Football Manager Handheld 2012 (Android) Feedback Thread

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Just to clarify from the press release - it'll work on any Android device which is Android 2.2 and above WITH a resolution of at least 480x320 (most Android phones are above this but there are a very few below it so its worth mentioning imho).

• SI Staff
How many Football Manager options are actually available on handheld devices? I am aware that it is a stripped-down version but what it's like?

If you're old enough - Think about our earlier titles back around 2001 and you'll have a decent vision of what I aimed for when I designed the Handheld games, its slimlines and faster to play than FM PC - but still feels realistic and most importantly fun :D

(you have fairly deep training, tactics and transfer options but not the minutae of items which are present in the PC game)

If you're old enough - Think about our earlier titles back around 2001 and you'll have a decent vision of what I aimed for when I designed the Handheld games, its slimlines and faster to play than FM PC - but still feels realistic and most importantly fun :D

(you have fairly deep training, tactics and transfer options but not the minutae of items which are present in the PC game)

Of course, that version still holds a very special place in my heart. :) Very excited to try it out then! :)

• SI Staff
if only the pc game was still like that, please keep it like that forever, sorry this is @marcvaughan

The aim is to ensure that FMH always stays as a streamlines and faster experience than the FM PC one, don't worry.

Just to clarify from the press release - it'll work on any Android device which is Android 2.2 and above WITH a resolution of at least 480x320 (most Android phones are above this but there are a very few below it so its worth mentioning imho).

About the resolution. Does this include 320x480 (which is sort of "standard" measuring for that resolution)? (Just asking, I don't know if there is any phone with 480x320, thanks.)

About the resolution. Does this include 320x480 (which is sort of "standard" measuring for that resolution)? (Just asking' date=' I don't know if there is any phone with 480x320, thanks.)[/quote']

From my experience (I haven't really checked with a debugger), when you rotate your phone the resolution changes to 480x320.

• SI Staff
Great news for si and android users, but don't forget about the more important iDevices ;) Oh and the PSP

As always I'll do my best to ensure that all the games are as good as possible (and none is more or less important than another imho).

• SI Staff
Omg mark and the development team you are GODS! Will it work on my galaxy tab 10.1? If not I have my desire HD! So pumped for this!

It'll work fine on both the Galaxy Tab (we have one in QA which its been tested on) as well as your DesireHD :D

(you'll also be able to move save games between the two if you want to)

Really, any? That's great news.

I have never encountered an Android app/game where you had to pay twice to have the game running across 2 devices. Apps/games are usually tied to your Google account, not device. I assume this would be the same with FMH?

• SI Staff
Ah sweet that'll be good for when I'm bored at work. Will I have to pay for it once or twice?

As with iOS - purchase it once and install it onto whatever Android devices you have, it'll automatically adapt to the resolutions of each when installed.

• SI Staff
So when we were all pleading on the android thread, the crafty development team were already hard at work on it?

If you re-read my answers in the forums over the last year or two you'll see a subtle shift from 'no we're not doing it' to 'its very difficult and I hope we'll be able to support it at some stage' ....

(my mum taught me to be a good boy and not lie .... but I'm allowed subtle misdirection ;) )

• SI Staff
Haha very sly mark, roll on Wednesday!!! What time will it roughly be available from?

Its not something I'll be triggering myself - but I believe it'll be sometime in the afternoon (UK time) ... I don't think an exact time is given purely because its our first android release and we have no idea the amount of time taken for it to replicate into the stores etc. ... as soon as its available I'll be online and shouting about it, don't worry ;)

• SI Staff
Will it be the same on tablets as on phones, or do you use the additional space for a more detailed UI?

For the initial release the layout will be the same on Tablets as on Phones - however moving forward (to post release updates) I'm expecting us to do a dedicated tablet skin once we know the most popular tablet resolutions out there, that will probably follow a similar pattern to the iPad skin and have additional data shown in tables and possibly a squad selection page optimized specifically for the tablets.

(the main thing for the initial release was to get the game ready, stable, playable and 'fun' tbh - something I'm pleased to say we've done :D)

Will definitely get it :D

But can you go deeper into it?

• SI Staff
Will definitely get it :D

But can you go deeper into it?

What do you mean exactly? - with regards to depth I'm afraid that a forum post isn't probably sufficient for explaining the game fully - I'd recommend you read some of the discussions about tactics, training etc. on these forums and one other unofficial ones such as FMHVibe, Vibe has a lot of good articles about aspects of the iOS version of the game as well - which will give you a good idea of what to expect on the Android (as they share a common codebase).

How difficult was it in the end to move it onto Android? I'm intrigued lol, even though you were playing us the entire time. I'm just curious how you got around the different versions each manufacturer has of Android?

• SI Staff
How difficult was it in the end to move it onto Android? I'm intrigued lol, even though you were playing us the entire time. I'm just curious how you got around the different versions each manufacturer has of Android?

It was fairly challenging at times - especially when I was initially getting to grips with things and learning all the new 'gotchas' which come with developing for a new target operating system and hardware.

(with regards to specific issues with manufacturers, versions etc. - I won't go into detail but there were a fair few 'surprises', some nice ... some not so much ;) )

I'm really pleased with how the game has turned out and I've learnt a heck of a lot about the platform while doing it and am confident that a lot more functionality can be shoehorned onto the platform going forward as I continue to experiment with it ...

For the initial release the layout will be the same on Tablets as on Phones - however moving forward (to post release updates) I'm expecting us to do a dedicated tablet skin once we know the most popular tablet resolutions out there, that will probably follow a similar pattern to the iPad skin and have additional data shown in tables and possibly a squad selection page optimized specifically for the tablets.

(the main thing for the initial release was to get the game ready, stable, playable and 'fun' tbh - something I'm pleased to say we've done :D)

A dedicated tablet skin... the news just keeps on getting better.

I don't read/post on here that much, so my apologies if this question has been asked, but with tablets becoming more powerful, especially with the dual and quad core devices out there, is it reasonable to say we will be seeing a 3D match engine anytime soon or is this not feasible at the moment?

Appreciate all the hard work you put in to getting the Android version of this out there, i've been a fan of this game since the original Amiga 500 release back in the early 90's, back in the days of the great Darius Spetyla and Nii Lamptey. Amazing how much the game has evolved since then.

Australia - A League

Belgium - Division 1, Division 2

Brazil - Serie A, Serie B

England - Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, Blue Square Premier, Blue Square South, Blue Square North

France - Ligue 1, Ligue 2, National

Germany - Bundesliga, Bundesliga 2, 3. Bundesliga

Holland - Eredivisie, Eerste Divisie

Italy - Serie A, Serie B, Serie C1 (4 divisions)

Portugal - Division 1, Division 2

Scotland - SPL, Division 1, Division 2, Division 3

Spain - Liga BBVA, Liga Adalente, Liga 3 (3/4 divisions)

Wales - Premier League

Apologies for the names/any I may have missed I did it off the top of my head.

:-D Haven't been addicted to FM for a while (due to time restraints). Going back to the roots like this could drag me right back though! Nice one guys.

• SI Staff
Will it be possible to sync a game between two devices? Perhaps using Dropbox and/or Tasker?

Save games will be movable between Android devices, how you want to undertake that happening is entirely up to yourselves (support for such things isn't present in the game currently - but it is something I'm considering for the future, if anyone has recommendations for a system they think would work then let me know).

(in a similar way you'll be able to swap tactics, shortlists and suchlike if you want to - either between your own devices or with friends)

Archived