My FMH12 Reactions

I just bought the game, and it feels very nice compared to FMHi11 on my iPod. I guess that I'll post my reactions in this thread as I play the game more.

-> It feels a lot nicer than on my iPod

-> No black borders ftw! :p

-> It doesn't use the default system keyboard, and the replacement isn't that great (sorry Marc :p)

-> Can only load one countries leagues ;,(

-> The back button takes me out of the game - this in particular caught me by surprise. Setting up a listener of sorts shouldn't be too hard, right?

-> Just found one of the strikers in my team on the computer :D Signing him now! xD

Still, I'm liking it so far :D

• SI Staff
-> It doesn't use the default system keyboard, and the replacement isn't that great (sorry Marc :p)

The game is written in C/C++ - to interface to the java which the system keyboard uses was a pain in the butt and liable to cause issues on specific OS revisions/devices - so I kept it all in C/C++ code.

I quite like our 'custom' keyboard myself - but then I am somewhat biased ;)

-> The back button takes me out of the game - this in particular caught me by surprise. Setting up a listener of sorts shouldn't be too hard, right?

I could disable this - but thats fairly standard on most Android apps and I didn't want to confuse people by putting non-standard behavior into the app.

Still, I'm liking it so far :D

Cool - glad you're enjoying it.

I have a Sony Xperia S. I wouldn't say it looks awful, but there is a huge black border around the screen, meaning a lot of unused real estate on the screen. It would be good to be able to select a resolution (and indeed have higher resolutions for handsets such as the Xperia S).

On my Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, I would say the game looks marginally better due to there being less of a black border around the screen.

• SI Staff
I have a Sony Xperia S. I wouldn't say it looks awful, but there is a huge black border around the screen, meaning a lot of unused real estate on the screen. It would be good to be able to select a resolution (and indeed have higher resolutions for handsets such as the Xperia S).

On my Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, I would say the game looks marginally better due to there being less of a black border around the screen.

Obviously we won't be able to make skins to fit every single device but - based on which resolutions/devices are most commonly used by purchasers of the game - we will look into creating more for future updates.

I could disable this - but thats fairly standard on most Android apps and I didn't want to confuse people by putting non-standard behavior into the app.

Could we get a "Are you sure you wish to exit" prompt if possible?

Obviously we won't be able to make skins to fit every single device but - based on which resolutions/devices are most commonly used by purchasers of the game - we will look into creating more for future updates.

That's understandable - I was just providing feedback based on my experience with the two devices I own.

I'm just chuffed that I can finally play FM on my mobile, as I have no intention of ever buying an iPhone (being a fully-fledged Android fan).

I installed the game today on Galaxy Ace, it runs nice and it's kinda refreshing to get back to the 'old days' feeling of CM :D

So far I like it a lot, just the back button thing... I exited the game almost 5-7 times by accident, instead of wanting to go back to the previous screen. I second the OP's recommendation of a pop-up window or just plain 'go back' function.

And instead of going back to the 'options' menu to save and exit game, maybe 'more/advanced' button (http://www.dodaj.rs/f/V/101/1gTo8JvA/capture.png) could bring a list of commands 'save game', 'load game', 'preferences' and 'exit game'.

And once more: CHEERS FOR THE ANDROID PORT!! :)

I could disable this (back button taking you out of the game) - but thats fairly standard on most Android apps and I didn't want to confuse people by putting non-standard behavior into the app.

To be honest, I don't think you're correct on this. Back button usually takes you out of an app (or prompts you to do so) when on the main menu, home screen, title screen of an app/game.

When navigating through menus, the back button mostly takes you 'back' a step.

It was one of the big changes I had to adjust too when moving from IOS to Android. The inclusion of a hard back button is now second nature to me, and I couldn't live without it.

By having the back button take you out of FM, no matter where you are in the game, you are essentially replicating the function of the 'home' button.

I'd change it. But that's just me. Android users use the back button to navigate, not to exit the game/app.

I quite like our 'custom' keyboard myself - but then I am somewhat biased ;)

Ok, the biggest problem imo is that the delete button is in an awkward place and the lack of haptic feedback. If you can't get the system keyboard then at least add in those two ;)

(I don't know about C++, but in pure Java then haptic feedback is incredibly easy to utilise; it should take seconds to add in ;P)

Archived