'Why did I bother' transfers?

I got Benzema for 17m in the january transfer window, only to realise he was going to be my 4th choice striker...still got 3 goals out of 7 games from him due to injuries, but realising his place combined with his dummy out the pram attitude, I sold him on in the summer, managed to get 15m from Schalke so I didn't lose out too much on him.

Anyone else ever signed a good player, then realised you're never going to use him?

I signed Fellaini for Mn City in season 2 just because Everton offered him out, even though De Jong Hamsik and Yaya were my first choice and i also bought Mvila. Paid 12 for him, he played 15 games, 1 goal (last minute winner v Everton) then sold him to Madrid for 15mill

Marek Hamsik in FM11. Cost £45mil, his attitude was atrocious, almost as bad as his performances. His average rating in his first full season was 6.3 from 28 games. I used him in various roles, turned in 1 assist and no goals. After not turning up to training twice early in his second season, I transfer listed him. Got £15mil from Man City. He never got any better for them which thrilled me as I had started thinking it was my management style!

I paid £35 million for Leandro Damiao in my Santos save to be the 4th striker. He scored 21 in 17 games but I had 3 better regen strikers so I sold him on 5 months later to AC Milan for £24 million.

Eden Hazard, Signed him for 35 mil for my PSG side, he had a season and half of playing unsuccesful football so sold him for 30mil, this was to Juventus. Bought in a regen for 1/4 of hazards sale price and now that regen has the assist record for Ligue 1

Lorenzo Crisetig from free transfer as a 19 years old prospect, tried to develop him but can't find too many games for him to play so he went on various loans for the next 2 and a half years. To make matters worse I found a regen that plays his exact position - DLP and just like him he's a left footed only player and the regen grow at a much faster rate than Crisetig. So after 4 years being developed turned out the regen is just the better choice so I sold him for dirt cheap 5 mil to Reading (who just enter premier league with a Qatari sugar daddy to boot!) hopefully he'll do much better there...

Took over Barcelona and needed a major reinvestment - spent 150m on aguero and he really not good for a lone man up front role i use and no attacking midfielder role - thought id wasted a lot of money until i stuck him in centre midfielder as advanced playmaker and he absolutely rocking it - i got lucky but still need to buy a striker now!

Took over Barcelona and needed a major reinvestment - spent 150m on aguero and he really not good for a lone man up front role i use and no attacking midfielder role - thought id wasted a lot of money until i stuck him in centre midfielder as advanced playmaker and he absolutely rocking it - i got lucky but still need to buy a striker now!

Well, when you put all your eggs in one basket like that! Wow, would have gone for three $10-20m 21 year old prospects, personally, as even an expensive transfer signing seems to take 1 to 2 years to settle in, why not just bring in youngsters who will settle in AND develop over that time? The key is to find a player who actually has a decent chance at becoming as good as Aguero, not easy!

As Hibernian bought Joel Lindpere for £975k and he was ****-poor. Let him go on a free.

Another classic was at Zwolle with Nicola Padelli; I spent about a million quid on him as a young centre back and he was alright and won a cup winners medal but he was always on leave of absence. Crap. I let him go and then bought him back from Go Ahead Eagles for £275k when I thought that he had matured. After 6 games and being my third choice he offered to terminate his contract and he is now at Catania after going via Litex and Novara.

One time I had too much cash and an already very balanced team, so I splashed 20m for Ronaldinho in 2012. He was crap!! His wages were skyhigh and i ended up letting him go for free in the 2nd season.

Well, when you put all your eggs in one basket like that! Wow, would have gone for three $10-20m 21 year old prospects, personally, as even an expensive transfer signing seems to take 1 to 2 years to settle in, why not just bring in youngsters who will settle in AND develop over that time? The key is to find a player who actually has a decent chance at becoming as good as Aguero, not easy!

I did it cos it was a network game and need instant sucsess. Had just won prem with Chelsea and when I arrived at Barce, it looked like no player investment had took place for 2 years apart from buying wonderkids! I no what your saying tho but at the time the first XI needed top players now, not in 3 or 4 seasons and I did have 200m overall to spend. Its working out well tho and I do already have a kid rated potentially to be as gd as aguero too.

I have problems with signing players with a 4 - 4.5 rated PA & PP, then after a year in the team these ratings suddenly drop to 2 - 2.5. Doohhh!

Very frustrating & I've only noticed this in the 2012 game.

Leicester City, second season (first season in EPL)- I spent £8 million on Gael Kakuta and £7million on Willfried. Kakuta is being kept out by a 17 year old Lucas Anderson (£2 million) and Wilfried is stuck behind Jermaine Beckford. I also bought far too many 17-19 year olds to develop. I have about 6 4.5* central midfielders and a formation that calls for only 2.

Guess I just forgot how many I'd signed.

Rubin Kazan - splashed 25 million euros on Keisuke Honda only to have him warm the bench for the next 3 seasons until I sold him to Valencia for 12 million. Very good stats for him and great player, but he didn't fit in my midfield line, with Dzagoev and an Argentian regen.

Archived