Idea for spin off game

Maybe this has been mentioned before but I have never heard of it.

I would love to play a database which recreates the 1980s. I would have thought it would be possible to tweak the current game engine to recreate how the leagues stood in the 80s. The rule changes (ie. 1 sub then 2 subs and eventually 5 and 7) could be added in at the relevant times. The finances could reflect the situation at the time and the player stats could be entered. You could add in the creation of the Premier League when you get to 1992. There would be plenty of challenges:

- could you win a title with Man Utd before the Premier League starts?

- could you entice Ian Rush away to another British club?

- could you keep Oxford United in the top division with Maxwell as chairman?

- could you get England to win a World Cup?

Taking it further, you could also have spin offs going back to other decades. Try winning the double with Spurs in the 60s or Arsenal in the 70s.

There'd be a lot of research needed but would anyone play such a game?

there are all sorts of databases from the 80's. It's all in the editors forum section.

Is there?

I look for a classic database every year ( i dont have time to make one myself) and i cant remember finding one for the 80s, maybe there was one for 92-93 on fm 09, but the only thing remotely like a classic db for fm12 is battle of the titans, and that was never finished.

I have only ever seen one released database I think it was for FM10. People release ones with a load of legends in them but like Nottingham Forest said they are very rarely completed.

I would love to play FM12 with the players from the first FM game. I would love to play an historical FM game.

• Administrators

Yeah I'd love to play one too, but for legal reasons we can't release one and whoever tried it, it'd be bloomin' difficult to do an accurate database from almost thirty years ago.

Yeah I'd love to play one too, but for legal reasons we can't release one and whoever tried it, it'd be bloomin' difficult to do an accurate database from almost thirty years ago.

Knew it would be legal, such a pity even if there were no legalities involved the research would take some doing.

The research would take some doing, but there'd be quite alot of people willing to help just to give it a chance of working.

With us being able to select multiple xml's, I have always wondered why a team of people have not tried it, for example people doing ten teams each and collected them together. Would it even be possible for 20 people to do ten teams each on there own PC and add all the databases together?

With us being able to select multiple xml's, I have always wondered why a team of people have not tried it, for example people doing ten teams each and collected them together. Would it even be possible for 20 people to do ten teams each on there own PC and add all the databases together?

I'd love to be apart of something like that? Have attempted to older databases, on this FM and on FM11 but both would just take too long. You'd also need someone to delete all the players that are too young as well. Have set guidelines and things like that. If we could find a way of merging or getting the xml's to work alongside each other then we could start something off. I had about 4 people will to help iirc last year.

I wonder if you can get a database empty of players and teams?

There are plenty of people who could create all the leagues and cup competitions.

I started something, deleting players who weren't old enough. I've deleted it now though. It takes a bit of time but isn't too hard. You'd probably have recreate the English leagues again possibly depending on what numbers were in the leagues at the time and then you'd probably have to recreate the European competitions again. I could get the Forest team done and a few others. Attributes would be an issue, but I'm sure something could be sorted. It'd just be financial issues and then finding someone to do kits. Which should be easy enough(I don't actually know, just guessing).

I started something, deleting players who weren't old enough. I've deleted it now though. It takes a bit of time but isn't too hard. You'd probably have recreate the English leagues again possibly depending on what numbers were in the leagues at the time and then you'd probably have to recreate the European competitions again. I could get the Forest team done and a few others. Attributes would be an issue, but I'm sure something could be sorted. It'd just be financial issues and then finding someone to do kits. Which should be easy enough(I don't actually know, just guessing).

How far back would you go though? I think attributes would be relatively easy if you used an old CM game as a base. Finances and stuff would just have to be the way they today unfortunately I cannot see a way of changing that.

I call BS here. If legal reasons were involved SI could not release a real EPL DB.

I call BS here. If legal reasons were involved SI could not release a real EPL DB.
LOL...you think SI have the 'legal rights' to use current EPL players?

Of course they could. They have the license for the league and players. That's why the German national team and Portugese teams aren't properly named or have players in them. Let's not change the subject of the thread please.

AB, It depends really what people want. If we got enough interested, you'd just have a vote on different years that people would like to see or play. The finances can actually be changed, but it's finding the figures. If we could get a base figure, then we could use that.

Value's are determined by a player's rep and attributes iirc. Some player's do stay at the same value. I remember for FM11 when I edited Stewart Downing, he was still valued at £12m iirc. Another slight issue is International debut's as they don't change. You can change a club's finances and it does change in game.

Of course they could. They have the license for the league and players. That's why the German national team and Portugese teams aren't properly named or have players in them. Let's not change the subject of the thread please.

AB, It depends really what people want. If we got enough interested, you'd just have a vote on different years that people would like to see or play. The finances can actually be changed, but it's finding the figures. If we could get a base figure, then we could use that.

SI DO NOT have a license to use EPL club nor player names. Why do you think there are no EPL logos in game?

there are all sorts of databases from the 80's. It's all in the editors forum section.

Whlst this is true, I don't believe any of them have the finances or rules etc of the time, apologies if I am wrong about that though.

Excellent idea.

Could maybe even be better than The Double for the ZX Spectrum if anyone remembers that most marvellous of management games.

My favourite 2 Spectrum footy games were, without question, On The Bench and Tracksuit Manager

SI DO NOT have a license to use EPL club nor player names. Why do you think there are no EPL logos in game?

its amazing how somebody will ALWAYS try to upset the apple cart.what exactly do you have against this thread?

its amazing how somebody will ALWAYS try to upset the apple cart.what exactly do you have against this thread?

You must be a 1 in reading comprehension. The SI guy said SI couldnt do it because of alleged licensing issues. I simply pointed out that this was nonsense as licensing issues dont keep other unlicensed content out of the game.

You must be a 1 in reading comprehension. The SI guy said SI couldnt do it because of alleged licensing issues. I simply pointed out that this was nonsense as licensing issues dont keep other unlicensed content out of the game.

How do you know they don't have licenses for leagues and players but not badges? You don't, so please, unless you have concrete proof, don't post rubbish, thanks.

What you mean like the fact that the Japanese league isn't kept out of the game in the face of licensing issues? Or the German national team? Or Oliver Kahn?

How do you know they don't have licenses for leagues and players but not badges? You don't, so please, unless you have concrete proof, don't post rubbish, thanks.

lol...think it through there..if they had the license for the league they would obviously have the license for the badges. And if they had the license for the league an SI guy would have popped up here ages ago to confirm it.

lol...think it through there..if they had the license for the league they would obviously have the license for the badges. And if they had the license for the league an SI guy would have popped up here ages ago to confirm it.

The badges and kits are owned separately by someone else iirc, whilst the teams are owned by the FA. I'm sure I've seen it on the forums somewhere.

What you mean like the fact that the Japanese league isn't kept out of the game in the face of licensing issues? Or the German national team? Or Oliver Kahn?

Japan is a Sega issue; the Bundesliga isnt licensed but its in the game..inc files hint hint; the decision to drop Kahn was a voluntary one by SI..they werent legally obligated to do so. None of the real players are paid.

And if they did stuff without having licenses, we'd have Germany in the game.

Germany is in the game but different countries have different laws and SI bend to German football rather than run the risk of not being sold in Germany.

Japan is a Sega issue; the Bundesliga isnt licensed but its in the game..inc files hint hint; the decision to drop Kahn was a voluntary one by SI..they werent legally obligated to do so. None of the real players are paid.

Japan is not a SEGA issue at all. Konami have the rights for their Pro Evo games. There is no issue with the Bundesliga, just with the German national team and while this can be rectified through certain steps that does not mean that it is not a licensing issue (hence the name ".lnc" file).

As for Oliver Kahn what you have just said proves the point that it is a licensing issue, because SI chose not to buy his naming rights. ;)

Archived