Old vs Young

Where do you lean on old vs youth  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you lean on old vs youth

• Mostly old players with a few mid 20's and youth
    • Slightly more old players than young
    • Slightly more young players than old
    • Mostly young players with a few mid 20's and maybe 1 or 2 old

Just curious as to peoples veiws on player age, personally im a sucker for an aged star but always try to balance it with youth, at the very least youth coming though the ranks.

For example, in my 1st season at Notts County ive got Dida 37, Rivaldo 39 Lee Trundle Luke Dimech Gavin Mahon and Mario Melchiot all 34 plus 5 others 33 - 31

Balanced with Nathan Eccleston 20 some other mid 20's and some youth players

To play the physical, fast paced game that I like my side to play very few players over 30 or 31 can make it. Once your pace starts to go, even just a bit, its usually time to phase in the next generation. I figure players peak physically around 25-27, technically from 27-30, and mentally from 30+. So I try to get the most physical, as well as mentally developed players possible.

I move out strikers and midfielders at 28, and defenders at 30, while i keep goalkeepers until 36 (It's very hard to replace a good keeper!)

This way I have enough funds coming in from transfers to buy promising youth prospects to fill in the ranks.

Lower league teams - older

Higher-end teams - younger

I agree with this. It's easier to get decent players in their twilight at lower league clubs than to get a good young player as they usually have higher prospects so wouldn't be willing to join. Only realistically getting good young players on loan. The higher up I get, the more I look towards young talent.

Mostly young, so I can mould them and sell them if needed. I never buy old players as they rarely have a sell on value, but I will sign some on pre-contracts/or on free.

Long term servants to the club usually are allowed to stay till retirement though, which will normally level out my average age to 23/24.

Prefer having a younger squad, full of energy and can chase the ball round the pitch kind of thing without batting an eye lid but I've got to have at least 1 over 28 player in each area of the pitch so 1def, 1mid and 1st. This is just so they can boss their area of the field and keep them in check

Mixed, i try and achieve success with youth players coming through but still have experience and use old players still they stop performing, so if a 33 striker is still good enough I'll use him but I will try and line up a replacement who can fit right in

I tend to have older players in key positions and especially at CB, younger players upfront and on the wings. But in general i´m tending towards continuity and that will give me older squads than most i guess. Not that i´m not getting young players in, just not as many.

In my current game i am managing Arsenal in 2015 and only now have become a viable title contender after a couple youngsters matured, the team in general developed chemistry and i also got Mascherano on a free transfer to lead them as new captain.

Lower league teams - older

Higher-end teams - younger

I've been thinking the opposite. When playing a lower league team I will always have promotion in mind, which means my old players gets left behind in a few seasons. If I'm lucky, a young player can stick with me all the way to the premiership.

I generally have a mix, though slightly leaning towards older players.

I also try to copy the Barcelona way of staggering their players ages like a conveyor belt. For example in my current save my inherited Centre Back ages were 29, 32, 33 & 35. In the close season I've sold the 32 year old, and the 35 year old has retired. I've replaced them with a 26 year old and a 22 year old. The ages are now 22, 26, 30 & 34. At the end of the current season I will let the 34 year old go and bring in an 18 - 20 year old, and keep the cycle going.

Archived