Are Transfer Budgets/Wage Budgets too low?

First off this isn't a whinge or a moan about the game just an observation. Usually I play with Leeds (life long fan) and I have always thought the amount they get is pitiful but then again Master Bates is chairmen so maybe not a suprise. However in my new save I decided to play as MK Dons, I wasn't suprised to find I had no money to spend in my first season and very little in the way of wages spare to get a couple of freebies. However after a pretty successful first season I got them promoted and was looking forward to a busy transfer window to bring in 3/4 half decent players to make sure I secure a spot in the championship by the end of the coming season. The board gave me 38k transfer money and 2k LESS wage budget than i had the previous season.

Now I know that MK Dons have money issues on the game, think their finances are insecure at the start of 2011/2012 campaign (half the reason i chose them, for the challenge) however i was expecting a bit of a financial gain after being promoted to the championship.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the transfer/wage budgets on this game?

With Leeds it maybe the chairman since you do have a very nice revenue maker with that big stadium of yours. I started a game with AFC Wimbledon and their tiny stadium (and it is small) so was not really surprised when I got very little after promotion to League 1. Got a "huge" budget of maybe 300k for promotion to the Championship but with 55% of the revenue of transfers coming through, I still managed to do ok. Has to be said though that most of my transfer money is edited to go into my wage budget.... Those free players can be expensive!

Those free players can be expensive!

Yep no doubt, but a good way of keeping wage demands down is to up the agent fee a bit, saves you and the club a lot of money in the long term with wages.

Cant believe you got 300k for promotion to championship, it must just be the financial situation of Dons. Must be worse than i first thought lol

The new feature of setting the budgets early is great but at the same time i don't know if they consider the revenue the club is getting on the new season, the budgets are always low even if you are getting a lot of TV revenue in the new division.

just before the new transfer window i just found out i earnt 3 times the average on sponsorship during my first season. 675k injected into the club through that and then i got the tv rights through for the coming season. My transfer budget rose to 85k (because i stated i was going to get the team into mid table) and i got 38k wage budget. Very low, but all that transfer money put into wages makes about 43k so ive got something to play with at least.

I'm now getting annoyed that because im the championship Bolton (my parent club) are asking me to pay loan fees and half the wages of any of their half decent players so i cant get them. What the hell is the point in parent clubs?

It seems like the transfer and wage budget are in large part driven by your current balance, with a nod towards expected income and board ambition perhaps. So far I've found that most wage budgets given have been more generous than the actual economics of the club can support long-term. For example, as newly promoted Southampton with a $ -5M balance, I was still offered a $25M transfer budget and a decent increase in wage budget. It was probably a bit higher than what was fiscally responsible, but it clearly took into account the TV revenue of the upcoming season. Southampton's board is pretty ambitious too, so perhaps they are pushing the envelope a smidge as a result?

It seems like the transfer and wage budget are in large part driven by your current balance, with a nod towards expected income and board ambition perhaps. So far I've found that most wage budgets given have been more generous than the actual economics of the club can support long-term. For example, as newly promoted Southampton with a $ -5M balance, I was still offered a $25M transfer budget and a decent increase in wage budget. It was probably a bit higher than what was fiscally responsible, but it clearly took into account the TV revenue of the upcoming season. Southampton's board is pretty ambitious too, so perhaps they are pushing the envelope a smidge as a result?

Yeah when you get Leeds promoted to prem you get 25m to spend. I myself thought this was a little generous.

I guess with Dons they are in a financially insecure place so it shouldn't be a suprise that the budgets are low, also i dont think that the board really expect us to stay up so might be another reason

Archived