How do YOU search for the next-gen youth talent????

As the title says "How do YOU search for the next-gen youth talent"????

This is what I do.

After the regens have appeared in a particular country, either that day or a few days later,

I search the youth teams of all top clubs and academies in that country, player by player.

If they have good attributes I scout them.

If the report gives them 2.5 stars or more they make my shortlist and if 3 stars or more I offer them a contract sometimes after getting their matches scouted.

If they have really good attributes I offer them a contract straight away.

I have noted that Argentine and Brazilian regens have got insanely good attributes probably due to a higher starting CA. After 2 seasons I seemed to have got a lot of potential wonderkids.

I sometimes feel like I am robbing them from other teams having to pay only a small compensation.

So WHAT DO YOU DO???

I let my scouts go to work, no longer have the patience to manual scout teams looking for regens.

So sending them to youth competitions is what i do, Toulon Tournament, U-19 and U-21 European Championship, Under-20 World Cup, African youth Championship and on, and of course they are scouting regions looking mostly for young players.

I just never stop looking for players :)

The scouts are off doing their thing in various corners of the world, South America, France, England. I play in Serie A though, so its no sense in looking purely at non-EU players, as I can only bring in ONE every year! Then there will be scouts sent to youth tournaments and int'l tournaments. But I mean, if I see a high scoring game period, in the French league, La Liga, etc. I will see if there was a standout player in that game (Both in terms of scoring, or assists, or even had a great defensive game) and scout him. Of course if its Mexico U20s against Canada U20s I discount the performances quite a lot. But if I see a player have a good game in a derby or cup final, well, that is telling you quite clearly that the player is a hell of a big game player!

Also, I tend to look at good to pretty good players and if I am kind of interested but not sold entirely I will actually check well, hey, where did this kid come from? Who scouted him, where did he originate, etc? So I will end up looking at some of these smaller European teams who often buy highly touted youngsters to see if they have someone in their ranks, or even check their upcoming transfers, and see if they have some unknown Brazilian arriving in the next transfer window! If I buy, for eg. a pacy striker from Ajax, I will see who sign to replace the lad, and more often than not the replacement will be in the same mould!

At this point my youth squad has too many players already so when I go scouting for certain attributes I always have to check my own team first, there is just so much talent waiting to be developed, and sometimes you get so eager to bring in someone new you forget that you have a player with same or better potential already in the ranks!

Yeah I seem to find a lot of strikers this way.

But centre backs are hard to find.

What attributes should I look at?

Besides tackling, marking, heading, positioning, concentration, anticipation what physical attribute should I look at.

I find that if a person is decent at jumping he is extremely slow and vice versa.

I let my scouts go to work, no longer have the patience to manual scout teams looking for regens.

So sending them to youth competitions is what i do, Toulon Tournament, U-19 and U-21 European Championship, Under-20 World Cup, African youth Championship and on, and of course they are scouting regions looking mostly for young players.

Same here. Thats what scouts are for. Besides if I scoured too much I'd end up with too many players which may well hamper the development of some. If I can't keep every player match fit, even by reserve or youth matches, then I have too many players.

My scouts are set up the same, as well as to raom a certain area, only look for players under 18 who have a potential of very good.

when in transfer centre, I set my criteria to -

under 18

Determination 14

click on the age so the youngest show before the oldest and do a manual search of each player, scout whoever catches my fancy, only 15 yr olds or 14 yr olds for me. Unless an increadible 16 year old shows up that I can afford.

I also have a look at national teams, specificaly the ones I have loaded from my start screen.

Filter player search for 17 and under

Sort by value

Scout loads of them, usually around 1000

Ignore any with 3 star potential or less

Make offers for 4 star or more

Wait until all reports are in, then evaluate the 3.5 stars and sign the best/most needed ones

Filter player search for 17 and under

Sort by value

Scout loads of them, usually around 1000

Ignore any with 3 star potential or less

Make offers for 4 star or more

Wait until all reports are in, then evaluate the 3.5 stars and sign the best/most needed ones

I do it in a similar way. I set the filters to 18 or younger, value at least 100,000 and sort the results by unique ID. This way the newest generated players are at the top of the list. Now I scout basically everyone and have a look at the 3.5+ stars reports.

I have specific scouts on the main leagues - Spain, Italy, Holland etc and continually scout these nations. Then I filter the results to show players under 17 and in value order. Generally the better players will be the higher value ones but not always. I have a look over them and look at the main stats for their positions and then you basically take a gamble on them.

I also have a palyer search filter set up as well. i set up an Under 17 filter to search any players with a maximum age of 17 and again in value order with a minimum value of £3m. I do the same for Brazilian and Argentinian nationality but with a minimum value of £2m. I then go in a few times a year to these searches and just have a look at them. If they look good I send my South American scout to scout them and concentrate on his reports.

For me, i make sure my scouts are top notch to get the most accurate reports from them.

I have found so many good players this way.

Yeah I seem to find a lot of strikers this way.

But centre backs are hard to find.

What attributes should I look at?

Besides tackling, marking, heading, positioning, concentration, anticipation what physical attribute should I look at.

I find that if a person is decent at jumping he is extremely slow and vice versa.

Then a) keep looking for the exceptions, b) compromise, c) have one centre back cover the weakness of the other and vice versa.

I finally find a great LB, sign him, turns out he was born in Turin! What! Thats crazy, I signed a home team kid, when did I release/sell him? He has 18 pace and 18 jumping right now, pretty much at his peak. Well, guess what, he came through the Torino ranks! Not European Champions many times over Juventus, with the best youth facilities and the most extensive youth recruitment network, he comes through Torino, the Serie B neighbors!!! Any way, thank God I didn't have to negotiate with Torino, he was already playing in Spain at that point, fans would have crucified me, and the player would maybe refused!

Sometimes you can get the future World Class CBs when they still cost 10m or so, but other times if the price is 20m you just have to pay it! Thats what the money is sitting in the bank for, right!

• 3 months later...

1. I let my scouts scout the U18/19/20 leagues in every playable country.

2. I let my scouts scout the Uxx tournaments (but often I miss them)

3. Once or twice a season I screen through the U21 national teams of the nations whose players my club may be able to attract (depends on who I am, no need to look at the English/Italian/German/Spanish U21 when not playing an EPL team), then scout all players which are 18 or younger

1. send me scouts round the world for players with age at the most 18/19

2. use player search for players at max age 18/19 and look at the atts and scout the ones who have good atts

3. scout all players at trial days

I only manually scout in certain nations so I can get in quick. In my current long term save I'm Dortmund, so focusing mainly on German youth. You need to snatch these up quick if you don't want to pay huge sums down the track. Other than that just using a player search u17 and scouting does the trick. I can't be bothered with manual scouting all major nations anymore. Also, checking u19/20/23 national sides is a good way of finding players from more obscure nations.

Player search, under 17 (or 16), sort by value. Scout the top 100 or so. Go back regularly and check if anyone else has popped up.

Also browse youth teams occasionally with a custom view showing things like age, value, wage, club, squad status, personality, scout reports (in case my scout has already seen them), and some key stats and attributes. Promising players will stand out by having certain combinations of those things, and they get scouted.

I generally have a big staff of scouts searching all the major regions just for players under 21.

Then every so often I will do a lazy search, by just searching for players under 18/17 and sorting by attributes.

Occasionally I will take some more time doing a more comprehensive search, manually going through major clubs/nations youth teams and looking through big value youngsters and signing or scouting them. My persistence with this form of scouting is directly proportional to my level of boredom at the time!

I use several methods:

1. Obviously the scouts. I've got a few of them (and very good ones that is, JP & JA of at least 18) and they monitor a number of countries in Europe and South America, sometimes I send them to Africa, Asia, etc. Once they find someone they think is a potential star for the top division, who seems to fit in the squad well (now I pay more attention to players' personality than I used to), has good level of ambition, consistency, plays well in important matches and is not too prone to injuries, and doesn't cost much (I hate to spend more than a few million euros on players, and some of my best players cost me around 3M (I signed them as 18-20 year olds)) I consider signing that player.

2. Every now and then I would go through major nations' U19 and U21 teams and search for promising looking players and then have them scouted.

3. On the 'newgen creation day' I also browse through every club from top two divisions of the country I play in in search for youngsters that have their wages higher that the rest of the youth intake. This suggests they have higher potential than their colleagues. Since they are out of contract is easy to sign them.

I set the nationality filter to basque and filter on 16 or younger...and scout everyone that shows up, I normaly do this about one week after every youth intake, but then again playing as Athletic (and with slightly hardball self imposed take on the cantera policy) would mean that im doing it a tad differently compared to the rest of you

I have a my scouts scouting every region of the world to get the maximal knowledge of players.

Then I use a lot of filters, e.g. "Young Internationals" (=National is team is main, age is at most 20), "Base Skills" (=Determination, Passing, Pace, Decisions >= 12) and position-based filters.

Archived