Is FM12 one of the best CM/FMs of all time?

Hi,

Being a long time fan of the series, I have seen the best and the worst during the years of the series. From the magnificient CM 00/01, followed by CM 01/02, passing by CM 03/04 and FM06 to the horribly buggy CM4, the rather bad FM09.

Anyway talking to a friend yesterday during our FM game, he said that FM12 is one of the best that has come out during recent years and placing itself as one of the best CM/FM. I agree with him as in recent years I have seen a decline in my fm playing. This is also because of more responsabilities coming along as you grow up, but this fm I have really enjoyed playing it.

I wouldn't say it is the number 1 of them all, also having in mind that the cm is also part of my childhood and therefore i'm biased because of that, but this fm deserves praising.

So is FM12 one the best of the series?

FM07 for me, from the perspective of how many hours I got out of it and the level of addiction.

More aspects of FM12 have disappointed me than excited me. Kind of like a really hot girl, but when you get to know her you realise her personality is lacking and she is clumsy in bed. But you keep going back in hope because she looks pretty.

hate FM12

I'm tempted to go with that response as well tbh, I maybe wouldn't quite go so far to say I actually hate it but it has without doubt been easily the least enjoyable and most frustrating version of the series I've ever played.

I fear SI are losing sight of what makes the game actually fun to play in their relentless pursuit of 'realism', despite the fact that as soon as 'Joe Bloggs' takes control of X F.C ousting the previous manager who'd held the position for 10 + years and presses continue realism is gone right there.

Then there's the fact that every player in the game is constantly on the verge of a complete mental breakdown, the horrendous click and hope for the best nature of all the in game ai interaction, the mind numbing press conferences which I still wouldn't use if the game had true ai and infinite questions, utterly infuriating squad registration rules that mean by 2020 if you've bought more than half a dozen players over 18 yrs old your left having to register a squad of 19 players + a bunch of horribly underdeveloped newgens, which have absolutely no hope of ever making it into my first team squad since even though he's a 19 year old rated as 1 gold star for Manchester City by my Assistant, not one single football club on the planet is remotely interested in taking him on loan for 0 fee and 0 wages.

Finally, if this reads like an "I can't win so the game is rubbish" rant, I can honestly say it's not. I have a world class squad, money to burn and 7 trophies in two seasons at Man City, but some of these issues caused by the strive for realism only serve to break my immersion in the game itself and make it harder to enjoy the successes when they do come along.

I have played since I think 06, or could be 07. But the year on year progression has never failed to impress, but this years game has held me like no other. Normally after 5 or 6 seasons i start a fresh, I am currently into 2020 for the second time. That is 8 season, last time went 10 then only stopped as had to have time away from it and felt like a new one.

FM12 best yet, can't wait for 13 though!

Better than FM11,which in my opinion was the worst FM so far. Doesn't beat FM10 certainly.

Like slinpknot said,it's getting tiresome having to take care of little whiny babies that may stop playing well because a polar bear yawned in the north pole or whatever.

The focus on what to improve has been a bit bad as well, the ability to remove leagues is nice,but team talks aren't anything special, match preparation was the worst idea ever and agents are ruining the game really often as well. While on the meantime the FM11 match engine is as horrendous as ever for the sake of "realistic results", the transfer system hasn't improved a single bit and selling players is close to impossible for years now.

But at least they removed the AI press conferences that caused your players to have their morale drop to abysmal overnight. I guess one step forward is something.

It's "good",but certainly not the best.

Likely best in recent years with the main things coming together but for it's time 07 and 08 are right up there. Needs a big revolution on the tactical side(defensive and attacking shapes) and the continuation improvements to the match engine for it to reach the next level as seems like it been similar the last 3 years as the main changes have been fully put in place.

FM11 is my favourite. FM12 looks brilliant but the player search is annoying, maybe if 12 had 11's player search it would be better.

FM12 has the scouting pool though, which is one of my favourite additions to the game.

Where is the scouting pool located, bloody heck i still dont even know if some of the new features or small things in the games.

FM12 is good, but 07-11 are my favourite. But FM11 was great as i had my longest save on it and had the best success.

Oh that is what i do usually, wasnt "get report Card" in previous versions.

Also i usually work out from that how good the player is, do you and others mostly get scout reports from matches over a period of time, i just try to get their general perspective of the player and everything from the "get report card".

Not really sure why these threads get started to be fair, and no im not having a pop at you the soul :) all i mean is you'll never get a definitive out come as obviously every one as different views, some will say yes some will say no some will say not sure, just best to judge for yourself

What's that?

The big clubs in the majority of countries aren't fielding proper teams in domestic cups, just untried under 18's and reserves. For me, that's a deal breaker. Man Utd got destroyed 7 - nil in the FA Cup by QPR because they had no first-team players.

FM12 could go down in history as the most disappointing installment in the glorious history of the franchise...

For starters the Steam-only fiasco [not gonna to reopen the debate about the choice itself, which I still feel was debatable at best, but surely it should have handled better by SEGA/SI when announcing and promoting the game].

Then the game is still plagued by the long-term flaws we've been experiencing and reporting for years... Mediocre AI squad building, absurd managerial appointments, horrid media interaction, players acting like bratty kids, erratic match engine...

And the icing on the cake, the long-awaited, potentially game-changing, "Add/Remove Leagues" feature that could have finally made long-term games interesting and worth playing even with all the aforementioned AI shortcomings... well, that feature turned out to be as buggy as the rest.

Not only it causes the DB to expand itself beyond the point of playability, but it also a neverending source of crashes and savegame corruption [as shown by the insane amout of reports in the Bugs section].

FM12 had potential, but the old idiosyncrasies of SI/SEGA/FM just killed all the promises and left us with yet another "kinda ok if you're forgiving and lucky enough not to get many save-killing crashes" version.

A better questions could be: is FM12 the straw that breaks the camel's back and we'll finally get something truly NEW next year instead of a glorified data update "with a new hat"?

Whole franchise headed downhill for me from 09 onwards, with the introduction of new "fun" features without addressing so many of the important core gameplay problems that people complained about regularly.

Investing development time and money in to press conferences and 3D mode just makes me sick to my stomach.

SI are so badly aiming current versions at the console gamer kiddie market, it's starting to make EA look like a responsible developer.

Yes, I know that obviously people will have different views but I felt i'd like to know what younger and older players of this game felt about it.

I mean speaking for myself I always have played with some kind of graphics enhancement going from background pack in cm to facepack, kits etc.. but thats my why of enhancing my playing and adding realism. Anyway speaking of fm12 i feel personally feel the game has taken good step but that many things could be made better.

For example the biggest setback for me is the CA/PA question. The system in itself is good, but i would like sometimes that attributes would change more dramatically. What I am trying to say is that in real life you see some young player pop up from nowhere, Oxlade-Chamberlain being one for example. Not just him but sometimes players that maybe have been so-so for some time then have one season where they really explode.

I would sometimes like to see a young player get a boost in CA and maybe PA, because they are so many young players existing in the database that just end up nowwhere, staying too static.

I would say it's right up there as 1 of the best FM/CM games but my favorite is still FM07, I spent many hours playing it which also coincided with moving in with my missus who was at college at the time so I had loads of hours on my own which was spent turning Saints into a force in world football!

Football Manager 12.2.2 is the best football management simulation ever IMO.

That man speaks the truth, i had a great long term save on 11 i never thought id beat, but 12 has completely surpassed that for me, no crashes or anything else in 25 seasons so far, apart from team meetings taking longer than John Terry trying to get back i dont really see the issue and with Steam they have fixed things quicker than ever. Bring on 13! :)

Its funny how one man's meat is another mans poison. I am currently having my second longest save of all time so am loving it and believe FM12 to be the best so far. The last time I enjoyed it so much was FM09 which seem to have gotten a bit of stick.

I think the game is progressing really well and find it so much better the the old click and win games although I lost my childhood to those lol

The overall product FM12 is likely the best ever. There are still many things that are annoying and which could possibly ruin a gaming experience. For instance, the add/remove leagues feature ruins savegames, the football itself is too open and slow (caused by the ME only "activating" two players at any one time), the AI is still too weak and that is the core feature of a game like this. The worst thing of all is the decision to lump even more importance to the faulty Reputation system by adding "difficulty" to the choice of managing experience. I mean, why didn't SI take a good look at the four choices and realize that none of them would let any of their customers have a go at the morale/team talk feature the first couple of seasons (if ever)?

The best one in terms of fun and addictness is CM97-98 and in close second FM07 and long distant third FM06. The bottom of the list was FM09, it was worse then CM4.

^^This.

FM12 makes me feel like I am a damn shrink trying to make my players feel better about themselves and God forbid you should change a player from "key player" too "important player",all hell breaks loose.

FM12 could go down in history as the most disappointing installment in the glorious history of the franchise...

For starters the Steam-only fiasco [not gonna to reopen the debate about the choice itself, which I still feel was debatable at best, but surely it should have handled better by SEGA/SI when announcing and promoting the game].

Then the game is still plagued by the long-term flaws we've been experiencing and reporting for years... Mediocre AI squad building, absurd managerial appointments, horrid media interaction, players acting like bratty kids, erratic match engine...

And the icing on the cake, the long-awaited, potentially game-changing, "Add/Remove Leagues" feature that could have finally made long-term games interesting and worth playing even with all the aforementioned AI shortcomings... well, that feature turned out to be as buggy as the rest.

Not only it causes the DB to expand itself beyond the point of playability, but it also a neverending source of crashes and savegame corruption [as shown by the insane amout of reports in the Bugs section].

FM12 had potential, but the old idiosyncrasies of SI/SEGA/FM just killed all the promises and left us with yet another "kinda ok if you're forgiving and lucky enough not to get many save-killing crashes" version.

A better questions could be: is FM12 the straw that breaks the camel's back and we'll finally get something truly NEW next year instead of a glorified data update "with a new hat"?

Sadly got to agree with this.

After spending the first 2 months after the games release trying to convince SI the game had easiness issues. To finally get them looked at and fixed (somewhat), then spent the next 3 months working within a buggy editor to make an indepth database with expanded league structure, then finally as of last month starting my long over due save, I find out the add/remove leagues feature has effectively destroyed my save game after just 9 seasons, and many other players' saves too. What a complete waste of time the last 6 months have been with FM12 for me.

FM12 had the potential to be the best, but I really do think SI should stop adding features for a year or two and just concentrate on the ones that we already have.

i have had alot of enjoyment out of the whole series, each version for me has pros and cons, doesn't stop me like a sheep buying the next installment in line, i would be lying if i said i don't get enjoyment out of each version and i suppose that's what a game is all about. My bug bear is probably the fact that this year FM12 was obviously unfinished when released although subsequent patches have brought things up to speed, i think when your big corps like Sega demand that deadlines are made no matter what stage the game is at is the main failing for me.

I must agree FM 12 is the best through all series. But playing it long hours, you can notice that although many improvements 3D match i very schematic. For me the worst thing is so many CORNERS shown during match! It's very annoying. I think SI should make 3D matches more spectacular, just look in real football. Yes, yes I know it's not that easy but they really improved 3D and they should focus on this, in my opinon of course.

I think it's one of the best version to date. This is just my opinion.

The 3d match engine gets better with every version. And i'm looking forward to FM2013...especially if it does have the new match engine they are "rumoured" to be working on.

I wish they would improve the sounds though, they seem to have been overlooked in the last few versions.

I guess i just want a bit more atmosphere when watching the 3d matches.

I went back to FM2011. I didn't feel the interface changes in Fm2012 really made things more efficient, it at least felt like I needed more clicks to get what I wanted, and sometimes it could have displayed some information but didnt for some reason. Also I know it's little, and petty, but I didn't like the whole assistant manager getting awards thing, if I want to be lazy and speed through games I'd like to. I'm not suggesting that change be reverted for Fm2013 though, just that they add a better way to go quickly through matches, like clicking on a timer, and it skipping to that point (assuming no injuries or red cards happen inbetween) So I can still "manage the side" but skip great portions of it should I want to.

And before people say, no, changing it to commentary only and super-fast isnt an option because then it'll start the next game with those options *and* it's fiddly and slower than I'd like.

Either way, I want a way to speed up the game without it crediting my assistant with manager of the month/year if I holiday some easy matches.

• 2 weeks later...

What on earth is Horse Racing Manager doing in there? :confused: :D

Other than that, I also have bought and played all of those CMs and FMs! Started off with CM2 and never looked back! Many happy hours in virtual football management!

Looking back, I think CM2, CM03/04, FM07 and FM10 have been the best versions for me in terms of hours played and levels of addiction. In fact, I can state categorically that this is the case. Those four versions, more than any others, saw me really addicted and putting a ton of hours into the games! Out of the more recent versions, I think FM10 was great and was a real return to form in my opinion.

As for FM12, I'm playing it and somewhat enjoying it. There are a few disappointments though and it won't knock FM10 off its throne for me personally. I have to say that there are a number of decisions and features included on FM12 that I don't really enjoy and I don't understand why some of them were added! But that's just my opinion. It's still a good game but not the best of all time in my list of my favourite virtual football management experiences.

Archived