+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Mid-table strikers winning european boot?

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th October 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default Mid-table strikers winning european boot?

    Has anyone else noticed this? It's so annoying.

    I'm constantly seeing Shane Long, Steven Fletcher and Crouch amongst Europe's elite goalscorers.

    I've seen Long win european golden boot twice, Crouch once, and fletcher finished 3rd in the first season.

    Fair enough, sometimes you can have a superb season, but this has happened in more than one save, over the course of a few seasons and they are outscoring the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney and Van Persie.

    Is it the fact that there teams are overly dependant on these players or do their attributes just dominate the AI?

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th March 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    455

    Default

    I haven't seen anyone that random win it before

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th July 2011
    Location
    Sunny Skegness
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Happens in my save too. Rasmus Jonsson of Sunderland and Apostolos Vellios of West Brom have been the last 2 winners!

  4. #4

    Default

    I think it's because the game is so biased towards the English leagues in terms of talent ratings, reputations etc

  5. #5
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    28th October 2004
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niebiescy View Post
    I think it's because the game is so biased towards the English leagues in terms of talent ratings, reputations etc
    But they are playing against other English teams with the same apparent bias so it should even out.

  6. #6

    Default

    If they are moving to big clubs then with the huge imbalance in terms of quality within the league they score tons

    It is strange though because until the recent Messi/Ronaldo situation the winner always came from smaller leagues.

    Another suggestion could be that English clubs play more games than those in other European nations so therefore they score more goals? Not sure if cup games count but with two cups and extremely long league seasons they have lots of chances to score compared to players in leagues like Italy and Germany who play one cup and shorter league seasons.

  7. #7
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    3rd April 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niebiescy View Post
    Another suggestion could be that English clubs play more games than those in other European nations so therefore they score more goals? Not sure if cup games count but with two cups and extremely long league seasons they have lots of chances to score compared to players in leagues like Italy and Germany who play one cup and shorter league seasons.
    Since they introduced points weighting per goal in 1996 the winner has always come from a more mainstream European league, however before that there were a few 'smaller league' winners. It only covers league games and no domestic cups or European games are included.

  8. #8

    Default

    Ok I give up on trying to work out how this is possible.

    I remember the likes of Henrik Larsson and fatboy Jardel winning back in the late 90s/early 2000s from lesser leagues which is why I made that comment. After researching a bit I can see now the big few dominate, which I guess makes sense seeing as it's not a straight contest any more.

    I personally don't see the issue with people in smaller leagues winning an award for a chance, but guess UEFA want it to be as Hollywood as possible like usual. That debate is one for another day though.

  9. #9
    Amateur
    Join Date
    19th October 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Aussie Land
    Posts
    780

    Default

    It is the same with Manager of the Year......I just finished a season with Everton, won the League Cup, lost in semis of FA Cup and finished 2nd in the EPL (lost it on last day) yet the Bolton manager gets manager of the year after finishing 8th? and Wolves manager runners up after finishing 7th?
    I wasn`t even third.....strange.

  10. #10
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th July 2011
    Location
    Sunny Skegness
    Posts
    752

    Default

    It could just be because that is the league that you manage in. I might have been the only person to have spotted this but every team seems to score more goals if you are managing in their division and there are a lot more high scores. Just look at a league in your game where you have managed in it but not every season and compare to when you weren't in it and you will probably spot the difference.

  11. #11
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th October 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lil ole me View Post
    It is the same with Manager of the Year......I just finished a season with Everton, won the League Cup, lost in semis of FA Cup and finished 2nd in the EPL (lost it on last day) yet the Bolton manager gets manager of the year after finishing 8th? and Wolves manager runners up after finishing 7th?
    I wasn`t even third.....strange.
    Did you holiday any games? I know that can affect the outcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Could Get Messi View Post
    It could just be because that is the league that you manage in. I might have been the only person to have spotted this but every team seems to score more goals if you are managing in their division and there are a lot more high scores. Just look at a league in your game where you have managed in it but not every season and compare to when you weren't in it and you will probably spot the difference.
    Even when I tested it when I went unemployed for two seasons, it was the same.

  12. #12
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    5th September 2009
    Location
    Hove
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lil ole me View Post
    It is the same with Manager of the Year......I just finished a season with Everton, won the League Cup, lost in semis of FA Cup and finished 2nd in the EPL (lost it on last day) yet the Bolton manager gets manager of the year after finishing 8th? and Wolves manager runners up after finishing 7th?
    I wasn`t even third.....strange.
    What was your expectation ? If they did much better so Bolton predicted 20th and gets 8th thats an achievement while you are predicted 5th thats not so big, in the AI terms of looking at Manager of the Year

  13. #13
    First Team
    Join Date
    5th June 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    22,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this? It's so annoying.

    I'm constantly seeing Shane Long, Steven Fletcher and Crouch amongst Europe's elite goalscorers.

    I've seen Long win european golden boot twice, Crouch once, and fletcher finished 3rd in the first season.

    Fair enough, sometimes you can have a superb season, but this has happened in more than one save, over the course of a few seasons and they are outscoring the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney and Van Persie.

    Is it the fact that there teams are overly dependant on these players or do their attributes just dominate the AI?
    Shane Long is very quick, quite strong and very hard working. He scores more goals than a player of his ability should do because those attributes are very useful in the ME. His main weakness in real life is that he is too brave and therefore picks up a lot of knocks because he doesn't pull out of challenges- FM doesn't simulate that very well.

    Peter Crouch has 20 for jumping and plays in a side that is set up perfectly for him to take advantage of his height, particularly if you compare him to Llorente, for example. He gets too many good quality chances.

    Steven Fletcher has quite good ratings for finishing and composure, and tbf he deserves them because he's tucked away more chances than most players whilst playing for relegation battlers (Burnley and Wolves). Additionally, Wolves perform much better than they do in real life, seemingly because their squad is very determined and has a very resilient character generally. That's probably true to real life, but either the effect of determination is too big or Wolves' players are overrated in other ways (probably the former). Anyway, that means that Fletcher has more chances created for him than he does in real life, and given that he is excellent at taking chances, that means he scores too many goals.

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    12th July 2008
    Location
    Nijmegen
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Well, if you haven't had other leagues loaded, you'll see the fact that players like Messi and Ronaldo only play 10-15 league games per season. They can never score enough goals to score much then.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts