+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The use of two formations in a game, 1 when you have the ball, 1 when you don't

First Team Squad Member
    Serps lives on, in the hearts and minds of all of us.

Default The use of two formations in a game, 1 when you have the ball, 1 when you don't

Many teams IRL play with two formations, 1 formation for when they have the ball and are attacking and another for when they are defending, when is this going to be implemented into FM?

The video below shows how Barcelona use two different formations in the same game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNefw...ature=youtu.be

World Cup Winner

You are probably better off asking in the tactics forum, they might be able to explain how to do it using specific player instructions.

Reserves

No team in real life uses two different formations in a match.

In FM you have a defensive shape by the formation you set and you give player/team instructions which shape your attacks which is similar to what happens in real life.

Thats exactly how to think of it, IMO, the formation you choose is your defensive shape, affected slightly by how much closing down is done, and your instructions such as forward runs or roaming determine your offensive shape. If you watch the video he specifically mentions how Barcelona is being 'fluid', meaning the player is just moving within the formation to give it different characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    No team in real life uses two different formations in a match.

In FM you have a defensive shape by the formation you set and you give player/team instructions which shape your attacks which is similar to what happens in real life.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Harryseaess View Post
    Many teams IRL play with two formations, 1 formation for when they have the ball and are attacking and another for when they are defending, when is this going to be implemented into FM?

The video below shows how Barcelona use two different formations in the same game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNefw...ature=youtu.be
    It used to be, if you are old enough to remember really early versions of CM. We used to have the wibble-wobble board where you could place players exactly where you wanted them when the ball was in a particular area of the pitch.

Yeah, I remember that! First version I played was like that. I was only brave enough to move the players a few mm ...

Quote Originally Posted by davehanson View Post
    It used to be, if you are old enough to remember really early versions of CM. We used to have the wibble-wobble board where you could place players exactly where you wanted them when the ball was in a particular area of the pitch.

First Team Squad Member

The Pyramid formation!

Really?

But on topic, it would be good if we could have some more instructive off the ball and on the ball positional instructions, in my opinion.

Semi Pro

Totally agree. I remember the old style CM wibble wibble but I think it needs an attacking and defensive formation screen or something because some teams play wide going forward but are more compact when defending. I suspect you could do it with shouts but I always play classic and to have seperate attacking and defending instructions would be a help.

+ Reply to Thread