out attack will see us battered or if we can outscore people to push as high as possible in the league.

Friendlies have gone pretty well not losing any scoring plenty and boosting the morale of the team whilst getting the lads fit for the new season.

First Team Squad Member

August Update

Can't believe the start we have had Dicko and Nugent rotating between AMR and ST have been on fire. We are letting in more than one goal a game which you can see but we are scoring a whole load more. Our only loss in the league was an annoying one we went 2-0 down at home but turned it around to get to 2-2 only to concede a third goal a few minutes after our equaliser. If everyone stay fit then we have a good chance of making a real impact this season unfortunately Picci got off to a great start at MC averaging 7.67 for 5 matches but is now injured for 3-4 months. The key men will obviously be the front two Nugent and Dicko both stay fit we will keep scoring.

The match against Scunthorpe was the first round of the league cup where we won convincingly but we were thrashed 3-1 away at Premier League side Blackburn in the next round to end our cup run early.

Reserves

Storming start.

Youth Team

Great start to the campaign! Tough about the injury though...tell him to take an aspirin and quit whining ;)

Youth Team

great start for you,

First Team Squad Member

Thanks people.

Great start to the campaign! Tough about the injury though...tell him to take an aspirin and quit whining ;)
    If only that option was allowed on FM!

First Team Squad Member

September Update

So far we are still keeping pace at the top leading by a single point but holding a game in hand. At the moment it is a case of opening up a gap between us and the teams just below the play-off's then in a few months I can see where we are and know if we can challenge properly. Three home games and one away against a good Burnley side I thought three wins would be good and was hoping for a draw at Burnley but we went 3-0 down in the first half, we pulled on back after 68 minutes then they had a man sent off in the 72nd and we scored in the 74th but just couldn't get that third goal we needed. Dave Nugent is injured for 5-6 weeks which is a big blow but Lee Campbell has stepped up a bit and all it means is Dicko will be upfront with Suso Santana and Campbell on the wings.

Reserves

I'm amazed at how well things have gone at Crewe.

First Team Squad Member

So am I but I always get the feeling that it will go wrong.

First Team Squad Member

October Update All Falling Apart?

Thanks to two losses we have only got a two point lead from Wigan as they defeated us to close the gap. The QPR game as important because it was our game in hand and we could not capitalise. We are not scoring as many goals as normal and knowing the way morale works on this game two defeats on the spin can be followed by another few if the team don't win soon, next up is another away match this time against Derby, really need to get a win because three defeats in a row is poor.

First Team Squad Member

Doing really well with the Railwaymen, AB! Keep it up!

Reserves

Definitely not going wrong yet.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    Doing really well with the Railwaymen, AB! Keep it up!
    Thanks Crouchy.

Definitely not going wrong yet.
    Hope you're right.

First Team Squad Member

Still Going Strong - Sort Of

We have dropped to 2nd now one point behind leaders Wigan. It seems to be easier to score goals away from home at the moment, I mean home losses against Reading, Huddersfield and Cardiff is not the form of potential champions. Not sure what the hell happened in the Huddersfield game as I had it down as a reasonably easy win. 5-2 at Leicester, 4-0 at Oldham and 5-3 at Blackpool however shows we can play well away from home. Dicko continues to score but keeps picking up little injuries here and there with Nugent only scoring one hattrick since the last update. I think the league will be a four way shoot out between the top four clubs at the moment, should be an interesting season and we can get promoted as long as we start to beat teams like Reading and Huddersfield at home.

Semi Pro

Squeaky bum time!!!

Great stuff mate

Reserves

The dream's still alive.

First Team Squad Member

If you think its close now you will love the next update. Ever get ahead of yourself and start thinking of targets to sign for epl football even though you are not there yet? The dream is very much alive and I have never had three promotions in a row on any fm.

Reserves

I've never even had 2 in a row, so even being close to three would still be excellent.

First Team Squad Member

I've never even had 2 in a row, so even being close to three would still be excellent.
    I usually get stuck in the Championship for a while but manage to get promoted from League One and League Two on most saves.

First Team Squad Member

One Game From Glory

So with one game to go the top is very close three points between the top four. Our form has been decent-ish but if we have done slightly better than we would already be promoted. Chelsea knocked us out of the FA Cup and around that time we didn't win for five matches the loss against fellow promotion chasers Cardiff was a disappointment because it was such an important game. Dicko has been on fire as you can see and has scored for the last seven matches in a row. So here it is the last day of the season sees the following matches.

Reading Vs Crewe
    Wigan Vs Burnley
    Cardiff Vs Brighton
    Derby Vs QPR

There are lots of combinations of ifs and buts although the main thing to know is that if we win we are up simple as that. Reading beat us at our own ground so can we get revenge or is it another season in the Championship? Either way what a season.

Youth Team

Wow!! That truly is squeaky bum time

Best of luck - hope you come out of it with the title or at least automatic promotion

International Squad

Wow that really is tight. Good luck

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    Wow!! That truly is squeaky bum time

Best of luck - hope you come out of it with the title or at least automatic promotion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
    Wow that really is tight. Good luck
    Cheers I hope so to. Got to play the game after the Champions League Final and post the results up later tonight to build up the tension a bit more.

Reserves

Wow, not too bad a last game (though that goes with everyone) so should get 2nd.

Amateur

good luck hope you get promoted

Youth Team

That is definitely a tight schedule for the final match!

First Team Squad Member

I hope we can go up as well, like I said earlier never come close to three promotions in a row before.

First Team Squad Member

Premier League Here We Come

All the results went our way Wigan made sure they won by completely demolishing Burnley 9-0, the other two clubs couldn't capitalise on our 3-3 draw meaning we all ended on the same points and our goals took us through. Lee Campbell really stepped up and he will become a youth product that has played for us at all four levels of English football and he is still only 18 years old. Not sure what will happen with budgets but for us to stay up we will need some serious investment at the moment we are spending £68,000 a week on wages obviously we will need four or five times that to comfortably avoid relegation, it will be a big summer for us as I try to strengthen the team all over the pitch. Will post up a season review tomorrow, with best 11 and stuff, now off to find some EPL quality players willing to sign for us.

Reserves

Talk about a close finish!

First Team Squad Member

Closest I have ever experienced, kept telling the missus just one more match for about 30 minutes ended up playing out the season up until that last game.

First Team Squad Member

The board have announced a ground expansion not sure how helpful this will be.

Initial budgets are pretty good but I will have to convert some of the transfer money into wages because £125,000 is not enough to survive in the EPL. The question is do I take a risk and use some monthly payments to try and keep the club in the EPL comfortably or do I be extremely careful in who I sign and how much for?

Not sure I could leave Crewe even for Real Madrid, I am going to have to have at least a season or two in the EPL after these successive promotions.

First Team Squad Member

Show Me The Money

Went to the board and told them I deserved a new contract for what I have achieved and they agreed. I signed a three year contract on £24,000 a week compared to my previous contract of £1,500 a week, well deserved I think.

International Squad

That's the best finish to a season I've seen on FM

First Team Squad Member

Very nervy end to the season, at various points of the last match we were top, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Reserves

So, you're staying then? While I always like to see managers have a go at a higher level, in your case I wouldn't have blamed you for leaving. Good budget to help build a survival-capable side.

Youth Team

Epic final day!! And the top four all tied on the same points Did Fulham sneak up via the play-offs? ;)

Best of luck in the Premier League. It will be tough with that wage budget but I'm sure you'll manage

First Team Squad Member

So, you're staying then? While I always like to see managers have a go at a higher level, in your case I wouldn't have blamed you for leaving. Good budget to help build a survival-capable side.
    If I didn't get promoted I would have left, my aim as people know is to win the Champions League on each continent I would love to win the second one with Crewe but that could take a few seasons yet. The budget is very good for rebuilding the squad.

Epic final day!! And the top four all tied on the same points Did Fulham sneak up via the play-offs? ;)

Best of luck in the Premier League. It will be tough with that wage budget but I'm sure you'll manage
    Thanks, Fulham did get promoted via the play-off's. I moved a few things round and got £260,000 wage budget that should be a good enough wage budget to keep us up or at least I hope it is.

First Team Squad Member

Best 11 From Last Season and New Signings

The best 11 from last season as you can see Nugent was good but not as prolific as last season, Dicko was awesome again and despite playing most of the season at AML instead of upfront Lee Campbell had a great season. I have high hopes for Picchi next season, he is attracting interest and when he played a full game he was great but seems slightly injury prone. Apart from the attacking three no one else really stood out as having a brilliant season.

Transfers

Most of the players that went out were released because I don't think they are good enough to play in the EPL but a couple Chatto and Bachirou had match highest earner clauses. I tried to negotiate them into a new contract but they wanted too much or wanted to keep the highest earner clause I decided to simply let their contracts expire and put the wage they would have earned to better use.

Michael Mancienne

The guy is quick, a loan signing from HSV if he performs well enough I will look to buy him next season his speed could be vital in the heart of the defence.

Charles N'Zogbia

Not the best player attributes wise but he was brilliant for my missus Villa side so I thought why not take a risk and get him, he is better than most of the players currently in my team.

Wayne Hennessey

I have been after a decent GK for awhile not, I tried to get Mignolet from Sunderland first but he wanted crazy clean sheet and appearance fees so I went with Hennessey instead.

Fernando Canesin Matos

Never heard of this guy before but thought he was worth a bid for £950,000 he is quick has a good first touch and can play multiple positions RM, LM, AMR, CM and AMC.

Fiston Maguire

He wasn't brilliant for us last season but he has a load of potential 5 stars of it according to my coaches. Plays DMC as well as he plays DC, will hopefully develop into a great defensive player for the club.

Kyle Bartley

Not the greatest CB you will ever see but he is now our joint highest signing at £5 million. I have been looking for decent CB's and he is one of the only ones that was willing to join us that had decent attributes in most needed to be a solid CB.

Jay Rodriguez

Despite how good Dicko, Nugent and Campbell were last season I have my doubts about their abilities to score a the top level so I equalled the biggest transfer fee in the clubs history to bring in Rodriguez who I hope can grab plenty of goals for us or at least enough to keep us up.

James McClean

Had my eye on him for awhile and despite failing to get him a month before the window shut I managed to bring him in on a free transfer a few days before his contract was up. He has decent attributes and can play on either wing so should come in handy over the season.

Kyle Naughton

Again not brilliant but a good ability to play at either fullback position is a big bonus for us.

Overall I am pretty happy with all the transfers the clubs weekly wage bill now stands at £260,000, we are also £14 million in debt. I am hoping the small crowds we get along with the TV money will make us not lose too much money every month and if we stay up the prize money will cover our debts, I hope.
    Last edited by AcidBurn; 20-05-2012 at 16:33.

Semi Pro

What an absolutely mental final day. If that was real life, Sky would be orgasmic!

Congratulations on getting Crewe up to the Premier League.

Now the real work starts - keeping them there

Reserves

Matos looks handy.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by DazRTaylor View Post
    What an absolutely mental final day. If that was real life, Sky would be orgasmic!

Congratulations on getting Crewe up to the Premier League.

Now the real work starts - keeping them there
    Thanks dude, never had a good game as Crewe on FM11 so trying to make up for it now.

Matos looks handy.
    Had never heard of him until he was offered to me, under £1 million is a very good price.

International Squad

Well done on taking Crewe somewhere they will never get to in real life.

Four teams finishing on 88 points, never seen that before, nor a team winning 9-0 to secure promotion.

Youth Team

That is one hell of a way to end a season! Congrats on promotion to the big time

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Well done on taking Crewe somewhere they will never get to in real life.

Four teams finishing on 88 points, never seen that before, nor a team winning 9-0 to secure promotion.
    Thanks, main reason I took control of Crewe was to make them bigger than they will ever be in real life looks like that's been done in three season lol.

That is one hell of a way to end a season! Congrats on promotion to the big time
    Cheers, great ending to the season.

First Team Squad Member

Premier League Here We Come

Not too bad of a start league position wise, leaking goals like crazy but also scoring a fair few at times. Started with a pasting off Man City but bounced back with two 4-1 wins in a row, then another beating from Arsenal was followed by a thrashing of West Brom. However the last two matches we have been well beaten in. Not sure how the season is going to pan out now looks like we will get destroyed by the big sides but beat the smaller teams at our our own ground, I guess it depends which team shows up most often the team that destroyed West Brom or the team that limped out against the bigger sides. Dicko scored a hat trick on his EPL debut and has 8 goals so far not bad for a player with pretty poor attributes.

Youth Team

That is quite a few goals against. Having the same problem.

First Team Squad Member

My teams always suck at defending.

Reserves

Mine are traditionally more attack-minded, and having an inconsistent defence with all my youngsters, exciting times though.

First Team Squad Member

Nearly Half Way There

Not too bad managing to stay away from relegation but as you can see we just went through a really bad patch with four draws and a loss, I suppose one point is better than none though. Jay Rodriguez has been playing well and Liverpool recently enquired about him I told them £15 million to scare them off and have yet to have a reply back. Managed to get our first win in five against the team I support in real life and I hope this can lead us onto better things. I am hoping for a midtable finish to build on for next season.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Decided to bring in a couple of player Ben Arfa has been available since his contract at Dallas expired so I signed him up on £10,000 a week but his contract will expire at the end of the season so it's a risk worth taking and hopefully it will pay off.

Craig Dawson

£2.7 million from Everton also on a pretty low wage, looks like a good CB but I doubt he will make much difference to our inept defending.

Had one concrete offer from Flamengo but their wage bill seems very big for a Brazilian club but I think they may have a big TV deal. Not tempting enough to make me leave Crewe in the middle of the clubs first ever EPL season.
    Last edited by AcidBurn; 22-05-2012 at 22:06.

First Team Squad Member

Being linked to a load of jobs in late December, already rejected Swansea and West Brom would not be much of a step up at all from my side. Villarreal was slightly tempting but I don't think they have the base to become a really big side. Well the last one is horrible, I would never manage them on FM ever. I don't think there is any job that would persuade me to leave Crewe at the moment. I want to journey around the world and win every continental trophy there is but I can see me sticking with Crewe for awhile as long as a new stadium is built in the next couple of seasons because the 12,609 all seater Gresty Road stadium is nowhere near big enough to build this side into Champions League contenders.

Reserves

Doing well so far in Premier League. Can your screenies be a bit bigger though? I can't see them really well.

First Team Squad Member

The linked ones or the ones that actually show up?

Reserves

Linked ones. They're too small for me to see unless I really try and squint....

First Team Squad Member

I noticed that yesterday but I used the same link I always use, will have a look and see if I can change them.

It seems that everytime I take screenshot of a player and upload it it is always really small.
    Last edited by AcidBurn; 22-05-2012 at 16:48.

Reserves

I'm not sure but maybe imageshack have an option that let you choose the size of the pictures. I know photobucket has that option.

First Team Squad Member

Try Ben Arfa and Dawson links again, is it any better?

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    Try Ben Arfa and Dawson links again, is it any better?
    Much better AB.

Youth Team

Screenshots work for me.

First Team Squad Member

End of February Top Half Possible?

The league is very tight and I am not sure we will end up this high in the league, I switched to a 4-4-2 with two DMC's to try and steady the defence a bit it has sort of worked and we have only lost one of the last eight matches. We were leading at Chelsea until quite near the end. Most impressive has to be the win at Anfield along with the home win over Arsenal, no one is really standing out but the team is playing well as a whole. Two strikers is better because it allows me to team up Rodriguez with 6 foot 8 academy striker Lee Campbell.

Thought some of you might like this AI own goal, it is the funniest I have ever seen.

Youth Team

Over halfway through and going great!

Reserves

Top half very possible.

First Team Squad Member

Possibly My Best First EPL Season Ever

Wow, switching to a 4-4-2 and employing DMC's really helped the club move forward. Important wins over Birmingham and Liverpool on the last day to seal a fantastic 3rd place finish, half down to how well we played and half down to how poorly the rest of the league played. So-called big clubs Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea never really put together a big run of results to break into the top four. This has resulted in us and Birmingham playing Champions League football of course Birmingham will have to get past the qualifying round, luckily for them the Champions League final is between Man City and Arsenal and not the other bigger clubs.

First Team Squad Member

Road To World Cup

I took charge with Chile sitting in the play-off place after winning a fair few of the qualifiers we were able to get to the 2018 World Cup with ease pulling away from the teams in and around the play-off area. Losses to Ecuador and Argentina were disappointing because they did not reflect how we played but the defeat to Brazil well we more than deserved that one. I also survived the Confederations Cup we drew Spain, Mexico and Ivory Coast, the annoying thing was if we had beat Mexico by one goal instead of two then Spain would have gone out. We were outplayed by a very good Russian side and then lost for the second time against Spain.

2018 World Cup

Group A

Uruguay
    Holland
    Russia
    Algeria

Group B

Iran
    Brazil
    Poland
    USA

Group C

Japan
    Honduras
    Argentina
    Serbia

Group D

Egypt
    Chile
    Germany
    Scotland

Group E

England
    Ukraine
    Saudi Arabia
    Morocco

Group F

Mexico
    Czech Republic
    France
    Colombia

Group G

Nigeria
    Ireland
    Australia
    Spain

Group H

Belgium
    Italy
    Senegal
    South Korea

Not a bad group for us but not easy either. Germany will be hard especially with me forgetting to do something and leaving them with all grey players, Scotland can be good on their day and Egypt have a few decent players. Saying that I would be very disappointed if we didn't get to the knock out rounds of the World Cup.

Reserves

League 2 to CL in 4 years or something! What did I tell you at the top of the page?

First Team Squad Member

Haha, lets hope you are right I am still shocked that we did so well avoiding any big injuries was key to our success.

Question is how much do I build on this? Do I start giving out big contracts or keep them under £30,000 a week like I am at the moment?

Reserves

It's worth pushing the budget out a bit.

First Team Squad Member

Annoying being stuck in a 14,000 capacity stadium. We were making a profit of £1.5 million a month last season without Champions League football, so financially I should be able to offer a few better contracts out.

Youth Team

i wouldnt push the contracts too far,

First Team Squad Member

Well the World Cup was a complete waste of time, we got splatted 3-0 by fake Germany then lost 4-2 against a Scotland side who had 2 clear cut chances compared to our 5, Alexis Sanchez got injured against Germany within the first few minutes keeping him out of the other games. So after two defeats we were knocked out and I resigned, I hate international management I always seem to under perform when I venture into it.

Youth Team

i suck at it i think at my height with sunderland i might manage england but doubt it

First Team Squad Member

I'll probably give it another go if a decent job comes up after the World Cup.

First Team Squad Member

End of Season - Best 11 and Domestic Cups

As you can see Rodriguez and Campbell struck up a good partnership with Campbell getting most of the goals, earlier in the season he had kept Campbell out of the first team because I only played one up front but switched mid-season and it worked a treat. N'Zogbia started well but never kept it up and he got upset at me rejecting a bid in January so I decided to move him out for £1.5 million and got Ben Arfa instead another player who was inconsistent, Ben Arfa also wanted me to double his wages from 10k a week to 20k to stay so I let him go. Picchi was brilliant at DMC and just as good earlier in the season at MC. There were a few under performers and despite how well we did the best 11 proves we need a few more quality players in.

Domestic Cups

We started the FA Cup well with a 4-1 home victory over Swansea but it was disappointment in the 4th round as we got beat 3-2 at home against Wolves. The League Cup was a little bit longer a 2nd round 4-1 win over Plymouth was followed with an impressive performance in a 2-0 win at home against Aston Villa, however we couldn't beat their rivals Birmingham who dispatched of us 2-1 at their ground. Overall a disappointing run in both cups and something I would love to improve on next season.

New Season New Players

Luca Casolla

Signed from AC Milan for £4.2 million he is extremely quick and I originally signed him to play up front but I am strongly considering retraining him to play as a AMR where he can use his pace to get into the box and hopefully destroy the AI defenders.

Jorge Nunez

The biggest signing in the history of the club at £7.5 million, I had been after him for a while after giving him his first cap for Chile. A year a go the club wanted £18 million for him but after unsettling him he started to reject new contract offers from them, I bid but negotiations collapsed due to his agents demands for himself, I then received a news item saying due to the collapse of talks with Crewe Nunez had fired his agent. I bid and got him for £7.5 million. He is a good player and can play at CB but is more of a DMC, I look forward to seeing him play alongside Picchi in the DMC slots next season.

John Flanagan

He has been unable to establish himself at Spurs and they wanted £5 million for him but I went in with a loan offer and they accepted. Can play both fullback positions, he is a bit slow but hopefully he will be better than Naughton who didn't have his contract renewed due to stupid wage demands.

Fredy Montero

After deciding to convert Casolla to an AMR I felt I needed another option up front so I signed Montero. His age is against him but he only cost £2.9 million and is on a small wage, he has everything I wanted reasonably quick with decent finishing he will become a back up to Campbell and Rodriguez and competition with Dicko when ever the main two are out injured or need resting.

Miguel Aranguren

An expensive signing for us at £5.75 million he looks a decent player and will add some depth and competition to the centre of defence. Quick slow but he has a bit of room for improvement so some decent training with individual focus on quickness should knock that up a couple of points during the season.

Felix Gonzalez Antunez

Should become a great CB he is only rated at 2 stars for current ability and 4 and a half for potential. Needs a bit of work but with games and training I have a good feeling he can become a great player and he was free as well.

Overall I am happy with the players that have come in this season and I do think we are stronger although a couple more signings would be nice. I did manage to re-loan Mancienne he is available on a free in the summer of next season but he will be 31 by then so I am not sure if we will make a move for him or not. I still have £11 million left along with £140,000 spare wages but there is no need to spend them just for the sake of it.

Obviously bringing players in also means moving a few out. All were released because they had stupid wage demands or because they never reached their potentials. Cattermole had matches highest earner clause and would not drop it so I let his contract expire, as I mentioned before Ben Arfa wanted us to double his current wage which was a big no from me. I felt sorry for Nugent who was a big help getting us to the EPL but was just not good enough to play in the first team. Naughton wanted a rise to 20k a week which I didn't think he was worth so I let him go. Another I felt sorry for was Elliott Whitehouse who played a huge part in our rise through the leagues but just couldn't get into the first team in the EPL.

Successfully managing to keep the wages at a decent level but obviously they will naturally rise as our success does. I have hired a load of scouts to go out and try to find some decent younger players I can bring in and give a few games to. I have £11 million left so I am saving that to see if the scouts can find any players with decent potential that are under 21 and can play a role now. I will also be looking at all the international U-21 teams of the big nations as there are usually a few decent free players in there.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    Successfully managing to keep the wages at a decent level but obviously they will naturally rise as our success does. I have hired a load of scouts to go out and try to find some decent younger players I can bring in and give a few games to. I have £11 million left so I am saving that to see if the scouts can find any players with decent potential that are under 21 and can play a role now. I will also be looking at all the international U-21 teams of the big nations as there are usually a few decent free players in there.
    This is exactly what I do.

If you have ever read my threads, I always, without fail, recruit as many scouts as possible, all with the highest possible Judging Player Ability & Potential and then send them to all parts of the globe.
    Last edited by DazRTaylor; 24-05-2012 at 20:33.

First Team Squad Member

I have read your threads, I usually rely on my own judgement searching various under 21 teams but for this save I will be using scouts a lot more.

Youth Team

I normally use my own judgement but in also looking too my scouts to give me more info,

International Squad

Excellent Premier League debut.

Youth Team

Scouts can definitely help in finding young talent in the corners of the globe you've never thought of before. Always nice to find the gem of a 20 year old that can lace up and play a role.

First Team Squad Member

I normally use my own judgement but in also looking too my scouts to give me more info,
    As a big club if a 16-18 year old has good attributes I would bid for them and take a risk, can't afford to do that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Excellent Premier League debut.
    Thanks Nobby, just hope we can follow it up with another similar season.

Scouts can definitely help in finding young talent in the corners of the globe you've never thought of before. Always nice to find the gem of a 20 year old that can lace up and play a role.
    Picchi is a great player that was released as a youngster and is now a top DMC that can only get better. Those are the sort of signings I love players that no one wants that can be turned into class players.

First Team Squad Member

Bit of a tough group for our first venture into Europe.

Reserves

To be expected really.

First Team Squad Member

The group I would have had most confidence in qualifying from was Real Madrid, Celtic, Zenit and Standard who we would have replaced. Obviously Real Madrid would have been losses but Celtic and Zenit I think we would have had a good chance of beating.

First Team Squad Member

Great news, it will be over double the capacity of the current stadium but will take another two seasons to build guess that means I will be sticking around for a while yet.

Youth Team

Woo new stadium!

Youth Team

Over double capacity is great for a new stadium! Definitely give you something to grow into.

Youth Team

Fantastic second half to the season there - that's usually when the bubble bursts for most promoted sides but you managed to reach the Champions League! Tough group but I think you will at least get the Europa League spot.

Much like DazRTaylor, I also keep my scouts busy on my club saves. Once the board allow it, I also send them off to youth tournaments (U20 World Cup is a favourite as are the South American U20, EuroU21 and Euro U19 finals) - there are often many star performers near the end of their contracts to be found there.

First Team Squad Member

Woo new stadium!
    Over double capacity is great for a new stadium! Definitely give you something to grow into.
    I just hope I can be in the Champions League when the new stadium arrives.

Fantastic second half to the season there - that's usually when the bubble bursts for most promoted sides but you managed to reach the Champions League! Tough group but I think you will at least get the Europa League spot.

Much like DazRTaylor, I also keep my scouts busy on my club saves. Once the board allow it, I also send them off to youth tournaments (U20 World Cup is a favourite as are the South American U20, EuroU21 and Euro U19 finals) - there are often many star performers near the end of their contracts to be found there.
    Thanks, I have a couple of scouts constantly searching South America for players under 20 with 4 star potential. 2nd half of the season was brilliant and so far this season it looks like we will need another great run to get anywhere near Europe.

First Team Squad Member

Second Season Syndrome?

Not really sure what the hell is going on, there were several injuries to key players during these first games but that's no excuse for this. 6-3 loss against a team who had 7 shots all game was extremely annoying and losing 3 of the last 4 is not the sort of form I need at the moment. I know Wigan are not strong but it makes no sense to lose 3 games and have a 7-1 win sandwiched between these poor results. I think we are going to have to go on a decent run asap or a late surge to make it into the European places, we did it last season although maybe I am panicking a bit too much.

Champions League Is A Welcome Distraction

Strange how European competition is usually an unwanted distraction yet we are doing really well. We beat Inter and somehow got a draw against Bayern despite them having 25 shots a win away against Metalist has put us in a strong position to qualify for the knock out round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast