+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Why did I bother' transfers?

Amateur

Default 'Why did I bother' transfers?

I got Benzema for 17m in the january transfer window, only to realise he was going to be my 4th choice striker...still got 3 goals out of 7 games from him due to injuries, but realising his place combined with his dummy out the pram attitude, I sold him on in the summer, managed to get 15m from Schalke so I didn't lose out too much on him.

Anyone else ever signed a good player, then realised you're never going to use him?

Amateur

Adel Taarabt. Whinge whinge whinge.

Amateur

I signed Fellaini for Mn City in season 2 just because Everton offered him out, even though De Jong Hamsik and Yaya were my first choice and i also bought Mvila. Paid 12 for him, he played 15 games, 1 goal (last minute winner v Everton) then sold him to Madrid for 15mill

Amateur

Marek Hamsik in FM11. Cost £45mil, his attitude was atrocious, almost as bad as his performances. His average rating in his first full season was 6.3 from 28 games. I used him in various roles, turned in 1 assist and no goals. After not turning up to training twice early in his second season, I transfer listed him. Got £15mil from Man City. He never got any better for them which thrilled me as I had started thinking it was my management style!

Amateur

Canales on FM11 from Real (I think) for about £8m. Brilliant attributes, just too inconsistent. Sold him to Man City for about £30 (+ 50% sell on), and he was rubbish for them too!!

I paid £35 million for Leandro Damiao in my Santos save to be the 4th striker. He scored 21 in 17 games but I had 3 better regen strikers so I sold him on 5 months later to AC Milan for £24 million.

Amateur

I wasted my transfer budget on an Argentinian wonderkid, who missed training, played awful and moaned constantly. Luckily we sold him to City after two seasons for a profit.

Amateur

Eden Hazard, Signed him for 35 mil for my PSG side, he had a season and half of playing unsuccesful football so sold him for 30mil, this was to Juventus. Bought in a regen for 1/4 of hazards sale price and now that regen has the assist record for Ligue 1

Youth Team

Signed about 4 defenders this season in a panic that i wont have enough, turns out they are all pretty crud and will have to be sold/replaced in the summer probably at a loss.

Amateur

Lorenzo Crisetig from free transfer as a 19 years old prospect, tried to develop him but can't find too many games for him to play so he went on various loans for the next 2 and a half years. To make matters worse I found a regen that plays his exact position - DLP and just like him he's a left footed only player and the regen grow at a much faster rate than Crisetig. So after 4 years being developed turned out the regen is just the better choice so I sold him for dirt cheap 5 mil to Reading (who just enter premier league with a Qatari sugar daddy to boot!) hopefully he'll do much better there...

Amateur

On my current FM12 LFC save, I've just managed to sell Downing for £16m to Fulham, and Andy Caroll for £10m + 50% sell on to....wait for it....Southampton!!!! They have been promoted to the EPL!

Semi Pro

Rene Adler for free, sold him the next transfer window for 10 mil, i know i got him for free but saw profit and he never played a single game except reserves.

Amateur

Took over Barcelona and needed a major reinvestment - spent 150m on aguero and he really not good for a lone man up front role i use and no attacking midfielder role - thought id wasted a lot of money until i stuck him in centre midfielder as advanced playmaker and he absolutely rocking it - i got lucky but still need to buy a striker now!

Amateur

A regen keeper in the 6th season. Paid £16m for him. First game, he's injured and out for 7 to 9 months. Get's back from injury, has 3 or 4 games, then is injured for another 6 months. Sold him as soon as possible for a mere £4.5m

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Valentino View Post
    Took over Barcelona and needed a major reinvestment - spent 150m on aguero and he really not good for a lone man up front role i use and no attacking midfielder role - thought id wasted a lot of money until i stuck him in centre midfielder as advanced playmaker and he absolutely rocking it - i got lucky but still need to buy a striker now!
    Well, when you put all your eggs in one basket like that! Wow, would have gone for three $10-20m 21 year old prospects, personally, as even an expensive transfer signing seems to take 1 to 2 years to settle in, why not just bring in youngsters who will settle in AND develop over that time? The key is to find a player who actually has a decent chance at becoming as good as Aguero, not easy!

As Hibernian bought Joel Lindpere for £975k and he was ****-poor. Let him go on a free.

Another classic was at Zwolle with Nicola Padelli; I spent about a million quid on him as a young centre back and he was alright and won a cup winners medal but he was always on leave of absence. Crap. I let him go and then bought him back from Go Ahead Eagles for £275k when I thought that he had matured. After 6 games and being my third choice he offered to terminate his contract and he is now at Catania after going via Litex and Novara.

Amateur

happens all the time with me when i need a player i can afford to buy 3 quality players in that position and its a see who can fit in best job. i usually waste or lose £10 to £20m each time.

Amateur

One time I had too much cash and an already very balanced team, so I splashed 20m for Ronaldinho in 2012. He was crap!! His wages were skyhigh and i ended up letting him go for free in the 2nd season.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-the-victorious View Post
    Well, when you put all your eggs in one basket like that! Wow, would have gone for three $10-20m 21 year old prospects, personally, as even an expensive transfer signing seems to take 1 to 2 years to settle in, why not just bring in youngsters who will settle in AND develop over that time? The key is to find a player who actually has a decent chance at becoming as good as Aguero, not easy!
    I did it cos it was a network game and need instant sucsess. Had just won prem with Chelsea and when I arrived at Barce, it looked like no player investment had took place for 2 years apart from buying wonderkids! I no what your saying tho but at the time the first XI needed top players now, not in 3 or 4 seasons and I did have 200m overall to spend. Its working out well tho and I do already have a kid rated potentially to be as gd as aguero too.

Amateur

I have problems with signing players with a 4 - 4.5 rated PA & PP, then after a year in the team these ratings suddenly drop to 2 - 2.5. Doohhh!
    Very frustrating & I've only noticed this in the 2012 game.

Amateur

Leicester City, second season (first season in EPL)- I spent £8 million on Gael Kakuta and £7million on Willfried. Kakuta is being kept out by a 17 year old Lucas Anderson (£2 million) and Wilfried is stuck behind Jermaine Beckford. I also bought far too many 17-19 year olds to develop. I have about 6 4.5* central midfielders and a formation that calls for only 2.

Guess I just forgot how many I'd signed.

Amateur

Rubin Kazan - splashed 25 million euros on Keisuke Honda only to have him warm the bench for the next 3 seasons until I sold him to Valencia for 12 million. Very good stats for him and great player, but he didn't fit in my midfield line, with Dzagoev and an Argentian regen.

Amateur

Mine is probably Lucas Moura. Paid 24m for him which I have read is a reasonable price but he was just totally inconsistent and on a bad day I might as well have just started with 10 men. Luckily for me I got the transfer fee back when I sold him recently.

+ Reply to Thread