+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has Fm12 broken two of my computers?!

Amateur

Exclamation Has Fm12 broken two of my computers?!

Long time fm player since cm days in 1994. Have been playing fm12 on my dual core pc which suddenly started switching itself off in the middle of a game - as if it was overheating. Oh well I thought, it's about time I bought a new pc so have been toying with the idea of a laptop. However, while looking my dad lent me his dual core pc to continue the save and the same thing has happened again. Now both pc's refuse to function properly and crash constantly during fm12, with the loan pc refusing to boot at all. Googling this it seems a few (minority) have also had this issue. I know fm12 is processor intensive but I only play with English leagues and small db. I do NOT want to spend money on laptop only to have it fried. Can fm have broken my pc's or is it a horrible coincidence? Please help. BTWi am not a new poster, previous posts under dion/'s jock strap.
    looking forward to your views.......

Reserves

You've just confessed to having an alias. You might get banned for that unless you have a good reason or have arranged it with SI or whatever. Just so you know.

Third Team

Highly improbable that a single nation, small db has fried two cpu's.

My hunch is that you have a power supply issue & could have fried both psu's by plugging them into the same faulty power socket/extension cord.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    You've just confessed to having an alias. You might get banned for that unless you have a good reason or have arranged it with SI or whatever. Just so you know.
    Previous account I cant access from home. If I get banned that will just top my day. Lol

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Barside View Post
    Highly improbable that a single nation, small db has fried two cpu's.

My hunch is that you have a power supply issue & could have fried both psu's by plugging them into the same faulty power socket/extension cord.
    I thought that and tested power cable and tried different sockets. Neither was problem. Really hope it's just a nasty coincidence but I admit to not being very technical...

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddiosk13 View Post
    Previous account I cant access from home. If I get banned that will just top my day. Lol
    Why not? you can access a forum account from anywhere so this puzzles me a mite

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    Why not? you can access a forum account from anywhere so this puzzles me a mite
    Work email address and work server shut down over Easter

Semi Pro
    The past, in defiance of the present and the future

undoubtedly. i recommend legal action

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggins' Young Boys View Post
    undoubtedly. i recommend legal action
    Not the help I was looking for but ta anyway.

Amateur

Work email address and work server shut down over Easter
    And can't remember password as always logged in at work

Part-Timer

Well, if the laptop has a problem (e.g. broken/clogged up fan) running FM may provoke it to the point of overheating in a way casual web browsing or whatever won't. They should shut down gracefully and come back on once cooled-down though. If you can't even boot anymore then I would guess that it's more of an electrical (power supply) problem. Using the correct power adapters? From a good wall socket?

Amateur

What an excellent employee, grafting away on a.......PC game forum......

Reserves

I have a failing hard drive too, blue screen of death and seems to have started since FM12. But have no proof this is the case. Does have a heating problem though, Acer Aspire 5735.

Amateur

Thanks for helpful questions scab. Both failures are desktops but considering laptop replacement. Have tried wall sockets t. Just for avoidance of doubt I am not fm bashing here, I just want some advice before splaying 400 quid on a laptop!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by M.U.F.C....TSVR View Post
    What an excellent employee, grafting away on a.......PC game forum......
    Lunch breaks. Best thing since the minimum wage

Youth Team
    Living life in lower leagues using my own guidelines,searching for hours for just the right player.

Ok,

Games do not break computers/laptops.

That is the short answer.

The longer answer is..
    It could be many things,it could be your PSU(power supply)has just gave in or is in the process of giving in.
    It could be also your GPU(graphic card)is over heating so it switches your PC/Laptop off to save it from frying.
    It could also be something as simple as you have your fans full with dust so the card/PC is not getting the cooling it needs.

I would suggest first checking your system for dust and clean it out,I would also suggest you turn up your GPU fan using a program like Rivatuner and see if that helps.

If these things do not work then both your systems were on there way out and has nothing to do with the game,time to get yourself a new system.

I would try what I mentioned above as it could be something very simple to sort.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

And can't remember password as always logged in at work
    Well you can't have two accounts here so I'd suggest you decide which you want to retain and let me know by PM, then I'll get the two accounts merged so nothing is lost.

Sensibly do it Tuesday if possible

Edit: I think you can safely rule out FM12 as the cause of your problems, there'd be a few thousand complaints at least if it had that effect some very sensible suggestions here though.
    Heat is definitely top of my list, Civ5 and FM12 caused my desktop heat issues with the GPU, had to add water cooling in the end
    Last edited by Kriss; 07-04-2012 at 23:09.

Semi Pro

a 2nd fan in the desktop computer would do wonders and you can always click on REMEMBER ME so you don't have to remember login passwords. So no excuse.

Amateur

Your copy of FM is legit right?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    Well you can't have two accounts here so I'd suggest you decide which you want to retain and let me know by PM, then I'll get the two accounts merged so nothing is lost.

Sensibly do it Tuesday if possible

Edit: I think you can safely rule out FM12 as the cause of your problems, there'd be a few thousand complaints at least if it had that effect some very sensible suggestions here though.
    Heat is definitely top of my list, Civ5 and FM12 caused my desktop heat issues with the GPU, had to add water cooling in the end
    Thanks kriss. Will p, you on tuesday. If heat is the primary reason, which makes sense, does that realistically rule out using a laptop to play it :-(

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Your copy of FM is legit right?
    Yep. Can't abide pirating. Bought via steam.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Wiitastic View Post
    a 2nd fan in the desktop computer would do wonders and you can always click on REMEMBER ME so you don't have to remember login passwords. So no excuse.
    No room for second fan. Why the sharp comment? With respect, it isn' t necessary. Kriss has already explained about the rules thanks.

Worth buying a can of compressed air?

Thanks kriss. Will p, you on tuesday. If heat is the primary reason, which makes sense, does that realistically rule out using a laptop to play it :-(
    Not at all, the right laptop will do just fine, you can use a stand and even special laptop cooling fans as well to make doubly sure (they're only a few quid)

There's a thread somewhere here about that very subject

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...ghlight=laptop
    Last edited by Kriss; 08-04-2012 at 10:00.

Semi Pro

ah yes cooling laptop fan stands, they work great

Amateur

thanks follks. have spotted a decent spec that should work okay

Amateur

I had a similar problem with my PC, only it was minecraft/openttd killing it...

Check out the power supply and how much power the CPU/GPU/Motherboard need. If it's only just enough consider upgrading the power supply. Also, as previously mentioned, installing another fan should help (the AMD stock fans are absolutely awful, if that's your CPU).

+ Reply to Thread