Goalkeeper Distribution.

Goalkeeper #1

oej1y.jpg

Goalkeeper #2

0Hrl3.jpg

Instructions

AGCLR.jpg

Goalkeeper #1 follows the distribution instructions consistently, passing it to the left back if possible, if not picking out another defender. Only kicks it long if the short pass definitely isn't on. Goalkeeper #2 consistently ignores his instructions and keeps smashing the ball up at the lone striker, i.e conceeding possession nearly every time. Why?

Possible ideas:

A) Teamwork - Much lower on #2

B) #2 is fairly new to the team and hasn't fully understood tactics yet?

C) Mixture of hidden attributes - #2 is either less professional, less likely to follow orders or maybe even struggling to see the pass to the defender due to pressure issues.

EDIT

D) #2 thinks he is more creative and is trying to create chances (Through ball often in instructions).

It would also maybe help to see the screen with player info on regarding star ratings/strengths/weaknesses etc.

Isn't creativity important for the GK to "see" the options he has to pass on the pitch? With a creativity of only 2 he just kicks it long because he can't "see" the passing options on the pitch.

Decisions is also slightly lower.. don't think it's making the difference though.

I'd exclude the second part of C), pressure isn't (at least seemingly) a problem - I follow the motivation widget closely. A) I did spot myself but it makes no sense really and shouldn't be a factor in my opinion - how is a long punt more selfish option than a simple pass? B) is also something I considered - it's his first season at the club but he's now been there for almost a year and there's no change. If it is that there should be gradual improvement, no?

Isn't creativity important for the GK to "see" the options he has to pass on the pitch? With a creativity of only 2 he just kicks it long because he can't "see" the passing options on the pitch.

Decisions is also slightly lower.. don't think it's making the difference though.

Well the other guy at 5 isn't exactly Paul Scholes either. Besides, I'd personally find it easier to see a guy standing 10 feet from me showing for a pass than I would someone who's being tightly marked 60 yards away

Well the other guy at 5 isn't exactly Paul Scholes either. Besides, I'd personally find it easier to see a guy standing 10 feet from me showing for a pass than I would someone who's being tightly marked 60 yards away

He isn't trying to pass to the striker 60 yards away he simply sees a general boot forward as a safer option compared to a pass to a defender.

EDIT

D) #2 thinks he is more creative and is trying to create chances (Through ball often in instructions).

It would also maybe help to see the screen with player info on regarding star ratings/strengths/weaknesses etc.

Already tried to change through ball instructions (and lowering passing, mentality, creative freedom), no change.

Report GK #1

onnQe.jpg

Report GK #2

QoDzF.jpg

He isn't trying to pass to the striker 60 yards away he simply sees a general boot forward as a safer option compared to a pass to a defender.

He always aims it straight at the striker. The striker just hardly ever wins the challenge.

Nothing sticks out but if you have a coach with Goalkeeping as a speciality he will give more information on the two players.

The main questions you need to answer are:

A) Does he try to follow instructions.

B) Can he see the pass.

C) If he can see the pass does he consider it too risky.

Your general boot forward although you say he always aims for the striker he isn't really, its just a general direction + the striker moving to challenge for the ball.

On visible evidence the second GK's weakness is shared with the first, (Communication both=8) but the coach feels he has a greater weakness, I would guess that this level for Communication together with a slightly lower level in Command Of Area, Throwing, Decisions and Teamwork could be why he isn't following your instructions.

EDIT: You could try setting GK2's passing to Shorter.

The only additional info my GK coaches give is that neither of them 'relish the big occasions'.

A) definitely not since he NEVER passes it short. When he has to throw it it's different.

B) I don't see why he shouldn't, since the ME makes the LB show for the pass by dropping out of the defensive line and nearer to him.

C) again, at times I'd accept that but he NEVER makes the pass. It can't seem too risky each and every time especially when his instructions are rather attack minded i.e not forcing him to pay safe.

Why I'm asking the question in the first place is so I could avoid purchasing keepers in the future that don't obey my instructions. Need to know what specifically makes them do that. I can only use the other guy against very poor opposition because against teams that try to attack me he's severely hurting my tactics.

TBH I don't think your going to get a straight answer.

As with many things in FM its prob not one particular attribute but a mixture of several and how they interact when used in the ME.

When signing players you always run a small risk of them not fitting in with how you want to play and on this occasion you seem to have found one that doesn't. I don't feel this should change how you approach transfers overall you just need to accept that every once in a while you'll sign someone who just doesn't fit in the way you want him to.

TBH I don't think your going to get a straight answer.

As with many things in FM its prob not one particular attribute but a mixture of several and how they interact when used in the ME.

When signing players you always run a small risk of them not fitting in with how you want to play and on this occasion you seem to have found one that doesn't. I don't feel this should change how you approach transfers overall you just need to accept that every once in a while you'll sign someone who just doesn't fit in the way you want him to.

While that is a fair point, it's too specific an issue for me to just accept it as 'just one of those things'. I mean, I'm specifically telling a player to do one thing (pretty much the only thing you can strictly instruct within current tactical system) and he ignores it completely. It's not a difficult instruction to follow either. I'm sure there must be a leading factor in this and I'm leaning towards 'teamwork' at the moment.

I mean, just take a look at the passing charts of the two (just a one game sample of course but it's the same every time)

uyoTW.jpg19nvN.jpg

Well I've done my preseason testing now and it seems (very) low teamwork and creativity are indeed main issues that make GK's not play short passes - which is more important I couldn't work out because as a general rule when a keeper has one at 1 or 2 they'll also have the other at about the same figure. It also links to overall team tempo and width somehow, and maybe mentalities for defenders as I got GK#2 to at least sometimes pass it short when I went for a more patient short passing tactic instead of a wide direct one.

Archived